PDA

View Full Version : is this mc flying????????????

rodltg2
01-18-2007, 01:36 AM
what is going on here.....

T Scott
01-18-2007, 08:17 AM
It is hanging on davits. Look above the swim platform and you can see a spreader bar. I can't see the cable off the front lifting eye, but it has to be there!!

Kyle's_prostar205
01-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Yea if you look real close at the front lifting eye you can see the hook and the rest of the cable holding it up.

TMCNo1
01-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Yea if you look real close at the front lifting eye you can see the hook and the rest of the cable holding it up.

And a cable weight just above the lifting eye on the front cable hook.

east tx skier
01-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I didn't think you were supposed to do that sort of lifting with they eye, i.e., not temporary lifting.

TMCNo1
01-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I didn't think you were supposed to do that sort of lifting with they eye, i.e., not temporary lifting.

That is the way the majority of the skiboats were lifted till the now popular stringer supported bunk type lifts took over. Now most skiboats don't have the lifting eye installed on them anymore, because of the lack of room for them with the open bow configuration. Overton's and other marine stores still sell the lift systems, but they are on the way out!

BrianM
01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
I thought that that was the very rare 1997 Hoverstar 190. :cool:

pq2
01-18-2007, 11:53 AM
The cc we had before the mc was all the time lifted that way, we never had a trailer, and it never had any trouble.

Kyle's_prostar205
01-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Just curious...would't it be a little safer to use a sling and go through the lower hook on the bow and have the straps come up on the sides of the bow and hook to the winch that way? We do it this way when we unload boats off of the shipping trailer at the MC dealership.

G-man
01-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Some skiboats are built to be lifted and stored this way, most aren't built to handle this. I wouldn't do it with our wind it would get blown all over the place.

ski_king
01-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Don't all MasterCrafts fly?

east tx skier
01-18-2007, 01:21 PM
The way I've been made to understand it is that you can lift a CC that way, but the lifting eyes on the MC are meant only for temporary lifting, not long term storage.

I hear you on the wind. I also like the idea of a cradle because you can mount some guide pads on the side. However, using the rings does have the advantage of not having to worry about getting the boat straight on the cradle.

M-Funf
01-18-2007, 01:25 PM
My MC doesn't have lifting rings, but my other boat does. I wouldn't hesitate to use them to take the boat off the trailer to put it in the water at some marinas, but I wouldn't store it that way...

It seems to me that a point load would eventually cause the keel (where the eye mount extends to) to "creep" or bow, which is not so good...

pram
01-18-2007, 01:27 PM
I had planned on lifting my 91 with cranes here at work like that once I get it back out again to clean the bottom of it and give it a good waxing. The top lifting eye goes right to the bow eye with a 3/4" threaded rod I believe. I would assume that there is a plate in the fiberglass in bow to distribute the weight.

TMCNo1
01-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Just curious...would't it be a little safer to use a sling and go through the lower hook on the bow and have the straps come up on the sides of the bow and hook to the winch that way? We do it this way when we unload boats off of the shipping trailer at the MC dealership.

That type of lifting can and has caused stress cracks in the hull and deck gelcoat behind the rubrail, because the straps will pinch the structure together from the weight if a spreader bar is not used.

Kyle's_prostar205
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Ahh...that makes sense. Thanks!