PDA

View Full Version : L18 vs LY6, issues? pros and cons?

Ole Miss Rebels
01-20-2007, 03:47 PM
I am preparing to purchase an 07 xstar. I want an L18 but have been told the LY6 with variable valve timing is the thing of the future and will perform very close to the L18. that the L18 is old technology. Who has good , usable info on this topic? I am really confused. thanks in advance.

PendO
01-20-2007, 03:49 PM
I am preparing to purchase an 07 xstar. I want an L18 but have been told the LY6 with variable valve timing is the thing of the future and will perform very close to the L18. that the L18 is old technology. Who has good , usable info on this topic? I am really confused. thanks in advance.

I will defer to MYMC (Mike) ... he equips his supermodel / pro wakeboarder wife (Meghan) with an X-star w/ the L-18 ... of course, I'm partial to the L-18 since we have one, but I digress ... send mike a pm and I bet he can set you straight:)

MYMC
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
I answered this before...there is no comparision between the two. Do the math 500+ ft/lbs times 1.52 vs 400 ft/fbs times 1.52 give you prop torque...the big block wins EVERY TIME! I KEEP REPEATING MYSELF! HOW MANY UNHAPPY L-18 OWNERS HAVE YOU SEEN POST ON HERE?

ecelis
01-22-2007, 12:03 PM
We have the MCX in our 2006. We have the extra Fly-High system in the boat, bringng it to 3000lbs ballast. We now have 200 hours on the boat and it is perfect in every way you can think off, but we regret not having the big block.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks again, Mike. my question is posed a little differently this time, however. For an amateur rider with only amateurs in the boat, which is the best engine for longevity and lack of issues and service? Is the new technology going to give me less problems and longer life especially considering the oil consumption issues that were inherrent in the L18? Are their any issues so far with the LY6? Price may force me to go this direction. Thanks for letting me trouble you for your valued information.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks again, Mike. my question is posed a little differently this time, however. For an amateur rider with only amateurs in the boat, which is the best engine for longevity and lack of issues and service? Is the new technology going to give me less problems and longer life especially considering the oil consumption issues that were inherrent in the L18? Are their any issues so far with the LY6? Price may force me to go this direction. Thanks for letting me trouble you for your valued information.

MYMC
01-22-2007, 12:37 PM
If you leave the 2007 factory prop on the boat for the L-18 (13.7x17) then I would imagine that oil comsumption as well as fuel consumtion will be an issue. However if you follow my reccomendation and ask that it be changed before delivery then this should not be an issue at all. Based on deliveries so far in 2007 I would buy the L18 if you can make it work in the budget...2nd choice would be the LY6.

PendO
01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
If you leave the 2007 factory prop on the boat for the L-18 (13.7x17) then I would imagine that oil comsumption as well as fuel consumtion will be an issue. However if you follow my reccomendation and ask that it be changed before delivery then this should not be an issue at all. Based on deliveries so far in 2007 I would buy the L18 if you can make it work in the budget...2nd choice would be the LY6.

so Mike, you like the L-18? :)

MYMC
01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
so Mike, you like the L-18? :)
Lemme think about it and get back to you:rolleyes:

Ole Miss Rebels
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM
which prop size, mfg. and cup would you reccommend? Thanks

prostar205
01-22-2007, 12:57 PM

Mike - Sorry this is alittle bit of a thread hike. I have an OJ XMP 13.7 x 17 on my '02 X30 with the L-18. I replaced the the SS OJ 14x18 that came withe the boat. I have not seen any excess oil consumption with either prop. Is this prop the most optimal for my setup? I am running about 1,800 lbs of ballast maximum (when all the sacs are full).

Again, I agree with you 100%. The big block L-18 is the ONLY why to go with these bigger boats.

MYMC
01-22-2007, 01:02 PM
ACME, not sure yet about the final size still testing for the "average" guy. Best bet will be 14x20 with .090 cup but I'll start testing again when the sun comes back.

MYMC
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Mike - Sorry this is alittle bit of a thread hike. I have an OJ XMP 13.7 x 17 on my '02 X30 with the L-18. I replaced the the SS OJ 14x18 that came withe the boat. I have not seen any excess oil consumption with either prop. Is this prop the most optimal for my setup? I am running about 1,800 lbs of ballast maximum (when all the sacs are full).

Again, I agree with you 100%. The big block L-18 is the ONLY why to go with these bigger boats.
Just keep an eye on it...that is a lot of RPM for an L-18 especially in an X30. Also some riders complain that the pull is strong when the boat has that kind of advantage over them...just some stuff to keep in mind. If it works don't change it.