PDA

View Full Version : When pigs fly out my ……..

RexDog1
01-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Van Halen May Reunite With David Lee Roth For Tour

Thursday January 25, 2007
Rock icons Van Halen are reportedly planning to bring back the band's original frontman David Lee Roth for a summer tour.
According to Billboard, details of the contract are being worked out for what would represent Roth's first concerts with the band in more than 20 years.
Spokespersons for both the singer and the band wouldn't confirm anything. Still, there's word tour promoter Live Nation is looking to schedule 40 dates on the tour.
The band's lineup now includes Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang, who takes over for original bassist Michael Anthony. Eddie's brother Alex, another core player, still mans the drums.
Roth left the band in 1985 after the relationship between him and Eddie Van Halen turned sour.
He was then replaced by Sammy Hagar, who sang for the band's last tour in 2004. The tour made nearly $40 million, but after it was over the vocalist said he didn't want to collaborate with the band any more.
Both singers could come face to face when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March.
It's unclear when a deal might be confirmed to bring Roth back, or whether any Canadian dates would be among the planned tour stops.

chudson
01-25-2007, 02:14 PM

He was then replaced by Sammy Hagar, who sang for the band's last tour in 2004. The tour made nearly $40 million, but after it was over the vocalist said he didn't want to collaborate with the band any more

:confused: So David quit then Sammy came in, then Sammy bailed and now David "may" be back in?:cool:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-25-2007, 02:18 PM

Thursday January 25, 2007
Rock icons Van Halen are reportedly planning to bring back the band's original frontman David Lee Roth for a summer tour.
According to Billboard, details of the contract are being worked out for what would represent Roth's first concerts with the band in more than 20 years.
Spokespersons for both the singer and the band wouldn't confirm anything. Still, there's word tour promoter Live Nation is looking to schedule 40 dates on the tour.
The band's lineup now includes Eddie Van Halen's 15-year-old son Wolfgang, who takes over for original bassist Michael Anthony. Eddie's brother Alex, another core player, still mans the drums.
Roth left the band in 1985 after the relationship between him and Eddie Van Halen turned sour.
He was then replaced by Sammy Hagar, who sang for the band's last tour in 2004. The tour made nearly $40 million, but after it was over the vocalist said he didn't want to collaborate with the band any more.
Both singers could come face to face when Van Halen is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March.
It's unclear when a deal might be confirmed to bring Roth back, or whether any Canadian dates would be among the planned tour stops.
OK.....lets all take a deep breath and back up two steps ans sort this out.

#1 Sammy Rules.

#2 Eddie is way flakey. he has a history with drinking, and I would not believe any reunion until its officially released by the band's management. and even then I would be skeptical. Even if they get together, it could fly apart at any moment. The band is volitile. He could get all pi$$y and kick out Dave at a moments notice, just like he did Sammy back in 96-97.

#3 It aint "Van Halen" without Mikey. he is essential to the band. I dont care how good Wolfy can play bass, and that his last name IS van halen. it dont matter. Mikey is necessary to create the backing vocals and "vibe" of VH.

#4 Sammy Rules.

#5 Sammy Rules

#6 Dave is as flakey as Eddie. He is a paramedic now and has a "real" job. He hasnt expressed interest in being a Rock star for a LONG time.

#7 you can fight the Sammy Vs. Dave debate forever. I dont care who you like, but Sammy provided much needed musical direction and balance that they didnt have before. Plus, the Sammy era was longer than the Dave era.

#8 Sammy Rules.

#9 Milkmania thinks Sammy Rules.

#10 HB likes Montrose, and Sammy was in montrose. Once again, Sammy Rules.

I am not gonna hold my breath for this reunion......:rolleyes:

3event
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
But I would consider paying to see it on the slim chance. I am a Sammy fan too, but I'm not afraid to say I like the oldest stuff best - I, II, Fair Warning. Saw the band both with DL and Sammy. What about the stint with that guy from Extreme, Gary whatshisname....

How long did Diamond Dave have his radio show, was it in NY? And now a paramedic? The good news is, that's a solid contribution to society.

Ric
01-25-2007, 02:38 PM
I like the red rocker but to see diamond dave and the original van halen back together ump? who cares if they are good or not, it will take us all back in time..... and pay the kooky band members quite well too since we all now have jobs!

Jesus_Freak
01-25-2007, 02:43 PM
who cares if they are good or not, it will take us all back in time.....

I agree captain.

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Saw Van Hagar twice. Was not without its charm.

