PDA

View Full Version : Going to Bristol race anything I need to know

jlf
01-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Just got myself two tickets to the Bristol race in March. This will be my first trip to this track anything I should know? Is Bristol one of the tracks you can carry into?

I am so excited:firejump: This will be my second NASCAR race and my first ex-Bush race (do they have a sponsor yet for the series?) I've only been to the Chicago race and we didn't get to see the Bush race then.

Happy Valentine's Day to us!!!:D

trickskier
01-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I've been there several times.....Park way North of the track and walk or you will be stuck in traffic after the race. PM and I'll give you my cell if you want more tips.

shepherd
01-26-2007, 09:58 AM
I've never been, but a buddy of mine used to have "season tickets" and went twice a year (he invited me a few times but it never worked out). From what I heard, the best advice I can give is bring your hiking boots and be ready to party!

Also, from my experiences at nearby Martinsville and Richmond for early season races, bring your long johns because it can get downright cold that time of year.

jlf
01-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I've never been, but a buddy of mine used to have "season tickets" and went twice a year (he invited me a few times but it never worked out). From what I heard, the best advice I can give is bring your hiking boots and be ready to party!
Neither of those sound to be a problem, maybe the hike back after all the beers I drank, that might be a problem:D

Maristar210
01-26-2007, 10:00 AM

Don't forget to practice up on your "YEE HAW"

mbeach
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Just got myself two tickets to the Bristol race in March. This will be my first trip to this track anything I should know? Is Bristol one of the tracks you can carry into?

I am so excited:firejump: This will be my second NASCAR race and my first ex-Bush race (do they have a sponsor yet for the series?) I've only been to the Chicago race and we didn't get to see the Bush race then.

Happy Valentine's Day to us!!!:D
half-mile track and very loud. 30% grade i think. yes, you can carry in, but like tricks said will be a walk so the weight of the carry in is directly proportional to the length of the walk. also, fairly serious grade outside track to negotiate on foot and will require 2x granny gear.
i usually go to the august bristol race, but the last march race i went to was rainy and cold. had to postpone winston (sharpie) until monday. overall, great race but smoking is allowed in stadium as are most tracks i guess making is somewhat of a pain. take rain gear at least in vehicle just in case.

lawless1
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Went to the August race last year - amazing. Prefer the short track over the long ones. Can carry in but there are dimension limits on your cooler. Like others have said, be prepared to walk. It is a see of RVs - you won't believe it. GL getting a hotel close by though unless you bought through a package deal. There will be a lot of activites to keep you busy.

Lottawatta
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I have been to Bristol several times. I suggest you camp. If you don't camp, you miss half the fun.

MYMC
01-26-2007, 01:02 PM
The only track/event I miss...You'll enjoy every lap. Loud doesnt cover it...you will walk out vibrating. Bring ear protection, or you will be deaf before the race is over. Enjoy, there is no other race like it.

Jesus_Freak
01-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Just got myself two tickets to the Bristol race in March.

I live near there (not by intent). If you were visiting later in the spring, I would offer you a pull in the barney boat. Oh well. Have a good trip.

Ric
01-26-2007, 02:51 PM
You only need to know when to pull off your shirt, stand in your chair and scream boogie boo booogie boooogie boooo! (the drivers can hear you)

trickskier
01-26-2007, 03:45 PM
BTW jlf......Who are you pulling for?

Here's a link to Bristol Motor Speedway. Click on fan guide and check out the prohibited items. You are alowed to bring in 1 cooler not more than 14" per person. You can also bring in any type of beverage as long as it is in cans or plastic bottles......NO GLASS!

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/fan_guide/prohibited_items/

Footin
01-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I go to the night race every year. The spring race weather can become an issue (it snowed last year).

If you are camping I suggest Farmer Bob's or White top campground.

VERY LOUD! Bring a scanner or ear plugs.

I have been to races at about 10 different tracks and now just go to Bristol, nothing else comes close by compairison.

