PDA

View Full Version : Why Sell a MC?

jenglin
01-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm just curious to know why people on this forum have sold their MC's. Is it due to updating to a newer MC, lack of money, or just lack of use? I hope I never have to sell mine, b/c I've wanted one since I learned how to ski 22 years ago. It's been a dream come true for me since never owning one until now. Interested to hear what you have to say.

kycat2007
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
I updated from a Tristar to a Maristar when I sold my first boat. I would say that some have not used their boats much so they feel it is a good idea to move the boat and not lose the $ value these boats have. Some have switched to fishing and some have gotten older and some lose their lake friends.

KnoxX2
01-23-2007, 01:41 PM
I would only sell mine to up grade to a newer MC. Maybe in a few years!!

gtink
01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I sold my MC 205 for an X-30. Then broke my foot, so missed all last summer. (Fun ridding around though).

I hope to one day get another 205, as it was a fun small powerful boat for slalom. The X-30 has more room for the family, and will be around for a great # of years I hope.

erkoehler
01-23-2007, 02:16 PM
I like to think I have an influence on people trading up, just ask Jrandol how it all began :D

Although, many parents sell when kids go away to college or move out of the house and don't use the boat any longer. Also, alot of people seem to keep there boats for 10 years, which means mid 90's boats are being flipped now!

Harvey
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Kids! If I sell my boat now it will be because I can't afford kids and the boat. Prior to that I only got rid of one to trade up.

SteveO
01-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Kids! If I sell my boat now it will be because I can't afford kids and the boat. Prior to that I only got rid of one to trade up.

Harvey, Stop that nonsense babble. First you buy an engagement ring and now you speak of getting rid of the boat? Your scaring me dude!

BrianM
01-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Sold my first one to trade up 9 model years. I will be selling again only to make another upgrade.

bigmac
01-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Although, many parents sell when kids go away to college or move out of the house and don't use the boat any longer. Also, alot of people seem to keep there boats for 10 years, which means mid 90's boats are being flipped now!We bought the MasterCraft after my kids went away to college. The boat we had before was one we'd had for a little over 10 years, though, and likely we'll keep the MasterCraft at least that long. I feel no need to upgradel.

trickskier
01-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I sold my ProStar 190 and bought an X-1. I needed the extra room because my kids are starting to bring a lot of their friends to the lake with us.

jraben8
01-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I only upgraded to get the open bow for the kids and 12 model years newer. Oh yea, this one rides phenominally better too.

My wife and I had a deal before we had kids that the boat would be purchased before the kids so it would be paid off.... The MC made it by 6 weeks.

teddy
01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
My first MC was a 90 Pro Star We sold it to replace it with a v drive for better wakeboarding wakes. However my wife and I missed the flat soft wakes of the MC and went looking for a second boat for us to ski behind. We have replaced the 90 with a 92 Pro Star 190 that we are thrilled with

slink976
01-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm just curious to know why people on this forum have sold their MC's. Is it due to updating to a newer MC, lack of money, or just lack of use? I hope I never have to sell mine, b/c I've wanted one since I learned how to ski 22 years ago. It's been a dream come true for me since never owning one until now. Interested to hear what you have to say.

I updated my 2001 prostar 190 to a 2006 X2, was really getting into Wakeboarding. But I will always own a Mastercraft!

Ryan
01-23-2007, 03:36 PM

Here are a few that I can think of including mine*:
-Relocation*
-want a bigger boat*
-move to colder climate want cheaper boat since you'll use it less often (maybe*)
-find smokin' deal on another brand (maybe*)
-move to warmer climate want nicer boat that you'll use more often
-you're dealer closed/is an a-hole chose another brand when upgrading
-need cash for investment/home/drug dealer/pimp or other debt repayment
-joined the military
-went to college
-went to grad/med/law school
-want smaller boat
-want flashier boat
-want cheaper boat
-want a boat they can work on (ie carb'd boat)
-want all the crazy new electronic$ and want to pay a dealer to maintain
-injuries
-moving out of the category, want other toy ie sand rail, sewing machine etc...
-have no friends - resort to buying jetski or canoe - subcategory of above
-not good with finances = the bank took the boat back
-not good with finances = went BK
-not good with finances = bought too many toys
-crouded lakes
-the wife said so (you need 12wk course on negotiating)
-wife not good with finances = must sell boat to pay debt on scrapbooking junk
-doctor said so
-driving a flat bottomed MC is killing your back in rough water (see injuries)
-suck at skiing want a wake boat
-suck at wakeboarding want a pontoon
-suck at it all and want a bass boat
-like to burn gas driving for nothing and trade for an i/o (so called 'cruising':confused: )
-storage circumstances change
-your other woman/lover/2nd girlfriend takes too much of your spare time
-love boat more than wife
-divorce (see 2 above)
-loss of job
-death
-crashed boat, now selling out for parts
-cat peed in boat during winter and can't get the smell out
-you got old & picked up lawn-bowling

