PDA

View Full Version : Cuttin' Foam

Bradsinger
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone Ever tried to cut foam for there seats? I found a pretty good way of doing so without the expensive fancy tool. Just get an electric fish cuttin' knife with two blades side by side. Works like a champ! :cool:

loeweb
01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Awesome. Where did you get the foam for your seats @?

Bradsinger
01-24-2007, 01:32 PM
I got the foam from joann fabrics 4'' thick for $34-45. a yard

phecksel
01-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Anyone Ever tried to cut foam for there seats? I found a pretty good way of doing so without the expensive fancy tool. Just get an electric fish cuttin' knife with two blades side by side. Works like a champ! :cool:
Shhh, this is a secret
That's how the auto seat mfg build small run prototypes, LOL

east tx skier
01-25-2007, 01:10 PM
In building a seat, I learned two things.

1. Get your foam from a place that does auto trim work and take a seat for comparison so you get something of equal density. Either that, or know exactly what to ask for. The stuff I got at the fabric store was flat as a pancake in seconds when you sat on it and I had to restuff.

2. For cutting seat foam, another good tool that works well is a hacksaw.

pilot02
01-25-2007, 01:56 PM
I used the electric filet knife myself after talking to one of the upholstery suppliers here in ATL. It worked GREAT! I also learned that after you make the initial cuts you can use a belt sander to create the curved edges so that you don't have sharp lines showing underneath the vynil.

Ron Grover
01-25-2007, 06:39 PM
If anyone needed to know how to cut foam all they had to do was ask. Foam fabrication and laminating business here.

Do not do the upholstery foam, (urethanes) I do the cross linked polyethelenes. But I do know how to cut and shape urethanes.