PDA

View Full Version : Longevity of factory bimini

2QWICK
01-26-2007, 03:25 PM
We requested a factory bimini when we purchased our X30 but they didn't have any so it was on order. Well 4 months later its in and ready to be installed but based on the current shape and fading of my black cover I am hesitant to drop the $800+ on the OEM unit. Is there anyone on here that can speak to the quality and color fastness (if thats a word) of the OEM black as compaired to one of the aftermarket units?

Thanks in advance!!

BrianM
01-26-2007, 03:29 PM
If its Sunbrella it should hold up awsome. If not then all bets are off. Don't think that the factory covers are Sunbrella. Don't know about the biminis.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:32 PM
If its Sunbrella it should hold up awsome. If not then all bets are off. Don't think that the factory covers are Sunbrella. Don't know about the biminis.

When I purchased my factory bimini for my 93 (in 2003), my salesman told me to get white instead of red because red would fade over time. It is sunbrella for the record (or at least mine is).

Whether he was right or not, I really like the white top and keeping it clean has been a nonissue. That said, if I had a top of any other color, I'd be hitting it with the 303 Fabric guard twice per season and stowing it when not in use.

By the way, those things have gotten more expensive than what I paid four years ago (but I got a killer deal).

RobertT
01-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a black bimini, factory. Its up 100% of the time, even as I type this.

200 plus hours a year, my boat is a 2004. Zero issues, other than about a half inch of stretch from being taunt all the time.

However, and this may or may not be a big deal, I spray it with 303 fabric protector three times a year. Soak it down good, which not only makes the water bead off but is supposed to block UV rays.

Countless pfds have faded and broke, even the orange throw cushions fade and seams rip after a year, but the Mastercraft factory tower bimini looks factory fresh at this point.

For what its worth.

dsoby
01-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I have an 02 black OEM bimini. It is made of Sunbrella and I have not had any problems with it. It is also on all summer and has not noticably faded at all. I do not treat it either.

milkmania
01-27-2007, 01:06 AM
We requested a factory bimini when we purchased our X30 but they didn't have any so it was on order. Well 4 months later its in and ready to be installed but based on the current shape and fading of my black cover I am hesitant to drop the $800+ on the OEM unit. Is there anyone on here that can speak to the quality and color fastness (if thats a word) of the OEM black as compaired to one of the aftermarket units?

Thanks in advance!!

don't know about it's longevity, but the black bimini that was on the X-Star that Eric brought to Magmania was as tight as a snare drum's skin!

it was factory black:twocents: