PDA

View Full Version : Need to tighten Throttle

rem_pss308
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I have a 93 205 with 351 gt-40. Here is my problem. While pulling, My fingers get fatigued from holding pressure against the throttle to maintain correct speed.
I removed the return spring on the linkage on teh carb. Now the throttle stay where it is put for the most part. But!!!!!!
Now it wont idle under 1000 rpm's.
My friend has a 2002 x-9 his throttle stays put. But it is fuel injected.
Anyone know if there is an adjustment on the throttle control box that can be tightened.
I have seen a device on skidim.com but am not sure if it will fix my problem.

Hopefully you all can give me an answer...

thanks

G-man
01-06-2005, 01:14 PM
That's the nature of inboard ski boat throttles of that era. The throttle return spring should be able to be removed completely but maybe your throttle cable has some slop in it. Have you tried another spring with less tension than the one on it? You can get them at the hardware store. Of course you could put on Perfect Pass and that would solve your problem.

rem_pss308
01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Yes George I have tried a lesser amount spring too. And I know the perfect pass would probably fix it. That is not in the option book yet.
Hope fully after this summer. With the spring off, and the engine cover lifted I can push down hard on the throttle and it will idle at a nice rpm, but after accelerating again it is back to 1000 rpm idle.

east tx skier
01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
rem, we have the same boat/engine. I have switched out the return spring to one that is less tense, and have not had any idle troubles (even before I installed perfect pass). Check the point on the port side of the carb where the throttle cable connects to it. Is there a gap? If there is, that may be your problem. I just had a gap open up on mine after getting my new intake manifold installed. It would start and rev up to 3,000 rpms before I could get the key shut off. My dealer removed part of the plate and made a direct connection to close the gap.

rem_pss308
01-07-2005, 09:23 AM
east tx skier: I am not sure where you are talking about a gap..
If I remember right I read you have your boat in storage. You wouldnt happen to have a pic of where the gap was.
I will look at mine this weekend to see if I can understand. Thanks for the idea.
Have you had a successful run with the new intake yet? I would like to boost my horsepower too. Is the intake all you changed?

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Rem:

If you follow the throttle cable where it passes/connects to the port side of the carb and attaches to that little plate, that's where the gap was. They removed part of the plate and made a more direct connection is the way I was made to understand it. Sorry I can't give you a more technical answer, but it's not really my area of expertise.

Haven't had a test run yet as temps dipped into the 30s the day after I got the boat back. It's supposed to hit 71 on Sunday, but I'll be out of town. The intake is the only thing I've changed to date.

wesgardner
01-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey rem,

skiDIM sells a thing that grips onto the throttle cable (a clamp basically) providing enough friction to prevent "throttle creep" - works great -I had to do this after a replaced the entire throttle assembly on my boat....

Good luck

Wes

rem_pss308
01-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Wesgardner: Where does this clamp mount? at the carb or close to the throttle. I have seen them on skidim, but wasnt sure if it would work. Does it just crimp the outside of the throttle cable to the cable itself and cause friction?

rem_pss308
01-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Here is a follow up.
I have fixed the problem. :D The throttle control cable is held onto the intake manifold by a flat peice of metal, with a clamp to squeeze the cable to the metal. I had slop in the linkage. I loosed the clamp, and moved the cable housing closer to the carb. this took out the slop, and now the engine idles fine when the shift lever is in neutral. I still dont have to have the throttle return spring on, so I can let go of the throttle after adjusting the throttle as needed.
Thanks for the input guys. As usual the discussion board has been a help.

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Glad it was an easy fix. That's exactly what happened to mine.

malchish
06-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I have a 93 205 with 351 gt-40. Here is my problem. While pulling, My fingers get fatigued from holding pressure against the throttle to maintain correct speed.
I removed the return spring on the linkage on teh carb. Now the throttle stay where it is put for the most part. But!!!!!!
Now it wont idle under 1000 rpm's.
My friend has a 2002 x-9 his throttle stays put. But it is fuel injected.
Anyone know if there is an adjustment on the throttle control box that can be tightened.
I have seen a device on skidim.com but am not sure if it will fix my problem.

Hopefully you all can give me an answer...

thanks
Gentlemen,
I have same problem with my 93 prostar 190. It is very interesting discussion, but I still have a general question:
This problem, looks to me, is an obvious hardware bug. Does Mastercraft have a solution for this, or just ignore it? Maybe it’s better to increase friction in the handle assembly? Removing the spring looks a little bit dangerous for me: if the cable gets broken, you will have full power suddenly (when you are docking or towing).
Truly yours

east tx skier
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't suggest removing the spring altogether. Just go for a less tense spring. As malchish suggests, with a broken cable, you want the spring. If it's hanging up without the spring, check your throttle cable alignment. If there's any real noticeable angle at the break point, it can bind up when you return to neutral, causing it to hang and idle high. A $36 clamp, in my situation, raised the back up high enough to even things out for me after my new intake, which was 1.5" higher, threw things out of kilter.

wesgardner
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Get the cable clamp...it can clamp anywhere and just adds friction...this is on my carbed boat, dunno about those hi-tech efi motors...

Wes