PDA

View Full Version : Question on Teak Sanding

454Barefoot
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
I am currently in the process of redoing my teak platfrom via Harolds lil manual. The only question I have is in the first sanding step you are supposed to use water while sanding, then in the following steps it doesnt say anything about using water. I am assuming no water due to water/oil don't usually mix I just want to make sure i am doing this correctly.
Thanks

east tx skier
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
I never use water during sanding, but I haven't read Harold's guide lately. If you do, let it dry completely before adding oil.

G-man
01-19-2007, 02:44 PM
454barefoot I'm a graduate of the Harold Page School of Teak, I almost failed the written test but I passed the practical test. The first sanding I did was dry with 150, 200,400 grit. I went wet on the finer papers. I did a minimum of two rounds of sanding and oiling with each different grit. One of the things that helps the most is to put the platform in the sun to bake between coats. This seems to let the teak absorb the oil and seal. I also hand rubbed the oil in not using a rag, brush or anything else to apply the oil. Rub till your hand dries out. Use only the starbright oil in the white bottle. You don't need Gold, Platnum or any other, the plain ole white bottle does the job. I hear if you show up at the National Reunion with good teak Harold will be holding graduation commencement.

shepherd
01-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Speaking of sanding, I decided to try the Harold method too. But I can't find any sandpaper finer than 400 grit in our worthless frickin local hardware stores. Where do you guys get that 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper? Does that stuff even exist or is Harold playing a big joke on us?

Maybe I'll just clean, brighten and apply oil like I always have...

Sodar
01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Speaking of sanding, I decided to try the Harold method too. But I can't find any sandpaper finer than 400 grit in our worthless frickin local hardware stores. Where do you guys get that 1000, 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper? Does that stuff even exist or is Harold playing a big joke on us?

Check out the local auto parts stores... they normally have it with their auto body supplies.

Mag_Red
01-19-2007, 05:22 PM

:eek3: That's just overkill! For god's sake it's just a swim platform man! I'm a paint contractor and we don't even use that for cabinet grade laquer work.

Sodar
01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
:eek3: That's just overkill! For god's sake it's just a swim platform man! I'm a paint contractor and we don't even use that for cabinet grade laquer work.

Times Two!!

PaulW
01-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree with Mag Red, I am a cabinet maker and we do not sand that fine on cabinetry, catalized lacqure. We sand with 320 before our final top coat. The only time I have ever gone that fine is when I did a black gloss table and did a hand rubed polished finish. We sand the raw wood in fine furniture to only 220 grit before we stain and finish. You guys are doing way to much work that you don't need to, is it because its cold out?

east tx skier
01-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I use steel wool on mine in between coats. It's cheap, and it's good enough for furniture. But as someone mentioned, if you want the fine sandpaper, it's off to the autoparts store with you.

shepherd
01-19-2007, 05:45 PM

Ah, the voice of reason! You know Mag, that's what I was thinking. The 400 grit stuff I found seemed pretty fine to me! But Harold is the expert so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and thought I'd try it - I'm just blindly following what the experts are saying... :o

Like I said, I'll probably just stick with the old method.

Mag_Red
01-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Ah, the voice of reason! You know Mag, that's what I was thinking. The 400 grit stuff I found seemed pretty fine to me! But Harold is the expert so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and thought I'd try it - I'm just blindly following what the experts are saying... :o

Like I said, I'll probably just stick with the old method.LOL I think Harold needs to get out and ski more:D

G-man
01-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Why???

Because it looks good and it's to cold to go ski. Can you say OCD??

SkiDog
01-19-2007, 08:02 PM
LOL I think Harold needs to get out and ski more:D

Are yopu kidding me? Harold Ski?!?!?!He don't even own a ski or ski's! And he damn sure don't do no footing!:D But he damn sure gots a fine lookin' boat!:) :D

TMCNo1
01-19-2007, 08:03 PM

I do it for the same reason a dog licks his own butt, because I can!
Mag, weren't you the one who rebuilt the inside of his houseboat? Why? Because you wanted to and you could, right! I rest my case.

SkiDog
01-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Mag, weren't you the one who rebuilt the inside of his houseboat? Why? Because you wanted to and you could, right! I rest my case.

Damn............. touchy, touchy, touchy, aren't we tonight #1? Take two beers and call me in the morning, and we'll see if you are feeling any better!:D I gotta whole roll of 2000 grit D.A. paper if you need some! Sounds to me like your sandpaper source is out at the moment!:D This thread is making you cranky. Also sounds to me like a call from either Crotty or Splatter is in order! It'll be alright pal.;)

TMCNo1
01-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Also sounds to me like a call from Splatter is in order! It'll be alright pal.;)

Now you do want me to trip, don't you!8p :rolleyes: :D

Leroy
01-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I remember usign 400 wet for the fine sanding for paint prep on autos years ago. That is very fine already!

