PDA

View Full Version : Removable tongue??

Rob May
01-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Does anyone have a removable tongue on their trailer? I am looking to put my boat in the garage. The boat will fit, but the trailer will not without cutting the front part off. Anyone had it done?

88 PS190
01-21-2007, 05:02 PM
we have one that has 4 bolts attaching it so you can remove 2 and swivel it

Sodar
01-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I installed one of these on my trailer to fit it in the garage...
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC00750.jpg

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 06:30 PM
I am this close to needing a break-away tongue,

dsoby
01-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I once had a trailer shop install a receiver hitch joint in the tounge of a boat trailer. It worked great.

JohnnyB
01-21-2007, 07:33 PM

Like your brake fluid resevoir cap...

JohnnyB
01-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Mine would not fit in my garage without the break-tongue.

My PS190 used to fit almost exactly like TMCNo1's

jimmer2880
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM

Wow... that is a beautiful tongue (never thought I'd say that to another dude:o )

I love the carpeted jack stand with the "Mastercraft" sticker on it so that it doesn't accidentally used on the tow vehicle (like that's a possiblilty).

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Like your brake fluid resevoir cap...

World's Largest MasterCraft can coozie!

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Mine would not fit in my garage without the break-tongue.

My PS190 used to fit almost exactly like TMCNo1's

So close to the freezer and washer/dryer, I have to take the platform off and put it in the boat during the winter with the OH door closed, when the weight is off the springs and tongue. In summer I just roll it forward into the garage a couple feet, when the OH door is open except when it's extremely hot.

CRAIGTHEMAN
01-21-2007, 08:33 PM
hey rob you can get a bolt on swing hitch from fulton for around 120 bucks .but than you also have to cut your toung apart....i just did mine this winter and it worked great...but i found now that i was better to weld it on on which i did...also you are going to have to take your brake line apart and put a piece of flexable brake hoes at the joint...i actully used a stainless steel brakeline that i pick up at a local speed shop....i will post pic for you later on so you can see what i did

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 09:14 PM
So close to the freezer and washer/dryer, I have to take the platform off and put it in the boat during the winter with the OH door closed, when the weight is off the springs and tongue. In summer I just roll it forward into the garage a couple feet, when the OH door is open except when it's extremely hot.

Yes it can get close,

CRAIGTHEMAN
01-21-2007, 09:19 PM
here is a pic of it. it looks crapie but that cuz i just welded it yesterday and havn't grindded it down yet and repainted it

CRAIGTHEMAN
01-21-2007, 09:21 PM
and another

CRAIGTHEMAN
01-21-2007, 09:30 PM
and another

Sodar
01-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Here is mine when it came out of the box...

Sodar
01-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Here it is after I welded it up...

T Scott
01-21-2007, 10:57 PM

Harold,
I didn't realize your boat was garage kept......8p

Tom

CRAIGTHEMAN
01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
hey sodar where did you get that swing hitch from

TMCNo1
01-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Harold,
I didn't realize your boat was garage kept......8p

Tom

:uglyhamme What made you think that?????????????? Always! The old girls deserves better, but..............................?
I keep the van outside in the garage in front of the boat!!!!!!!!!!! For some reason, the boat and van don't appreciate having a garage door seperating them, but they get over it!

Thanks for tolerating the pictures but I am doing some experimenting with the camera and posting pictures using different programs and photo download stuff. I've been looking forward to this part of computering since I got on here full time and now I'm doing it!

Sodar
01-22-2007, 09:28 AM
hey sodar where did you get that swing hitch from
I ordered it from Extreme Trailers (extremetrailers.com) the product is called a Pivit Hitch. The website is pivithitch.com, but it looks like they have the site down for some improvements. Let me tell you, this thing is really great. The install was so easy and the finished product was VERY clean. If you decide to call, ask for Dave Rogan and tell him I sent you... If you just tell him "the kid with the MasterCraft", he will know exactly who you are talking about... he helped me out a ton on my trailer refurb!

chudson
01-22-2007, 09:34 AM
here is a pic of it. it looks crapie but that cuz i just welded it yesterday and havn't grindded it down yet and repainted it

Good lookin weld job Craig!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Went to the Chicago last weekend to the Boat Show and saw alot of trailers that now come this way for the boats that will fit into a garage!!!

bbeach
01-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Tongue before Sandblasting and PowderCoating
http://www.thecellbreak.com/trailer/tongue.jpg

http://www.thecellbreak.com/trailer/swing_away_tongue_1.jpg
http://www.thecellbreak.com/trailer/swing_away_tongue_2.jpg
http://www.thecellbreak.com/trailer/swing_away_tongue_3.jpg

CRAIGTHEMAN
01-22-2007, 08:32 PM
thanks chundson...the funny thing is that was the first time i used my welder to weld something...i bought a new millermatic 180 1 week ago and i just put it on a setting and fired away..suprized me too.i though i would have to get used to it but i guess not....i used to have a lincoin welder before this...miller i way better!!!!! anyone planning to get a welder get a miller

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 11:49 PM
Now, by the title, I thought for sure this was going to be yet another thread started by milkmania using some video found on the internet...:rolleyes:

Rob May
01-24-2007, 11:34 PM
Wow, I've been away for a bit, and look at all these great posts! Great ideas all. Thanks for sharing.

tdaines@hotmail.com
02-05-2007, 08:10 PM
I have a removable tongue - it works pretty slick. The tongue on my trailer was 4" (OD) square. I cut it off right below the bow, and then got a piece of smaller square tubing (I can't remember the exact size, but it fit inside the 4" stuff pretty snug - something similar to the receiver hitch on your truck) I bolted that piece inside the original tongue. I drilled 4 holes through the tongue and the new piece of steel, and use 4 clevis pins to hold it together - it comes apart in 1 minute, and is very secure when trailering...

I don't have pics now, but I could probably get you some in the next week or so.

I'm sure a trailer shop in your area could rig something for you for a good price...

T

TOO-TALL
02-06-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a removable tongue - it works pretty slick. The tongue on my trailer was 4" (OD) square. I cut it off right below the bow, and then got a piece of smaller square tubing (I can't remember the exact size, but it fit inside the 4" stuff pretty snug - something similar to the receiver hitch on your truck) I bolted that piece inside the original tongue. I drilled 4 holes through the tongue and the new piece of steel, and use 4 clevis pins to hold it together - it comes apart in 1 minute, and is very secure when trailering...

I don't have pics now, but I could probably get you some in the next week or so.

I'm sure a trailer shop in your area could rig something for you for a good price...

T

My Dad did the same thing on his Renniell tri-hull it worked great and fit in the garage.

TX.X-30 fan
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Yes it can get close,

#1 Do you buff and polish your garage appliances ??? 8p 8p