PDA

View Full Version : x-45 Which Motor ly6 or 8100

kkrbogey1
01-24-2007, 10:39 PM
I was just at Atlanta Boat show and saw the 2007 Master Craft X-45 and purchased one instead of the ski nautique crossover boat. The x45 seems to be a better boat.

I have the boat ordered with the new LY6 motor that has 400hp. I have been debating going with the 8100 HO which has 450hp. The dealer said all I need was the LY6 and that was plenty of power for the boat. I have about one week to modify order as I am having boat built to certain color scheme.

I use the boat for towing my three boys and their friends. If anybody has a X45 with the LY6 is that plenty of power? As you know these boats are not cheap and I do not want to buy one I plan to own a long time and have it be underpowered.

Thanks

PendO
01-24-2007, 11:51 PM
I was just at Atlanta Boat show and saw the 2007 Master Craft X-45 and purchased one instead of the ski nautique crossover boat. The x45 seems to be a better boat.

I have the boat ordered with the new LY6 motor that has 400hp. I have been debating going with the 8100 HO which has 450hp. The dealer said all I need was the LY6 and that was plenty of power for the boat. I have about one week to modify order as I am having boat built to certain color scheme.

I use the boat for towing my three boys and their friends. If anybody has a X45 with the LY6 is that plenty of power? As you know these boats are not cheap and I do not want to buy one I plan to own a long time and have it be underpowered.

Thanks

Its simple really ... have you ever met the guy who was disappointed with 50 extra horsepower in a boat the size of the X45?

If you can swing it, bet the L18, you will not regret your decision IMO.

sand2snow22
01-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Were you looking at the 236 or SV 211? Regardless, good decision on the X45. I would go with the 8.1 only because of resale value. I know you're not going to sell anytime soon, but I have a friend who has a 2006 Supra 24SSV. His boat is currently for sale and he has a lot of interest from people living in high altitudes. They want the 8.1, he only has 340 hp :confused:

Hopefully MYMC will chime in........

X-45
01-25-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't know what the cost is but If you can, go for 450HP. X-45 weighs in at 5000 lb empty. Not easy to plane out on cruises. That being said I've got the MCX 350 HP and it will yank my big butt out skiing just fine. But I wish I had more. That's just me though. My old ski boat cruised at 30 mph @ 3000 RPM. Now It's about 3700 @ 30 mph. It's screaming at 36 mph. One last note "It is easer to pull back on the throttle than it is to add HP".:cool:

One last note. We love ours. Load it up with friends and kids and have a blast. It's a great boat with a lot of room. You'll have a great time with what ever you purchase.:D

slalomdude
01-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Did you get the standard cruse or did you get the perfect pass. if you have the perfect pass. I know there is a glitch in the speed 25mph and below with the big block motors. its got to do with the diferent mode you have got to set perfect pass up with. witch is basicly small block or big block. I've notices this on the LQ9, LY6 and becuase the 8100 is a big block I'm sure its there. I think that the Stanard cruse is the best way to go. I have not herd any issues with that. The only two reasons I run perfect pass is because I run a MCX- Small Block and I need times for jump mode and slaolm mode.

ilikeitglacy
01-25-2007, 08:26 AM
on the january winter skiing vid that was shown on this site, we used two boats: the tt 2007 as a ly6 in it and it is a very powerfull engin, we felt a big difference compare to the mcx we used to drive...on other hand the x-45 in the same vid as a mcx, and when rinding it, i did not feel the need for more hp as the boat took of supprisingly quick.(one thing though:THE heater does not work with 38 degree water...)

slalomdude
01-25-2007, 08:47 AM
on the january winter skiing vid that was shown on this site, we used two boats: the tt 2007 as a ly6 in it and it is a very powerfull engin, we felt a big difference compare to the mcx we used to drive...on other hand the x-45 in the same vid as a mcx, and when rinding it, i did not feel the need for more hp as the boat took of supprisingly quick.(one thing though:THE heater does not work with 38 degree water...)

