PDA

View Full Version : Lake Texoma

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 07:13 PM
What's the scoop on this place?

I just found out the AF has a facility there and the rates are really cheap for cabins and covered boat slips....

Is it a stumpy red mud lake?

Mikey
01-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I heard it is an excellent lake for any type of recreation only stumpy in certain fishing areas and clear in the main part. I am actully in the works of planning a long weekend trip to the MWR cabins for this summer. I hear the cabins are nice also. I think Sheppard AFB runs the facility.

BTW how do you like it over there in the lonestar state? I just passed through your area last weekend.

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I heard it is an excellent lake for any type of recreation only stumpy in certain fishing areas and clear in the main part. I am actully in the works of planning a long weekend trip to the MWR cabins for this summer. I hear the cabins are nice also. I think Sheppard AFB runs the facility.

BTW how do you like it over there in the lonestar state? I just passed through your area last weekend.

I saw the webpage for sheppard services, looks like they run a nice little operation out of there.

So far so good at the job site, just trying to brush up on reading aircraft modification drawings and learn what the job standards are here.

Mikey
01-18-2007, 07:57 PM
What exactly is it that you do there?

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 08:13 PM
What exactly is it that you do there?

My official duty title is Depot Modification Product Assurance Inspector, basically I negotiate hours to do things that aren't built into the contract, ensure things are getting done to Mil-specs, do follow up inspections on work that's been done and then when the planes are put back together and ready to fly I get to be a flight mechanic and go out and do the inflight testing.

It's a kick@ss job, I haven't had this much fun since I was a senior airman.

east tx skier
01-18-2007, 08:17 PM
So you all moved in, Farmer?

DanC
01-18-2007, 08:25 PM
My official duty title is Depot Modification Product Assurance Inspector, basically I negotiate hours to do things that aren't built into the contract, ensure things are getting done to Mil-specs, do follow up inspections on work that's been done and then when the planes are put back together and ready to fly I get to be a flight mechanic and go out and do the inflight testing.

Sweet.
I may be in the L3 plant on Feb 1. I'll PM ya.

BriEOD
01-18-2007, 08:30 PM
You retire or PCS Tim?

tex
01-18-2007, 08:36 PM
Farmer,

Where are you at?

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
You retire or PCS Tim?

Brian,

I PCSd, it was too good of an opportunity to pass up but it was a fast move. From notification to move in was about 80 days.

DanC

My extension is 3713 (I think) I work in PAA at the 645th, shoot me a pm and we'll hook up for lunch

Eastie,

Moved in as much as we can for now, still trying to find the right place to put stuff. We went from 1500 sq ft to 3600 sq ft so it's nice to be able to move around without running through a maze.

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Farmer,

Where are you at?

Working in Greenville, living in Royse

BriEOD
01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Where are you at Tim? Give me a shout some time on DSN. I'm on the worldwide.

tex
01-18-2007, 08:42 PM
Beers are way overdue!

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Where are you at Tim? Give me a shout some time on DSN. I'm on the worldwide.

I'll do that, I'm on the global but I think it still shows Barksdale instead of Majorsfield. Majors is the correct one.

Mikey
01-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I hope you dont mind the 20 questions but what is your actual AFSC? Im am growing real tired of my job and I have been seriously contemplating a cross train in the future.

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Beers are way overdue!

Roger that!

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I hope you dont mind the 20 questions but what is your actual AFSC? Im am growing real tired of my job and I have been seriously contemplating a cross train in the future.

2A5X1 Crew Chief

I'd stay with COMM or if you're looking for a change of scenery try recruiting, ALS Instructor, MTI/MTL (just don't pose for Playboy) or try some other Special Duty to get a break.

What are you tired of in your job? Are you tired of Barksdale or COMM?

Ever consider a PSC overseas? The new PCS policy will make it virtually impossible to move CONUS to CONUS but if you've been there from the start it might not be too dificult for you.

I'm not even sure if you could cross train into my career field, there for awhile they were only giving out 2 CJRs a month for the entire AFSC.

BriEOD
01-18-2007, 08:57 PM
What part of comm are you in? Their is a plethora of jobs you can apply for. Check out the Equal Plus. If you are just looking for a special duty: postal, classified courier, honor guard, attache, and the ones Tim has already listed. What is your rank? Just plug your rank into E.P. and it will spit out a bunch of special duties. I'm not sure where you are at career wise in regards to retraining. However, you could put in for OSI depending on how much time on station you have. Ever thought of pursuing a commission?

tex
01-18-2007, 09:03 PM
I'll get back with you asap about the espn ROGER over and out VECTOR over and under?

