PDA

View Full Version : Modifying my Chimney

pram
01-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I am thinking of modifying my chimney in my TV room in the basement to allow for putting the TV in it. I have attached a drawing that I did showing the basic layout that I would like. I was thinking of using a 5"x5"x1/2" angle iron to support the remaining blocks and a 3"x3"x3/8" HSS for the corner post with a 1" diameter thread on the bottom to allow for take up. As well as a 1/2" plate on the bottom for load distribution on the concrete floor. I have no fireplace on the bottom only the chimney blocks so it is a waste. I have included a pdf of the drawing.

Any comments, suggestions, critisms

Mag_Red
01-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I am thinking of modifying my chimney in my TV room in the basement to allow for putting the TV in it. I have attached a drawing that I did showing the basic layout that I would like. I was thinking of using a 5"x5"x1/2" angle iron to support the remaining blocks and a 3"x3"x3/8" HSS for the corner post with a 1" diameter thread on the bottom to allow for take up. As well as a 1/2" plate on the bottom for load distribution on the concrete floor. I have no fireplace on the bottom only the chimney blocks so it is a waste. I have included a pdf of the drawing.

Any comments, suggestions, critismsThat's one hell of a drawing! IMHO I would consult an architect or engineer to make sure your idea will support the weight. You don't have any other place to locate the TV??? A Flat screen would solve your problem and would probably be less of a pain in the *** in the long run. :twocents:

ski_king
01-16-2007, 04:20 PM
How about a picture of what it looks like now?

Remember, unless your chimney is capped, you will get some rain down it from time to time. Last time I checked TV's don't like rain.

I think it would be cheaper to get the flat screen like Mag suggested.

pram
01-16-2007, 05:15 PM
It is just a cinder block chimney there now with nothing in it (ie. no fireplace downstairs). I have the TV already set up in the room and I thought that it would be good to sink it into the chimney as there is nothing inside of it now. I have a gas fireplace up stairs now so I don't think that I will have a water problem. It was just a thought to get about 2ft of floor space back in my TV room.

planoboy
01-16-2007, 06:48 PM
uh, chimney above needs support below?

Kevin 89MC
01-17-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm one to give something like this a shot as well, but in this case I would have a structural engineer look at it. You're dealing with some pretty significant loads, especially with taking out 2 perpendicular walls. If it were me (and I'm a civil engineer), I'd take it to someone qualified to run the calcs. I'd think about stepping up to a couple of beams in lieu of the angles. You'll also want to pay attention to the connection point of the post & angles or beams, to avoid any shear problems. It should be pretty inexpensive for someone to run the calcs, the key is finding someone who will do it.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Kevin