trickskier
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Here are a few that I can think of including mine*:
-Relocation*
-want a bigger boat*
-move to colder climate want cheaper boat since you'll use it less often (maybe*)
-find smokin' deal on another brand (maybe*)
-move to warmer climate want nicer boat that you'll use more often
-you're dealer closed/is an a-hole chose another brand when upgrading
-need cash for investment/home/drug dealer/pimp or other debt repayment
-joined the military
-went to college
-went to grad/med/law school
-want smaller boat
-want flashier boat
-want cheaper boat
-want a boat they can work on (ie carb'd boat)
-want all the crazy new electronic$ and want to pay a dealer to maintain
-injuries
-crouded lakes
-the wife said so (you need 12wk course on negotiating)
-doctor said so
-driving a flat bottomed MC is killing your back in rough water (see injuries)
-suck at skiing want a wake boat
-suck at wakeboarding want a pontoon
-suck at it all and want a bass boat
-like to burn gas driving for nothing and trade for an i/o (so called 'cruising':confused: )
-storage circumstances change
-divorce
-loss of job
-death
-crashed boat, now selling out for parts
-cat peed in boat during winter and can't get the smell out
-you got old & picked up lawn-bowling
Well I think that just about covers EVERYTHING!!! :uglyhamme

Ryan
01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
You know what's funny/sad is I can think of (or at least search back) someone I read about on this site that covers every one of those reasons. Except the lawn bowling - I know it's hard to believe, I made that one up. ;)

jenglin
01-23-2007, 03:54 PM
He really took this thread too heart and thought long and hard about it. Thanks for all of your hard work, but I guess I was really looking for some more personal experiences.

Ryan
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
He really took this thread too heart and thought long and hard about it. Thanks for all of your hard work, but I guess I was really looking for some more personal experiences.

You're a funny guy. Those with an asterisk are my reasons for selling right now. I'd consider that personal. 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2007, 04:16 PM
My reasons:
Storage issues & relocation..

Keeping in mind we have access to many others....

Harvey
01-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Harvey, Stop that nonsense babble. First you buy an engagement ring and now you speak of getting rid of the boat? Your scaring me dude!

He asked what are reasons to get rid of a boat. Don't get too worried, I am not going to do anything soon. One day we are going to have kids and I have always said "I can always get a pull with gas money and help with the boat but I can't get food for a kid with a boat." :D

Ryan
01-23-2007, 04:27 PM
My reasons:
Storage issues & relocation..

Keeping in mind we have access to many others....

You aren't moving too are you?

NORTHERN LIGHTS
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
I sold my ProStar 190 and bought an X-1. I needed the extra room because my kids are starting to bring a lot of their friends to the lake with us.
same here. had a 1988 prostar. LOVED THE BOAT! but.... kids family friends wakeboarding, back in the day we just use to ski...sun up to sun down...seems to be much more social now...suppose thats my fault

TMCNo1
01-23-2007, 06:13 PM

Forgot one,

Your a granite countertop shop owner and you need to downsize!!!!!!!!!

Ric
01-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I was lured in by the shiny new 197 and couldn't stop myself.

milkmania
01-23-2007, 07:13 PM

...forgot the pink seats

sjk
01-23-2007, 07:20 PM
Wanted to go to the dark side...

mig
01-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Selling our boat for a newer model. Anyone looking for one of these?

rstitson
01-23-2007, 07:26 PM
We are buying now as want to enjoy time with child before college. In 4-5 years may trade in for ocean going boat if the interest in watersports wane. There are a lot of used ocean capable boats available but did not find much for used mastercrafts that fit our generic needs. Course if my son/us become hardcore will keep the x-15 until we give it to one of our children.

mig
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
let's try this again. 17687

Kyle's_prostar205
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Selling my 1997 Prostar 205 to buy #32 of 100 of the 2007 Tournament Team boats at the end of this year!

