PDA

View Full Version : Genius Questions??

pram
01-17-2007, 04:00 PM
How many of these can you get right?

Genius Question Number 1

A man walks up to you and says - "everything I say to you is a lie."
Is he telling you the truth or is he lying?

Genius Question Number 2

What state is surrounded by the most water?

Genius Question Number 3

In the NBA, how many men are on the basketball court for each team.?

Genius Question Number 4

If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

Genius Question Number 5

There is a town in Texas where 5% of all the people living there have unlisted phone numbers. If you selected 100 names at random from the town's phone directory, on average, how many of these people would have unlisted phone numbers?

1) He's lying. Even though he's lying when he says "everything" he says is a lie, some of the things he says can be a lie, and this is one of them.

-----
2) Hawaii. All of it is surrounded by water. Most people, amazingly enough, get this one wrong. They either say Maine, Florida, Alaska, or California.

-----
3) Five. If you said ten, don't feel bad as most people do. "Each team" is the key here.

-----
4) You would be in 2nd.

-----
5) None. You will not find unlisted phone numbers in a phone directory.

milkmania
01-17-2007, 04:03 PM
got 4 out of 5

didn't read #5 right

TMCNo1
01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
What state just missed getting nearly a dozen illegal imigrants because of the ice storm?

milkmania
01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
What state just missed getting nearly a dozen illegal imigrants because of the ice storm?
that one's easy

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/images/usa/north-carolina.jpg

besides, it was only 11......
the driver had to go back to get more8p

TMCNo1
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
The news article said the driver was among those killed! Well, I bet they'll come up with a substitute driver for the next load. "Se senyior, we gota more!"

JKTX21
01-17-2007, 04:29 PM
#5 isn't worded right. At least 2 TMC members got it wrong... that's proof enough.

Monte
01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Aw 4 out of 5 dang I feel smart.. #4 got me...

Mag_Red
01-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Got all of them, but I ain't no genius8p

Chief
01-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Three out of five. I'm dumb, Hawaii I was the FL bandwagon.

Sodar
01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
I agree that #5 is worded poorly. I got 5/5 but only wish I had a brain!!

Willski
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
4 outta 5. Telephone directory got me. Ain't even as close to genius as Mag_Red!

Harvey
01-17-2007, 06:51 PM
4 out of 5. The question about the runner assumes that you passed him in a positive direction. You could have passed him in a negative direction which would put you in third. The word passed doesn't always assume positive direction. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

milkmania
01-17-2007, 06:53 PM
The news article said the driver was among those killed! Well, I bet they'll come up with a substitute driver for the next load. "Se senyior, we gota more!"

oh.......

I thought we were talking about "ideal" conditions:rolleyes:

where the delivery is complete, and he's going back for another run

Ric
01-17-2007, 08:33 PM
elementary my dear watson

BriEOD
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
5/5............

Mensa here I come.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
5/5............

Mensa here I come.
Rock on Bri!

I got 4/5, the first one threw me for a loop.

milkmania
01-17-2007, 10:09 PM
well, Captain Gullible makes his appearance for the evening:rolleyes:

8p

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
well, Captain Gullible makes his appearance for the evening:rolleyes:

8p

YEEE HAW! Captain Gullible? thats a new one Milk!:) I like it!:cool:

RickDV
01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Genius Question Number 2
What state is surrounded by the most water?

2) Hawaii. All of it is surrounded by water. Most people, amazingly enough, get this one wrong. They either say Maine, Florida, Alaska, or California.

Went 5/5...but then I saw some of these before.

OK, as long we're splitting hairs over wording (after all, this is a word game, is it not?) I have to correct you on this one. The answer "Hawaii" is technically correct, but not for the reason you list.

The question asks what state is surrounded by "the most water." The Pacific Ocean is the largest body of water on earth and so Hawaii has the most water surrounding it. The focus is on the amount of water and not the percentage of coastline. ;)

playtherapy
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM
The last one threw me also!

Blair
01-18-2007, 01:28 AM
4/5 here

i over thought #1 and said he was telling the truth...

jimmer2880
01-18-2007, 07:37 AM
4 out of 5. The question about the runner assumes that you passed him in a positive direction. You could have passed him in a negative direction which would put you in third. The word passed doesn't always assume positive direction. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

I was thinking the same thing.

H20skeefreek
01-18-2007, 09:54 AM
I would have to say in a race situation, "passed" would always mean in a positive direction. If you "passed" him in a negative direction, he would be "passing" you.

This is incorrect. The question is "which state is surrounded by the most water?", the answer would be California. If the question was "which state is the most surrounded by water?", meaning percentage of coastline, then Hawaii would take the prize.

TRBenj
01-18-2007, 11:03 AM
5/5, but #2 and #4 are poorly worded.

Genius Question Number 4

If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

It is unclear if the person you passed was in 2nd place before or after you passed them.

Ric
01-18-2007, 11:38 AM
4 out of 5. The question about the runner assumes that you passed him in a positive direction. You could have passed him in a negative direction which would put you in third. The word passed doesn't always assume positive direction. That's my story and I am sticking to it. hahahha lets say you did pass him in a negative direction........ You'd be in 2nd, not third hahahha

captain planet
01-18-2007, 12:14 PM
[

This is incorrect. The question is "which state is surrounded by the most water?", the answer would be California. If the question was "which state is the most surrounded by water?", meaning percentage of coastline, then Hawaii would take the prize.
Actually, if you go purely by miles of coast in contact with water, Alaska beats them all. Each one of The Alleutian Islands is surrounded by water and when you add up all those miles of coastline, nothing else comes close.

Got 3/5 but only because of the water question.

TMCNo1
01-18-2007, 02:12 PM
hahahha lets say you did pass him in a negative direction........ You'd be in 2nd, not third hahahha

But who was first? Second is actually the First loser!

maristarman
01-18-2007, 02:20 PM
by definition Hawaii can be the only one "surrounded"

1. To extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle.
2. To enclose or confine on all sides so as to bar escape or outside communication.

Notice the "all sides" parameter. That excludes California, Florida, and Alaska.

captain planet
01-18-2007, 02:45 PM
by definition Hawaii can be the only one "surrounded"

1. To extend on all sides of simultaneously; encircle.
2. To enclose or confine on all sides so as to bar escape or outside communication.

Notice the "all sides" parameter. That excludes California, Florida, and Alaska.
THank you Steve "Webster".

Alaska is still the right answer. :D

Flatwaterfooter
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Three out of five. I'm dumb, Hawaii I was the FL bandwagon.

My first thought was Hawaii, but I thought that was to easy so I switched to CA.

Went 3 for 5. I will accept that at the end of the week.

maristarman
01-18-2007, 06:51 PM
THank you Steve "Webster".

:D

Steve? Steve who?

I thought Websters first name was Noah.

cbryan70
01-18-2007, 10:01 PM
for the water question are you talking water frontage becuase then it would def be michigan

captain planet
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Steve? Steve who?

I thought Websters first name was Noah.
woops, sorry. I get you and maristar210 confused sometimes, and now was one of those times.