PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge - 95' Mairstar

DLewis
08-03-2004, 10:47 AM
On the Mairstar - is the location of the gas gauge sending unit accessed from under the rear center seat? Removing the rear center seat, you can see what appears to be the sending unit attached with four screws. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks for any help.

JimN
08-03-2004, 10:56 AM
It should have 5 screws, but if it has a plug with a pink and a black wire going to it, is about 3/4" high and about 2-1/2" dia, that's the sender. If you replace it, make sure to align the screw holes since they aren't spaced evenly and use the new gasket that comes with the sender.

DLewis
08-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Your description decribes what I saw. However, I don't recall seeing a wire connecter/plug, but I do remember a pink and black wire.

Thanks for your help.

lakes Rick
08-03-2004, 08:49 PM
DLewis, there was no plug on my 94 Maristar when I replaced its sending unit.... Cut the wires, splice in, solder and use some heat shrink tube... Worked great and looks factory....

JimN
08-03-2004, 09:44 PM
Most of the time, the plug was about a foot away from the top of the sender. Look for it in the bundle of wires tie wrapped to the fuel line. It's usually a black soft plastic male/female plug. If it's just not there, do the solder/shrink tube splice.

Kell
08-04-2004, 01:35 AM
Photo of 99 Maristar fuel sending unit which you might find useful for identification; provided a 95 is similar. The sending unit is the black circular unit to the right of the fuel pump and has the black/pink wires Jimn was referring to.

JimN
08-04-2004, 10:08 AM
Kell-the fuel tank sender in your photo is the newer Centroid unit- the one in a '95 looks slightly different but still has the pink and black wires. Yours has a 3 wire to 2 wire adaptor on it and the pre-'99 and post-'99 boats don't. There should be a plug on the harness and sender, since any boat manufacturer wants to just install the tank, harness and everything else, then plug things together. If the connector is missing, someone else removed it.

The fuel pump in the photo has the filter on the bottom and there's a lot more surface area to the filter than the smaller cannister type. It wasn't originally available seperately, but is now. I'll add the part # in this post later.

DLewis
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the information - It is a little different then Kell's picture, but close.

I appreciate the information.