PDA

View Full Version : Flourescent light question

captain planet
01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
If you have light fixtures that have T-12 bulbs in them (1.5-inch dia.) can you replace them with T-8 bulbs (1-inch dia.)? The prongs on the ends of the bulbs are the same and they fit into the fixture, but will it hurt anything?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 01:41 PM
They shouldn't work.

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2007, 01:49 PM
If you have light fixtures that have T-12 bulbs in them (1.5-inch dia.) can you replace them with T-8 bulbs (1-inch dia.)? The prongs on the ends of the bulbs are the same and they fit into the fixture, but will it hurt anything?

It will cause: Global warming, New ice age, Earth to tilt on its axis, Republicans to regain control, Various STD's, HB to quit beer, UMP to come out of the closet, TMC to buy a moomba, Skidog to divorce and marry the peacock, Sodar to date ugly chicks, and Altfoot to buy an X-STAR :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(Oh yeah and Rod to really quit TT).

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 01:52 PM
Let me clarify....
Your T12 fixture should operate off a magnetic ballast
Your T8 bulb needs an electronic ballast.
There are some ballasts out there they say will live with either bulb, however the energy savings and light output suffer.

In your case, you may get lucky and get it to work but probably won't do what you want. And if you aren't lucky, it may burn the bulb out right away, blink, be very dim or nothing all together.

Why?

michael freeman
01-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Let me clarify....
There are some ballasts out there they say will live with either bulb, however the energy savings and light output suffer.

In your case, you may get lucky and get it to work but probably won't do what you want. And if you aren't lucky, it may burn the bulb out right away, blink, be very dim or nothing all together.

Why?

Dogs and cats living together.... total chaos.

Sodar
01-17-2007, 01:59 PM
It will cause: Global warming, New ice age, Earth to tilt on its axis, Republicans to regain control, Various STD's, HB to quit beer, UMP to come out of the closet, TMC to buy a moomba, Skidog to divorce and marry the peacock, Sodar to date ugly chicks, and Altfoot to buy an X-STAR :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Love it! We need to fit Rod into this quote as well!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 02:04 PM
If this wasn't enough..If I recall this is the light guy....

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=3688

captain planet
01-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Let me clarify....

Why?
Thank you for the serious response (although the others were amusing). My boss bought a box of T-8 instead of T-12 and was wondering if they will work. They fit but didn't turn on so I don't know if the fixture is bad or what. The old bulbs don't look bad. Oh well, I will tell him to take them back. I knew someone on here would know about this if I asked.

Thanks,
Captain Planet

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Thank you for the serious response (although the others were amusing). My boss bought a box of T-8 instead of T-12 and was wondering if they will work. They fit but didn't turn on so I don't know if the fixture is bad or what. The old bulbs don't look bad. Oh well, I will tell him to take them back. I knew someone on here would know about this if I asked.

Thanks,
Captain Planet

Sorry I'm just a little immature for my age(or any age for that matter). :wavey:

TMCNo1
01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
It will cause: Global warming, New ice age, Earth to tilt on its axis, Republicans to regain control, Various STD's, HB to quit beer, UMP to come out of the closet, TMC to buy a moomba, Skidog to divorce and marry the peacock, Sodar to date ugly chicks, and Altfoot to buy an X-STAR

(Oh yeah and Rod to really quit TT).

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme That made my day!!!!!!!!