PDA

View Full Version : high hour boats

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 07:24 PM
as you all probably know, im selling the bu . main reason being i need to downsize and have no need for two boats. howver i still need a slalom boat. im not sure which brand , all i know is that it must be out of the big three. i dont want to spend over 19K. i have found two nice boats that are actually newish 2002, but have very high hours. 1500 and 1900. obviously used as club boats. if these boat are maintained as well as there owners claim, how long can i expect to keep one of these boat running before a major repair?

H20skeefreek
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
define major repair.

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 08:11 PM
anything costly$$$

Footin
01-15-2007, 08:14 PM
If they were taken good care of (oil changed regularly) I would think you would be fine into the 2500 to 3000 hour range.

erkoehler
01-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Buy Sodarski's boat...you can't go wrong there :)

Footin
01-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Sell the man a boat Erkle.

Leroy
01-15-2007, 09:04 PM
I think we are guessing a little as statistically there are not that many 2002 era boats that go that many hours by now. However one rule of thumb says these are about like a car with 90k miles and in my way of thinking 90k miles on the drive train is about 1/3 of the life of a car so I would not worry so much.

How is the interior? I would think that would be worn, torn and looking very used with those hours.

I guess I don't understand downsizing, sounds like you are selling one nice gently used ski boat and buying one very used ski boat.

Jim@BAWS
01-15-2007, 09:23 PM

as you all probably know, im selling the bu . main reason being i need to downsize and have no need for two boats. howver i still need a slalom boat. im not sure which brand , all i know is that it must be out of the big three. i dont want to spend over 19K. i have found two nice boats that are actually newish 2002, but have very high hours. 1500 and 1900. obviously used as club boats. if these boat are maintained as well as there owners claim, how long can i expect to keep one of these boat running before a major repair?

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 09:40 PM
the question is actually mc related.....

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/9/86567349.htm

H20skeefreek
01-15-2007, 09:40 PM
I'm with Leroy. Why sell a boat you know the history on, for a boat that has super high hours for an '02? I can understand buying a low hours '94 hours to have your total investment $$ lower, but I just don't get what you are doing.

I have found that people who are constantly buying something different are lacking something in thier lives. I used to be this same way, and I think we all do it a little. I think if you tried to fill that "spot" with something a little more fulfilling, you'd be presently suprised. If you'd like to know what I'm talking about, feel free to PM me.

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
i want to get a boat that is about 12000 less. lower payments. i did the math . sell the boat pay off the loan and have about 3k. i put that and 2K of my own money down on 19K. debt down to 14K .

plus i have always wanted a closed bow bot , but never have bought one becuase i needed the room. now i dont.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Buy Sodarski's boat...you can't go wrong there :)

Thanks Dude!

east tx skier
01-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Rod, the number I've always heard thrown around is 2,000 hours. But of course, maintenance is the key. If it's rode hard and put away wet, it may not make that. If it's babied, 2,000 is just a number.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 09:57 PM
the question is actually mc related.....

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/4/9/86567349.htm

Doesn't that price seem VERY high... even though it is a 2002?

JimN
01-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I would ask for their service records and talk to the shop/person that serviced it. Personally, I would look at high hours as an opportunity for a better price. If the ECM shows no overheats and MC or whoever the manufacturer is has no records of any, the only real worry would be how frequently the oil was changed or if they hit anything really hard. Other than those, I don't think I would worry much about the hours. If they did the scheduled maintenance when they should have, they should be good boats.

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Doesn't that price seem VERY high... even though it is a 2002?

i think so, i was going to offer less.

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm with Leroy. Why sell a boat you know the history on, for a boat that has super high hours for an '02? I can understand buying a low hours '94 hours to have your total investment $$ lower, but I just don't get what you are doing.

I have found that people who are constantly buying something different are lacking something in thier lives. I used to be this same way, and I think we all do it a little. I think if you tried to fill that "spot" with something a little more fulfilling, you'd be presently suprised. If you'd like to know what I'm talking about, feel free to PM me.

the plan is to get something older, but i was throwing the idea around a high hour new boat.

plus i want jim to like me again:D

bcampbe7
01-15-2007, 10:18 PM

The way you flip them, a 1900 hour boat should last long enough for ya. :D

Leroy
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
WHy not just go with the new company ski boat and really put it to the test? THen you will have guessing 10-15k cash.

Would like to see your skiing review of it. When do you get it?

the plan is to get something older, but i was throwing the idea around a high hour new boat.

plus i want jim to like me again:D

88 PS190
01-15-2007, 11:40 PM
If you buy a high hour boat you might have alot of trouble selling it once you add even a few hundred hours you might have trouble.

Things to check, on any boat but particularly high hour boats.

Trans - is the fluid good or showing signs of neglect?
Engine, does it start cold easily? perform well? does it idle? will it restart when hot easily?
Hull, any signs of water logging? softs spots?

Does it need a damper plate?

New bushings in the strut?

Prop shaft, is it true?

Overall shape and fit?

One way to see if a boat is in good shape is to put it in some big waves and see if anything is loose.

BrianM
01-16-2007, 09:00 AM
If you buy a high hour boat you might have alot of trouble selling it once you add even a few hundred hours you might have trouble.

Rod this is my feeling as well. Although a high hour boat that was maintained well may be great for what you are wanting now I would be worried about the ability to sell later on. Especially since you seem to like to trade boats fairly often. Now if you are able to get a really good deal on it then this may be a non factor. But $24k seems high. I am guessing you are not going to be able to get that great of a deal on it.

mig
01-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I checked on a 2001 with 1900 hours that sounded reasonable - until the cracked / JB Welded block and fiberglass repairs were revealed. A lot can happen to a boat in 2K hours.

rodltg2
01-16-2007, 10:39 AM
thanks for the reply's. ive decided against the high hour boats. i do switch boats alot so i better get something with reasonable hours.
my bu will be gone on wednesday so i better start looking. i hope to ski soon if this weather evr warms back up.

cancun baby, this weekend. skiing with pQ2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

pq2
01-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Rod, give me a call when you arrive. I have to find some slalom because mine is at HO. I have two more but I think they are too small.

rodltg2
01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
i got a kd platinum and a kd cr7 both 66" blank if you want i can bring one

pq2
01-16-2007, 11:23 AM
just if you want to bring your ski, if not, dont worry we will be able to find one.

jkski
01-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Clean out your PM, I've got a lead for you on a creampuff that would be a great deal for someone.

88 PS190
01-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I did have a thought

The High hour project boat that you get into for just a few thousand dollars, throw a new drivetrain into, buff out, and have new vinyl stitched up for.

Then keep around because its soooo good, and you bought it so cheap.