PDA

View Full Version : New Silverado (ext. cab or crew cab) + 5.3 or 6L

floridamastercraft
01-20-2007, 09:31 AM
I test drove a new silverado yesterday very nice.... fits in my garage with my boat!!! and it pull the boat good too.... I had no problems backing off the street with it either since i have a small road in front of my house.....

I test drove a ext cab. std bed but I was looking at a short bed ext cab first, since its not as long and would fit in my garage better but since I had the ext cab std bed in my garage it fit fine so now I hvae this problem of ext cab std bed is the same size as the crew cab... ( 4k diffence <crew cab more>) most of the time it will just be my wife and I in the truck but you all that have had trucks what is nicer crew cab or ext. cab? since I know I can find something to do with that 4k !!!!!

next what engine? 5.3 L or 6.0 ??

one thing I didn't like was if you had the 5.3L you get drum brakes in the back... and if you want disc you have to have the 6.0L.....

anyone ear anything about the stabilitrak?

Jerseydave
01-20-2007, 09:53 AM
I would think the 5.3 would be plenty, unless your towing a big boat.
Better gas mileage, too.

Did you look into the Avalanche? Really nice, but more money I assume.

Without kids, you don't really need a crew cab. Just my $.02.

trickskier
01-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I have an 05 Suburban & Tahoe both with the 5.3L engine. I have 4.10 gears in the Suburban and 3.73 in the Tahoe. My only complaint with the 5.3L is that it downshifts into passing gear when using cruise control to maintain speed while pulling up an overpass.

The old 5.7L engines had more torque and did not go into passing gear on the same type of grades.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-20-2007, 10:10 AM
what is nicer crew cab or ext. cab? since I know I can find something to do with that 4k !!!!!

next what engine? 5.3 L or 6.0 ??

one thing I didn't like was if you had the 5.3L you get drum brakes in the back... and if you want disc you have to have the 6.0L.....

anyone ear anything about the stabilitrak?
My opinions are:

Get the CREW cab, you wont regret it. several reasons, they are SO much nicer with all that extra cab room. We have not had ONE customer that has been unhappy with a Crew cab, but we have numerous extended cab customers who wish they would have gotten the Crew instead, and then you lose your arse financially to upgrade and trade in. THe resale value is better on crew cabs cause they are more desireable. After you own it for a while, you wont regret buying it.

5.3L engine is all you will need for daily applications and occasional towing. The 6.0L really only makes sense if you are towing ALOT of weight, and then you should have a 3/4 ton anyway. Unless you are really hauling or towing ALOT of weight, you dont need a 3/4 ton, it just wastes gas. the 6.0L vortec max pkg is just a "show off" package. it just says "hey look at me, I got more HP and less gas mileage that you, and I want people to know".

There is a reason GM went back to drum brakes in the rear of their trucks....

You wont notice any difference in braking between the drum and disc. You wont mind having drum brakes in the rear when it comes time to do a brake job. Those discs are very expensive compared to drum.

bigmac
01-20-2007, 10:24 AM
I have an '06 Silverado with the 5.3 liter and 3.42 rear end. I was concerned about that gear ratio, but it's just not been a problem. I use the vehicle to haul my boats as well as our 7500 gvw horse trailer with two horses on boar and it works great. I put the thing in 3rd with tow-haul engaged.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I am not knocking it..But I do not ever think I will understand why someone would rather have a (smaller) ext. cab rather than the crew cab......

trickskier
01-20-2007, 11:06 AM
I put the thing in 3rd with tow-haul engaged.
I basically do the samething.........You want to talk about SUCKING down some gas at 70 MPH with a 4.10 rearend!!!

Ric
01-20-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey FLorida, mac is the only one I know with the 5.3/3.42:1 that is happy with it's towing abilities. I know a handful of people stating that it's a "dog" when towing.
FWIW, that is the feedback I am getting.
I drove an 05z71 crew(5.3) at a lot in late 04. salesman said to stomp it and I did! Iwas driving an 02 6.0 at the time and was not impressed with the 5.3 (upon test drive I didn't know of the gear ratio issue)
Are you saying that you can get the 6.0 in the crew cab shortened box? That would be cool!
I'd say without a doubt that you will appreciate the crew cab more than the ext cab in almost all situations... I don't know if I'd get used to the 5ft bed of the z71 crew.

I also saw an 07 at the dealer recently which had 5.3 /3.73:1 so everything may be back right with the world! I had that combination in a 99 z71 ext cab and was very happy with it... I don't know all the details for 07 though.. UMP can get some specs for us!