Did you change stock prop? I was using one of the collage team (UW Stout) 197 they have the ly6 we were having trouble pulling 3 bare footer because of the stock prop. My 06 197 tt with MCX had 6 footer. pulled amazining.

Foilin_fool
01-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Something else to consider with the BB is fuel economy. The PWT is using an MCX (350hp) with the new 14.5 X 14.5 prop. An X-Star with the Pro ballast is going to be roughly the same weight as the X-45.

Just food for thought. B.T.W. Great choice in boats - the X-45 is awesome!

captain planet
01-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks
Sent a PM at ya.

Diesel
01-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Paging MYMC to isle 3...............

PendO
01-25-2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=290812#post290812

look at this thread:)

I answered this before...there is no comparision between the two. Do the math 500+ ft/lbs times 1.52 vs 400 ft/fbs times 1.52 give you prop torque...the big block wins EVERY TIME! I KEEP REPEATING MYSELF! HOW MANY UNHAPPY L-18 OWNERS HAVE YOU SEEN POST ON HERE?

If you leave the 2007 factory prop on the boat for the L-18 (13.7x17) then I would imagine that oil comsumption as well as fuel consumtion will be an issue. However if you follow my reccomendation and ask that it be changed before delivery then this should not be an issue at all. Based on deliveries so far in 2007 I would buy the L18 if you can make it work in the budget...2nd choice would be the LY6.

Hey Doug, can you make a FAQ thread on what Mike thinks of the L-18 ... thanks in advance:)

here is another thread on topic http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=283967#post283967

I've said it before and I'll say it again the L-18 is the ONLY engine to order in the X-Star (budget allowing). You'll never need to 2nd guess props unless you move to a mountain top and begin pulling the pro tour or start racing boats. Fuel economy (kind of an oxymoron in this discussion) will surpass the others since you will not be required to prop the boat down to achieve satisfactory performance.

***Word to the wise*** there are modifications I do reccomend, the stock prop on a 2007 L-18 X-Star is too small and there is a reason why...but no one knows it (one guy does but he isnt telling). I'll walk you through it, but you need the info up front. (by the way this is just me talking and not MC boat company)

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=265737#post265737

I've been beating the L-18 drum around here for years...it is the ONLY way to go in these boats period! Why?

1) Power, there is an excess of power. Why is this an advantage? The engine does not require the use of smaller props and therefore does not need to turn higher rpm. High RPMs exacerbate wear and fuel consumption why do you think your street car or truck is turning 1800 RPM going 70 mph?. THE L-18 SAVES YOU MONEY!

2) ROI, Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of the NADA guide and look at the add for the L-18 engine! By way of example, the 2003 X-Star is based with the 310hp engine but the 350hp MCX adds 0 dollars, LQ9 adds $4380, L-18...$10,810(it didn't cost that much new)! Sure it's just a guide...but it is the guide every major bank is using.

Sure I understand the implication of the up front cost of the option but when you are talking about boats that are this size/weight and are only going to be made heavier, do yourself a favor and give some thought.

MYMC
01-25-2007, 12:15 PM
Ahhh, my favorite subject, the LY6 vs L18 debate!

Well...if you can afford it buy the L18 hands down, no doubt about it. My 2nd choice would be the LY6...but who wants to settle?

Why? The X45 is a BIG HEAVY boat that needs the extra torque that is available with the L18. In the long run you'll save fuel, wear and tear on your engine and get more money on resale.

erkoehler
01-25-2007, 12:36 PM

Thanks

LY6 has plenty of power once broken in. Give it atleast 10 hours before you judge its power.

If you can afford the upgrade, like Mike said go w/ the 8.1L

prostar205
01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Did you get the standard cruse or did you get the perfect pass. if you have the perfect pass. I know there is a glitch in the speed 25mph and below with the big block motors. its got to do with the diferent mode you have got to set perfect pass up with. witch is basicly small block or big block. I've notices this on the LQ9, LY6 and becuase the 8100 is a big block I'm sure its there. I think that the Stanard cruse is the best way to go. I have not herd any issues with that. The only two reasons I run perfect pass is because I run a MCX- Small Block and I need times for jump mode and slaolm mode.

