PDA

View Full Version : Fender Benders

Jesus_Freak
01-16-2007, 12:02 PM
So I am backing out of a parking spot yesterday in my minivan. I have the bike rack on the back, and my loud boys in the back seat. I am in a hurry, as usual. Then, I hear the sound....the sound of my wallet quickly deflating. Yes, I nailed an innocent, parked car :o . The bikes and both vehicles took a beating.

Upon searching, I did not see another thread like this; Please share your moments of immense intelligence here.

milkmania
01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
So I am backing out of a parking spot yesterday in my minivan. I have the bike rack on the back, and my loud boys in the back seat. I am in a hurry, as usual. Then, I hear the sound....the sound of my wallet quickly deflating. Yes, I nailed an innocent, parked car :o . The bikes and both vehicles took a beating.

Upon searching, I did not see another thread like this; Please share your moments of immense intelligence here.

took an entire fiberglass running board off of my wife's suburban once.....
backing, turn the wheel, and cruuuuuuuuuuunch!:o

Ric
01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
My experience with parking lot bender repairs is that the body shop blames the insurance and the insurance blames the body shop and you will not be happy with the results.... as far as the parked car, your insurance will pay for that and you don't have to be involved in the quality of that repair.

allstate told us AFTER the shop had done a shiftty repair on our 80k mi. mazda, that we chose the shop and if the quality was substandard, we need to take it up with the shop.

the shop said allstate forced them to re-use busted up parts and repair rather than replace some cosmetic parts.. they never told me til it was "ready" I balked, it took forever, finally accepted less than what we had before...

all this with our own ins company footing the repairs since some broad with false credentials rammed our parked car in a grocery store lot. no license?, funny insurance forms?, you look stoned? it's ok says mr powleece, it's private property, so no ticket will be issued.... "you are all free to go home now" thank you barney :rolleyes:

RANT OVER

Maristar210
01-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Not me but my 68 year old Mother went out and bought a Jaguar VandenPlas XJ a few months ago. ($80k+)

She picked it up at the local dealer and drove it home. Parks it in her garage and closes the garage door. She goes inside and comes out three hours later to put some trash in the trash can and notices the garage door is up. She does not remember she already closed it once so she hits the button again and walks inside.

She comes out the next morning and the garage door is up. At this point she walks to the rear of the vehicle to see the crease in the bumber where the garage door hit her brand new Jag. It had 5 miles on it when it went to the body shop.

A week later she got it back and the very next day she backed into a mailbox.:rolleyes:

True Story.

Steve

Ric
01-16-2007, 01:36 PM
That reminds me... I need to get a contractor over to mom's house to fix her garage into one single door rather than 2 with a column.... For roughly the same reasons mari mentioned

88 PS190
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
we own a car dealership so often we just get our dealership discounts on work/labor and don't need the insurance on it.

Of course most of the time its one of my family members backing out of our driveway that causes the damage. examples.

Mom, backs into poll in old VW vanagon.
Olderbro, backs into neighbors car in od VW vanagon.
Dad, backs into our volvo with the suburban.
Olderbro, backs into steel (and by this I mean a 6" diameter pipe welded onto the frame in the front) bumpered suv in the vanagon.

Younger bro driving poorly running old truck (manual and he isn't good at it) gives the truck some gas with the wheel cocked to keep it running and hits another truck of ours... Good stuff right?

Anyway, between me doing some general straightening of the panels, then getting them smoothed and sprayed locally its not a huge deal to repair this sort of thing

Just make sure you file the paperwork, so you don't get charges.

milkmania
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
That reminds me... I need to get a contractor over to mom's house to fix her garage into one single door rather than 2 with a column.... For roughly the same reasons mari mentioned
that reminds me.....

when I was a kid, pulled Grandma's car into the garage... (parking it)

she came out hollaring that I had missed the wall by a c*nt hair:rolleyes:

JKTX21
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Everything I have hit has been stationary...

When I was 16-17, I proceeded to back directly into my mom's brand new accord in my z71... that was fun.

And most recently, I was on my way to the river for a day of fun and sun last month... I parked in front of a parking lot pole at the gas station. I go in to buy my boating accoutrements, and run directly into the pole upon exiting the parking lot and rip out my transmission cooler, not fun :noface:

jenglin
01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Where I grew up it is very hilly. When it snows the city pushes the snow in the middle of the road with a big pile at the end of a street or a bottom of a hill. They later come by with a big snow blower and blows it in the back of truck so they can haul it away. I was on my way to school going down one of the biggest hills and I noticed a parked car sitting in a driveway starting to back up. I move over into the other lane keeping my eye on her not wanting her to back into me if see didn't see me. So as am watching her not paying attention to where I was going and as I look out my windshield all I saw was white. I hit a 12 foot high snow pile and my car came to a stop balancing on a 4 foot median of snow. All four wheels where off the ground spinning. A couple of people that saw it and helped me push my car off the median of snow and they said it look like a bomb went off in the snow pile. They laughed the entire time. All I did was bust up my grill. $150.00 later I was good to go.

Jesus_Freak
01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Come on peeps! Only 3 of you have fessed up to doing something stupid in an automobile. Thank you milk, JKTX21, and jenglin.

The other 4000 of you have done what?

Sodar
01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Come on peeps! Only 3 of you have fessed up to doing something stupid in an automobile. Thank you milk, JKTX21, and jenglin.

The other 4000 of you have done what?

In October, I backed out of a double deep spot at work. The guy next to me parked crooked, so as I was backing out I was watching my right side mirror to make sure I did not hit his car. Problem was that I had an I-beam pole on my left side. I hit it just right on my rear quarter panel that it crushed the rear quarter panel, rear glass and rear liftgate on my Tahoe. Turned out to be a $5700 repair job for 20 seconds of stupidity! I attached a diagram of my blunder!!

This was my first parking mistake and HOPEFULLY my last!!

jimmer2880
01-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Was in a hurry, backing out of my folks driveway with a 10' trailer attached. Forgot about the trailer & jack'd it through (yes, I said through) the quarter panel of my truck. 2 weeks after I got it back from getting fixed, my dad did the same thing. Quite embarrasing since we have both been driving with trailers since we were 9.

milkmania
01-17-2007, 09:04 PM
In October, I backed out of a double deep spot at work. The guy next to me parked crooked, so as I was backing out I was watching my right side mirror to make sure I did not hit his car. Problem was that I had an I-beam pole on my left side. I hit it just right on my rear quarter panel that it crushed the rear quarter panel, rear glass and rear liftgate on my Tahoe. Turned out to be a $5700 repair job for 20 seconds of stupidity! I attached a diagram of my blunder!!

my running board mishap was on the driver's side..... looking over my right shoulder backing out of a buddy's driveway.... hit a street sign and I backed toward the right bringing the front of the truck to the left

roddydog
01-17-2007, 10:03 PM
the shop said allstate forced them to re-use busted up parts and repair rather than replace some cosmetic parts.. they never told me til it was "ready" I balked, it took forever, finally accepted less than what we had before...

:rolleyes:

RANT OVER
As far as I know and Ins Co. will never FORCE anything. They really want it done well for cheap.

Had a back door kicked in once and the repair looked like a couple of Drunk, Blind guys did it!!! (Nothing against the blind or drunk.....or the blinddrunk).
I called the Ins co. to ask if I could have done it myself and they said YEAH!!! All you had to do was put in an estimate and if it was within their limits (read LOWEST) I could have done it.

Same with cars. 2 estimates $3500 apart????? WHAT DUH *&$#.

Shop it around:mad: :mad: :mad:

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Was in a hurry, backing out of my folks driveway with a 10' trailer attached. Forgot about the trailer & jack'd it through (yes, I said through) the quarter panel of my truck. 2 weeks after I got it back from getting fixed, my dad did the same thing. Quite embarrasing since we have both been driving with trailers since we were 9.

