PDA

View Full Version : Duvall 205, "97

Ramhouse
01-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Presenty own a '93 190. A friend is upgrading to an X15 and is willing to give it to me the 205 at a good deal. Who has one or knows of this 205. It has the Corvette LT in it. I will be riding an airchair in the next year, knee is shot(bone to bone). I do have a son who wakeboards and surfs and i think that this hull is the same as the orig. Xstra?, and present X2. Am i correct? It is a 1997 205 Duvall edition, DD. With 450 hrs. Even though he is a friend is there anything that i should be aware of with this boat? Any info appreciated.

PendO
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
great hull, love the LT1... how much can you get it for?

original X-star hull
same as 205V hull
then the X2 hull
now the X1 hull

Rich_G
01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
it is the classic 205 hull which later became the 205V, early X-Star, etc., so if you weight it right you can produce a great wake. I try to save every year of the annual Boat Review edition of WaterSki Magazine.

Here are some comments from the '97 review: "It features a high-gloss finish, plush upholstery and shapely lines inside and out. Throw in the wood-accented dash and a sleek windshield design and the Duvall 205 exudes a classy presence. New for '97: updated colors, graphics; engine cooling system."

What I get from that is that the Duvall is a limited-edition model with the engine upgrade and maybe a better grade of vinyl. It would probably look good with a New Dimension tower. Show us some pics.

C36
01-17-2007, 08:44 PM
You may also find some useful info in the "I am thinking about buying a ProStar 205. Can you tell me about the history of this boat?" thread which is located here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=112635&postcount=21).

Hope this helps.

C36
01-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Here a couple of links to Waterski Mag reviews:

ProStar 205 (direct drive) - performance review (http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12405&typeID=100&categoryID=101)

ProStar 205 (circa 1998)- general write-up (http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12158&typeID=103&categoryID=109)

Differences between Prostar 190 and ProStar 205 (and some changes to the 205 in 1997) (http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=12790&typeID=107&categoryID=113)

dh_bennison
01-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I have just bought a 96 205 Sammy Duvall I have only been out in it twice but its the best boat I have ever owned. Before I bought I did Compression test, drop test, water test. The boat had has only done 200 hrs and is mint.

You can not fault the LT1 engine

Ps Check the autolubing hubs are tight before you drive away, I lost one on the way home!!

River Rat
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I love my 98 sammy:D I run in salt water and flush after every outing and never had a problem

River Rat
01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Come on lets see some pictures of those boats

Kyle's_prostar205
01-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I love my 97' 205. I grew up in a 89' PS 190 and my mom owned a 2001Sammy 209. Out ouf all the boats, I love the wake on my 97' and there is enough space for all my friends. Once I added the tower it became the best all around boat that I could have asked for. I bought mine with 225 hours on it for $18,500.00 I think I got a steal!17423

Dell
01-18-2007, 02:06 PM
What are you going to do with the 1993? Have been looking for awhile.

Ramhouse
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
If all goes well with the buy, i don,t need two boats. I'll be selling my
'93.

Ramhouse
01-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Here is a pic of the one i'm looking to buy.

Rich_G
01-18-2007, 04:50 PM
I love that color scheme. Is that a Samson Tower? I like the built-in board racks. Very nice overall.

The only limitation with that boat would be in trying to get a pro-level boarding wake out of DD. You could weight it down with a Pro-X series Fat Seat in the back, and with the right prop, you would have no problem pushing that weight.

Sodar
01-18-2007, 04:54 PM
Here is a pic of the one i'm looking to buy.

Looks like she is in California Skiers parking lot! :) Pretty cool to see an MC on an Extreme... that is a definite plus!

Sodar
01-18-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow, it is really clean! Looks like it needs a stereo upgrade though.
http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/dealers/2502/digi19400370.jpg

http://media.channelblade.com/boat_graphics/dealers/2502/digi19400374.jpg

PendO
01-18-2007, 05:18 PM
that is a great looking boat ...

Kyle's_prostar205
01-18-2007, 05:51 PM
VERY nice boat....If I didn't have my own 97' 205 already I would consider it! Good Luck!!!

BrianM
01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I love my 97' 205. I grew up in a 89' PS 190 and my mom owned a 2001Sammy 209. Out ouf all the boats, I love the wake on my 97' and there is enough space for all my friends. Once I added the tower it became the best all around boat that I could have asked for. I bought mine with 225 hours on it for $18,500.00 I think I got a steal!17423

I like those colors. But I might be biased. :cool:

Kyle's_prostar205
01-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Yea it does look like we got good taste in colors! I like your boat and the shine yours has! I got ALOT of work to do to mine this spring it looks like! :)

C36
01-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Ramhouse:

Nice looking boat.