Ric
01-20-2007, 12:00 PM
anybody know if they still offer my beloved "1500HD" for 2007 in GMC or Chivvy?

TX.X-30 fan
01-20-2007, 12:40 PM
I am not knocking it..But I do not ever think I will understand why someone would rather have a (smaller) ext. cab rather than the crew cab......

I totally agree, have a hard time keeping my wife out of MY TRUCK. I would skip the gas engines though (love my duramax). :steering:

BrianM
01-20-2007, 01:01 PM
To anyone thinking of buying a new Silverado. GM just sent my a $1000 rebate certificate in the mail (current owner incentive) good for any new Silverado, Silverado Classic, Avalanche or medium duty truck. $500 on the Suburban, Tahoe and Envoy. This is in addition to any current rebates offered. Also only good for the person it is addressed to. Wish they would have sent it 9 months ago when I bought my AV. These were being mailed out in the midwest in the spring and apparently they are coming out again. At least in the south. So keep an eye out if you are thinking of a new GM.

bigmac
01-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Personally, I could see crew cab if one had kids, or a need to transport more than one passenger regularly, otherwise I'm baffled too. Like you, I'm not knocking it, but the concept of a crew cab makes no sense to me given the fact that it shortens the bed thereby impairing the very reason one gets a pickup truck in the first place. IMHO, one would be better off with full-size SUV instead of a crew cab pickup. Each to their own, of course. I just see absolutely no point to the extra seating unless you regularly need people-seating.

As to the 5.3 / 3.42. Absolutely not a dog IMHO, and that's compared to my previous vehicle which was a 6 liter Denali with 3.73. I do miss the 4-wheel steering, however.

01-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Bigmac, most people just dont really need that box space. They are wary of the extra short bed at first, but once they have it for a while, they are MUCH happier with the extra room inside the truck rather than in the bed. I just havent seen ONE customer who wishes they had their EXT cab back after owning a crew cab. I do have a significant number of customers wanting to go to a crew cab in the future, or wishing they had. That crew is more handy than you think. I realize its not for everyone, but most lifestyles just dont need the bigger bed. Even without kids. I dont have kids, and my next vehilce with be a crew cab 1500 truck with the extra short bed. It just fits my lifestyle, as it does most truck owners. Crew cab sales have dominated our truck sales since its introduction in the 1500 model, and it had already dominated our 2500 models too. :twocents:

bigmac
01-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Bigmac, most people just dont really need that box space. They are wary of the extra short bed at first, but once they have it for a while, they are MUCH happier with the extra room inside the truck rather than in the bed. I just havent seen ONE customer who wishes they had their EXT cab back after owning a crew cab. I do have a significant number of customers wanting to go to a crew cab in the future, or wishing they had. That crew is more handy than you think. I realize its not for everyone, but most lifestyles just dont need the bigger bed. Even without kids. I dont have kids, and my next vehilce with be a crew cab 1500 truck with the extra short bed. It just fits my lifestyle, as it does most truck owners. Crew cab sales have dominated our truck sales since its introduction in the 1500 model, and it had already dominated our 2500 models too. :twocents:I realize that crew cabs are all the rage but just because they're really popular doesn't make them work any better for what I need a vehicle for. I'm sure your customers love 'em. I just view it as pointless for my lifestyle :twocents: . My kids are out of the house, have cars/trucks of their own - I don't need more than one other seat in my vehicle. I gave this a lot of thought when I replaced my Denali last summer. I wanted to get another Denali but the crew-cab-only on the new ones was a deal-breaker for me. I can't envision what I would possibly need a crew cab for compared to an extended cab. OTOH, as it is I need the tailgate down for a dirt bike in the back. Quad, snowmobile, lumber, steel, furniture. I need the extra bed space FAR more than I need the extra cab space a crew cab would get me. More power to you and your customers and their cab choice. Doesn't affect my needs, though...

Did I mention :twocents: ?

cdstukey
01-20-2007, 08:26 PM
anybody know if they still offer my beloved "1500HD" for 2007 in GMC or Chivvy?

Doesn't look like it.:( They have a 1500 heavy duty towing package that gives you the 6.0 max/3:73 and some other tow related items, but no 8 lug axels or 6.5' bed like the old 1500HDs. Bummer, I like mine alot too.

