PDA

View Full Version : Ebay selling tips

Leroy
01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I've read a book on how to, bought many things off ebay, any tips before I list a few things for sell?

For sure the old paint guns the kids have, RCA ebook (saw them selling for ~$125), punching bag and stand, then the softride bicycle, windsurfer, and on and on. May wait for spring for the bike and windsurfer.

How much time does it take, recommendations for length of auction, setting shipping costs, what is important, what to watch out for, etc.

Thanks!

JKTX21
01-14-2007, 07:50 PM
eBay is great to get the market value for your things, but you do have to pay a hefty fee (in my opinion) to do it. I have bought and sold things on eBay, and it's a breeze, it pretty much guides you through everything. You will probably want to setup a PayPal account if you haven't done so already. For shipping costs, I usually just set some arbitrary amount ($10, $20, $30) depending upon the size of the item.
Good luck.

Maristar210
01-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Many will say many things about e-bay but blocking negative feedback bidders (losers) and new e-bay members (scam artists) is important. I cancel the bid of anyone who fits this criteria. Selling vehicles costs $30 - $120 so that is expensive.

E-bay offers $.10 and $.15 day listing days on occassion. I save up stuff and list it during this period. I have sold hundreds of things on e-bay with only two negative feedbacks from retalitory buyers who could not abide by the auction terms.

PM me with any specific questions, if I can help I will.'

Steve

mattsn
01-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Be cautious of PayPal account. They charge heafty fees on big ticket items. I have sold boats, cars, ATV's, PWC's, etc. If you are creative, get buyer to call you and negotiate, or get a price that covers your PayPal fees.

Maristar210
01-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Leroy

E-bay is running $.20 listing specials....just FYI

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2007, 08:54 AM
Leroy,
I have found you will get alot more views on "fun" things on weekends, and "work" thing during the week. I suppose it depends on what you asre selling and your potential buyers having an opportunity to view your goods.
So with that in mind, running a 10 day ad gets you 2 weekends if starting on a wednesday or thursday. Yes it costs more for added days.
As a rule of thumb, I (myself) prefer to run ads with NO RESERVE and put it right there in with the title. Its a risk, but if I resort to fleabay, then I more or less don't care what I get for it.;) It's worked well for me...
If you do use a reserve, use caution about how you use it. I find myself and MANY others pass on an item if it has a reserve regardless if its less money because you just don't know.
Do some "watching" before you list, and see what your items are selling for from others. Because there is a pretty good chance others are selling what you have already, and you have entice your "victim" as some might call fleabayers.:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Pictures, pictures, pictures.!!!!!! And make sure you have the best one listed first to use as the picture for the main page listing.
A paypal account is good to use with a listing because I have found about 75% of the things I sold there get paid in this form. But I also suggest cash, cashiers check, and money order be allowed.
I have also had luck listing shipping fees in the ad as a set fee, say $20.00 or round up or down and use that, saves some headaches trying to make sure your buyer knows you are taking them for a ride profitting from the shipping. It happens!!!!
And let the buyer know, if all goes well with the transaction, you will leave them positive feedback if they do the same. Your feedback score is your "word", like or leave it...100% positive gets higher prices..
I even find myself walking away from any negative feedback seller, and I know dam well others do to.....

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2007, 09:10 AM
One more thing(for now), if you have some time before your clearance. may I suggest you get rid of some small ticket items first. Get yourself use to the "game", and get yourself some seller feedback. I think that may help too.

I prefer to sell some stuff locally, newspapers and such. But it's a no brainer when you can buy a device from a neighbor for $10.00 and find someone in Tennessee that is willing to drive for 16 hours round trip and give you $400.00 for it just because you know what you are doing on the internet. Then you can take your family, and the neighbor family out for a nice dinner and look like the hero and have a few bucks left over for whatever....It happens...:D

SD190EVO
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
My quick feedback after using eBay since '94 and selling/buying hundreds of things:

Things that are easy to ship (fit in an envelope/padded envelope) are the easiest. Something under a pound can be shipped anywhere in USA for $4.05 via Priority Mail. The Post Office is your friend. They have free envelopes and small boxes (one big enough to put a phone book in) that you can use. High dollar items that fit in a Priority Mail box are your best money makes IMO. If you know you can fit the $4.05 postage, you can put a fixed shipping price ($5.00) on your listing. Much much better than saying 'buyer pays actual shipping' or whatever - I almost wont bid on those yahoos.

7 day auctions are the best unless it is a very rare/collectible item that you want more folks to get a chance to see then go 10.

Best activity happens on no-reserve items if you can do it. The best things I ever sold were high-end R/C items. I would put a $100 receiver on eBay for $1.00 starting bid with no reserve and I always made out great. I would have no problem selling any R/C stuff with $1 starting bid and no reserve. Also, good motorcycle gear will always bring good money. If you have something like that which is popular you don't need a reserve and it just makes the bidding more frantic. I actually sold one R/C item for more than retail.

Don't think, 'I have a $600 Aria M/C helmet - I dont want to risk it selling for $50'. It wont, you will always make out good with M/C stuff.

Other things you'll find are not worth your time. My wife asked me to sell some 'collectible' plates she got in an estate. I looked at what they were selling for (nearly nothing) on eBay and factored in the headache of packaging them so they wouldnt break etc and decided to run them over to Goodwill.

Start your 7 day listings on Tue-Thur nights +-9pm (keep in mind the time zones). Most opportunity to get people staying home bidding on your stuff at auction close on those days.

SD190EVO
01-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Forgot one other thing and it is mentioned above. Make sure to do the 'gallery picture' that shows up in the search list. I think it's like a dollar for the 'picture pack' that gives you half-dozen pictures with supersize and the gallery pick. That is a good dollar investment. The rest of their marketing upcharges (bold, icons etc) I've not found to really get your money back.

Maristar210
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
SV is right boxable items are best but I have also sold 250# motorcycle motors on a fixed freight basis. What I have sold the most of is motorcycles. Probably in excess of fifty. I sold an old Elsinore to a guy from Kentucky who drove 8 hours each way to get it. I have sold junk bikes to guys in Canada (one mans junk theory) and a high dollar bike to Washinton State but still small items are easiest. I am fortunate we have UPS service here at work and I can use it so long as I pay the discounted company rate. I do know if you sell a bunch of stuff and take it all to a Mailboxes Etc. without packaging and so on you will take a hit. These guys exist on selling you boxes and marking up UPS rates. For example a 3# box to a zip 485 miles from my home costs me $6.85 through UPS ground at work. That same package is nearly double at Mailboxes Etc.

FWIW
Good Luck Leroy

Oh and Bob said you ski like a Shiela 8p :D 8p

Steve

wakebrdr142
01-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Make them good and take plenty. I agree with the no reserve. People sometimes see comfort that other people have placed bids on your item.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
I forgot some things...
Place your ad so it ENDS appropriately for your buyer.
Examples are:
If I were to sell a motorcycle or R/C anything I would want it to end on a sunday evening.
And
If I were to sell a lathe, CNC or milling machine..I would want it to end on say a wednesday at lunch time....
Keeping in mind, many auctions get the highest quantity of bids just seconds before it ends. So you want the buyers to have an opportunity to be "watching"..

east tx skier
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Some basic things, but ...

Take lots of pictures. Good pictures get bids.

Also, pay the $.25 and get the picture next to your description in the search listing.

I've never bothered with when my listing ends. Or, I should say, I've never paid to schedule when it ends. I tend to list things mid morning on a weekday. I know people bid at the end, so it certainly makes sense to work it that way if you can. But a lot of the time, they've got themselves set up with a snipe service to do that last second bid.

Also, be pretty descriptive in your auction, but do it in a way so they understand that you're just a guy selling something as opposed to the business who sells so much on ebay they can't even keep up.

I put this blurb at the end of my auctions. This may help you for what it's worth.

"PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE BIDDING. Your bid is an acquiescence to the following terms. If you do not agree with one or more of the terms set forth below, please do not bid.

All bids are final. Serious Bidders only. Non-paying bidders will receive negative feedback and be reported to ebay. Payment must be received within seven days of auction close or I will relist the item. Buyer must contact seller or make payment within 48 hours of auction close. Buyers with negative feedback or no feedback must contact seller prior to bidding. Seller reserves the right to cancel bids of buyers who have negative feedback.

No Warranties. No Returns. This item, although in excellent condition, is used and, therefore, is sold AS IS. No warranties, expressed or implied; exchanges; refunds; nor returns are offered in conjunction with this auction.

Shipping. I will ship anywhere in the continental United States, but if payment is made via paypal, I will ship to a Paypal confirmed address only (if you are unsure if you have a confirmed address, please make sure that you do before bidding). I will also ship to Canada.

Payment. I accept credit card payments or direct bank funds transfer through PAYPAL. I will also accept payment in the form of a Postal Money Order issued by the U.S. Postal Service so long as I receive it within seven days of auction close. I will not ship the item until payment is received. Actual shipping costs to be paid by buyer. Canadian buyers acknowledge that additional charges related to international shipping may exist. Rest assured that no handling fees or other tacked-on charges will be assessed. Insurance is optional and costs extra. If you want insurance, please let me know in advance.

Questions. I’ve attempted to describe this item to the best of my abilities. Please email me with any questions before bidding. Thanks for looking and good luck!"

Leroy
01-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks everyone!!!!!

As always more info here than the book I have been reading!

And yes I do ski like Shiela.....

Steve, I heard.... you ski like Pat, you know androgynous Pat :confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
02-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I was interested in an item listed on ebay, I had noticed it was relisted. So I inquired....This was the response....
Hello,

My account was spammed by a person asking a question on the ******. They took over the auction for the ****** and eBay shutdown that auction.

I am going to relist the ******. I will email you the link.

Give me a call if you have any questions. ***-***-****

This is a guy that just clicked respond and did not click HIDE MY EMAIL ADDRESS from *******.....:noface:

Maristar210
02-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks everyone!!!!!

As always more info here than the book I have been reading!

And yes I do ski like Shiela.....

Steve, I heard.... you ski like Pat, you know androgynous Pat :confused:

Your right Leroy. LOL

The most recent one I get is like WFT says... It reads "Hey I just saw an item exactly like yours for sale, take a look (click on link) Whatever happens do not let these idiots get this one by you.

mbeach
02-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Some basic things, but ...

"PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE BIDDING. Your bid is an acquiescence to the following terms. If you do not agree with one or more of the terms set forth below, please do not bid.

All bids are final. Serious Bidders only. Non-paying bidders will receive negative feedback and be reported to ebay. Payment must be received within seven days of auction close or I will relist the item. Buyer must contact seller or make payment within 48 hours of auction close. Buyers with negative feedback or no feedback must contact seller prior to bidding. Seller reserves the right to cancel bids of buyers who have negative feedback.

No Warranties. No Returns. This item, although in excellent condition, is used and, therefore, is sold AS IS. No warranties, expressed or implied; exchanges; refunds; nor returns are offered in conjunction with this auction.

Shipping. I will ship anywhere in the continental United States, but if payment is made via paypal, I will ship to a Paypal confirmed address only (if you are unsure if you have a confirmed address, please make sure that you do before bidding). I will also ship to Canada.

Payment. I accept credit card payments or direct bank funds transfer through PAYPAL. I will also accept payment in the form of a Postal Money Order issued by the U.S. Postal Service so long as I receive it within seven days of auction close. I will not ship the item until payment is received. Actual shipping costs to be paid by buyer. Canadian buyers acknowledge that additional charges related to international shipping may exist. Rest assured that no handling fees or other tacked-on charges will be assessed. Insurance is optional and costs extra. If you want insurance, please let me know in advance.

Questions. Iíve attempted to describe this item to the best of my abilities. Please email me with any questions before bidding. Thanks for looking and good luck!"
eastie - this is one of the best clarifications i have seen for posting on ebay. after having to relist an item for the 3rd time due to scum having winning bid and using hijacked account or buyer deciding not to pay up, i would like to use your general language. ok with you??

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I am almost entirely convinced there needs to be a new "prefered" auction site to use...:(