You also might want to check out the used boat buyers check list ETS pulled together. It is located here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11958&highlight=boat+check+list).

dh_bennison:

...Before I bought I did Compression test, drop test, water test...

I understand compression test and water test - but what is a "drop test"? :confused:

dh_bennison
01-19-2007, 07:20 AM
I have just cut and pasted this from a description I found of a drop test. Basically is just another test you can do for added peice of mind.

One way you can find a weak or dead cylinder is to momentarily disconnect each of your engine’s spark plug wires one at a time while the engine is running. When the plug wire is removed from the spark plug, there should be a big drop in idle speed and idle smoothness. When you pull a wire and there’s little or no change in idle speed or quality, you’ve found the bad cylinder.

It makes no difference whether you remove each plug wire from the spark plug or the distributor (or coil pack on distributorless ignition systems). The idea is to simply disconnect each cylinder for a moment to see if it makes any difference in the way the engine runs. The one that makes no difference is the problem cylinder.

CAUTION: Disconnecting spark plug wires while the engine is dangerous because you risk getting shocked. You can minimize this danger one of several ways. One is to wear rubber gloves and use insulated spark plug wire pliers to momentarily disconnect each plug wire. Another is to make sure no part of your body is touching or leaning against any metal surface on the vehicle (the fender, hood, grille, etc.). Or, you could turn the engine off, remove a plug wire, restart the engine, note any change in idle, then repeat for each of the remaining spark plugs

mess33
01-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Kyle, I have the same boat. I love it. My only beef was the storage. so I was considering a 214 this year. Initial reviews do not look good for that though. I do not have the tower. I am considering it. I keep my boat in a boat lift though. Did you consider the Samson tower?

Mess

Kyle's_prostar205
01-19-2007, 01:53 PM
I did but my goal was to try and stay as close to OEM as possible. The New Dimension to me was the best looking and followed all the lines and contours of my boat. I am actually looking to sell mine this year and buy one of the 2007 Tournament Team 197's at the end of the year here in Colorado. I agree there isnt alot of storage but we try and put as much stuff on the tower as possible and that illeviates a huge storage problem for us. I do not like the 214/X-14 for the fact that there is NO storage what so ever. I was looking at the X-14 last night at our boat show and the ballast and fuel tank take up all the space. I'm going to stay witht he 197 I think!

C36
01-19-2007, 03:38 PM
dh_bennison:

Thank you for the detailed description. :)

As soon as I started reading it, the first thing that came into my mind was the caution that followed. I still remember the look on my Dad's face ( :shocked: ) when he did a "drop test" on one of our outboards and accidentally became the human ground!

Ramhouse:

Might be best to have the mechanic do the drop test, if you are using one for a pre-purchase inspection.

[no thread jack intended]

I have just cut and pasted this from a description I found of a drop test. Basically is just another test you can do for added peice of mind.

One way you can find a weak or dead cylinder is to momentarily disconnect each of your engine’s spark plug wires one at a time while the engine is running. When the plug wire is removed from the spark plug, there should be a big drop in idle speed and idle smoothness. When you pull a wire and there’s little or no change in idle speed or quality, you’ve found the bad cylinder.

It makes no difference whether you remove each plug wire from the spark plug or the distributor (or coil pack on distributorless ignition systems). The idea is to simply disconnect each cylinder for a moment to see if it makes any difference in the way the engine runs. The one that makes no difference is the problem cylinder.

CAUTION: Disconnecting spark plug wires while the engine is dangerous because you risk getting shocked. You can minimize this danger one of several ways. One is to wear rubber gloves and use insulated spark plug wire pliers to momentarily disconnect each plug wire. Another is to make sure no part of your body is touching or leaning against any metal surface on the vehicle (the fender, hood, grille, etc.). Or, you could turn the engine off, remove a plug wire, restart the engine, note any change in idle, then repeat for each of the remaining spark plugs

dh_bennison
01-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I have seen a couple of you guys mention what towers you think look good on a 205.

I have just fitted a Loud Liquid T1 (medium) in Black. I gotta admit it looks the mutts nuts especially since I added the tower speakers.

You guys in the US are lucky to have so many towers to choose from. In the UK their are only 3 -4 types avalible unless you want to import your own.

Rich_G
01-20-2007, 06:37 PM
I gotta admit it looks the "mutts nuts" especially since I added the tower speakers.

dh - I will definitely add that expression to my vocabulary here in Texas. Just one thing..., does it mean good..., or bad?

dh_bennison
01-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Mutts nuts or dogs b*llocks (db's for short). They both mean good. Well Very good!!