PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Silverado (other full size pickup)

floridamastercraft
01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
you all that have full size pickup's truck I have a question for u.... I always have had mid-size suv's and I'm looking to get a full size pickup truck and I'm concern about the turning radius of it size the road in front of my house is only 21 feet wide and my driveway is only 19 wide x 20 long so its very tight to get in and out. with the boat backing up in the garage.. I'm just concern about the size and length of the truck over a mid size suv (explorer, jeep, bmw) anyone have problem in tight places with a trailer?

Maristar210
01-15-2007, 10:30 PM
you all that have full size pickup's truck I have a question for u.... I always have had mid-size suv's and I'm looking to get a full size pickup truck and I'm concern about the turning radius of it size the road in front of my house is only 21 feet wide and my driveway is only 19 wide x 20 long so its very tight to get in and out. with the boat backing up in the garage.. I'm just concern about the size and length of the truck over a mid size suv (explorer, jeep, bmw) anyone have problem in tight places with a trailer?

I would take a three point turn with my 05 GMC full size and the towing capacity and room over any mid size anything... JMO

Steve

suedv
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
We live in an older city neighborhood with somewhat narrow streets where people park on both sides. We also have a long narrow driveway. At one point its narrow enough you can't fully open the truck doors without hitting the house.

Rick is very good at backing the boat and other trailers in with our Silverado. He makes it look easy. We wouldn't go with anything but a truck because we need a lot of towing capacity for our 5th wheel and boat.

TNH2oSkier
01-16-2007, 07:52 AM
The review on the latest generation of Chevy trucks said the truck had a surprisingly small turning radius. The turning raduis is one of the few complaints I have of my 06'.
I really like the 5.3 engine with the 4.10 gear, and I havent really noticed any difference in fuel mileage.

Ric
01-16-2007, 08:07 AM
I would take a three point turn with my 05 GMC full size and the towing capacity and room over any mid size anything... JMO

Steve totally agree!

Chevy's don't turn. If there is a new feature for 07 which would give a 4x4 crew cab HD, the turning radius of a 2x Suburban, I want one! (with the caveat that the design doesn't eat tires like a .... well ya know)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
I had until recently an '02 Ford Crewcab 4X4 p'stroked. And I would hands down rather trailer with that than my '06 Grand cherokee regardless of the turning radius.
It's all in the experience you have trailering, and I think once you do it a few times and get used to how to handle it, you wouldn't be sorry.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Chevy's don't turn. If there is a new feature for 07 which would give a 4x4 crew cab HD, the turning radius of a 2x Suburban,
Learn how to drive......8p

Ric
01-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Learn how to drive......8p you just made the list

Maristar210
01-16-2007, 12:14 PM
you just made the list

Baaaawaaaaah

Not the list?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 12:30 PM
you just made the list
Baaaawaaaaah

Not the list?
See Steve...I told you I'd make her list one day...:woohoo:

flyingskibiker
01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
my dad had a ford extended cab pick-up 4X4 deisel. i had a chevy regular cab long bed 4X4. his turning radius was at least 50% greater! i HATED that thing. u-turns weren't even attempted if anyone was behind or around... :rolleyes:

totally agree!

Chevy's don't turn. If there is a new feature for 07 which would give a 4x4 crew cab HD, the turning radius of a 2x Suburban, I want one! (with the caveat that the design doesn't eat tires like a .... well ya know)

Thrall
01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Just a thought, go test drive what you like back to the house and see how it fits. In AZ we had a very small driveway (I'm sure more than one pedestrian cranked his/her shins on my pintle hitch while strolling down the sidewalk. I'd still take a fullsize over a midsize to tow with as long as I have the means to have the luxury of owning one.
Current truck is a Chev Dmax crew cab and it's really nice to get 17-18mpg (14-15 towing the MC) out of a 7000#, 400+hp truck. Warning, if you don't do your own maintenance on diesel pickups, the shops will bend you over for oil changes, etc.