Chief
01-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Crew Cab, the extra room is nice. Diesel all the way. I'm not too savvy in the Duramax dept, but the 7.3 Powerstroke has been very good to me. I'm sure the Duramax is good to go. Are they still using the alumimum heads on that engine? That is the only thing that scared me away from the Duramax a few years ago when I was in the market.

rspiecha
01-21-2007, 03:32 AM
360HP and 650 lb torque shouldn't scare you away. Tons of power and good mileage numbers. Duramax rules....

Rob

RickDV
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I am going to buck the trend here and vote for the extended cab instead of the crew cab.

The main reason is the truck bed. Floridamastercraft says his garage and driveway space is limited so he can either have an extended cab with standard box OR crew cab with short box. Since he is not planning extra passengers on a regular basis it does not make sense to sacrifice bed size for cab size.

A short box is going to limit the ability to haul as much stuff (I often have lumber, bricks, wood chips, gravel, dirt, leaf mulch, etc. etc.) If you are ever planning to purchase a 5th wheel you will seriously regret the short box.

I have an extended cab / standard box Silverado. If I had to choose between more cab space that I would not use very often or more box space for the things I do everyday I would go for the extra space in the bed without thinking twice.

Of course how you use plan to use your truck may be different that me. But consider all your uses of the truck and what you are giving up in order to get something else.

OhioProstar
01-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I own a '03 Extended Cab and in '04 they came out with the crew cab. Personally I would buy the four doors over the ext. cab the next time around. When in a parking lot with other cars around you have to juggle whatever you are putting in the back set and the doors. The same goes for people getting out of the back seat. The 3.73 is a must have and I have had no problems with the 5.3L. I just replaced my rear pads (53k miles) as they wore out faster than the front pads....kind of against logic unless they were under sized.

RickDV
01-21-2007, 04:19 PM
When in a parking lot with other cars around you have to juggle whatever you are putting in the back set and the doors. The same goes for people getting out of the back seat.

Keep in mind that on the '07 Silverado they changed the rear doors on the extended cab so they open 170 degrees (http://picasaweb.google.com/Sue.DeVries/DetroitAutoShow/photo#5020432168523613890). This will definitely help in parking lot juggle.

Footin
01-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I have been shopping for a gently used Avalanche, but if I do go for the Silverado it will be a crew cab just for the extra room.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 09:55 AM
one would be better off with full-size SUV instead of a crew cab pickup.
Unless you often haul anything. Then separating lives from load is more important.

I will have to add this to my notes to self list: Never again own 2 SUVs without also having a crew cab pickup truck.....:o

Ric
01-22-2007, 10:16 AM
ok so big mac and I, while different needs, both are somewhere outside GM's target market
they take away his extended cab in high end models and take away my standard bed in crew cab half ton models???????? what gives?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 10:19 AM
ok so big mac and I, while different needs, both are somewhere outside GM's target market
they take away his extended cab in high end models and take away my standard bed in crew cab half ton models???????? what gives?
I lost you.....You want a crew cab 1500 with an 8' bed...And they don't offer that..??:confused:

Ric
01-22-2007, 10:20 AM
nope, I want a crew cab 1500 with a 6foot bed and a 6liter
what I used to call the shortbed before they came out with the mallrunner bed

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 10:24 AM
nope, I want a crew cab 1500 with a 6foot bed and a 6liter
what I used to call the shortbed before they came out with the mallrunner bed
Location: __________hanging around here on the internet with you boobs___________
Nevermind..You're on your own....

Ric
01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Nevermind..You're on your own.... Well, to my dismay and according to cdstuckey in CO, there is no mas 1500HD crew cab... This makes mine a collectors item:rolleyes:
I will do some searching though. I can say when I went to trade my 99 z71 on an 02z71, there sat a 1500HD with a halo over it! no marketing whatsoever by GM in my area in late 01 regarding the 1500HD :o
so I goes to trade my 02 for an 05 and 4 out of 5 dealers would tell me these were no longer made and I had to go with a regular 2500 (notHD) crew cab which was reportedly near the same specs and weight as the 1500hd... the 5th salesman I spoke to, knew how to search a vehicle and wanted some coffee so he found mine on a lot and brought it in...

What I am saying is that MAYBE they are still offering 1500HD, but nobody knows about it? too weird if you ask me:cool:

Diesel
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I would wait a bit. The 08s are slated to get the 6 speed auto and possibly the 6.2L from the Escalade/Denali. Rumor has it the 5.3L might even be replaced. With 2 extra gears you will be able to run the 4.10 or 4.30 without sacrificing economy and it will pull like a freight train. The 07 trucks were rushed to the market and therefore GM had to cut out some planned impovements which will be implmented over time. Gm has some big changes planned in the next couple of years which could leave the 07s as the one year bastard child of the GMT900.

