PDA

View Full Version : Balcony or Covered Patio

tex
01-17-2007, 09:53 PM
We are looking at covering our patio. Any MC owning contractors out there? Which would be less expensive? Nothing fancy...A simple patio with shingled roof or a simple balcony with stairs. Anybody got ideas or pics of their own...I'm open to suggestions. Help me my MC Brothas and Sistas!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 11:55 PM
I do not know what you have pre-existing. So I am going to go out on a limb here and assume.
The patio would be concrete and/or stone and would have a wood framed roof say of cedar with a shingle roof and no sidewalls.
The "balcony" would be a wood "deck" more than likely of cedar or the like.

If either of these descriptions are close..the balcony would be cheaper...

Or course I'd have to ask..What weight would it have to hold, what sizes, is there a roof over the "balcony", why stairs, and how many..

You were pretty vague with the question.....:confused:

TMCNo1
01-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Our 10" x16" deck is off our back door, over our french doors that lead out onto the patio. It was always wet and damp out there except in the heat of the summer. When I had the deck rebuilt a few years back I had my contractor buddy put some additional slope on the deck going away from the house. I placed treated furring strips across the joists every 2' and trimmed it all out in vinyl and installed the non-perforated soffit vinyl to act as a liner under the deck to carry the water that ran thru the deck away from the house and to the outside edge of the deck and installed a piece of gutter and a downspout to prevent splash. Indoor/outdoor carpet, patio furniture, neon light, small stereo and it stays dry 24/7/365. The west side above a rock wall was framed and vinyl siding was installed to block the wind/rain and late evening hot sun in the summer. I built a 4' x 8' shingled roof under the eve, above the back door and trimmed it out with vinyl and now have a place to grill, no matter what the weather, plus protection for the back door from the elements. I'll get pics as soon as the weather clears up some.

TMCNo1
01-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Tex, here are the pictures I promised, hope they help,

tex
01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks #1
I mean #1 with the index finger and not the middle.

ski_king
01-18-2007, 10:58 PM
No1, whats that white suff on your deck? We don't evenn have that up north.?

TMCNo1
01-19-2007, 07:32 AM
No1, whats that white suff on your deck? We don't evenn have that up north.?

You don't really want me to go on a rant and start testifying!
Buuuuuuuuuuur!
Snow covered by freezing rain, then just a nasty mess! My ghetto cruiser is so dirty, I'll have run it into the lake before I can wash it!
And, it's coming again Sunday evening and night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Ok, your pictures confused me even more than your description..8p

I have to ask a question, Why is there a gutter UNDER the roof....:confused: Or is that normal in your area....:confused:

TMCNo1
01-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Ok, your pictures confused me even more than your description..8p

I have to ask a question, Why is there a gutter UNDER the roof....:confused: Or is that normal in your area....:confused:
The soffit vinyl is under the deck and catches the water that goes thru the decking boards and the gutter is at the discharge end of the vinyl and catches the water coming out of the vinyl, otherwise the water would pour out of the vinyl and land on the patio and splash on and in toward the carpet, furniture, etc. The concrete patio ends 1' beyond the gutter so any rainwater lands in the natural area and won't splash. I have a type carpet I got at HD on the deck that lets only water thru and prevents leaves and debris from going thru the cracks between the deck boards and clogging up the vinyl and gutter. The entire patio has been bone dry for 4 years now.
I saw a article in a magazine that had a commercially available gutter system that could be installed under a deck to waterproof a patio and when I investigated and got prices, it was $2100 installed. I did all you see for $336 myself in about 9 hours.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Ok, I get it now, I think...
That picture is you looking up at the bottom of a balcony from a patio down below.... The ceiling is lined with vinyl and a gap at the end to catch the water that goes into a gutter that travels down to the ground. So you stay dry.

So I gather there is no roof above the balcony...(I'm assuming)

TMCNo1
01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Ok, I get it now, I think...
That picture is you looking up at the bottom of a balcony from a patio down below.... The ceiling is lined with vinyl and a gap at the end to catch the water that goes into a gutter that travels down to the ground. So you stay dry.

So I gather there is no roof above the balcony...(I'm assuming)
No, deck is not covered except for a 4'x8' roof section (picture Deck1) over the back door and for the gas grill. The outside edge (opposite of house) of the deck has seats, backrest and railings.