PendO
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
totally agree!

first you have a "defective" trailer that you can't load a 197 on ... now you have a "defective" chevy that doesn't turn ... ric is a chick:)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Warning, if you don't do your own maintenance on diesel pickups, the shops will bend you over for oil changes, etc.
And if you do your own, get yourself a 55 gallon drum for waste and 5 gallon pan to catch it. There is only about 4 gallons in there, but leave room for remaining from the last change:o I made that mistake ONCE!!! Never changed it again myself...When you see oil flowing down the driveway, that is a bad sign..:o
Cost me $40.00 in oil and filter to do myself, or $80.00 for the dealer to do it with motorcraft oil & filter, that didn't take long to decide for me....;)

BriEOD
01-16-2007, 08:47 PM
W4T,

I don't have any trouble turning in my Ford...you? :D

RickDV
01-16-2007, 09:02 PM
We live in an older city neighborhood with somewhat narrow streets where people park on both sides. We also have a long narrow driveway. At one point its narrow enough you can't fully open the truck doors without hitting the house.

Rick is very good at backing the boat and other trailers in with our Silverado. He makes it look easy. We wouldn't go with anything but a truck because we need a lot of towing capacity for our 5th wheel and boat.

Our street is 30' wide curb to curb. Usually there are cars parked on both sides leaving me 16' +/- usable roadway. The driveway is 9' wide and has a telephone pole 18" from the front corner at the curb. I drive a Silverado 2500HD and pull a PS190 with a single axle trailer.

With practice and patience is can be done easily. Most of the time I can make it in one shot and sometimes I have to pull foward a bit to straighten out before finishing the move. The biggest challenge comes at night in the rain when it's hard to see through the mirrors.

I do not see your situation as too difficult. Get the truck you want and practice. You will be able to make it work.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
W4T,

I don't have any trouble turning in my Ford...you? :D
Over the weekend I drove 2 different p'stroked 4X4 Ford Excursions and a gas'd suburban and had no trouble with the turing radius. ;) Although they were slightly shorter than my pickup was....

BTW- Sad to say my Ford has been gone a good couple months now...:( but there are a whole bunch around I get to drive.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Get the truck you want and practice. You will be able to make it work.
Well put........;)

RickDV
01-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I found a picture of the driveway. In the summer I keep the boat about where you see the Silverado in this picture.

chudson
01-17-2007, 11:25 AM
Go take one for a test drive and tell them just what you asked about. Go by your place and see if it will work. Get the truck you want and deal with the backing up and turning radius as you go, you won't regret it!

Ric
01-17-2007, 11:44 AM
first you have a "defective" trailer that you can't load a 197 on ... now you have a "defective" chevy that doesn't turn ... ric is a chick:) Let me repeat I HATE FORDS.

Chivvy does need to decrease turning radius of a 4x4 without sacrificing ride and tire wear.

I think my trailer issues are solved, springtime will tell...

I give and give and give to you people and what do I get in return?

I'm just not "happy"

Ric
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I found a picture of the driveway. In the summer I keep the boat about where you see the Silverado in this picture. Rick wins the trailer backing award!

No beers for you!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Ric,

When you find a 4x4 crew cab truck from any manufacturer that has a turning radius you like, you be sure to let us know. :D

Please exclude any and all vehicles with rear wheel steering.....:noface:

Ric
01-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Ric,

When you find a 4x4 crew cab truck from any manufacturer that has a turning radius you like, you be sure to let us know. :D

Please exclude any and all vehicles with rear wheel steering.....:noface: ohh I rode in a quadrasteer denali off road once... vewwwy nice

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
ohh I rode in a quadrasteer denali off road once... vewwwy niceOh, I rode in a 4 wheel steer Jeep before8p , it could probably do circles in the bed of that quadrasteer...Let's stay on track here and talk about what's in store for you and maybe (us)....;)

I sure would like to see the actual mpg numbers go up a bit with and without a trailer.. And if they could only make them steer in a 15' circle without sacrificing tires, and ball joints.

Let's see if we had....
A 15' turning radius...
get 23 mpg...
350hp and 300 ft/lb
tow 12,000#....
seating for (6) 6' tall people....
4 wheel drive...
HUGE side mirrors...
8' bed
200,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on parts and labor..

Would this sell...??