Had the trailer with both wave runners hooked up. Headed for the lake for a day of bbq with friends and customers. We were running late, trying to get the boys loaded ect. I jump in pissed at everyone stick it in R, you guessed it, forgot the double trailer. Now I have to make a vehicle switch ASAP. (way to embarrassed to show up with the 1/4 panel trashed). I ended up telling all why we were in my wife's suburban. :rolleyes:

jimmer2880
01-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Had the trailer with both wave runners hooked up. Headed for the lake for a day of bbq with friends and customers. We were running late, trying to get the boys loaded ect. I jump in pissed at everyone stick it in R, you guessed it, forgot the double trailer. Now I have to make a vehicle switch ASAP. (way to embarrassed to show up with the 1/4 panel trashed). I ended up telling all why we were in my wife's suburban. :rolleyes:

2 years ago, I made a 6.5x10 trailer. Doing some math, I made a riser bar on the A-tongue of the trailer that will hit the bumper before the corner of the trailer hit's the 1/4 panel. I get lots of looks, but after living through it - I'm glad I did. A bumper is WAY cheaper than a 1/4 panel ;)

Jesus_Freak
01-18-2007, 09:19 AM
2 years ago, I made a 6.5x10 trailer. Doing some math, I made a riser bar on the A-tongue of the trailer that will hit the bumper before the corner of the trailer hit's the 1/4 panel. I get lots of looks, but after living through it - I'm glad I did. A bumper is WAY cheaper than a 1/4 panel ;)

Great idea. Now all I would need is a siren that goes off to tell me if I am not within a given tolerance on a straight line to the ball. In my case, I had JUST RECENTLY had my bumper painted from an impromptu trailer-bumper meeting about 5 years ago.

Mag_Red
01-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm deadly at anything under 5 MPH:rolleyes: The list is endless. That's why I probably drive 85 MPH............I'm much safer at higher speeds. :D Lastest incident...........somehow scraped the very lower, driver's side, side of the front bumper of the F150 backing out of the garage. Must have cut the wheel a bit while I was making sure the passenger mirror didn't hit the door frame. This was right after I had the front repainted to remove all the nicks out of the front of the truck.:(

atlfootr
01-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Not me but my 68 year old Mother xxxxxx It's this how they all start out 8p ?

Maristar210
01-18-2007, 10:23 AM
It's this how they all start out 8p ?

Yeah yeah ATL.

Go grill in your damn shorts why don't ya:D 8p

Sodar
12-07-2007, 12:23 PM

A little over a year later (last night)... I am looking out my office window and see my boss backing out of his spot. He pulls back about 3 feet, appears that he looks, the backs 15' straight back, right into the EXACT same spot I had repaired last year! :mad: :mad:

I am beyond pissed. Last year, I paid extra to my insurance, to use "authenic", new parts to repair my car. The insurance wanted to use new parts at "their discretion" and I did not want ANY bondo/filler on my car and wanted it to look like nothing happened. Now, that money is thrown down the drain, because this dent is not enough to warrant a new rear quarter panel. They will probably just bang it out, bondo it up and feather the paint. :mad: :mad:

ski_king
12-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Years ago......
Backing out of my parking spot at work and flirting with the cute new secretary that was walking by........
and backed right into her car.....

duckguy
12-07-2007, 12:41 PM
I ran my truck into my MC dealership-whoops! For every stupid thing I do you would think I would get a little smarter, Dosent appear that way as of yet.

RexDog1
12-07-2007, 12:53 PM
A little over a year later (last night)... I am looking out my office window and see my boss backing out of his spot. He pulls back about 3 feet, appears that he looks, the backs 15' straight back, right into the EXACT same spot I had repaired last year!

I am beyond pissed. Last year, I paid extra to my insurance, to use "authenic", new parts to repair my car. The insurance wanted to use new parts at "their discretion" and I did not want ANY bondo/filler on my car and wanted it to look like nothing happened. Now, that money is thrown down the drain, because this dent is not enough to warrant a new rear quarter panel. They will probably just bang it out, bondo it up and feather the paint.

My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.:D

Sorry Cam.:o

I have a very good insurance person, if you need a new one :confused:

Sodar
12-07-2007, 01:00 PM
My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.:D

Sorry Cam.:o

I have a very good insurance person, if you need a new one :confused:

Any body shop recomendations? The last place I took it to, I had to go back because they did not put my door latch together right and they did not polish after paint. They left it with orange peel!

