PDA

View Full Version : BowFlex vs. Other Home Gyms.

sanjuan23
01-21-2007, 12:27 PM
I know there are a few of you TT's out there that own a Bowflex. I am Looking for some input pro's and con's etc. or anyother suggestions for home gym equipment. Thanks for any and all input. Cant pull the trigger on a purchase without checking my "thinktank" first. :D

JohnnyB
01-21-2007, 04:27 PM
Pro - quick changeover between exercises

Con - max of 210lbs resistance total

Has a different feel than free weights, my guess is that the weight over the range of motion is not consistent. However, it is a pretty good workout.

kycat2007
01-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I have a friend who has a bowflex and he said it is definitely different from gym machines. I think it is not as smooth as other machines but I think it will give you a workout and we all need those.

Chief
01-21-2007, 05:57 PM
With the bowflex you can get a good workout and hang tons of clothes from it.

Leroy
01-21-2007, 06:13 PM
I think ETS has the Bowflex.

3event
01-21-2007, 11:15 PM
We are much too busy now with the kids to allow regular trips to the gym, so we bought a Bowflex Sport. I love it. Lots of different exercises, although on this model I'm not a huge fan of the leg stuff.

Resistance on most exercises is pretty even (all machines are different any way). On just a select few it feels like all the pull is at the end so it's harder to pick a good weight. Good range of motion, and I don't get sick of it. You can add extra resistance to go over 210#, I don't know what the max is.

I think you do need to use discipline to move slowly and steadily with this type of resistance - but if you do it really cranks on you. If you just bang the reps out quick, you won't feel like it's doing as much for you. But any machine requires discpline.....

Considering we paid $700 for this model on sale at Sport Mart and I have used it for about 2 yrs, it is very much money well spent.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 10:02 AM
Mine has 310# on it. It's awesome. Obviously it has a different feel from weights, it has a slingshot feeling, but if its going to rip the bar out of your hands, chances are you are using too much weight. Is there anything specific you wanted to know...?

jcrosby150- I use the bowflex, and I use the ol' soloflex for hanging the clothes on;)

sanjuan23
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I am trying to decide between the Blaze system and the Ultimate System. Anybody have any info here. Thanks

CoFooter
01-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Sanjuan,

I just got a Bowflex Extreme after Christmas. $899 I think it was and it came with a free upgrade to 310 lbs. I really like it. I though it looked a little more sturdy that the Blaze as that is what I originally looked at. I really like the feeling of the bow resistance. Its a great workout coming from someone who used to use free weights. Its also more practical in a home environment imo as you don't have the weights cluttering things up, easier for the women and children, etc. I would recommend it.

wiltok
01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Why not just get a bench and dumbells? All the gyms in the world can't be wrong - and you don't see too many bowflexes at a gym. I personally went that route - but that is just me....

sanjuan23
01-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Safety sake for the little ones running around

east tx skier
01-22-2007, 03:25 PM
We've got the basic one. It definitely feels different than free weights, but it gives you a good workout and folds up. Been using it for two years now and am very happy with it.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Why not just get a bench and dumbells? All the gyms in the world can't be wrong - and you don't see too many bowflexes at a gym. I personally went that route - but that is just me....
I'd expect the gyms use them because they are cheap, and durable. And unless they get stolen, replacements are almost completely unnecessary. Vs. a rubber stick that bends....Commercially, I'd doubt you could get 10 years out of them.

In my house...if I stub my toe on those f'n things one more time, the garbage man is going to have one he!! of a load to pick up.:rolleyes: