PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else had their stereo stolen?

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Just found out that the storage facility where we store our X2 was hit heavily this weekend. Every unit was hit- cut the locks with a handheld torch apparently. Multiple storage units across our town were hit this weekend.

The morons who hit our boat, were not boat people, but they knew stereos. They managed to remove all the speakers, cut the wires, remove the stereo and amp, and got one speaker out of the JL cans. They couldn't get the cans off the tower and did some damage to the exterior of the cans. They also removed some knobs from the tower, there are screws everywhere in the interior, and everything seems a little shaky to me.

Sorry to ramble but I am PI**ed off right now. Luckily they didn't cut the fiberglass with a sawzall- they did however cut through the drywall in our unit to get to the one nextdoor.

Anyone have any advice of what else to look for? They helped themselves to all of our new wetsuits, cooler, life vests-(13 total)
but left behind the boards and wakesurfer (???).

I am just concerned with the way the wires were cut, what else could have been involved. Our dealer is 1 1/2 hours away, so we won't be getting the boat down there anytime soon. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Leroy
01-15-2007, 06:57 PM
THat really sticks, hope they catch these low lifes. It is really hard to put everything back in place. And it feels like you have been violated. :mad:

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Wife is ready to buy a new boat she is so pissed. I'm thinking PWT X star......budget may not make it though.

Jerseydave
01-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Step back, take a deep breath and call your ins. co. (which I'm sure you have already done) Get an estimate for the work from a local stereo shop (that you trust does good work) plus any other costs of items (speaker cans, ski equip. etc.)

It really sucks when you are victim of a crime, but on the bright side it could have been worse (like if the boat was stolen)

I feel bad for your loss, and hope they catch those bastards!

Sodar
01-15-2007, 07:16 PM
So sorry to hear about this! It royally pisses me off to hear this! Like NJ said, document every last peice that was stolen, so you can get the highest return from the insurance company. What pisses me off most about this stuff is the inconvenience of it all... what a hassle! Good luck and I hope that they catch these guys!

One last thing... did the storage facility have cameras?

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Our storage facility didn't have cameras, but one of the other ones that was hit did, and the wires were cut right before the theft. We did call our insurance co, they are amazingly helpful and will make sure all is right for us. Now its just, what could be wrong, what else was in the boat, where do we take it to be repaired etc.

Thanks for letting me rant. I am feeling much better about this now.

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear that, thieves are the lowest form of life, in my opinion.:mad: I would find the best custom stereo shop in your area and take the ins. money and make that new stereo and speakers rock (upgrades). Then next summer ya'll can laugh at those fools. ;)

FlatBoard
01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I hate thieves!!! I hope you can replace your goods before spring. I like the way TX.X-30 thinks. It would be great if you could upgrade. It might take away some of the sting. Good luck.

SkiDog
01-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Be sure to check with the local pawn shops as well as the pawn shops in some neighboring towns in a couple or three weeks. Dumb basturds like these are too stupid. They want their money as soon as possible, so it will hit the pawn shops pretty soon I would think. Good luck, I hope they catch them! Hang em' HIGH!:mad:

phecksel
01-15-2007, 08:39 PM
I had some minor Glass damage, as well as loosing stereo and IP damage from attempted theft.

Found out how bad US Waterski insurance was, when they refused to cover anything.

dmayer84
01-15-2007, 08:43 PM
That is horrible hopefully everything else works fine.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Just a quick thought... what type of equipment was in your boat (i.e. JL, Clarion, etc.) I have been watching ebay like a hawk looking for JL Audio component speakers, subs and amps. Maybe if these guys are dumb enough, I will come across them! :confused: ;)

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:16 PM
It was a Clarion stereo, JL amp and all JL speakers. Basically everything you can get from MC on a new boat except the subwoofer.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 10:24 PM
It was a Clarion stereo, JL amp and all JL speakers. Basically everything you can get from MC on a new boat except the subwoofer.

Never had a new MC, to know what comes in them!! :o I will keep my eye out for ya!

Where any boats stolen, or just items taken?

bcampbe7
01-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow that really sucks!
I have had stuff stolen from me in the past. It was the lost sense of security that pi$$ed me off the most. Material things can be replaced. I hope they catch the b@stards!

One thing you may want to do is unhook your battery if you already haven't. If they ripped the wires off the amp the + and - may touch and generate some heat. I don't know if it would be enough to start a fire, but better safe than sorry.

prostar205
01-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Dapacatti -

I hate to ask this but where are you located? I seem to remember you are in the great NW area - maybe Seattle? I am also in the greater Seattle area. The storage place I was going to leave my boat at this winter told me to remove everything I could from the boat before putting it in storage - not alot of good that piece of information does you at this point in time. However, I removed my tower speakers, HU and Amps from the boat and they are sitting in my garage.

If you are in the Seattle area, let me know where you end up taking your boat to for the new stereo. I am looking to upgrade my tower and boat speakers.

Again, I am sorry for you loss but it is certainly an opportunity to upgrade.

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Here are a few pics of what we found:

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:34 PM
and another

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:39 PM
and another one of the tower speakers

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:41 PM
last shot for now- you get the idea

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Never had a new MC, to know what comes in them!! :o I will keep my eye out for ya!

Where any boats stolen, or just items taken?

No boats, thats the crazy thing. They had the gate open, all they had to do was hook up our boat and take off. I don't think they were prepared to find our boat inside.

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Wow that really sucks!

One thing you may want to do is unhook your battery if you already haven't. If they ripped the wires off the amp the + and - may touch and generate some heat. I don't know if it would be enough to start a fire, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the heads up. Never even thought about it. It seems like they cut them pretty far back, but now I will have to go down and look again.