Ryan
01-23-2007, 07:41 PM
...forgot the pink seats

Oh, how could I forget?

We may have cracking at the seams soon.

Jerseydave
01-23-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm on my 3rd MC now. (8th boat I've owned)

Tried everything from an outboard, 19' jet with Chevy big block, 23' I/O, 30' perf. boat with twin 502's. Keep coming back to Mastercrafts.

Always wanted an X-star ever since the hull change in '03, now I've finally got one. We have so much fun with family and friends, it's a great lifestyle.

So to answer your question, sold the old MC to get a newer MC.

Slinkyredfoot
01-23-2007, 08:29 PM
I am 52 yrs old, I always had the opportunity to be a lake boy at an early age, skiing, fishin', hunting for frogs you name it..I was blessed to have a love and a passion for water and the opportunity to enjoy this.

I learned to ski behind outboards, we learned to barefoot by stepping off a boarding ladder on the back of an old Century Resorter. Anyone remember those? or laying flat out with our feet on a bare transom and as we were so cool back then called this "steppin' off."

Where I am going with this is this...I had the passion and love for skiing. Sure there were Nautiques on the lake at that time, and not to many MC's.. a local marina sold CC at the time and these were the boats.

One of my main buds at the time was Jeff LaSalle... his family
owned a 75or6 MC, beautiful blue and white boat much like the Indy Colts...he WAS the master barefooter at the time not to metion an exceptional H20 Skieeer. I know he could have made LaPointe feel like the NE Patroits. I learned a lot from this guy so I always loved MC"S because we got better skiing behind one.
I had to buy one, and I did.

They were and are wonderful top of the line, cutting edge boats, the envy of all of the boaters at our lake who owned anything else.
I would never own any other.

Why do you sell one?? I have no idea but I did, a 98 Prostar 205, sold it for 5K less than I bought it for 7 yrs later. Just never really embrassed it like I did the 79 I bought brand new.
Like so many have stated and so did Jeff Bridges in "The Big Lebowski".
"New information is coming in and things are a changin'"

Well to me this is the case with boating, you adapt to the ever changing needs in you and your family's life, But you will ALWAYS own a Master Craft.:D :D

TMCNo1
01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I am 52 yrs old, I always had the opportunity to be a lake boy at an early age, skiing, fishin', hunting for frogs you name it..I was blessed to have a love and a passion for water and the opportunity to enjoy this.

I learned to ski behind outboards, we learned to barefoot by stepping off a boarding ladder on the back of an old Century Resorter. Anyone remember those? or laying flat out with our feet on a bare transom and as we were so cool back then called this "steppin' off."

Where I am going with this is this...I had the passion and love for skiing. Sure there were Nautiques on the lake at that time, and not to many MC's.. a local marina sold CC at the time and these were the boats.

owned a 75or6 MC, beautiful blue and white boat much like the Indy Colts...he WAS the master barefooter at the time not to metion an exceptional H20 Skieeer. I know he could have made LaPointe feel like the NE Patroits. I learned a lot from this guy so I always loved MC"S because we got better skiing behind one.

They were and are wonderful top of the line, cutting edge boats, the envy of all of the boaters at our lake who owned anything else.

Why do you sell one?? I have no idea but I did, a 98 Prostar 205, sold it for 5K less than I bought it for 7 yrs later. Just never really embrassed it like I did the 79 I bought brand new.

Well to me this is the case with boating, you adapt to the ever changing needs in you and your family's life, But you will ALWAYS own a Master Craft.:D :D

Very nicely put, I can relate!

PendO
01-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm selling mine to buy a new Bu' at the boatshow.

Hoosier Bob
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Ah yes the Resorter! Wood or the later Fiberglass remake? No matter I would love either. Cool post Steve! Thanks again for the case!:D I am 52 yrs old, I always had the opportunity to be a lake boy at an early age, skiing, fishin', hunting for frogs you name it..I was blessed to have a love and a passion for water and the opportunity to enjoy this.

Hoosier Bob
01-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey Casey did you get that big flaming bag of **** I sent you?8p I'm selling mine to buy a new Bu' at the boatshow.