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
What part of comm are you in? Their is a plethora of jobs you can apply for. Check out the Equal Plus. If you are just looking for a special duty: postal, classified courier, honor guard, attache, and the ones Tim has already listed. What is your rank? Just plug your rank into E.P. and it will spit out a bunch of special duties. I'm not sure where you are at career wise in regards to retraining. However, you could put in for OSI. Ever thought of pursuing a commission?

why does OSI have the TOS year limit? I'd have volunteered for it but I was way past their age limit.....

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll get back with you asap about the espn ROGER over and out VECTOR over and under?

Come on Tex, Acronym up baby.

It saves time once you figure them out.

tex
01-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Hmmawtcda!

BriEOD
01-18-2007, 09:15 PM
why does OSI have the TOS year limit? I'd have volunteered for it but I was way past their age limit.....
They don't, but AFPC does. Once you re-train you HAVE to PCS (anonymity). If you don't have at least 12mo time on station we won't even talk to you.

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
They don't, but AFPC does. Once you re-train you HAVE to PCS (anonymity). If you don't have at least 12mo time on station we won't even talk to you.

My bad I didn't mean TOS, I meant, sh1t I don't know what I meant....less than 12 years active duty....what ever that is TAFMDS or something like that.

BriEOD
01-18-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah, they have all kind of funky rules Tim. It is probably a miracle I got picked up...especially as a zero.

Farmer Ted
01-18-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, they have all kind of funky rules Tim. It is probably a miracle I got picked up...especially as a zero.

I think you're being way to humble brotha!

Mikey
01-19-2007, 08:30 AM
2A5X1 Crew Chief

I'd stay with COMM or if you're looking for a change of scenery try recruiting, ALS Instructor, MTI/MTL (just don't pose for Playboy) or try some other Special Duty to get a break.

What are you tired of in your job? Are you tired of Barksdale or COMM?

Ever consider a PSC overseas? The new PCS policy will make it virtually impossible to move CONUS to CONUS but if you've been there from the start it might not be too dificult for you.

I'm not even sure if you could cross train into my career field, there for awhile they were only giving out 2 CJRs a month for the entire AFSC.

Im not tired of Barksdale. In fact I love it here and would like to stay as long as I can. I am just tired of my job. I did trenches and put cable in the ground. It was alright at first but Im just getting tired of it. Im sure there are jobs in COMM that are great but not mine, I am just tired of grunt work and busting my @$$ and getting no credit. COMM leadership are a whole different breed of people, you know the old saying "give all the blame, take all the credit" well that is exactly how things are in a Comm Sq.

I had thought about a PCS Overseas but my wife still has a year and a half of college left and she couldnt go with me so I am not trying to get orders until she is done.

I guess I wasnt aware that you are a crew chief. I thought you worked in the 8AF?

BTW I now know what you were talking about with the dont pose for playboy comment. I just read the article on Military.com. I guess I am gonna have to support a fellow airman and go buy that issue.:)

Mikey
01-19-2007, 08:40 AM
What part of comm are you in? Their is a plethora of jobs you can apply for. Check out the Equal Plus. If you are just looking for a special duty: postal, classified courier, honor guard, attache, and the ones Tim has already listed. What is your rank? Just plug your rank into E.P. and it will spit out a bunch of special duties. I'm not sure where you are at career wise in regards to retraining. However, you could put in for OSI depending on how much time on station you have. Ever thought of pursuing a commission?

I am in Cable Maint. Most of the stateside and some overseas jobs have been contracted out to civilian positions. I dont have a very good selection on where to go. I have been seriously thinking about OSI. My cousin has been an agent for about 12 years and has been trying to talk me into becoming an agent. He loves it and thinks that being the type of person that I am I would love it as well. I dont think that time on station would be a problem, I have been here since I came in about 6.5 years ago. I am a SSgt hopefully (T)Sgt after my WAPS test next week.:D I might look into some special duty assignments when my wife graduates college if I havnt cross trained yet. Maybe I do just need a change of scenery for a little while.:cool:

Alright Im done babbling. Back to the Lake Texoma thread. Sorry Farmer.:)