Bristol: "The worlds fastest half mile" or as Larry Mac Reynolds calls it "The devils dancefloor"

TMCNo1
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Has anyone been to the World of Outlaws winged sprint cars when Bruton Smith put dirt down over the asphalt, decreased the banking with more dirt on the bottom than at the top and wouldn't let anyone sit below 20 rows from the fence. I went once and I swore one of those cars would come thru the fence and out of the place they were so fast. IRRC they averaged over 138 MPH during Qualifying.

point1234
01-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Went to Bristol quite a few years back and the people we got tickets from go every year but couldnt that year for some reason. They told us to wear warm clothes because it gets cold. So we get there for Qualifiying. And its hot and I get sunburned to S@#$ and so much for the sweatshirt. The weather was beautiful beer drinking weather. Had a good time and yes bring your walking shoes and drinking shoes and EAR PLUGS.

Oh funny story too sat about 5 rows from the track between turns 3 and 4. About thirty laps or so iam sitting there and I feel this stuff hitting me thought the guy behind me was throwning stuff on me. I look closer and Iam covered in rubber fromt the tires.

jlf
02-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I live near there (not by intent). If you were visiting later in the spring, I would offer you a pull in the barney boat. Oh well. Have a good trip.
Hey thank you for the offer, unfortunately even if we were going to be there later in the season we'll be traveling with 5 others in a motor home so I'm not so sure we'd have been able to take you up on that offer.

jlf
02-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Thank you trickskier for the information. I think we are camping at a camp ground called All American. Does that sound familiar?

jlf
02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
BTW jlf......Who are you pulling for?

Here's a link to Bristol Motor Speedway. Click on fan guide and check out the prohibited items. You are alowed to bring in 1 cooler not more than 14" per person. You can also bring in any type of beverage as long as it is in cans or plastic bottles......NO GLASS!

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/fan_guide/prohibited_items/
Ah yes everyone has a favorite, mine happens to be Jeff Gordon, let the bashing begin!!! It's okay, I have big shoulders, I can take it.

trickskier
02-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Thank you trickskier for the information. I think we are camping at a camp ground called All American. Does that sound familiar?
You're Welcome. The one I was referring to is behind turns 3 & 4 and is called the Red Barn Campsite, because it had a big red barn on it. Check out Bristol Motor Speedway's website below. Click on Fan Guide then Camping.

DON"T FORGET EAR PROTECTION......THIS PLACE IS LOUD!!!!!

http://www.bristolmotorspeedway.com/

trickskier
02-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Ah yes everyone has a favorite, mine happens to be Jeff Gordon, let the bashing begin!!! It's okay, I have big shoulders, I can take it.
I call him PUKE Gordon.......Because he makes me SICK when I hear his WHINY little voice.........:uglyhamme

jlf
02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
I got that from all the warnings. I will remember ear protection. So never heard of the All American camp ground?

jlf
02-02-2007, 09:21 AM
I call him PUKE Gordon.......Because he makes me SICK when I hear his WHINY little voice.........:uglyhamme
He really does have a whiny voice, I'll give you that!!

trickskier
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
I got that from all the warnings. I will remember ear protection. So never heard of the All American camp ground?

It's on the Website. It say's it's across the creek behind turns 3 & 4. So it must be near the Red Barn Campsite. I've never camped there. I rented a friends condo.

jlf
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
I just read that, makes me feel better that it really exists. We got the tickets from a friend who has season tickets and can't make it, so they have made all the reservations already. I am so pumped, I can't wait.

trickskier
02-02-2007, 09:29 AM
He really does have a whiny voice, I'll give you that!!
So can we agree to call him PUKE??? :uglyhamme

Also, you're going to see a bit of NASCAR History. The Car of Tomorrow (C.O.T) will make its debut at Bristol in March.

Ric
02-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Has anyone been to the World of Outlaws winged sprint cars when Bruton Smith put dirt down over the asphalt, decreased the banking with more dirt on the bottom than at the top and wouldn't let anyone sit below 20 rows from the fence. I went once and I swore one of those cars would come thru the fence and out of the place they were so fast. IRRC they averaged over 138 MPH during Qualifying. I went to one of those back in the early 90's and they'd let newbies sit down there if they wanted to (but you wouldnt stay long!)

jlf
02-02-2007, 09:44 AM
So can we agree to call him PUKE??? :uglyhamme

Also, you're going to see a bit of NASCAR History. The Car of Tomorrow (C.O.T) will make its debut at Bristol in March.
Yes, I did know that.

