PDA

View Full Version : Silly question of the day: Blower motors

74stars
01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I was just wondering where your blower motors are mounted. I am in the process of amassing the parts to complete the resurrection of my S&S. The orginal blower for my 74 is a cage type that is mounted behind the center of the floorboard/ kickpanel with a 3" hose running from the bow vent to the inlet side of the motor. From there it just blows "fresh air" into the bilge... doesn't look to be the most efficent set-up. However this has seemed to work for thirty-some years. I have seen a photo somewhere of a newer model where it looked like the in-line motor was mounted on the driver's side stringer behind the engine, and I am assuming the hose was attached to the outlet and blows to the rear vent. If this is the case I think it would be better than my set-up, but I will have to rig a way for the hose to go behind the tank and adapt it to the rear vent (oval shaped) . Let me know if any of you have had to replace or re-design yours. Photos of location would be a huge help- Thanks!

Diesel
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry for the bad picture. You can see it right under the trany mount on the driver's side.

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Different view.

ski_king
01-25-2007, 10:15 PM
On my 82 it is mounted right below the rear deck.
Intake hose running down to bilge, short exaust hose to rear exaust vent.
Sorry, no photo

Also mine isn't the squirrel cage type, it is the inline type.

H20skeefreek
01-25-2007, 10:35 PM
that's where mine is, on top of the gas tank.

milkmania
01-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Different view.

mine is mounted straight under the alternator in that pic

Mag_Red
01-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Mine's directly under the oil filter:rolleyes: Please don't mount yours there;)

Leroy
01-26-2007, 12:15 AM
If it is a cage type I've not heard of those being used, but this is in your 74 so either it was true or some creative person did this.

Normally the fans pulls air out from around the motor not blow air in from the front.

jraben8
01-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Mine is just behind the front right motor mount.

74stars
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM
As always thanks for all the help! I think I will mount it on the stringer as that seems to make the most sense- gas fumes find the lowest point to collect. Seems it will work way better than what was in it. I will post some more pics of the rebuild as I go.