For what it's worth, not sure I'd pay to see this guy up close these days, not that he wasn't an innovator.

http://snarkfest.com/images/uploads/eddievanhalen_thumb.jpg

shepherd
01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
The prospect of a reunion doesn't excite me much. I've got my old VH albums to take me back in time. And those albums are better than anything I could hope them to put out today. I suspect that Eddie VH and DLR are only shadows of their former, younger selves. (Kind of like Jimmy Page and Robert Plant) I hope I'm wrong. That said, I'll go to their show if they come to my town (not likely) because it will be a fun party.

kycat2007
01-25-2007, 03:05 PM
Seeing Diamond Dave over the past few years he is a wreck. Dave and Eddie look at each other wrong and a fight breaks out. Eddie had his name on the band but could not stand to have Dave be the face of the band. When Sammy took over he did the same and that pissed Eddie off again. I bet if they do go on tour they will not finish it.

Maristar210
01-25-2007, 03:47 PM
"HAVE YOU SEEN JUNIORS GRADES?"

Love that line

BrianM
01-25-2007, 04:03 PM
OK.....lets all take a deep breath and back up two steps ans sort this out.

#1 Sammy Rules.

#2 Eddie is way flakey. he has a history with drinking, and I would not believe any reunion until its officially released by the band's management. and even then I would be skeptical. Even if they get together, it could fly apart at any moment. The band is volitile. He could get all pi$$y and kick out Dave at a moments notice, just like he did Sammy back in 96-97.

#3 It aint "Van Halen" without Mikey. he is essential to the band. I dont care how good Wolfy can play bass, and that his last name IS van halen. it dont matter. Mikey is necessary to create the backing vocals and "vibe" of VH.

#4 Sammy Rules.

#5 Sammy Rules

#6 Dave is as flakey as Eddie. He is a paramedic now and has a "real" job. He hasnt expressed interest in being a Rock star for a LONG time.

#7 you can fight the Sammy Vs. Dave debate forever. I dont care who you like, but Sammy provided much needed musical direction and balance that they didnt have before. Plus, the Sammy era was longer than the Dave era.

#8 Sammy Rules.

#9 Milkmania thinks Sammy Rules.

#10 HB likes Montrose, and Sammy was in montrose. Once again, Sammy Rules.

I am not gonna hold my breath for this reunion......:rolleyes:
Ditto,

Saw Van Hagar three times all three were the best rock shows I have seen. Saw Sammy with the Woboritas twice and those shows were a close second. Sammy puts on a great show.

But if this does happen I will be buying tickets for the closest show to me. Wonder why Michael left?? Could it be Eddie's attitude and drinking problem?:rolleyes:

01-25-2007, 04:37 PM
OK. I will air it all out. Eddie is the sole reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. inspiration! Eddie literaly sat upon a throne of the guitar world from the very late 70's until around the very early 90's. He was not only an amazing technical guitarist, a very talented musician, he was also a great technical innovator. He had a great influence and changed the way guitars were designed, the way they were built, the components that they were comprised of.......ie, the hand winding and wax potting of pickups, etc... He also had a similar effect on guitar amplifiers, and effects. He put Floyd Rose on the map. (although many argue that Steve Vai did this...) Eddie was almost like the 2nd Les Paul to come along. He changed things......forever. Eddie will go down in history as one of the most amazing, influential guitarists of all time.

You can argue this till the cows come home, but I still think next to Les Paul, he is the most infuential guitarist of all time. He changed MORE things than any other guitarist of his era.

Side note: Les is the king of all time though. He did more for modern music than ANY other person ever. not because of his music, but because of his innovations. and YES, I mean that, even though we had George Martin, Elvis, the beatles, Phil Spector, etc.... Les' technical innovations and inventions CHANGED EVERYTHING about how music was made, recorded, and reproduced. The man invented multitrack recording, the single most important invention in music history, amoung numerous other gadgets.

Ok back to Eddie.

But times change. Eddie has had his down times too. I wouldnt hold my breath for this reunion.

BTW the show I saw in 2004 rocked, Sammy is a wildman. He didnt stop running around for 2.5 hours. He Rules!

Harvey
01-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with most of you that this tour will not happen. The chance that they can put their egos behind them and move on to do a tour is slim to none. Mike left the band due to Eddie, heck the only reason Alex hasn't left the band is he has put with his brothers crap all his life, he is family. I would not mind going to see it if I KNEW that buying a ticket meant I was going to see the show.