If you must buy something right now I would seriously look at the new HD. You can get the 6.0L and a 6 speed right now in a ECSB or CCSB. Plus you get heavier running gear, rear disc brakes, full 6.5 bed, and it looks like it might even cost less than the Max Tow 1500.

Ric
01-22-2007, 11:16 AM
what is the new HD
is it only available in 2500 and up?
do you have a link so I can be lazy?

Diesel
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
HD SILVERADO OR SIERRA

www.gmc.com

www.chevy.com

Yes 2500 and up which is exactly the same as your 1500HD.:)

bigmac
01-22-2007, 12:02 PM
What I am saying is that MAYBE they are still offering 1500HD, but nobody knows about it? too weird if you ask me:cool:In a GMC brochure than just came yesterday, they state that they will be coming out with HD versions for 2007, but only in 2500 and 3500 models.

Ric
01-22-2007, 12:35 PM
yep deisels links show 1500HD only available in "Classic" models for 07
:mad:

Ric
01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
This site at least shows the 6.0 as an option on the 2007 silverado (900)
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/features/

X-45
01-22-2007, 12:53 PM
FYI, I don't know if this is the norm, but the sales person at the ford dealership said that the 2008's trucks are due out in February. They are coming out with a twin turbo diesel.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 01:19 PM
FYI, I don't know if this is the norm, but the sales person at the ford dealership said that the 2008's trucks are due out in February. They are coming out with a twin turbo diesel.
I've heard some about a twin turbo...Tommcat could probably inform us if its rumor or not.

floridamastercraft
01-22-2007, 01:37 PM
diesel

where did you hear about the chances on the 08's ..... I probably won't be able to wait that long but I would like to know more about this new engines etc...

Diesel
01-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I've heard some about a twin turbo...Tommcat could probably inform us if its rumor or not.

It's true.........6.4L compound chargers :rolleyes:

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2837332&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Hope Ford has better luck with this one than the 6.0L. :mad:

Diesel
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
diesel

where did you hear about the chances on the 08's ..... I probably won't be able to wait that long but I would like to know more about this new engines etc...

The transmission is a for sure thing. The 4L60E 4 speed is a 15 year old transmission and needed to be upgraded but GM had too many units laying around and needed to put them in something until supply diminished. Plus they just did not have time to get it done. The 6L60E 6 speed is currently used in the Escalade/Denali line up and will be avalible for all 08 1/2 trucks. The HD 6L80E 6speed is currently avaliable in the 2500HD trucks behind the 6.0L.

You might want to take a look here for more info www.gminsidenews.com

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
the 6.0L. :mad:
That's why I didn't get another one....;) Well, that and I'm waiting to see what Ric buys....:rolleyes:

Diesel
01-22-2007, 04:16 PM
That's why I didn't get another one....;) Well, that and I'm waiting to see what Ric buys....:rolleyes:

I am a big big fan of light duty diesels but I am really starting to wonder if they are worth it anymore. They certainly are not cheaper to operate and anyone who argues other has either never owned one or is an idiot. With the ULSD and emission mandates I am not too sure what will happen. I know I will not be buying one anytime soon :(

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 04:29 PM
I am a big big fan of light duty diesels but I am really starting to wonder if they are worth it anymore. They certainly are not cheaper to operate and anyone who argues other has either never owned one or is an idiot. With the ULSD and emission mandates I am not too sure what will happen. I know I will not be buying one anytime soon :(
I will tell you this. I have 6 good friends of mine with 7.3 Excursions. NONE of which are going to give them up without being able to get into something comparible. And that brings to mind what that is....Nada...
And those of us that have or had 7.3/6.0 pickups, are now with gas jobs, or cummins.... I see a trend here....

Ric
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
That's why I didn't get another one....;) Well, that and I'm waiting to see what Ric buys....:rolleyes: at the very least, I'll have the nads to post a pic:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 04:31 PM
I'll have the nads
I am not so sure about that.......or the pic......

bigmac
01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
I will tell you this. I have 6 good friends of mine with 7.3 Excursions. NONE of which are going to give them up without being able to get into something comparible. And that brings to mind what that is....Nada...
And those of us that have or had 7.3/6.0 pickups, are now with gas jobs, or cummins.... I see a trend here....You seem as puzzled about the lack of diesel availability as I am about the popularity of crew cabs.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2007, 11:47 PM
You seem as puzzled about the lack of diesel availability as I am about the popularity of crew cabs.
On the flip side, not so long ago I went in with one guy to pick up his new extended cab Dodge Ram 4X4..and we left in a Dodge Ram Crew 4X4 Hemi powered. Funny how that test drive thing works.....:rolleyes:

bigmac
01-23-2007, 08:41 AM
On the flip side, not so long ago I went in with one guy to pick up his new extended cab Dodge Ram 4X4..and we left in a Dodge Ram Crew 4X4 Hemi powered. Funny how that test drive thing works.....:rolleyes:

For me, that only works with sports cars. The last time it resulted in an impulse-buy 350Z. My wife has forbidden test drives.

I did test drive the 06 Denali pickup. Nice, but in the end I couldn't get around all wasted space in the back seat and the memory of the lifetime14 mpg average of my previous Denali. I didn't consider diesel - I don't get it...but my buddy's wife drives a diesel Excursion. It gets 23 mpg and pulls like a mother. He's as distraught about the lack of a replacement vehicle as your buddies are.

01-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Hey Bigmac, no worries man! I wasnt trying to 'force" you into crew. I was just stating what I see here with our customers. I totally understand your viewpoint:) its all good man. Everyone has different needs and applications and thats why they make 3 different cab styles. Rock on my friend!:)

Ric
01-23-2007, 09:39 AM
All this speak of waste from BigMac... Doesn't he own a hummer?

bigmac
01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
All this speak of waste from BigMac... Doesn't he own a hummer?
:confused: uh..no..

...but I do have a big MasterCraft boat with a big inboard engine. That's pretty wasteful, I agree.

tones03
01-23-2007, 10:29 AM
For me, that only works with sports cars. The last time it resulted in an impulse-buy 350Z. My wife has forbidden test drives.

I did test drive the 06 Denali pickup. Nice, but in the end I couldn't get around all wasted space in the back seat and the memory of the lifetime14 mpg average of my previous Denali. I didn't consider diesel - I don't get it...but my buddy's wife drives a diesel Excursion. It gets 23 mpg and pulls like a mother. He's as distraught about the lack of a replacement vehicle as your buddies are.
There is a couple companies, I think one is in Illinois that will do a duramax conversion on a suburban, i know it isnt cheap, but hey what can you expect.

Ric
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
:confused: uh..no..

...but I do have a big MasterCraft boat with a big inboard engine. That's pretty wasteful, I agree.

. Yes and I love every minute of it

I could have sworn you posted a pic of your muddy H2 and a bunch of ladies or a story about a bunch of ladies getting it stuck?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes and I love every minute of it

I could have sworn you posted a pic of your muddy H2 and a bunch of ladies or a story about a bunch of ladies getting it stuck?
That was BigBarney.....FYI....

Ric
01-23-2007, 12:38 PM
That was BigBarney.....FYI.... ah HAH !

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM
ah HAH !
You have a memory...Not a good one but you have one....8p

Ric
01-23-2007, 12:40 PM
You have a memory...Not a good one but you have one....8p this internet crap isn't easy you know?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
this internet crap isn't easy you know?
Jus' yankin' yer' chain..... Relax and surf.....:D It cost nothin' but time... who you callin' boob anyway...

Ric
01-23-2007, 12:50 PM
hahah I keep this site open almost all day and flip to it, click new posts and comment on nothing with nothing
It's fun

X-45
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
...but my buddy's wife drives a diesel Excursion. It gets 23 mpg and pulls like a mother.

Is 23 mpg about what to expect for Crew Cab 2500HD with a 6.0L. :cool:

bigmac
01-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Is 23 mpg about what to expect for Crew Cab 2500HD with a 6.0L. :cool:

I don't know. Average mileage over 45,000 miles on my 2003 6.0 liter Denali with extended cab was 14 mpg. My guess is that 23 mpg for the 6 liter 2500 would be pretty optimistic under any circumstances. I don't think I ever saw mileage over 17 mpg, even on the highway with cruise control set.

Ric
01-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Is 23 mpg about what to expect for Crew Cab 2500HD with a 6.0L. :cool: I say you should expect it!

no way in hell you get it but expect it anyway!

PendO
01-23-2007, 05:25 PM
...but my buddy's wife drives a diesel Excursion. It gets 23 mpg and pulls like a mother. He's as distraught about the lack of a replacement vehicle as your buddies are.

what kind of mileage do they get when they drive back up the hill and into the wind:)