PDA

View Full Version : Efi

rcnjson
01-16-2007, 05:47 PM
I am dangerously close to starting my winter project. I am one fuel pump away from starting the carb to EFI conversion. I'm going to use an inline pump and put the pickup down at the bottom of my tank. I don't regard that as a huge deal. I'm going to run a walbro or vortech style inline pump for a couple reasons. It will support the power level I'm looking for, it is designed as a extended service runner, and they are affordable. I have an aeromotive system in my car but that requires a $270 computer to run the pump on the street (lower than race RPM's and pressures). You can run the pump without the controller but you are on borrowed time. Other options are SX and Magnafuel both big dollars.

I'm going stand alone EFI on this project and it is a system that I would bet nobody has seen. Not F.A.S.T., DFI, SDS, AEM, Haltech, Big Stuff, or Megasquirt. It is from airsensors. It is a mass air system that controls only fuel, timing is independant of this system, it only needs the RPM from the dizzy. I am pretty excited to get started. I have been at this for awhile, I collected parts from old Ford trucks and mustangs and pieced a system together, then this system came along. I got into this system for less than what I paid for and EFI manifold for a 351, which, consequently will be listed on ebay. I'll keep you updated on the project, although it shouldn't take long.

I can tell that JimN is already concerned about this project (specifically the ecm) but we can work through that. Good news, I live in sunny West Bend Wisconsin, that is pretty close. When we're all done, you should come up and go for a ride.
k

JimN
01-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Actually, the pump control is more of a question for me. What happens if the fuel line is cut and the motor dies? Will the pump shut off? If the ECM has an output lead or pin that sends 12V or ground only when the motor runs, I would use that to latch the fuel pump relay.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I look forward to SEEING it, and reading your step by step...;)

JimN
01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
How about setting up a camera so we can watch the whole process?

barefoot
01-16-2007, 09:58 PM
Dude, if the only thing that's holding you back is a fuel pump, just say the word ;) I'll buy it for you so you can get the job done :D

east tx skier
01-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Shoot some PMs to Bbutler2001. He is doing an efi conversion as well.

rcnjson
01-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Actually, the pump control is more of a question for me. What happens if the fuel line is cut and the motor dies? Will the pump shut off? If the ECM has an output lead or pin that sends 12V or ground only when the motor runs, I would use that to latch the fuel pump relay.

Good question. Had not considered it. I have a fuel pressure safety switch for my nitrous system that will cut the sauce if fuel pressure falls too low, I suppose I could uses a system like that as an interlock for the fuel pump. That would be an easy solution.
k

rcnjson
01-17-2007, 03:36 AM
Dude, if the only thing that's holding you back is a fuel pump, just say the word ;) I'll buy it for you so you can get the job done :D

no biggy, the pump isn't holding up the process at all. I can pretty much put the whole works together without the pump and plug that in when needed.
k

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 08:37 AM
How about setting up a camera so we can watch the whole process?
Live webcam......Now we're talkin'..;) ..Someone tivo it for me so i can watch the outtakes later...:rolleyes:

barefoot
01-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Wait...this must mean that Monty built his 18 car, tripple deep, heated garage!

rcnjson
01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Wait...this must mean that Monty built his 18 car, tripple deep, heated garage!
yep... there's heat, but it ain't that big.
k

rcnjson
01-17-2007, 09:50 AM
I'll be able to document with photos. That shouldn't be a big deal. I am taking care of some other house cleaning items while I do the conversion. I'm going to do a timing chain first and foremost. I should have done it last year when I had the top off the motor, but I wasn't thinking. So that will be included in this wrench fest. We'll see what else there is. I know Monte has a P600B that he has been trying to bolt on my boat. Who knows:D
k