On a side note, I agree that Eddie is a GREAT guitarist and influential but I have heard that his son Wolfgang is going to be a little bad :D ss. Taking all of Eddie's innovation and knowledge of music and passing it on to his son almost ensures the kid will be good, provided Wolfgang's ego isn't like his father's.

Kevin 89MC
01-25-2007, 05:12 PM
I was just listening to the first VH album a few months back. That is one of my all time favorites. That entire album just plain ROCKS! Pretty innovative stuff, considering it was 1978. I have liked a lot of stuff with Hagar too. If they come to MN, I may have to go have a listen!

Hoosier Bob
01-25-2007, 05:19 PM
How about a Michael, Alex, David and Sammy reunion? By the way Sammy can play, Sammy should stay! Sorry Eddie but you are starting to look like Eddie from Iron Maiden! He scares me!:o

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 05:38 PM
So how do you feel about the guy, UMP! :) Les Paul obviously deserves ultra high praise for all he did for modern Western music.

Eddie was extraordinarily innovative and, as a result, immitated. He has his place among the greats. I still prefer Zappa. But I'm probably in the minority. That said, your mission, should you choose to accept it is to buy Zappa and the Mothers: Live at the Roxy and elsewhere. Amazing stuff.

Jim@BAWS
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Enjoy

http://www.van-halen.net/EddieSNL.html

Jim@BAWS

Ric
01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
OK. I will air it all out. Eddie is the sole reason I picked up the guitar in the first place. inspiration! Eddie literaly sat upon a throne of the guitar world from the very late 70's until around the very early 90's. He was not only an amazing technical guitarist, a very talented musician, he was also a great technical innovator. He had a great influence and changed the way guitars were designed, the way they were built, the components that they were comprised of.......ie, the hand winding and wax potting of pickups, etc... He also had a similar effect on guitar amplifiers, and effects. He put Floyd Rose on the map. (although many argue that Steve Vai did this...) Eddie was almost like the 2nd Les Paul to come along. He changed things......forever. Eddie will go down in history as one of the most amazing, influential guitarists of all time.

You can argue this till the cows come home, but I still think next to Les Paul, he is the most infuential guitarist of all time. He changed MORE things than any other guitarist of his era.

Side note: Les is the king of all time though. He did more for modern music than ANY other person ever. not because of his music, but because of his innovations. and YES, I mean that, even though we had George Martin, Elvis, the beatles, Phil Spector, etc.... Les' technical innovations and inventions CHANGED EVERYTHING about how music was made, recorded, and reproduced. The man invented multitrack recording, the single most important invention in music history, amoung numerous other gadgets.

Ok back to Eddie.

But times change. Eddie has had his down times too. I wouldnt hold my breath for this reunion.

BTW the show I saw in 2004 rocked, Sammy is a wildman. He didnt stop running around for 2.5 hours. He Rules! ump you do realize most of us have never even heard of these people?

JimN
01-25-2007, 06:41 PM
Doug- what about the horror movies with the monster that had a piece of 2x4 sticking out of the bottom? I just heard Zappa's version of Bolero, from 'The Best Band You've Never Heard' last night.

Ump- Eddie wouldn't have picked the guitar up if he hadn't been inspired by somebody.

What materials are used now that he's responsible for? Potting isn't new, Fender still hand winds pickups and I'm wondering what affect he had on guitar amps? Part of his sound was from other people doing the mods, he just told them what sound he wanted and the transformers were changed so he could run them on higher voltage.

Eddie was at NAMM last weekend, rolling out a new Fender guitar and amp. He looked like crap and he seemed hammered. You can see him at www.fender.com, look at the upper right side for FrontLine Live and click on the bar that appears. Look along the right side for his clips.

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Jim, check this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmaiVN8cFMc)out. Hopefully someday, they'll release the full length movie of the Roxy shows.

/there's the monster.

Hoosier Bob
01-25-2007, 09:21 PM
The greatest American Band has to be GFR!8p Check the video out! Talk about memories!

http://www.grandfunkrailroad.com/video.htm

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 09:28 PM
Not enough cowbell.

Hoosier Bob
01-25-2007, 09:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing! I will look for the B O C website!

Here you go!
http://www.blueoystercult.com/main.html

JimN
01-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Doug- thanks for the link. Did you see them doing 'Whipping Post'? Live at the Roxy is a great album. Yeah, I said ALBUM! Mine is on vinyl.