Amazing considering that I was the only one in there that did not have a Mercedes or Range Rover (they do all the work for those local dealerships). They probably saw my Chevy and thought I would not notice!

RexDog1
12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Any body shop recomendations? The last place I took it to, I had to go back because they did not put my door latch together right and they did not polish after paint. They left it with orange peel!

Amazing considering that I was the only one in there that did not have a Mercedes or Range Rover (they do all the work for those local dealerships). They probably saw my Chevy and thought I would not notice!

PM at you:D

lanier92prostar
12-07-2007, 03:17 PM
About a week after I got my new airflow tailgate for my truck I was backing up to hook up the 5th wheel and and hit the new tailgate on the kingpin and bent the crap out of the tailgate. I hooked the tailgate to a strap and a tree, drove forward and straightened it. Unless you knew I hit it, you would never be able to tell.

cbryan70
12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
hmmm fenders benders i hit a tree backing out while camping...and backed into a little girl on a bike when i was about 16? no damage to my car or me when hitting the little girl on the bike tho dont worrie!

milkmania
12-07-2007, 03:46 PM
hell, I wouldn't be able to hear if I hit a car!

milkmania
12-07-2007, 03:47 PM
hmmm fenders benders i hit a tree backing out while camping...and backed into a little girl on a bike when i was about 16? no damage to my car or me when hitting the little girl on the bike tho dont worrie!

thank goodness, glad to hear it

milkmania
12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
About a week after I got my new airflow tailgate for my truck I was backing up to hook up the 5th wheel and and hit the new tailgate on the kingpin and bent the crap out of the tailgate. I hooked the tailgate to a strap and a tree, drove forward and straightened it. Unless you knew I hit it, you would never be able to tell.

I was at the rv dealership the other day when a fifth wheel was being dropped off.....
he didn't even put his jacks down!:eek3:

you know what happened when he pulled out:rolleyes:

Sodar
12-07-2007, 03:50 PM
I was at the rv dealership the other day when a fifth wheel was being dropped off.....

Probably the same thing that happened to my neighbor's '08 Silverado and '08 40' Weekend Warrior!! :D

BrianM
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
you oughtta try backing up a 28 foot limousine in the dark with a party going on in the back:rant:

and the partition up:rolleyes:

hell, I wouldn't be a ble to hear if I hit a car!
Ah the good old days of driving a limo. Can you parallel park it yet? I used to be able to put a 110" stretch in a parallel spot that was only 2 ft bigger than the car in one shot. Mad skills!

east tx skier
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I was backing out of a parking space in my younger years and tagged the rear quarter panel of a mint 66 Mustang that was passing (at a high rate of speed). Turned out to be a buddy of mine in his dad's car. That was an expensive fix.

Sodar
12-07-2007, 04:57 PM
Here is the damage....

It looks like it is nothing, but above the obvious dent, there is a creased line running from my wheelwell to my bumper. I think the white mixed with a crappy cellphone camera, makes it difficult to see.

BrianM
12-07-2007, 05:50 PM
When I was a senior in high school I totaled out my Dads car (85 Toyota Celica GTS) attempting a Starsky and Hutch in the parking lot of my work one rainy evening. Planned to perform the manuver backing out of my parking spot into the empty parking lot behind me. One little issue though. There was a very large 3x3x4 concrete billboard signpost in my way. Dark parking lot, a little rain, luvers on the back window and not evaluating the situation before I got in the car equals bad outcome. I hit that sucker on the drivers side back quarter at about 30mph in reverse just before I was going to spin the wheel to whip the car around. Hit so hard it broke the drivers seat, jammed the door shut puched the rear quarter into the tire and rippled the roof. Oops!

wakolman
12-07-2007, 06:51 PM
I also have a story involving a snowbank. We were 17 and my buddy had his sometimes 4wd, not much metal-mostly bondo, S-10. The city had a large lot where they dumped snow removed from streets. Since the pile of snow was only 5 ft. tall in some places, he was getting a run at the drift and blasting through it. It was fun the first time, so we did it again. The next time the truck didn't clear the snowbank, but stopped dead in the middle of it. We crawled out the windows (snow up past the doors) and got a ride to my house (a small, but rather entertained crowd had formed). I grabbed dad's F150 and the jerk strap, went back and towed him through the rest of the way.

As I was winding the strap back up, (picture how much snow was wedged in his grill, lights, windshield, etc.) and his truck sitting at the end of the tracks which lead back through the snowbank, the local po-lice man rolls up. He asked us if it was fun. Thanks Officer Hughes!

uawaterskier
12-07-2007, 08:35 PM
hmmm fenders benders i hit a tree backing out while camping...!
my dad had a toyota that had a jacked up rear bumper from the exact same thing. He did it twice while I was with him.

As far as me? I was backing out of a driveway and hit a car dead on in the door. It was quite lucky considering it didnt do anything to my car, theres was a different story

Chicago190
12-07-2007, 08:52 PM
I backed out of the garage right into a car parked behind me because I didn't bother to look and see if someone had pulled in. No damage to either car luckily.

lanier92prostar
12-07-2007, 08:54 PM

I know what happened, I have a checklist that I go through each time so something like that doen't happen. The last time we were at the RV dealership a guy was leaving that didn't put his jacks up all the way. Damage to the hitch, kingpin and ripped the jacks off. The funny thing was that he was pulling it for only the 2nd time.

milkmania
12-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Ah the good old days of driving a limo. Can you parallel park it yet? I used to be able to put a 110" stretch in a parallel spot that was only 2 ft bigger than the car in one shot. Mad skills!
haven't parallel parked it yet, but I think it's got a sharper turning radius than my suburban!

SunCoast 83
12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Hit a tree in my parents yard at age 16....dumba**

6ballsisall
12-08-2007, 09:21 AM
So last night coming home from work at a stop light I got rear ended. I don't think the lady that hit me was going very fast. While it was dark and a little hard to see even when I got home, I don't think it did damage to my Audi. I saw a small (dime size) gouge in my bumper from her front license plate bracket and thats it. I can't make up my mind whether to file it and have it fixed. On one hand, I know my anal retentive self will always be annoyed with that gouge. On the other hand, am I being a self pretenious wiener by filing it and having that ladies insurance pay the claim when its such a minor deal. Decisions.........

Maristar210
12-08-2007, 10:45 AM
So last night coming home from work at a stop light I got rear ended. I don't think the lady that hit me was going very fast. While it was dark and a little hard to see even when I got home, I don't think it did damage to my Audi. I saw a small (dime size) gouge in my bumper from her front license plate bracket and thats it. I can't make up my mind whether to file it and have it fixed. On one hand, I know my anal retentive self will always be annoyed with that gouge. On the other hand, am I being a self pretenious wiener by filing it and having that ladies insurance pay the claim when its such a minor deal. Decisions.........

I would have it fixed if it were my Audi.

Of course I drive a GMC pickup that GMAC owns so I don't care what happens to it :D

mtrask
12-08-2007, 11:31 AM
This guy Made my day!! Glad I had the truck!!

Chas
12-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I sell spas for a living. We did a late delivery, and I forgot to bring something - don't recall what it was, but something small. The customer was very excited about their new toy, and gladly jumped at the offer to follow me down to the store to pick up whatever it was as soon as we finished up the delivery/install. They parked first and I managed to back my huge truck/trailer into their Bronco as they and all my employees stood there watching.

TMCNo1
12-08-2007, 12:04 PM
When I was 16 years old and driving an automatic car for the first time, I ran into the front of a mobile home, knocked it off the foundation blocks and drove the trailer tongue all the way thru the grill to the water pump!~ That's all I'll say about that other than there wasn't a clutch pedal on the floor I was pressing!

BrianM
12-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Absolutely have it fixed!

Jesus_Freak
12-08-2007, 04:44 PM
A little over a year later (last night)... I am looking out my office window and see my boss backing out of his spot. He pulls back about 3 feet, appears that he looks, the backs 15' straight back, right into the EXACT same spot I had repaired last year! :mad: :mad:

Sorry dude.

Lennyp04
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Fender Benders SUCK!