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Dapacatti -

If you are in the Seattle area, let me know where you end up taking your boat to for the new stereo. I am looking to upgrade my tower and boat speakers.

Again, I am sorry for you loss but it is certainly an opportunity to upgrade.

We are on the Eastside- of the Cascades. We were actually talking to a shop in Redmond that was going to help us upgrade our system and add another remote for the driver. We have the transom remote still- its the only thing they didn't steal. They were recommended to us by BAKES- ( I know a bu dealer) we just haven't had good luck with the main Seattle MC Dealer. Bought ours in Pasco. I am sure they are a good dealer but being so far away put us at a disadvantage last year when X-2s were selling like fire.

prostar205
01-15-2007, 11:01 PM
We are on the Eastside- of the Cascades. We were actually talking to a shop in Redmond that was going to help us upgrade our system and add another remote for the driver.

Let me know the name of the place in Redmond. I'd be interested in talking to them about speaker selection.

Bill Bake is one of the nicest guys in the industry. I have know him since 1989 and have come close to buying his product on a couple of occasions.

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Will do- he runs a great dealership. Very impressed.

88 PS190
01-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Trip cord, and shotgun, crotch level, at the door... seems it would work.

edwinfuqua
01-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Thieves make you feel easily accessible. You are not!! Did your storage place make it easy for the burglar? Do they have insurance? What insurance applies here? Ownership, Renter or other insurance may apply. Check with your broker.

It has been my experience that an insurance company never provides the coverage you need in case of a claim. If they delay in your response to a claim you can be sure that they have found a reason not to pay you. Subsequence calls will be to no avail, eventually you will get a response you don't want to hear. Call your lawyer; or any lawyer, get immediate response that someone is helping you!! As sickening as this situation is: forget kindness and understanding, this cost you enormous time and money. Screw the thieves; and hopefully they will get their due pay, get on top of your loss of use issues, your loss of use and loss of security! Get a litigator will make the insurance company pay!!! Forget the storage company, they gave you what you wanted and needed; they were abused too. Don't let your insurance company give you less than what you deserve.

I hope they find the burglars drowned or in somewhat the same condition.

Sincerely, Edwin

flyingskibiker
01-16-2007, 02:10 PM
karma. that's all i have to say about the thieves... and people that write viruses and the spammers...

i had about $3500 worth of winch, bumper, brush guard, custom light mounts, lights, winch cover, etc. stolen off my '50 willys. i backed out of my parent's driveway at 4 am to go to work. the headlights swept across my willys. i noticed something wrong. another look and :confused: had the rest of the work day to think about it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

sorry to hear about the theft. i don't think my insurance ever paid for anything that i've ever had stolen over the years... and never had anything "returned". police report was filled out. but i guess that's only good to use against the thieves in court? one friend actually caught the guy himself. got the police involved, etc. and STILL didn't get his stuff back! though, another friend had his bike stolen and the insurance company paid for a new, better one. he also saw his listed on craigslist... figured it wasn't worth the risk at that point (it was stolen from his garage. so, the guy knew where he lived)...

dapicatti
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
So far, our insurance company has been great. We will see how it all shakes out. Thanks everyone for your support.

Sodar
01-16-2007, 10:20 PM
So far, our insurance company has been great. We will see how it all shakes out. Thanks everyone for your support.
If you have good insurance, they will really work with you... don't worry! I have not personally had a claim, but my best friend's family had a claim with the same carrier as I have. Long story short, their boat was vandalized in the slip by tossing a hose into it, boat flipped, batteries arched and all three outboards, all electrical and metal parts were toasted. Insurance company gave them replacement value for the boat, plus paid all the recent purchases they had receipts for in full. They ended up getting enough to purchase an identical boat, and upgrade it to the same condition that the vandalized boat was in...

Maristar210
01-16-2007, 10:22 PM
I had some minor Glass damage, as well as loosing stereo and IP damage from attempted theft.

Found out how bad US Waterski insurance was, when they refused to cover anything.

Loosing

er a

losing?

You should sue

Monte
01-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Thieves make you feel easily accessible. You are not!! Did your storage place make it easy for the burglar? Do they have insurance? What insurance applies here? Ownership, Renter or other insurance may apply. Check with your broker.

It has been my experience that an insurance company never provides the coverage you need in case of a claim. If they delay in your response to a claim you can be sure that they have found a reason not to pay you. Subsequence calls will be to no avail, eventually you will get a response you don't want to hear. Call your lawyer; or any lawyer, get immediate response that someone is helping you!! As sickening as this situation is: forget kindness and understanding, this cost you enormous time and money. Screw the thieves; and hopefully they will get their due pay, get on top of your loss of use issues, your loss of use and loss of security! Get a litigator will make the insurance company pay!!! Forget the storage company, they gave you what you wanted and needed; they were abused too. Don't let your insurance company give you less than what you deserve.

I hope they find the burglars drowned or in somewhat the same condition.

Sincerely, Edwin

Simmer down there:mad: ... Sounds like you need to change companies;)
Sorry for the threadjack,

D... I hope they find the thieves, but if not, sounds like it will work out...

dapicatti
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM
We were a little worried with a 3k personal property limit, untill ins co explained that life vests, wetsuits and stereo were not included in that limit, since they were part of what we used when we went boating. I agree, not all companies are the same but generally are fair if you are adequately covered.

phecksel
01-17-2007, 11:41 AM
Loosing

er a

losing?

You should sue
It wasn't my fault, it was a stiky keey