3event
01-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Enjoy

http://www.van-halen.net/EddieSNL.html

Jim@BAWS

Ohhhh, 80's trip, 80's trip
Such memories
Thank you Jim !
Man he looks young, that was a lotta years ago.

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Doug- thanks for the link. Did you see them doing 'Whipping Post'? Live at the Roxy is a great album. Yeah, I said ALBUM! Mine is on vinyl.

Was that they one he was trading grunts with Napoleon?

A friend of mine has it on vinyl. Mine's on CD. Presumably, it sounds pretty different as FZ remastered just about all that stuff before he died. Was tempted to go see DZ when he was playing with a bunch of the old Mothers in Dallas, but had a conflict.

/just reading up on whippin' post/whipping floss, etc. No.

JimN
01-25-2007, 11:23 PM
I thought it sounded pretty good on vinyl but Frank was really meticulous when it came to, well, everything. I haven't listened to it in a long time since my albums are all packed away until I finish the home for my electronics, albums and CDs. I don't have enough tapes to worry about, never really have.

The local college radio station played a bit of an interview with Frank and he was saying that back in the '70s, they played here in MKE at a club called Teddy's, owned by the son of the local mob boss (which, according to the then Mayor and Police Chief, didn't exist). They were taking a break after their first set and sitting at the bar when, in Zappa's words, "this large, swarthy Italian looking gentleman came up to us and said "Frankie would like to buy you'se a drink". "What were we going to do, refuse?"

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm sure it sounded great. In most instances, something that was recorded for vinyl sounds better on vinyl (assuming new needle and no scratches/dust). I know that's true of the Beatles catalog. I've got everything from Revolver to Let it Be on vinyl for that reason (got it on CD, too). Love my records!

Frank's autobiography is really good ("The Real Frank Zappa" I think it's called). Anyway, very funny/interesting. Although it's a bit slow when he waxes political in the last 50 pages or so. That guy di NOT care for Tipper Gore (and tipper was no fan of Darling Nikki).

Leroy
01-26-2007, 12:11 AM
I saw some more of those pictures recently and agree!

Saw Van Hagar twice. Was not without its charm.

For what it's worth, not sure I'd pay to see this guy up close these days, not that he wasn't an innovator.

http://snarkfest.com/images/uploads/eddievanhalen_thumb.jpg

3event
01-26-2007, 07:58 AM
BUMP, news from Las Vegas launch for purported Van Halen tour:
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Jan-26-Fri-2007/news/12210196.html

Ric
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
I saw some more of those pictures recently and agree! is dave holding his dentures in that pic?

01-26-2007, 02:52 PM
Ump- Eddie wouldn't have picked the guitar up if he hadn't been inspired by somebody.

What materials are used now that he's responsible for? Potting isn't new, Fender still hand winds pickups and I'm wondering what affect he had on guitar amps? Part of his sound was from other people doing the mods, he just told them what sound he wanted and the transformers were changed so he could run them on higher voltage.

First off, given the fact that recently there has been other members kinda verbally spatting with other members, I dont want to give the vibe that I am doing that. I am not saying this stuff to be an arse or verbally "attack" you Jim. but, I dont know where you get that idea about Eddie from. I spent alot of time through the years reading interviews with Eddie. Eddie is a notorious tinkerer. He expereimented with the wax potting before anyone else did. I remember reading about that in guitar mags from WAY back. I also remember that he was the one that personally used the variac to alter the voltage to his amps to bet the "brown sound". the thing was, back in the day, he told everyone that he ran the voltage higher, in order to "drive" the tubes hotter. when in fact he was turning the voltage down to around 90V to get the tone he was after. he spoofed everyone into going down the wrong road to get his signature sound everyone was SO eager to copy. His tone was the "holy grail" of the guitar world and everyone wanted to sound like him. Eddie was also the guy that wound the strings UP the tuners rather than down to reduce the angle over the nut to reduce binding. he also used graphite in the nut of his strat to allow the strings to move better when he used the tremolo bar. If my memory serves me correct, he had the 2nd Floyd Rose ever produced and he totally influenced a generation of guitarists to master the art of it. The floyd was capable of radical and vigorus use without having tuning problems as expereinces by Fender bridges. He was the inspiration for the "super strat" guitars pioneered by Wayne Charvel. Eddie was also really a tinkerer in the studio. He was really into mic placement and any tricks he could develop to get an tonal "edge" over other people. I am not saying eddie invented hand winding pickups, but he was the one that really broke it open to people. HE expereimented with the amount of windings, wire gauges, etc....all in search of better tone. He was really big on swtiching systems and was at the fore front of using those, primarliy CAE units by Bob Bradshaw. He set the pace, and everyone seemed to follow.

Just to make sure I wasnt dreaming this stuff up, I called a guitarist friend of mine who is 50 yrs old, he lived through the Van Halen days from the start and he remembered this stuff as I did. If I am incorrect on any of this, I do apologize and would appreciate knowing what the scoop really is. :o

Sure, he was inspired by someone else, we all are, but just because he wasnt the FIRST guitarist on the earth doesnt mean he cant be the most influential. His combination of music, techniques, and innovations are unmatched IMO. :)

Just my take on it. :twocents:

:)

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Yeah, and here I was about to throw Link Wray into the mix as far as huge electric guitar innovators :)

When it came to EVH, I'd always heard that all the stuff out front was a bunch of empty cabinates and that he was running out of a modded up Fender Twin Reverb in the back room.

Not discounting his contribution in the least though.

As for Brown Sound, isn't that like the Ibanez TS-808, or is that the mod from analogman that I'm thinking of?

Ric
01-26-2007, 02:56 PM
First off, given the fact that recently there has been other members kinda verbally spatting with other members, I dont want to give the vibe that I am doing that. I am not saying this stuff to be an arse or verbally "attack" you Jim. but, I dont know where you get that idea about Eddie from. I spent alot of time through the years reading interviews with Eddie. Eddie is a notorious tinkerer. He expereimented with the wax potting before anyone else did. I remember reading about that in guitar mags from WAY back. I also remember that he was the one that personally used the variac to alter the voltage to his amps to bet the "brown sound". the thing was, back in the day, he told everyone that he ran the voltage higher, in order to "drive" the tubes hotter. when in fact he was turning the voltage down to around 90V to get the tone he was after. he spoofed everyone into going down the wrong road to get his signature sound everyone was SO eager to copy. His tone was the "holy grail" of the guitar world and everyone wanted to sound like him. Eddie was also the guy that wound the strings UP the tuners rather than down to reduce the angle over the nut to reduce binding. he also used graphite in the nut of his strat to allow the strings to move better when he used the tremolo bar. If my memory serves me correct, he had the 2nd Floyd Rose ever produced and he totally influenced a generation of guitarists to master the art of it. The floyd was capable of radical and vigorus use without having tuning problems as expereinces by Fender bridges. He was the inspiration for the "super strat" guitars pioneered by Wayne Charvel. Eddie was also really a tinkerer in the studio. He was really into mic placement and any tricks he could develop to get an tonal "edge" over other people. I am not saying eddie invented hand winding pickups, but he was the one that really broke it open to people. HE expereimented with the amount of windings, wire gauges, etc....all in search of better tone. He was really big on swtiching systems and was at the fore front of using those, primarliy CAE units by Bob Bradshaw. He set the pace, and everyone seemed to follow.

Just to make sure I wasnt dreaming this stuff up, I called a guitarist friend of mine who is 50 yrs old, he lived through the Van Halen days from the start and he remembered this stuff as I did. If I am incorrect on any of this, I do apologize and would appreciate knowing what the scoop really is. :o

Sure, he was inspired by someone else, we all are, but just because he wasnt the FIRST guitarist on the earth doesnt mean he cant be the most influential. His combination of music, techniques, and innovations are unmatched IMO. :)

Just my take on it. :twocents:

:)

khhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Gawd I admire you!

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 02:58 PM

I hear Ric's got a guy who has some deals on some amps personally mod'ed by EVH. ICBW.

Ric
01-26-2007, 02:59 PM
I hear Ric's got a guy who has some deals on some amps personally mod'ed by EVH. ICBW. Dude? Never mention that again!

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Dude? Never mention that again!

I hear Ric's got a guy who has some deals on some amps personally mod'ed by EVH. ICBW.

Ric
01-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I hear Ric's got a guy who has some deals on some amps personally mod'ed by EVH. ICBW. Seriously ok, none of that happened and that stuff is NOT at my house ok?

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Bummed. Just read that Link Wray had died in 2005. Saw him in 97 and the show was utterly fantastic/deafening.

