PDA

View Full Version : New Ski Locker Ballast Sac Configuration

prostar205
01-25-2007, 03:18 PM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new ski locker ballast sac for my 2002 X30. The old is too small (12" dia. x 70" Long) and the 2 vent tubes kept getting full of water not allowing the bag to fully fill with water. It turned out to fill half water and half air.

So, before I pull the trigger with Barefoot International, are their some characteristics/features I should put into the new bag. Here is what I have come up with so far.

1) vent location at the front of the bag on the top
2) only one vent location. Do I need 2 like the OEM bag setup?
3) only one fill/drain location.
4) Fill/Drain located at the rear of the bag at the bottom.

They are going to make the new bag from the same material they make the ProX bags. I will also get the quick disconnect fittings so I can take the bag out.

Have I missed anything?

prostar205
01-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Bump

Bump

Bump

FlatBoard
01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
I have a 2004 X-30 and asked the dealer for the bow ballast sac to be installed with quick connects and got that deer in the headlights look. Quick connects would be nice so you can remove the bag to clean and when you winterize.

I have considered building a shelf out of plastic board to insert in the locker when the sac is not filled so I can use the storage space.

prostar205
01-26-2007, 01:58 PM
The Barefoot International bags all have the option of putting quick connects on the fill/drain and vent lines. I have them on my ProX sacs in the back, which I installed last summer after removing the worthless hard tanks in the back of the X30. When we are not boarding or surfing, I simply remove the sacs and it opens up the back for MASSIVE storage.

On my '95 PS205, I made a removeable wall in my ski locker area and used it as a huge cooler. It worked great since the ski locker drains into the bilge.

I am going to order the sac on Monday, Jan. 29th and I should have it in 2 weeks. I'll post some pictures.

The current center sac is 12" dia. x 70" which only will weigh 286 lbs fully loaded. My new sac will be somewhere around 12"W x 16"H x 78"L (need to verify dimensions) that will weigh in at 541 lbs. This should help both the wakeboard and surf wakes but also the porpoising issue. If it does not help the porpoising issue, I am going to install the 2006 X30 wake plate (Lenco Trim Tab). Also, with the 1,500 lbs I have in the rear of the boat (2 - ProX Fat Sacs at 750 lbs each), I need around 500 lbs for the traditional 40%/60% split of ballast front to rear.

FlatBoard
01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Look forwad to seeing some pics. That is the first Iv'e heard of someone removing the hard tanks. Interesting. My wake is massive with the ballast system in place. I have received excellent ratings from many wakeboarders on the quality and size of my X-30 wake. I have not had the porpoising issue, although I usually have 6 -10 people riding in the boat. Whenever we go out it seems that I have 10 people on the dock waiting!!

FlatBoard
01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
P.S. I like the cooler idea. I definately could use that

lassy
01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
i'm going to remover the ski locker bag in my custom 4 bag ballast set up and try lining the ski locker with sand bags (wrapped in carpet), then stacking steel blocks (look like bog lead headz) on top of the sand bags. so i'm guessing i'll have around 400+lbs after that. i'll leave that in there since my boat is kept at the marina, dry docked. i hate fooling with the gay middle sky locker bag. too small of a space for a bag to fit nicely in.

Rich_G
01-26-2007, 05:06 PM
i'm going to remover the ski locker bag in my custom 4 bag ballast set up and try lining the ski locker with sand bags (wrapped in carpet), then stacking steel blocks (look like bog lead headz) on top of the sand bags. so i'm guessing i'll have around 400+lbs after that. i'll leave that in there since my boat is kept at the marina, dry docked. i hate fooling with the gay middle sky locker bag. too small of a space for a bag to fit nicely in.

I think you will be able to fit a lot more than 400 lbs in there. I think you could easily fit 600 with your method, maybe 700, especially with the steel. Both materials are more dense than water.

DanC
01-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Depends on if you plan to fill/empty your sack mostly at speed or sitting still. My drain/fill is at the back end of the sack which means that I must be underway (not sitting still nose down) to get all of the water out. If you fill while underway, the air bubble will be towards the front and you will want the vent in the front. If you fill while sitting still, the air bubble will be towards the back and you will want the ari vent in the back. I put my air vent in the front of the sack because it is easy to top off the bag at the start of the first run.

I find quick disconnects cut down on the water flow rate. I have quick disconnects on some of my sacks in the back that I remove regularly, but the front ski locker sack only gets removed once a year so I went with regular fittings.

FlatBoard
01-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Never had trouble draining the ski locker sac. I notice a big difference when filled. Better ride and handling.

lassy - what kind of boat do you have?

Rich_G
01-27-2007, 10:02 PM
I find quick disconnects cut down on the water flow rate. I have quick disconnects on some of my sacks in the back that I remove regularly, but the front ski locker sack only gets removed once a year so I went with regular fittings.

Dan, you might want to check into the 1" quick disconnects if you are using the 3/4" now. You can get them from Fly-High at www.fatsac.com or even directly from Flow-Rite https://www.flow-rite.com/store/marine/retail/marinestoreretail.html

prostar205
01-29-2007, 11:54 AM
I went down to the boat over the weekend and did the final measurements. I largest sac I can fit into the center ski locker in my 2002 X30 is 12"x12"x76" which will add 395 lbs to the center. Certainly better than the stock 286 lbs. I am going to stay with the quick connect system from BI because I will convert my center locker to a LARGE cooler for those cruising days.

mitch
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new ski locker ballast sac for my 2002 X30. The old is too small (12" dia. x 70" Long) and the 2 vent tubes kept getting full of water not allowing the bag to fully fill with water. It turned out to fill half water and half air.

So, before I pull the trigger with Barefoot International, are their some characteristics/features I should put into the new bag. Here is what I have come up with so far.

1) vent location at the front of the bag on the top
2) only one vent location. Do I need 2 like the OEM bag setup?
3) only one fill/drain location.
4) Fill/Drain located at the rear of the bag at the bottom.

They are going to make the new bag from the same material they make the ProX bags. I will also get the quick disconnect fittings so I can take the bag out.

Have I missed anything?

check with these guys, I got some unusual sized sacs from them a few years ago.

http://www.fluidconcepts.net/

Cary K.
01-29-2007, 01:53 PM
PS205, clean out your inbox.

prostar205
01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
PS205, clean out your inbox.

Cary -

Sorry about that. I just did. Send your message over.

Thanks,

Tom

DanC
01-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Dan, you might want to check into the 1" quick disconnects if you are using the 3/4" now. You can get them from Fly-High at www.fatsac.com or even directly from Flow-Rite https://www.flow-rite.com/store/marine/retail/marinestoreretail.html

Thanks
Weird, the BI site shows 1" fittings, the Flow-Rite site shows 1 1/8" fittings. Which is it? Neither shows any dimensions, such as what size hose does the barb end fit. And the manufacturer, Fow-Rite only shows hull feed-throughs and a socket, no plugs like the BI site shows. :confused:

PaulW
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi Flat board
I have, up for sale, an 2001 X30 and we put two long 200 lb sacks up front under the seats and it rode very nice. The thing that I like about additional ballast up front is that it helps keep the nose down and you can load up the back. The center bag is nice but it is to close to the center of the boat and did not help keep the nose down when you have a lot of ballast in the back + people.