Footin
01-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Sold my 190 because I was barefooting all the time and bought a Barefoot 200, sold the barefoot 200 eight years later to buy a 205 because of a growing family. Will sell the 205 for a 2007 TT197 because they are damn purty.

hacker
01-24-2007, 09:07 AM
We bought our '92 ProSport 205 new, it now has 1500 hours on it. Over the years I've added a shower, heat, and speed control (an old AccuSki unit). Maybe in about 5 years I'll get a 197.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-24-2007, 10:23 AM
You aren't moving too are you?
Done did........;) We need some time to get back on our feet......D4MN that's alot of work and still coming......:o I hope I don't do that again anytime soon...

boatless
01-24-2007, 11:50 AM
I am thinking about selling my because I can't afford it anymore. I thought boating is fun, but how could it be if you have to worry about the next payment all the time. :( It is a lot of stress owning a boat I tell you. :D I have to gas in a boat, I have to deal with all the people wanting a ride in my boat, I have to buy cold one for all the beautiful ladies, and taking a lot of day off at work to enjoy the boat. So my 2005 197 prostar is up forsale. Any taker ? It has less then 100 hours and looks brand stinky new. :rolleyes:

boatless.

Sodar
01-24-2007, 11:52 AM
I am thinking about selling my because I can't afford it anymore. I thought boating is fun, but how could it be if you have to worry about the next payment all the time. :( It is a lot of stress owning a boat I tell you. :D I have to gas in a boat, I have to deal with all the people wanting a ride in my boat, I have to buy cold one for all the beautiful ladies, and taking a lot of day off at work to enjoy the boat. So my 2005 197 prostar is up forsale. Any taker ? It has less then 100 hours and looks brand stinky new. :rolleyes:

boatless.
Pictures??

Chief
01-24-2007, 12:53 PM
Because owing little on a 99 wasn't good enough. I had to owe a ton on a 06. :)

RexDog1
01-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Thinking about selling………….to get an X Star I would talk to Mike about this?

But I have NOT see photos of his new X Star………LOL

I have owned seven boats in my life, everything from a 42’ Fountain to a
18’ flat bottom, and now I will never be without a MC

bradamerry
01-25-2007, 10:34 AM
bad dealers and chevy motors..................

jenglin
01-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Chevy Motors??? Bite your tongue!!! Bad dealers I can understand. What happened for you to say that? However, I do love the pics of the chocolate lab in your gallery. My wife and I have a 4yr old, I can't wait to take him out in the boat with the family this summer.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Chevy Motors??? Bite your tongue!!! Bad dealers I can understand. What happened for you to say that? However, I do love the pics of the chocolate lab in your gallery. My wife and I have a 4yr old, I can't wait to take him out in the boat with the family this summer.
You are asking someone that went from an inboard to an outboard(if i recall):rolleyes:

Jus' sayin'...8p

BrianM
01-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I am thinking about selling my because I can't afford it anymore. I thought boating is fun, but how could it be if you have to worry about the next payment all the time. :(

boatless.

Precisely the reason I have a strict cash for toys policy. Which is why I buy used boats keep them for a couple of years save money and then upgrade. They are not as much fun when you have to make a payment for them every month.

Ryan
01-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Precisely the reason I have a strict cash for toys policy. Which is why I buy used boats keep them for a couple of years save money and then upgrade. They are not as much fun when you have to make a payment for them every month.

Definitely would not be fun when a loan payment and repair bill in the same month ~ especially if the boat were out of commission to whole month.

Cash for toys is my policy too.

PendO
01-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Cash for toys is my policy too.

I'm gonna have to make a mental note of this:)

teddy
01-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I agree cash for toys is a good policy. My 90 MC was bought when I couldn't afford the "cash for toys". My wife and I decided it was an investment in family. We had 4 young children at the time and decided if we waited to long they wouldn't have the family boating experience. It is the one of the activity we could all enjoy together regardless of ability. Tubing, kneeboarding, barefooting, being out with the buoys, wakeboarding, air chairing and more recently surfing we all did together in the same place. Snow skiing we are all on different parts of the hill, basketball, the good ones don't want to play with the not so good ones. The boat was a place we all went together for years. It's now one of the reasons the grown children come back because we still have a "boat".

I view boats as an investment in family.

Hoosier Bob
01-25-2007, 08:30 PM
I pay for all my toys in cash! Period! Of course it is by low and plentiful monthly payments of cash!8p I agree cash for toys is a good policy. My 90 MC was bought when I couldn't afford the "cash for toys". My wife and I decided it was an investment in family. We had 4 young children at the time and decided if we waited to long they wouldn't have the family boating experience. It is the one of the activity we could all enjoy together regardless of ability. Tubing, kneeboarding, barefooting, being out with the buoys, wakeboarding, air chairing and more recently surfing we all did together in the same place. Snow skiing we are all on different parts of the hill, basketball, the good ones don't want to play with the not so good ones. The boat was a place we all went together for years. It's now one of the reasons the grown children come back because we still have a "boat".

jenglin
01-26-2007, 11:35 AM
I agree cash for toys is a good policy. My 90 MC was bought when I couldn't afford the "cash for toys". My wife and I decided it was an investment in family. We had 4 young children at the time and decided if we waited to long they wouldn't have the family boating experience. It is the one of the activity we could all enjoy together regardless of ability. Tubing, kneeboarding, barefooting, being out with the buoys, wakeboarding, air chairing and more recently surfing we all did together in the same place. Snow skiing we are all on different parts of the hill, basketball, the good ones don't want to play with the not so good ones. The boat was a place we all went together for years. It's now one of the reasons the grown children come back because we still have a "boat".

That is exactly what I told my wife. We just had our first child a couple of months ago, and I told her that getting our first boat (a MC) would be an investment for our family.
She grew up on a golf course and I grew up skiing (we were weekend warriors). When we first met I was a member of a show ski team and was a very involved member (7yrs). Change in job, I built new house (on a golf course for my wife), having our first child, I had to give up skiing with my club last year and missed it quite a bit. I was only able to get out twice last year. I think she realized how much I missed skiing and what I sacrificed for our family. I found a great deal on a 1988 Tri Star on this website and we bought it (cash). She didn't want a loan on it so I sacrificed a few other things in life in order to get the boat(not one bit disappointed). To my surprise she is really excited about using it this summer. A family friend once told me (in regards to buying a boat) that no matter what the age of your kids, boating with mom and dad is still a pretty cool thing to do.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2007, 12:05 PM
My insurance agent said this to me the day I bought my last boat...

"There are two GREAT days of boat ownership, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it"....

mayo93prostar
01-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I sold my first mc (82 S&S slot bought in 92) after 9 years of ownership because my youngest son age 4 at the time was scared of going fast and I moved to an area with salt water. almost the day after I sold it I wish I had not. so about 2yrs later an 87 slot came up for sale for cheap price. bought it about 2 years ago. last summer a 93 S&S slot came up for sale in the paper, good price and local, so I bought it. It had a lot less hours and less cosmetic work needed than the 87. therefore, the main reason to sell a MC is to trade up to a better one. I went to boat show last weekend and sat in an X2, thought it was great until I looked at the price tag of $72k. Now I really like my 93 prostar, especially for such a lower price than a new one. I also had good luck with resale value of my past MCs.

Datdude
01-26-2007, 01:41 PM
My insurance agent said this to me the day I bought my last boat...

"There are two GREAT days of boat ownership, the day you buy it, and the day you sell it"....

In my case I would disagree with that statement. I bought my first boat (1999 MC Sportstar closed bow) in May of 2005 and sold it in October of 2005. Watching the boat get pulled away by a stranger was very difficult to watch, even though I knew it was going to be replaced by an equal or better boat. I guess I get too attached to things like that. My boss has a better attitude about stuff like this. When he sold his 2001 PS 190 I asked if he missed it and he said "It is just a serial number". He now has a 2006 PS 197 so.................

Leroy
01-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Cash for toys is great rule, bought my 01 230VRS new and thought about selling it this past year to get an older 205 or something a little smaller for better ski wake, but with the wakes out there I'm thinking I'll stick with what I have for another 20 years....for me smaller boat and to have less cash sitting there as sons enter college.

jraben8
01-26-2007, 03:03 PM
My thought as my '87 Prostar drove away was, "there goes a great boat... Now let's go get a better one..." And we did just that. My third garage bay was empty for 22 days...

Michael Epp
01-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I'm moving from an 2004 X-10 to a 2007 X-15. Sold the X-10 privately and am looking forward to training the new owner (who has never owned an inboard). My reasons were: greater comfort and safety on big lakes, which is where I do most of my boating; the X-10 has been discontinued; I accumulated 222 hrs over 3 years; my family is growing and the X-15 has considerably more room; I wanted more power so I went with the LY6 400 hp engine...I like to race other boats back to the marina, but also needed the extra power for a boat load of wakeboarders and full ballast. I trust my reasoning supports my decision...as my wife is beginning to question my sanity!