Link to Link (http://www.linkwraylegend.com/bio.html)

JimN
01-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Ump- I wasn't trying to dump on Eddie but I read his first interview in Guitar Player, too and I would appreciate not getting the impression that being 50 is ancient. :firejump: :guitar:

I'll re-read it to make sure of my facts but I don't know if I still have them. I still think the sound he got on the first record is one of he best I've heard, regardless of how he got it, but I thought he had his amps modded by someone else. I know he made the first red, striped guitar from a neck he got free or cheap, a body that was a factory second and a scrounged pickup and painted it with Schwinn bike paint.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Certainly no shame to having someone else work on your rig. SRV got a lot of his work done by some cat at Ray Henning's Heart of Texas music in Austin where he picked up that old hybrid strat.

Now as for Link. I know he at least did the initial mod on his amp ... with a knife.

JimN
01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Doug- BB was in the hospital and is supposed to be released today, apparently nothing too serious. Man, they're dropping like flies.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 04:08 PM
I never got my Sat. receiver reprogramed when I moved her from Houston, so we get Houston locals. Saw that on the news this morning. Sounds like he just had him a spell. When I first heard his name, I feared the worst. Glad it is apparently nothing too serious.

01-26-2007, 04:32 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

By the way, what kind of a name is Poon?

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Just watching some old VH footage on youtube, I was struck more directly as to why something like reunion tour just doesn't excite me much. For a great many live performances, like the title of that history channel show, it's all about "man, moment, machine." Seeing Van Halen in 2007 will not live up to seeing Van Halen in 1982. Seeing VH from the eighth row center in 1992 didn't come close to watching the video footage of the old stuff on youtube. The same can be said of a great percentage of acts (I'm sure with notable exceptions). If you're fortunate enough to catch some great acts in their early days or, better yet, at their peak, hang onto that memory.

Ric
01-26-2007, 04:54 PM
I'd probably pay to see it anyway

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd probably pay to see it anyway

You'll pay a lot. Maybe Bill Wyman will be on bass for them. 8p. Sometimes its worth going just so you don't regret it. Sort of why I want to go see McCartney. Not because I think I'll be surprised when he encores with "Hey Jude." But just because he's a Beatle.

That said, the Stones were great when we paid $32 for 11th Row Center in 1989. Prince was phenominal when we saw him in Bosier City in 2004. Like I said, there are exceptions. I saw the Stones again in 1996 or whenever they did the Voodoo Lounge tour, and it wasn't the same. I haven't had the desire to see them again since then.

01-26-2007, 05:01 PM
When it came to EVH, I'd always heard that all the stuff out front was a bunch of empty cabinates and that he was running out of a modded up Fender Twin Reverb in the back room.

Not discounting his contribution in the least though.

As for Brown Sound, isn't that like the Ibanez TS-808, or is that the mod from analogman that I'm thinking of?
East,

Eddie used that old beat up Marshall to get his tone from. That thing has been around the world many times. He sent it away in the late 80's to be overhauled as it was war torn from all the touring. I cant remember the guys name that did the work, but its in a guitar mag somewhere. the amp head was then incorporated into his rack rig. Bradshaw wired it up using a dummy speaker load off the head and somehow bled off the voltage to a line level signal to travel through the rest of his rack setup. As all rockstars do, he ran empty cabs on stage for the look. but the rack system was the heart of it, powering several cabinets which were mic'd and routed thru the house sound board. I know he used other stuff inthe studio, but live it was usually that mongrel marshall head incorporated into his rack system that Bradshaw built.

The brown sound was named that because it simulated a brown out, meaning the voltage was dropped. thats what was produced when he used the variac to drop the voltage. Plug into your tube amp, start playing and have someone turn the amp off while playing, as the sound starts to drop, you can see where he got the idea from. The tone gets a bit sweeter as the voltage dissipates. Mesa/Boogie has a spin off of this on their current amps called the "Bold/Spongy" switch. I have it on my Road King, it simulates a Variac effect. To my knowledge, Eddie never used a TS-808. I have never read that anywhere.

I know he used that bone stock Marshall Superlead that he bought from a club he had played at. It was their house amp, a model from the mid 70's. he liked it so much that he bought it.

Analog man's mods are not the brown sound.

I just think Eddie had a total package, He had sound nobody had, a style nobody had, and innovations. His guitar style alone was ground breaking. Sure he never invented the hammer on or pull off, but he used it in a way to forge a whole new style of playing that had the whole guitar world turned on its ear trying to figure it out. He sued to spin around on stage in the 70's in the clubs while playing guitar solos so people couldnt see what the he11 he was doing to get that sound. The hammer ons became a style in itself. everyone that came after tried to copy him, or use his ideas to mold their own from. He literally had an entire generation of guitarists try to emulate him. no other guitarist had THAT MUCH of a following. there were many greats before him, Page, Hendrix, etc.... but nobody had THAT kind of following. He was the closest thing to a "Guitar God". Every company wanted his endorsements, everyone wanted to play like him and sound like him.

wow, am I rambling or what???:o :o :o

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 05:06 PM
Good info. Thanks UMP.

For all, so long as you don't expect to see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BStv8X7bkVw), you'll probably have a ball. Having just watched this, I think seeing the reunion would just make me sad.

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 05:08 PM
East,

Eddie used that old beat up Marshall to get his tone from. That thing has been around the world many times. He sent it away in the late 80's to be overhauled as it was war torn from all the touring. I cant remember the guys name that did the work, but its in a guitar mag somewhere. the amp head was then incorporated into his rack rig. Bradshaw wired it up using a dummy speaker load off the head and somehow bled off the voltage to a line level signal to travel through the rest of his rack setup. As all rockstars do, he ran empty cabs on stage for the look. but the rack system was the heart of it, powering several cabinets which were mic'd and routed thru the house sound board. I know he used other stuff inthe studio, but live it was usually that mongrel marshall head incorporated into his rack system that Bradshaw built.

The brown sound was named that because it simulated a brown out, meaning the voltage was dropped. thats what was produced when he used the variac to drop the voltage. Plug into your tube amp, start playing and have someone turn the amp off while playing, as the sound starts to drop, you can see where he got the idea from. The tone gets a bit sweeter as the voltage dissipates. Mesa/Boogie has a spin off of this on their current amps called the "Bold/Spongy" switch. I have it on my Road King, it simulates a Variac effect. To my knowledge, Eddie never used a TS-808. I have never read that anywhere.

I know he used that bone stock Marshall Superlead that he bought from a club he had played at. It was their house amp, a model from the mid 70's. he liked it so much that he bought it.

Analog man's mods are not the brown sound.

I just think Eddie had a total package, He had sound nobody had, a style nobody had, and innovations. His guitar style alone was ground breaking. Sure he never invented the hammer on or pull off, but he used it in a way to forge a whole new style of playing that had the whole guitar world turned on its ear trying to figure it out. He sued to spin around on stage in the 70's in the clubs while playing guitar solos so people couldnt see what the he11 he was doing to get that sound. The hammer ons became a style in itself. everyone that came after tried to copy him, or use his ideas to mold their own from. He literally had an entire generation of guitarists try to emulate him. no other guitarist had THAT MUCH of a following. there were many greats before him, Page, Hendrix, etc.... but nobody had THAT kind of following. He was the closest thing to a "Guitar God". Every company wanted his endorsements, everyone wanted to play like him and sound like him.

wow, am I rambling or what???:o :o :o

Is that why some people don't plug effects pedals in, i.e., because there is a variance in power using batteries? I've got a voodoo labs pedal power box that runs most of my pedals (except the ross compressor), and two of the outlets simulate the battery variance.

So what does analog mike's brown mod (http://analogman.com/ts9.htm) on the TS pedals do?

/edit. Just noticed this on his page about a "brown sound" (http://analogman.com/bennett.htm) pedal.

//kind of answered my own questions.

shepherd
01-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Here's another planned reunion, the Police:

"Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are gearing up for a reunion tour set for this summer. Broadcast reports say the trio will be rehearsing in Canada and complete details are expected in the next few weeks. There is also talk that The Police would open the Grammy Awards Feb 11th."

01-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Is that why some people don't plug effects pedals in, i.e., because there is a variance in power using batteries? I've got a voodoo labs pedal power box that runs most of my pedals (except the ross compressor), and two of the outlets simulate the battery variance.

So what does analog mike's brown mod (http://analogman.com/ts9.htm) on the TS pedals do?

/edit. Just noticed this on his page about a "brown sound" (http://analogman.com/bennett.htm) pedal.

//kind of answered my own questions.

YES!:) thats why! some people run half used batteries to get a better tone, and thats why the voodoo labs has that voltage variance.

Analog man, and others try to emulate the brown sound by modding a Ts-808. the real way to get it, is to use a variac on the amp.

Side note: you mentioned batteries in pedals, Eric Johnson claims he can determine the brand of a battery in a pedal just by comparing it with other batteries. :cool:

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Read those links to analog man. From the description, the "brown mod" is not the same as brown sound. Just named for the color of the circuit apparently.

JimN
01-26-2007, 08:14 PM
As long as the "brown sound" isn't the same as what they got from hearing it on South Park, I'm OK with it.

I would have to see EJ pick the brand of battery correctly a high % of the time and it would have to be a blind test for me to believe that.

I do agree that half-dead batteries sound great in certain pedals. I have a couple of Boss OD-2 and when the battery is going bad, it's a lot warmer and I'm going to find the "good" voltage so I can give it to the pedal all the time and not have to deal with battery death when I don't want it. Battery dying, not a problem but battery death sucks- always when you don't want it or have a spare. With a power supply, I need to work on it to get the sound I like. I just bought an RPG Electronics Rocktavia octave/distortion but the battery is still new so I haven't had a chance to hear the difference. It has the same chip as the original Tube Screamer and he hand builds them with his own mods. At a fairly low tone setting, it does what he called "wave folding" and it sounds kind of like a ring modulator. The octave follows really well, all over the neck. I haven't tried it with bass yet, either. It's really similar to the Hendrix/Jeff Beck/good raised octave sound Roger Mayer got but it doesn't have the little rocket-looking case.

tex
01-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I'd pay to see/hear the brown sound. EVH wheels may have flown off but at least he had great wheels! He may be easy to bag on but everyone and their dog has stolen from him. My non-playing humble opinion....Nobody else that I'd rather listen to. I've done a lot of dumb ars chit to his music! Sammy or Dave...They both are crazy but fun!

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 09:12 PM
As long as the "brown sound" isn't the same as what they got from hearing it on South Park, I'm OK with it.

I would have to see EJ pick the brand of battery correctly a high % of the time and it would have to be a blind test for me to believe that.

I do agree that half-dead batteries sound great in certain pedals. I have a couple of Boss OD-2 and when the battery is going bad, it's a lot warmer and I'm going to find the "good" voltage so I can give it to the pedal all the time and not have to deal with battery death when I don't want it. Battery dying, not a problem but battery death sucks- always when you don't want it or have a spare. With a power supply, I need to work on it to get the sound I like. I just bought an RPG Electronics Rocktavia octave/distortion but the battery is still new so I haven't had a chance to hear the difference. It has the same chip as the original Tube Screamer and he hand builds them with his own mods. At a fairly low tone setting, it does what he called "wave folding" and it sounds kind of like a ring modulator. The octave follows really well, all over the neck. I haven't tried it with bass yet, either. It's really similar to the Hendrix/Jeff Beck/good raised octave sound Roger Mayer got but it doesn't have the little rocket-looking case.

The way I understand it, the battery variance sounds particularly good in Boss pedals. I have my old pink boss analog delay on that variance setting on the "pedal power." No death, just the "little death;" and we know how nice that can sound.

01-26-2007, 09:47 PM

.TRU DAT!:D I agree totally Jim, I would personally have to see it to believe it, but thats what EJ claims.....:confused:

east tx skier
01-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I'd pay to see/hear the brown sound. EVH wheels may have flown off but at least he had great wheels! He may be easy to bag on but everyone and their dog has stolen from him. My non-playing humble opinion....Nobody else that I'd rather listen to. I've done a lot of dumb ars chit to his music! Sammy or Dave...They both are crazy but fun!

You know, probably easy for me to pass on it because I've already seen him. I'm sure the guy will put on a great show.

RexDog1
02-21-2007, 12:55 PM
http://93x.com/blog.asp?id=355131&SBID=4444 (http://93x.com/blog.asp?id=355131&SBID=4444)

To bad………………………….. VAN HALEN tour already postponed?:rolleyes:

02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
imagine that.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kevin 89MC
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Here's another planned reunion, the Police:

"Sting, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are gearing up for a reunion tour set for this summer. Broadcast reports say the trio will be rehearsing in Canada and complete details are expected in the next few weeks. There is also talk that The Police would open the Grammy Awards Feb 11th."
Looks like this one may actually happen. Seeing as I didn't really become a fan until after they broke up, I'll definitely consider seeing them. Their old stuff (OK, it's all old now) is really great. A sign of a great band, at least for me: I enjoy all the songs that aren't played on the radio more than the ones that are. Definitely true with the Police. Born in the 50's, On any other day, Canary in a Coalmine, Demolition Man, etc. etc.
Hopefully the tickets won't be outrageously priced.

RexDog1
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.theticketloft.com/ResultsEvent.aspx?event=Van%20Halen (http://www.theticketloft.com/ResultsEvent.aspx?event=Van%20Halen)
well it looks like pigs are flying, this is going to hurt……:(