PDA

View Full Version : Elbow Tendonitis

CoFooter
01-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Anybody out there ever had this. I got a problem in the inside of my left elbow. I've been trying to rest it but every few days I tweak it one way or another and its going on two months now. I'm panicking because the season is coming up. Anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to get rid of this once and for all??? Help.

bigmac
01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Rest and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen etc). Maybe immobilization with a splint in conjunction with physical therapy if it's bad enough or goes on long enough. In an exteme situation, your doctor might want to consider injecting it with a local anesthetic and a steroid of some kind.

Leroy
01-18-2007, 11:57 AM
In my right arm I have pain exactly like tennis elbow that started after a ski outing and lasted all of last summer. It still hurts a little. They tend to be very slow to heal.

CoFooter
01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Rest and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (ibuprofen etc). Maybe immobilization with a splint in conjunction with physical therapy if it's bad enough or goes on long enough. In an exteme situation, your doctor might want to consider injecting it with a local anesthetic and a steroid of some kind.

Thanks, Doc. I'm thinking too I need to get serious about the "resting" part. Someone told me also that a substance called "Cissus" would also help speed up recovery. Any truth to that rumor?

Thanks again.

bigmac
01-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Someone told me also that a substance called "Cissus" would also help speed up recovery. Any truth to that rumor?You're asking the wrong guy. I'm strictly an allopath. I believe that cissus is just one of a long list of pointless homeopathic nostrums whose effectiveness relates almost entirely to its ability to bilk gullible and unsuspecting internet and health food store shoppers.

OTOH, it's unlikely that cissus will hurt you. If you can afford it, go for it - it won't hurt to try.

CoFooter
01-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the frank opinion, Bigmac. You're probably right about the Cissus.

kjohnson
01-18-2007, 03:24 PM
I ski right foot forward. I used to ski with my right palm up and left palm down. When i switched to right palm down, left palm up, no more tendonitis.

betsy&david Harrison
01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
Ice and Rest! This area heals very slowly. I have had both inner elbows injected with cortisone (3x each) and it didn't work. I finally had surgery last Dec and Jan. They are both excellent now. I was bandaged up for 10 days on each surg. and didn't need any PT to recover. Good luck with it. It is a very simple surg. if you decide to go that way. They take the tendon off the bone and clean it up. They also remove any build up on the bone and then reattach it. Perrrrfect!! :D Betsy

Rich_G
01-18-2007, 03:30 PM
here is a resource that helped me:

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/

I'm a tennis player, but tennis elbow or tendonitis is just an overuse injury. Rest is key, and not just from the main cause such as swinging a racquet, but rest as in not using a hammer, screwdriver, not using that arm as much as possible.

here is another device:
https://secure.cho-pat.com/products/product.php?product_type=2

This one is really different than the typical restriction device at the local pharmacy. It has a rigid piece on the outside of the arm that keeps the tendons from rubbing across the joint and getting inflamed. It works! They make another one for the knee that will keep you from getting shin splints.

betsy&david Harrison
01-18-2007, 03:35 PM
BTW...if the pain is on the outside of your elbow it is "Tennis" elbow and if it is on the inside, like you said, then it is "Golfers" elbow.

cwright
01-18-2007, 03:49 PM
One thing to watch out for is what is aggravating it. I had a sore elbow once and finally figured out that looping my arm through the handle while I went around the turn island was causing inflammation in my fore-arm. I quit doing that and went on ibuprofen. Full recovery was slow, and I continued to ski, just didn't hold the handle that way. Finally went away after a couple of months. If it really flares up, ice it for 20 minutes, twice a night before bed and stick with the ibuprofen which has to be taken regularly and for a stretch of time. Don't wait for it to "hurt", stay on the ibuprofen for a solid 10 days. Good luck.

CoFooter
01-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like some good feedback. Don't know if I'm ready for surgery yet, Betsy. I'll try resting it for the next month.

betsy&david Harrison
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I really hope the rest works for you. There are some PT things you can do for it too. Get a squeeze ball and use it 2x's a day to strengthen the muscles around it first.

Bruce
01-22-2007, 04:12 PM
You're asking the wrong guy. I'm strictly an allopath. I believe that cissus is just one of a long list of pointless homeopathic nostrums whose effectiveness relates almost entirely to its ability to bilk gullible and unsuspecting internet and health food store shoppers.

OTOH, it's unlikely that cissus will hurt you. If you can afford it, go for it - it won't hurt to try.
Just curious but do you have any thoughts on DMSO? I used it years ago with golfers elbow with good success. Got it from a vet. It was in a roll on bottle like Ban deod. Had to be careful to cleanse are etc. since it would go directly to bloodstream and carry the bad stuff with it. Understand that is a problem with WD40 as well.

bigmac
01-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Just curious but do you have any thoughts on DMSO? I used it years ago with golfers elbow with good success. Got it from a vet. It was in a roll on bottle like Ban deod. Had to be careful to cleanse are etc. since it would go directly to bloodstream and carry the bad stuff with it. Understand that is a problem with WD40 as well.My wife uses DMSO on her horses all the time. They look pretty healthy to me. (So far.....).