PDA

View Full Version : '85 Colors

MTskier19
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
O.K. here is an interesting situation. We have an '85 skier 19, Red on Grey. I am curious to know what the paint colors really are. The reason, is my father is building an amphibious airplane and we want to paint in a similar scheme as the boat.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Jarrett

TMCNo1
01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
O.K. here is an interesting situation. We have an '85 skier 19, Red on Grey. I am curious to know what the paint colors really are. The reason, is my father is building an amphibious airplane and we want to paint in a similar scheme as the boat.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Mike Jarrett

Most boat industry colors are from a generic (International) color chart that has the entire spectrum of colors that are not OEM specific to the automotive industry. Every paint manufacturer has such a chart for customers use.
Go to any automotive paint store and ask for their standard color chart and from it you can match up the colors from your boat as close as 95% or more. Then any colors you choose can be cross referenced to any other manufacturer if you don't want to use the co. that gave you the color chart. Yet when I redid my 1989 trailer in 1997, the Dupont # 51078 Red from Mastercraft was the exact same color as the PPG 1986 Ford Pickup Candy Apple Red.
Another interesting note, since I am a Sign Painter/Pinstriper, I found that the 1986 Ford Candy Apple Red is a 50/50 mix of 1 Shot Sign Painters Enamel Bright Red 104-L and Maroon 108-L, that I use for touch up. Go figure!

By the way, I was born in Anaconda, Montana and lived in Cut Bank, Deer Lodge, Butte and Missoula till we moved back to NC when I was 6. My dad was in heavy contruction, 1946 to 1952 building highways on/in/around what is now Ferry Lake.

alanboater
01-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Along these same lines...I just looked at an 89 and it had a marroon/red bottom. I have been looking at pic's on 89's and have found none with this color scheam. Doe sthis mean it was custom or redone? I have just looked into getting a MC so am a novice. Any insights?

TMCNo1
01-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Along these same lines...I just looked at an 89 and it had a marroon/red bottom. I have been looking at pic's on 89's and have found none with this color scheam. Doe sthis mean it was custom or redone? I have just looked into getting a MC so am a novice. Any insights?

The standard red color in '89 was a dark red, much like todays ProTour Red. On the bottom, it could appear to be much darker than on the sides in the sunlight or someone may have painted it or ordered it with a special darker red gelcoat.