Has anyone heard anymore about Bush pulling it's sponsorship from the Bush series? Last I heard they were looking for a sponsor for the season and haven't found any yet?

ski_king
02-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes, I did know that.

Has anyone heard anymore about Bush pulling it's sponsorship from the Bush series? Last I heard they were looking for a sponsor for the season and haven't found any yet?
Look here (http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=3&id=2747719)

Who knows, it may soon be the Dunkin Donut Cup

jlf
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
It's as Larry the Cable Guy said, pretty soon it's going to be called the Kotex Cup!!

trickskier
02-02-2007, 02:01 PM
It's as Larry the Cable Guy said, pretty soon it's going to be called the Kotex Cup!!
Good Lord.....The next thing you know, the cars will have DOTS on them........:rolleyes:
Might be appropriate on PUKE's car. :D

sassydog
02-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm lookin' foward to Daytona, when my Nascar fantasy league starts up. whooooeeeee!!!!!!!!!! I just picked all the racers named Dale!

atlfootr
02-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Bring PLENTY of BEER :toast:

kycat2007
02-02-2007, 08:18 PM
JLF you can only take the coolers in that hold six beers. They sell them at the track but just remember they will not let igloo ice holding coolers in. Take your cornhoe bags sets and you will want to make sure you are close to one of the shower mobile units. Take your walking shoes and enjoy. I do suggest the night race as well.

trickskier
02-02-2007, 09:12 PM
JLF you can only take the coolers in that hold six beers. They sell them at the track but just remember they will not let igloo ice holding coolers in. Take your cornhoe bags sets and you will want to make sure you are close to one of the shower mobile units. Take your walking shoes and enjoy. I do suggest the night race as well.
KY the cooler restriction is only at tracks owned by ISC. Tracks owned by Bruton Smith (Bristol Motor Speedway) will allow you to bring in the old style Playmate cooler by Igloo......

jakethebt
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
If all that you have ever seen it Chicago, you are in for a big treat. We have had season tickets for about 10 years. I would have a lot of advice if you were not camping. Like how to get there with out that much traffic and where to park for free and still get out easy. If you are camping, you will have no issue.

When you said does the track allow you to "carry" was thinking you meant firearms. That is a no, they check on the way in. As for beer, there is no restriction. As for dealing with the walk and a heavy cooler, many people use wagons and then just leave them out side the fence. Take a piece of junk so if anyone rips it off, you dont care.

You will deffinetly want a scanner or ear plugs. The Busch race (my tickets still say Busch) they extended it last year to 300 laps. It is always a good race.

I sold my tix last year so I missed the snow. We have only had one race delayed until Monday and that was in 2005 and it was the Busch Race. BUT... for HOT or COLD. Take a heavy winter coat as well as rain gear. We have been sun burned before too, so you never know.

Where are your seats? High/Low, turn 1 or 4? Ours are low in the front stretch/turn 1. We see the race off pit road and are only 13 rows off the track.

buddude8
02-03-2007, 03:27 PM
im jealous. My bro lives in florida and i go to both of the races at daytona, but i always wanted to go to a bristol race.

trickskier
03-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Getting excited about going to Bristol?

jlf
03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
It's only a few weeks away, you bet I am. I sure hope TN is warmer than we are right now, it's only 12 degrees out!! We leave two weeks from tomorrow!!

trickskier
03-06-2007, 09:45 AM
It's only a few weeks away, you bet I am. I sure hope TN is warmer than we are right now, it's only 12 degrees out!! We leave two weeks from tomorrow!!
It should be a lot warmer by then.

SkiDog
03-06-2007, 09:51 AM
It should be a lot warmer by then.