Willski
01-19-2007, 09:00 PM
I rarely sand the platform, but the boat only sees sun when it is out. Lately we have been taking turns between about 3 or 4 boats, so the boat doesn't really seee alot of wear and tear! I sand about every few years, just when the teak grain seams raised. No wet sanding, but I think I use a 400 to avoid causing grooves. I would think if you go too smooth, then oil, you might just bust your a** when you step on it wet!!

east tx skier
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM

I think a little overkill is fine once per year. I get mine looking as pretty as my impatience will allow (not nearly as Dunkin Phyfish as Harold, but nice. Then, I go out on the lake, slap my ski down on it, and knock it around a bit before jumping off of it. It gets dirtied up a bit for the rest of the year until the following January.

Chief
01-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Don't put varnish on it. It's as slick as eel crap. Eh Trick?

TMCNo1
01-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Getting ready to go meet Monte72 in Charlotte,

TMCNo1
01-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Are yopu kidding me? Harold Ski?!?!?!He don't even own a ski or ski's!

Excuse me? Look up in the bow next time you see me!:D :D :D

shepherd
01-20-2007, 07:47 AM
BTW, have you guys seen the pics of TMCNo1's swim platform? It is BEAUTIFUL! Actually, when I first saw it I told myself that's just too pretty for my boat. Then when I realized I had some time on my hands I started looking for some 2000 grit sandpaper... :rolleyes:

shepherd
01-20-2007, 07:49 AM
And check out that prop and rudder! Harold, do you ever put that thing in the water??? (j/k, I saw those pics too :D )
:worthy:

SkiDog
01-20-2007, 11:50 AM
And check out that prop and rudder! Harold, do you ever put that thing in the water??? (j/k, I saw those pics too :D )

Harold, isn't it time to chrome those vents?:D

dapicatti
01-20-2007, 01:02 PM
I think I need to go work on my teak...........

TMCNo1
01-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Harold, isn't it time to chrome those vents?:D

I would, but I just had them powdercoated 16 years ago!:rolleyes: :D 8p

Mag_Red
01-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Mag, weren't you the one who rebuilt the inside of his houseboat? Why? Because you wanted to and you could, right! I rest my case.Nah...I rebuilt the interior of the houseboat because it looked like crap!:D

TOO-TALL
01-21-2007, 12:38 AM

Harold...what kind of wax do you use on the hull??.That thing looks like a mirror.

kpickett
01-21-2007, 12:56 AM
I use steel wool on mine in between coats. It's cheap, and it's good enough for furniture. But as someone mentioned, if you want the fine sandpaper, it's off to the autoparts store with you.

Doug,

I've been told by the teakguard guys to use bronze wool instead of steel wool. I guess the danger with steel wool is that you get little particles stuck in the wood and they can rust and stain the teak. The bronze wool works just the same. It's harder to find, though.

Kyle

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Harold...what kind of wax do you use on the hull??.That thing looks like a mirror.

Meguiars #16 paste or Meguiars Carnuba paste.

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Well, ask and ye shall receive,

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 04:07 PM
#2,;) ;) ;)

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 04:08 PM
#3, :) :) :)

TMCNo1
01-21-2007, 04:09 PM
#3,:eek: :eek: :eek: And it hasn't been refurbished since 2004, just waxed and furniture polish!

TRBenj
01-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Doug,

I've been told by the teakguard guys to use bronze wool instead of steel wool. I guess the danger with steel wool is that you get little particles stuck in the wood and they can rust and stain the teak. The bronze wool works just the same. It's harder to find, though.

Kyle

Ive heard the same thing about steel wool. I use brass brushes instead. You can get small ones at Home Depot- or a cheap brass grill brush (preferably clean) works too.

DemolitionMan
01-21-2007, 09:46 PM
You dont how good it looks until you see it in person. I think i went all the way up to 2000 grit on mine.

TMCNo1
01-22-2007, 07:05 AM
You dont how good it looks until you see it in person. I think i went all the way up to 2000 grit on mine.

Yep, 2000 wet, rinse, dry, tack, tack rag your hand and apply small amounts (just enough to make it wet and cover the sanding) of Starbrite Teak Oil Sealer/Preserver in the sun with your hand rubbing it on like lotion, let it bake, the next day you can sand and do it again.

BlackwaterMC
01-25-2007, 08:38 PM
does anyone have the Harold Manual???

TMCNo1
01-25-2007, 09:19 PM
does anyone have the Harold Manual???

I think this is what you may be looking for,
http://207.170.215.108/eMarketing/Campaign/TemplateBlankRun.aspx?PageId=81546a8d-fd78-4bea-9d59-ffa7f47788ec&OrgId=1&ConId=5919
And info in other Teak, Platform, threads in Appearance section in "Maintenance Tips and Refurbishing Topics", here,
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22