I have the L-18 in my X30 and it rocks. Furthermore, I have never had a problem holding speed below 25 mph. In fact, we surf at 8.8 mph and it holds steady all the time. I did move the Perfect Pass Paddle wheel to just in front of the engine. Originally, it was next to the center drain plug.

Get the L-18, you will love it.

SkiDog
01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Something else to consider with the BB is fuel economy. The PWT is using an MCX (350hp) with the new 14.5 X 14.5 prop. An X-Star with the Pro ballast is going to be roughly the same weight as the X-45.

Oh yea! what do you know?!?!?!?!:D :D :D :D

MYMC
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM

First an X45 has more wetted surface.
Second...you're going to add friends, stuff, possibly more ballast, 100 gallons fuel (opposed to 60)...and then the boat is...under powered no matter what prop is on it.

The ACME is a better is prop and I can help with those if you go that way.

rick s.
01-25-2007, 03:26 PM
I agree with all the others, if you can afford it go BIG. I have an 06 X-45 with the MCX and it does all that we want it to do. I have two boys, we usually bring another family along, plenty of room for everyone.

It's not (IMO) a ski boat, but we don't ski. We surf & wakeboard and the boat does really great. It doesn't have the hole shot of my older maristar 210, but that's ok. 30 mph is really comfortable for cruising, can't really imagine the need to cruise faster. Top is about 42. Will be replacing the standard OJ prop with an Acme so this should improve.

slalomdude
01-25-2007, 04:16 PM
I have the L-18 in my X30 and it rocks. Furthermore, I have never had a problem holding speed below 25 mph. In fact, we surf at 8.8 mph and it holds steady all the time. I did move the Perfect Pass Paddle wheel to just in front of the engine. Originally, it was next to the center drain plug.

it might be something with the hull and paddel wheel location.

PendO
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM

we have the L-18 in an xstar and have no problem holding speed either:)

kkrbogey1
01-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks for all your commnets. I appreciate the feedback.

ironbrad
09-16-2007, 05:21 AM
fyi, just got our X45 in yesterday with the LY6. We had 7 ppl on the boat (mostly guys weighing over 200lbs /pc), full fuel, full ballasts. No problems pulling one of the larger 250lb guys out of the water. Ly6 is plenty for HP. Topped out around 45MPH.

magnum
11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
PendO What model X-star do you have and what size prop are you running, We are looking at a used one maybe to buy and test drove it and it seemed a little sluggish and top speed was 41. It had the 8.1 2004 model

Springer
11-02-2007, 10:55 PM
I had an 07 X15 with the Ly6....at first I thought wow...this is it. After about 40-50 hours I started to get bored with it. When I hit 90 hours and was really used to it I decided to trade it in for an Xstar with the 8.1. I have friends with this motor and they tell me they NEVER would go back to a smaller motor. On a X45 that is a much bigger boat I would say it is a no brainer to get the 8.1 don't you>>>

PendO
11-03-2007, 11:15 AM
PendO What model X-star do you have and what size prop are you running, We are looking at a used one maybe to buy and test drove it and it seemed a little sluggish and top speed was 41. It had the 8.1 2004 model

2004 x star 8.1

OJ 13.7 X 17 (small wakesurf, holeshot, lotza bodies in the boat)
OJ 13.7 19.5 (the new daily driver)
OJ 14.5 X 22 (original stock), actually the original was SS but it cracked due to defect and was replaced under warranty

top speed is best with the 19.5, I think I have it posted somewhere on here but if you send a PM to mike (MYMC) I'll bet he can give you some information on the specs ... also, I am at 2062ft above sea level, so if the lower you go the better you get as far as top end