PDA

View Full Version : Swim platform slide on ballast tank

dh_bennison
01-21-2007, 08:15 AM
I have just been looking on ebay at a 205 which is for sale (item no 230080049730) and it has a slide on ballast tank hung under the swim platform. There are some pics of it on the ad.

I have sent the seller a email asking where he got it form etc, but was wondering if anyone else had experience of using these and if they were any good etc.

I want to know how much will it hold, does it work well, does the shape of the tank alter the wake shape,if they are any good where can I get one, how much are they?

Thanks

Footin
01-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Every time I see one of the kind of ballast tanks I can't help but think how much stress they would put on the platform brackets.

dh_bennison
01-22-2007, 04:58 AM
I have just heard that someone in Texas makes them, apparently the hold 450lbs.

Does anybody know the company etc. What kind of stress to they put on the swim platform?

Cheers

jimmer2880
01-22-2007, 06:18 AM
I have just heard that someone in Texas makes them, apparently the hold 450lbs.

Does anybody know the company etc. What kind of stress to they put on the swim platform?

Cheers

I would run from this ASAP! Swim platforms were in no way designed for such weight.

Mag_Red
01-22-2007, 07:17 AM
I would run from this ASAP! Swim platforms were in no way designed for such weight.I don't know about that.........been plenty of times that I've had three people sitting/standing on the swim platform.

H20skeefreek
01-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I dunno, I might add some additional support, maybe beef it up with a larger backing plate or something. Elan boats/American skier puts something similar on thier Eagle Air (I don't even know if they are still in business). It is pretty impressive. I don't know the equation to figure out ow much it effects the wake, but the lever effect causes it to seem like MUCH more weight than 450. On the one i've ridden on, with about 300lbs in the back, you couldn't even get on plane w/o weight up front, it had much more effect than the same weight inside the boat.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a BRAND NEW 2005 (never been titled)vdrive Elan Eagle Air, I can make you a HECK of a deal on one. It's in the Knoxville, TN area.

BrianM
01-22-2007, 10:01 AM
I dunno, I might add some additional support, maybe beef it up with a larger backing plate or something. Elan boats/American skier puts something similar on thier Eagle Air (I don't even know if they are still in business). It is pretty impressive. I don't know the equation to figure out ow much it effects the wake, but the lever effect causes it to seem like MUCH more weight than 450. On the one i've ridden on, with about 300lbs in the back, you couldn't even get on plane w/o weight up front, it had much more effect than the same weight inside the boat.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a BRAND NEW 2005 (never been titled)vdrive Elan Eagle Air, I can make you a HECK of a deal on one. It's in the Knoxville, TN area.

I am pretty sure Elan is no more. Last I heard they were trying to partner with someone in Florida to build boats for them. They are definitely no longer building boats in Covington, LA. From what I hear Elan had the patent on the integrated swim platform ballast design. The one they made was really nice looking.

michael freeman
01-22-2007, 10:09 AM
If it sits below the swim platform you need to subtract weight for water displacement. Something in the order of 10 lbs per gal. There would also be a lifting force caused by the flow of water along the bottom of the weights. (I haven't seen the design so these are just factors of the top of my head)

My concern would be with the added stress of that weight being thrown up and down as you go over the water, as well as, over the road when you take it back home. Over time that hammering will increase wear and tear on those mounting points.

Jerseydave
01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Under the platform? Wouldn't it drag in the water most of the time?

Besides that, I wouldn't put that much weight on those platform brackets. Go for a ballast bag inside the boat instead, take out the back seat. Just my opinion.

BrianM
01-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Under the platform? Wouldn't it drag in the water most of the time?

No. Take a look at your boat when it is moving. The hull creates a lot of space between the platform ad the water when it is moving at wakeboard or skiing speeds.

H20skeefreek
01-22-2007, 11:02 AM
... as well as, over the road when you take it back home.

You pump it out before you drive home, just like you should with any ballast system.

Harvey
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a friend who has one on his supra and has had it for about 5-6 yrs. The tank has a screw cap on the back of it and one on the top of it. When the boat is sitting in the water you take the bottom and top caps off then once the tank fills you put the bottom cap on. The tank has a small part the sticks out past the platform but overall it is probably not more than 6-8 inches deep. It doesn't even hang below the brackets on his boat. It adds about 300-400 lbs on the platform which is really only two grown men. The benefit is nice though since the weight is so far back on the boat. It is equal to about 600-700 lbs in the back of the boat. The tank doesn't impeed the drivability of the boat. Once you are done boarding you take the cap off the bottom of the tank and drive back to the dock. The water will empty. You can throw the cap on quick or once out of the water the remaining water will drain and you can then cap it off.

My buddy likes his but to be completely honest I wouldn't put one on my boat. Its a nice idea but kind of ugly.

dh_bennison
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Does anybody know where I could get one? The main appeal for me is that I would not lose any space. However I am still not completly sold on the idea.