PDA

View Full Version : Cold in California

MMCCAR12
01-15-2007, 09:44 AM
The last few mornings everything has been frozen outside. Big water bowls for the cats are frozen half way through. My boat is outside under a metal car port. Do you think I am going to have any problems ?

We dont winterize here in So. Cal but this is cold for us down in the upper 20's.

Got 400# of ballast Bags from POP Products on Friday

JKTX21
01-15-2007, 09:59 AM
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/392888.html?1165007592

Taylor made link for you!

betsy&david Harrison
01-15-2007, 11:00 AM
I think you may be in for a BIG surprise when you go to fire up your boat... :(

flyinryn
01-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I am going to jump on the betsy&david Harrison post.

I was walking along the American river yesterday and you could see the ice that had formed in some of the side areas. Some kids brought some up and it had to be an inch thick..

Personally, I would be out there feeling house and maybe trying to get some water out.

it has been colder than normal here.

What part of the West Coast are you from.

betsy&david Harrison
01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I am going to jump on the betsy&david Harrison post.

I was walking along the American river yesterday and you could see the ice that had formed in some of the side areas. Some kids brought some up and it had to be an inch thick..

Personally, I would be out there feeling house and maybe trying to get some water out.

it has been colder than normal here.

What part of the West Coast are you from.
I live down here between Santa Barbara and LA. Beautiful town called Ventura. We ski out in Bakersfield near Arvin. There are a lot of man made ski lakes there. Ever heard of them? You can come ski with us when it is warmer:D

WakeSeeky
01-15-2007, 11:29 AM
I think it's been a little colder here than in CA, but we were advised by our dealer to drain the engine before this cold front hit. We'd never done it before, but I've lived in Vegas almost 8 years now and I don't remember it ever being this cold or freezing every night for this long. We're looking at maybe two or three more nights below freezing yet! :confused:

I hope your engine is ok. I don't know if it would make a difference or not at this point, but I also would be checking hoses and looking to get water out, if it isn't already too late.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 11:43 AM
OK, I suddenly have had a bit of panic setting in. My motor has a closed-cooling system, with a 1/2 and 1/2 water/antifreeze mix. I left the mixture in the motor, but drained the exhaust manifolds and hoses. What is the chance of this mixture in motor freezing? I think I put in -34 degree antifreeze... does anyone have any input?

milkmania
01-15-2007, 11:46 AM
OK, I suddenly have had a bit of panic setting in. My motor has a closed-cooling system, with a 1/2 and 1/2 water/antifreeze mix. I left the mixture in the motor, but drained the exhaust manifolds and hoses. What is the chance of this mixture in motor freezing? I think I put in -34 degree antifreeze... does anyone have any input?

are you at work?

rodltg2
01-15-2007, 11:49 AM
im not worried about my boat since its in the garage and i have an engine block heater as well. however i am concerned about my houseboat. its in the water so normally it isnt a problem. i went down on saturday and put i light bulb in the engine compartment. hopefully im ok.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
are you at work?

Yeah, I was sitting writing an email when my dad called to inform me of the temperatures at our vacation house last night! I did take some precautions i.e. draining the manifolds, hoses and putting a light bulb in the engine hatch, but I have NEVER seen temps in the 20's out there!

WakeSeeky
01-15-2007, 11:51 AM

All I can tell you is what the dealer told me: Drain the manifolds and pull the plugs on the engine block and you'll be fine. I guess we'll find out, huh? :o

I don't know about you guys, but we haven't stayed below freezing for more than a few hours at a time, so I think we're ok. Just not used to this weather!

Sodar
01-15-2007, 11:55 AM
All I can tell you is what the dealer told me: Drain the manifolds and pull the plugs on the engine block and you'll be fine. I guess we'll find out, huh? :o

I don't know about you guys, but we haven't stayed below freezing for more than a few hours at a time, so I think we're ok. Just not used to this weather!

Yeah, I did not want to pull the plugs on the block because I did not want antifreeze/water mixture all over the bilge...

Our partners have left their Hydrodyne in the garage out there every winter since 1995 and never do a thing to it in regards of winterizing... I hope I have this good fortune with my boat!!

WakeSeeky
01-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I did not want to pull the plugs on the block because I did not want antifreeze/water mixture all over the bilge...

Sorry, should have added that we don't have any antifreeze in the engine. I wouldn't have wanted to pull the plugs either.

As I said, we've never, ever done anything to the boat except make sure we run it at least every few weeks all winter. I'm clueless about the whole winterization thing, I moved to the desert for a reason!! Darn it, I want my money back. :D

milkmania
01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I was sitting writing an email when my dad called to inform me of the temperatures at our vacation house last night! I did take some precautions i.e. draining the manifolds, hoses and putting a light bulb in the engine hatch, but I have NEVER seen temps in the 20's out there!

well, it's time to leave!!!