Was'nt it last year or maybe the year before, that it snowed the day before the race?:D

trickskier
03-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Was'nt it last year or maybe the year before, that it snowed the day before the race?:D
Year before last I believe. But haven't they moved the race to a later date since then to avoid that scenario?

atlfootr
03-06-2007, 10:18 AM
check'd out MWBP - pic gallery :D
enuff said

jlf
03-06-2007, 10:28 AM
It snowed last year, some of the guys we are going with this year went last year. They were throwing snowballs at eachother. It IS going to be warmer this year, cause I am going!! My parents were in Vegas last year for the March race and got snowed on in Vegas!!

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 10:36 AM
check'd out MWBP - pic gallery :D
enuff said

Whut is MWBP?????????????????

trickskier
03-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Whut is MWBP?????????????????
Yeah Footr, what is that????

jlf
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
We made it home from Bristol all in one piece. The race was awesome. We had a blast. I did't even mind the hill, I climbed it enough times in the three days we were there. I'd recommend the All American Campground to anyone, nice shower facilities and they were free. We had awesome neighbors, they were from MI and the rest of them believe it or not were from our hometown, LaCrosse and not even a part of our group. We made TV, Speed Channel's Track Side. We watched the interview with Chad Knaus and Booty. The best part of the weekend was I got to give Jeff Gordon a hug and kiss.....

jlf
04-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Did I mention I think we are going to try to make Bristol a yearly trip now. The COT still leaves a little to be desired, IMO. I suppose like everything it will take time to get used too. The Cup race had an awesome finish the only thing that would've made it better would have been to see my honey, Jeffy baby win the race, third is respectable.

I want to thank everyone for your advice, it came in handy. Thanks for the tips on the traffic, we headed out of Bristol at midnight, about a 16 hours drive home. Traffic was all clear by then.

We are considering going to Dover in the fall, anyone been there?

RexDog1
04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
jlf

Looks like you had FUN!!!!

I did not know you liked girls 8p

trickskier
04-02-2007, 02:57 PM
We made it home from Bristol all in one piece. The race was awesome. We had a blast. I did't even mind the hill, I climbed it enough times in the three days we were there.

OH yeah, I forgot to mention the HILL. It can get a little challenging, especially when you're carring a cooler full of beer!

Where were you're seats?

jlf
04-04-2007, 09:19 AM
We were in the Petty Terrace, row 26 I thought they were perfect. We were on the back stretch just outside of turn 2, so we were in the shade the whole race instead of baking our arses off in the sun.

I'll like girls if they make millions and aren't half back looking.:D

Hey where did my girl finish? Who was on the pole? That is what I thought, now sit down and shut up!! j/k

jlf
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
OH yeah, I forgot to mention the HILL. It can get a little challenging, especially when you're carring a cooler full of beer!

Where were you're seats?
We only had to worry about the cooler on the way there and it was mostly down hill from our campsite to the track, then they had these cool shuttle things to ride to the gates. Who had a cooler full of beer to bring back? Besides I was with 7 guys and myself, I didn't have to carry coolers8p my only job was to look pretty....I got that down pat :)

RexDog1
04-04-2007, 09:23 AM
We were in the Petty Terrace, row 26 I thought they were perfect. We were on the back stretch just outside of turn 2, so we were in the shade the whole race instead of baking our arses off in the sun.

I'll like girls if they make millions and aren't half back looking.:D

Hey where did my girl finish? Who was on the pole? That is what I thought, now sit down and shut up!! j/k

Jlf LOL LOL nice come back……..:D

I have no problem with girls in racing ………and she did very well this past weekend 8p

jlf
04-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Jlf LOL LOL nice come back……..:D

I have no problem with girls in racing ………and she did very well this past weekend 8p
He should've won this weekend!! If it would've been anybody else but Jimmy, he would've too.

RexDog1
04-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I did see the end of the race, and the interview after the race with Jeff…………

He was not too happy with Jimmy was he?????:rolleyes:

jlf
04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
I did see the end of the race, and the interview after the race with Jeff…………

He was not too happy with Jimmy was he?????:rolleyes:
I will give Jimmy credit, it was a damn good race and he shouldn't have given it to Jeff, but if it would've been anybody else Jeff would've had permission from Hendrick to race a bit harder, if you know what I mean:cool: