PDA

View Full Version : '04 xstar

ironj32
01-25-2007, 10:09 AM
i just joined the other day, so Hi! i'm looking at buying my first boat (definately going to be an MC) and am wondering about hours & resale value. there is an '04 Xstar in my area that has about 500 hrs. is that quite-a-bit or somewhat standard for 3 years old? NADA has it at $53k and he has already went down to $44k. just curious if this would be a wise purchase...assuming that it is in good shape and all. i'll probably end up upgrading to a new one in 2 or 3 years. also, are there any common problems with the Xstars that i should be aware about and should look for when checking this boat out?
thanks.

Evan Jones
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Sounds like a great deal. Water test it, take it do a dealer and pay him to check it out. They can check the computer and see if it has ever overheated also. Be thorough, and you'll have a great boat. 500 hours is a decent amount for 3 years, but not a lot for the lifespan of the boat.

ironj32
01-25-2007, 01:57 PM
thanks! i won't be able to sea trial it until late march probably...going to try and put a deposit down until i can take it out on the water. i talked to the only MC dealer up here (the seller used to work there) and they said they it was regularly serviced on time and that there were no major repairs/incindents with it. they did replace one of the ballast pumps however.

Byrdman
01-25-2007, 03:30 PM
If you like the way it looks, BUY IT!! That is a great deal on that boat, IMO. Take it to the dealer and let them go through it top to bottom. If the dealer gives the thumbs up, get it so the seller wont change his mind. BTW, I'm planning on upgrading over the next few years to a 05-06 X-Star. What engine, prop, & rudder does it have? If it has the upgrades, that is even a better deal.

Jesus_Freak
01-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Welcome! There are a number of threads here that offer excellent advice on how to comb a used boat if you are interested. Happy posting!

ironj32
01-25-2007, 04:11 PM
I am not sure about the prop and rudder. It has the MCX 350 in it.

Byrdman
01-25-2007, 05:03 PM
The new 07 prop to have on that boat, I believe, is a 14.25 x 14.50. As for the rudder, some got upgraded to a bigger rudder. No big deal if not, just a nice option to have...

PendO
01-25-2007, 05:33 PM
which engine does it have?

/// saw that it has the MCX ... sorry, but I wouldn't want an xtar with the mcx ... not enough power for the boat when loaded with people/ballast/equipment. IMO

/// however, if the boat is priced so that you can use it for a few years and not get hurt on the resale it may be a good purchase ... on some level I just think it is silly for MC to put the MCX into the larger boats ... I'm sure it works, and I suppose it allows poeople to to get a great boat for 10K or so less, so take my comments with a grain of salt as I don't want to come off as some elitist, I'm a whore for horsepower and torque ... I thought about the LQ9 for my 197, but with the problems Rod had I skipped it, and the L18 on a 197 seemed like too heavy of an engine for the best possible slalom wakes ... now, if I ever get a different 197 I would want the LY6 w/ powerslot ... it sure would be nice if consumers had access to torqe / horsepower curves on the different engines so that we could all make informed decisions

As for what to look for on a used X-star ... find out if the fuel pump has ever been replaced ... ours (2004) failed last season, other than that there have been no mechanical issues, and the original prop was SS and cracked and replaced under warranty

Jerseydave
01-25-2007, 08:42 PM
First of all, welcome ironj32! You will find this site extremely helpful and addicting!

I can tell you after just buying my '05 x-star 2 weeks ago, there are alot of '04 x-stars out there. I've heard everyone's opinion about the MCX vs. the 6.0 vs. the 8.1 engines. I can tell you there are alot more x-stars out there for sale with the MCX engine than the other 2. Many have stated that with the 14.25 X 14 prop it's a good engine to have.
I haven't tried mine out yet, but in the spring I'll know better.

I also agree with a rudder change, based on what others have said and based on the difference the new rudder made on my '03 Maristar.

IMO, the boat you're looking at is a great buy, although 500 hours would reflect 5-7 years of use with most owners.

I know ERK (chicago mastercraft) has a sweet '04 x-star (black & white) that has less hours on it (I looked into buying his), and MYMC and Jim @ BAWS will also be able to help you out finding what you're looking for. All are great guys to deal with, you can't go wrong.

Whatever boat you choose, you must POST PICS on here after you buy it or else we'll come to your house and do donuts on your front lawn! :D

Just kidding (maybe):rolleyes:

Good luck in your new purchase!

-Dave W

ironj32
01-25-2007, 10:28 PM
thanks a lot guys for all the input. it will definately come in handy. the pics will be up the day i make the purchase...i've been waiting about 20 years to get one of my own!

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Welcome. My knowledge of anything close to an xstar stops at about 98, but you'll find plenty of info on the subject here. Good luck!

endl
01-26-2007, 12:15 PM
I know where a 04 is with less than 50 hours on it but no trailer. Red and White. Buddy of mine has a brother bought a lake house and it came in the deal and he does not ski or wakeboard.

ironj32
01-26-2007, 01:11 PM
where is it located? how much?

Byrdman
01-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I might be interrested in that 04 as well especially if it is in Arkansas. 14 hr trip for me, Let me know. BTW, the 350 MCX in that hull is fine with ballast and peeps as long as it is proped right. With the old 13, no way, but with the new 14.25x14 or 14.5 it will be just fine. Ironj32, if you dont buy the one for $44K let me know where it is. Thanks...