:uglyhamme

Sodar
01-15-2007, 12:08 PM
well, it's time to leave!!!

:uglyhamme

Ha ha... I should have just had my brother pull the plugs while he was out there this weekend dirt biking. I wish I could drive out there, but the 6 hour round trip does not fit into the ole' schedule!! :mad:

milkmania
01-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Ha ha... I should have just had my brother pull the plugs while he was out there this weekend dirt biking. I wish I could drive out there, but the 6 hour round trip does not fit into the ole' schedule!! :mad:

nor will a busted block

'02xrider
01-15-2007, 12:14 PM
i'm in Northern California, Chico to be exact. We have had temps into the mid 20's overnight for the last 4-5 days and upper 40's to 50's during the day. My trustee high/low thermometers that are in the engine compartment have only gotten down to 38. The boat is stored inside a metal storage shed.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Just called the dealership... my mixture is entirely safe. They use a pre-diluted antifreeze mixture that is good to -40 degrees. Phew! I hope the partner's boat does OK!

Ryan
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE=WakeSeeky][SIZE=2]... we were advised by our dealer to drain the engine before this cold front hit. We'd never done it before, ...[QUOTE]

Did your dealer just up and call you? That would be a great dealer.

JKTX21
01-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I think you guys will be safe UNLESS the temperature gets down into the 20s and stays in the 20s for over 2 days (if the boat is indoors). If it gets down to freezing at night and comes above freezing during the day, you should be alright (my personal opinion).

Here in Texas, it will get below freezing for a few days at a time, maybe once a year. I pulled the plugs on mine last time out, but my buddy does NOTHING to his '87 PS 190 and he has never had a problem. My boat is over an hour away, and it gives me peace of mind.

I think to be on the safe side, boats should be "winterized" if it is going to be laid up for any period of time... winter or not.

MMCCAR12
01-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Go to Sanantino all the time in Paso.
Mike

WakeSeeky
01-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Did your dealer just up and call you? That would be a great dealer.

No, I called, but they did walk me through everything on the phone and told us to bring it by if we got confused. (Which I'm sure sounds absurd to people who do this all the time. :D )

We've known for over a week this weather was coming, so it wasn't a big surprise. I called early last week to find out what to do and we got it done before it got cold. I can't complain, I can't imagine how they would know who's winterized and who isn't. :confused:

MMCCAR12
01-15-2007, 03:16 PM
I think it only got below 32 F for a couple of hours each nite. Its been in the 50' s during the day. I have 3 covers on the thing and the dog house is insulated. However I am going to pull the plugs and drain the block just to be safe. It did snow here last Friday in Fontana So. Calif. but only stuck for about 2 hours. Screw all this crap I just want to go ski. It was 87 F last week.

milkmania
01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
looks like Needles, CA in death valley is 45 degrees:rolleyes:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Needles.html

Sodar
01-15-2007, 03:28 PM
looks like Needles, CA in death valley is 45 degrees:rolleyes:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Needles.html

Needles is a ways away from Death Valley. Death Valley is 37 degrees.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=death+valley%2C+ca

milkmania
01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Needles is a ways away from Death Valley. Death Valley is 37 degrees.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=death+valley%2C+ca

I thought it was in or near....
my bad

been a long time since I've been through Indio, Palm Springs, Cochella, Thermal, and Needles....

think it was about 1972

Sodar
01-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow, if it has been that long, you will be AMAZED at what is there now! Urban sprawl has met the low desert in a HUGE way!! :mad

WakeSeeky
01-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I think it only got below 32 F for a couple of hours each nite. Its been in the 50' s during the day. I have 3 covers on the thing and the dog house is insulated. However I am going to pull the plugs and drain the block just to be safe. It did snow here last Friday in Fontana So. Calif. but only stuck for about 2 hours. Screw all this crap I just want to go ski. It was 87 F last week.

Sounds like you were warmer than here. Since I'm big time not-an-expert on cold and boats I hate to speculate, but what you're describing happens here a few times a winter and we've never had a problem, so I really hope you'll be ok.

M-Funf
01-15-2007, 04:25 PM
All this talk about freezing blocks and cracked heads made me nervous enough to go put a small bulb inside the boat. It's down in the barn, but not protected too well. I'll leave it there this week and pull it back out when it warms up a bit.

Hopefully we get some rain soon, which should warm it up some :o

Sodar
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I never thought that I would consider rain as a warm weather system, but rain would be a total blessing after this cold streak!!

MMCCAR12
01-15-2007, 04:36 PM
We Ski Park Mowabi just out of Needles several times a year. Go through the Gourge up into lake Havasu. The water north of the park is cold but nice and flat during the week and on Sunday. Sat sucks due to all the 100K puss boats hauling *** up and down. Also below Blythe on the river is excellent water and it is much warmer. Cant wait for the end of March when the water will be up and we can start to Ski.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 05:20 PM
We Ski Park Mowabi just out of Needles several times a year. Go through the Gourge up into lake Havasu. The water north of the park is cold but nice and flat during the week and on Sunday. Sat sucks due to all the 100K puss boats hauling *** up and down. Also below Blythe on the river is excellent water and it is much warmer. Cant wait for the end of March when the water will be up and we can start to Ski.

Hey, easy on the Saturday boaters... we like to go fast and have fun too!!:(

As for ski spots... Needles is nice, we used to stay at Mowabi alot. Blythe is a little scary for me, I have never mastered the art of dodging the sand and rock bars. My FAVORITE place to ski is North of Blythe in a little spot called Ranchoes-&^%-*&-(*%#^... it is a secret spot, but the most incredible place on the river I have ever been.

Ryan
01-15-2007, 05:28 PM
I'm too busy to ski for the next month. So, I'm kind of glad for the cold weather. It keeps me from being frustrated about not skiing.

Although on Sun at 7:30am I hopped in the car and turned on the windshield washers and the fluid froze imediately as it hit the glass. My heart skipped (I forgot about the fact I couldn't see) as I thought about my engine block. I think I'm fine. But, I started mentally going through my insurance claim...until I realized what a great deal it would be to get a brand spankin' new engine block in my 14 year old boat.

Footin
01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Ryan, you think it's cold in Cali??? Wait till you come to Ohio.

Ryan
01-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Hey Ryan, you think it's cold in Cali??? Wait till you come to Ohio.

My boss said he had the cold weather brought in to prep me for Columbus Fall weather. Let's see, who has the best DIY instructions for adding engine block heaters to every engine, in every vehicle I own. Well, let's leave out the lawn equip since the grass won't grow when it's that cold.

Ryan
01-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Nuts, I just looked up the weather. Tomorrow calls for a high of 30 and a low of 20 degrees with light snow showers. What have I done?!?!?!?

I guess I should stop complaining that it's going to be 64/39 here tomorrow.

Ohio is not forever.

Footin
01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Do you know when you are moving yet?

Any idea where you want to live?

Ryan
01-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I can move any time between now and the end of June. I expect the me there May-mid June.

I've been looking at Dublin, Powell, Westerville, Reynoldsburg, of course Pickerington, a couple of very select areas of Columbus, and of course Lake Choctaw. I'm planning a trip mid Feb to start shopping and primarily to narrow down the list of cities. Do you pay RITA?

WakeSeeky
01-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Ryan, you're moving? I guess that means we won't see you out here again this summer. :(

Hope it's for the best and, um, good luck with that weather. :rolleyes:

Ryan
01-16-2007, 01:20 PM
I should have kept the Where's Ryan thread going.

Unless we plan a trip in May (unlikely since we're having a baby in April) we won't be to Mead for a while. We my come back to go with the houseboat group. But I've really gotten used to having my own boat. It would be less fun with just one boat in the group, a v6 Fourwinns. It'd be hard to get people up at 5:30am when I'm not holding the keys. And others in the group are having kids, making houseboat trips a challenge.

I'm glad we had our mini-western reunion when we did!

WakeSeeky
01-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I should have kept the Where's Ryan thread going.

I should have kept up better, looks like! :o

Good luck with the new baby and the move. Glad you made it out when you did and if you find yourself out this way when things are more convenient, definitely give us a shout.

MMCCAR12
01-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Wakeseeky,
I Sent You A Pm Asking About Lake Mead.
Temple Bar And Echo Bay, Overton.

Mike

Sodar
01-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Overton will be gone soon :(

WakeSeeky
01-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Overton will be gone soon :(

The marina is already closed. I understand that for now, you can still launch from there, but they're moving the boats out.

WakeSeeky
01-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Wakeseeky,
I Sent You A Pm Asking About Lake Mead.
Temple Bar And Echo Bay, Overton.

Mike

Back atcha. :D

Sodar
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
The marina is already closed. I understand that for now, you can still launch from there, but they're moving the boats out.
Yeah, I heard that too. I also heard that all the docks are supposed to be moved to Callville and Temple Bar by Memorial Weekend...

WakeSeeky
01-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. I also heard that all the docks are supposed to be moved to Callville and Temple Bar by Memorial Weekend...

Yup. We have friends getting booted out and they're supposed to be moved by February 1. I've heard the launch ramp is supposed to be open all year, but I don't know for sure. Going to push a lot of traffic down to the other marinas. :(

Ryan
01-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Whoa! Why are they closing the marina? Are they just too far north and getting too little traffic/$?

Sodar
01-16-2007, 10:13 PM
Whoa! Why are they closing the marina? Are they just too far north and getting too little traffic/$?

The cove that Overton is in has pretty much disappeared. They were thinking about moving the entire facility out towards Calville, but the costs did not justify the means. Bummer is all the other Marinas are going to be PACKED! Also, all the guys with cool spots in the RV park are getting the boot too! Plus, with all the housing on the hill that they just approved, water levels are going to keep going down and traffic is going to keep going up!! I think the Southern part of the river is going to be the place to be from now on! Lake Mead is no longer the huge Oasis, where it was an unfortunate incident if you saw 3 boats in one day! :mad:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Nuts, I just looked up the weather. Tomorrow calls for a high of 30 and a low of 20 degrees with light snow showers. What have I done?!?!?!?

I guess I should stop complaining that it's going to be 64/39 here tomorrow.

Ohio is not forever.
This might make you feel better..I took this picture 3 days ago on the road....:cool:

WakeSeeky
01-17-2007, 11:50 AM

No, not at all, it's just politics. Yes, the lake is down but the ramp is certainly not inaccessible. The concession contract for the marina expired and talks between the marina owner and the Park Service to renew it broke down. It won't be long before we see a new marina farther south.

And WFT, no that does not make me feel better. I moved to the desert for a reason!! :D

Ryan
01-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I know I'd be more settled with the notion of cold weather if there were mountians near by for skiing. I have done enough homework to know that there is a tiny little ski hill 30 min NW of Columbus - maybe there 300' vertical will suffice.

Here's to buying a drysuit :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I drove a few hours north to get that beautiful weather..:D ....Someday I may get to be neighbors with Brieod and get that CSX & X80, but for now, until I retire...I get to stay where the weather is perfect and constantly changing...Keeps me from being bored with the same old everyday hot and sunny. I get to enjoy that one week at a time by choice.;)

The Right Kind
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I live in so cal also and was concerned about the boat engine.
But this weekend we were up at Mammouth, Sat morning it was -17 and warmed up to about 5. My car engine was fine so I hope the boat will be too.

Ryan
01-17-2007, 02:36 PM
I live in so cal also and was concerned about the boat engine.
But this weekend we were up at Mammouth, Sat morning it was -17 and warmed up to about 5. My car engine was fine so I hope the boat will be too.

Where do you ski/board? On water, that is.

The Right Kind
01-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Where do you ski/board? On water, that is.
Naciamento, San Antonio and a houseboat at Lake Powell

WakeSeeky
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I drove a few hours north to get that beautiful weather..:D ....Someday I may get to be neighbors with Brieod and get that CSX & X80, but for now, until I retire...I get to stay where the weather is perfect and constantly changing...Keeps me from being bored with the same old everyday hot and sunny. I get to enjoy that one week at a time by choice.;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't all think alike... where would we put everyone if we all wanted to live in the heat?? :D But I've got that t-shirt and don't plan to do it again, so I'm thankful for anyone who is willing to fill up the spaces where they do that winter thing. 8p

betsy&david Harrison
01-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Well guys, it has snowed on the west coast in So. Cal. My friends a bit north of us said all the schools closed due to black ice and over 40 accidents on the roads. Here in Ventura, very cold but the storm clouds aren't doing much for us. My orange and avo tree in the yard aren't looking too well. I spent good $$ on those trees and I'm gonna be hoppin mad if they die. :(

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we don't all think alike... where would we put everyone if we all wanted to live in the heat?? :D But I've got that t-shirt and don't plan to do it again, so I'm thankful for anyone who is willing to fill up the spaces where they do that winter thing. 8p
Well, when it gets in the 70's and above here..They shut the streets & schools down. We call them Heat index days...:rolleyes:

Sodar
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Way home from work... on Ramp of the 405 South at Wilshire Blvd... started to hail, turned to a snow flurry!

You can see the snow on the edge of this car's windshield next to me...

Sodar
01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
This is actually snow on my car hood and on the trunk of the Mercedes in front of me!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 10:48 PM
This is actually snow on my car hood and on the trunk of the Mercedes in front of me!!
WHOOAAHH...You better stop and put on the tire chains....:rolleyes:

Sodar
01-17-2007, 10:56 PM
WHOOAAHH...You better stop and put on the tire chains....:rolleyes:

This is LA! The last time this happened I was in diapers!! It is kind of a big deal!! :mad: :D :mad:

WakeSeeky
01-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Well, when it gets in the 70's and above here..They shut the streets & schools down. We call them Heat index days...:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, that almost made me spit coffee laughing. At 70, we're digging out sweaters. :uglyhamme

At least this latest storm hasn't hit here so far. My desktop weather thingy says we're already up to 40. :rolleyes:

WakeSeeky
01-28-2007, 07:31 PM
The boat survived the cold snap and started up just fine this weekend. Looks like our first and (oh boy I hope!) only winterizing project succeeded. Too bad the water was so crummy. :rolleyes: Anyhow, hope all you left-coasters came out of it ok as well.