PDA

View Full Version : Throttle By Wire

landscape
01-14-2007, 07:06 PM
I am planning on buying a used 2003 or newer 197 this spring. I have noticed that the MCX 2005's have the trottle by wire and all of the 2006's have it. Does any one have any advice or preference between the mechanical or newer electronic throttle. Thanks.

TMCNo1
01-14-2007, 07:36 PM
I am planning on buying a used 2003 or newer 197 this spring. I have noticed that the MCX 2005's have the trottle by wire and all of the 2006's have it. Does any one have any advice or preference between the mechanical or newer electronic throttle. Thanks.

One obvious advantage to throttle by wire there is no mechanical link between the control and the engine to wear out unless the cable is damaged or cut. Basically the throttle control is electrically powered and sends a signal when it is moved through wires to a servo that moves the mechanical apparatus of the throttle body and the same for the transmission functions.

VTJC
01-14-2007, 07:43 PM
One advantage of TBW would be that you could install the developing Zero Off Speed Control Systems http://www.zerogps.com/ as its fine tuned. I heard about issues with 05’s but 06’s seem to be better, I trust the 05’s were updated by MC under warranty. I know my friends X2 was.

east tx skier
01-14-2007, 10:20 PM
The main advantage of TBW I've seen is with speed control and how fast it locks it in. One thing that I didn't get a chance to get used to was that I didn't feel feedback from the boat as to how much power I was giving the skier, which you can just sort of feel with the wired throttle setup.

Chief
01-14-2007, 10:23 PM
The main advantage of TBW I've seen is with speed control and how fast it locks it in. One thing that I didn't get a chance to get used to was that I didn't feel feedback from the boat as to how much power I was giving the skier, which you can just sort of feel with the wired throttle setup.

I like the feedback a cable gives you when fine tuning speed. If it breaks I will fix it, but I'm locked in the TBW world.

east tx skier
01-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Just something I noticed. I hear there were similar complaints on the early F16s, and they actually worked "feedback" into the stick. Seems that should be possible here.

landscape
01-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Another question I had was if the 350 HP MCX uses more fuel than the 310 RTP and if any one had a preference on engines. On the new boats I know it is about a $ 2500.00option, but on the used boats there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in price.

jmac197
01-14-2007, 11:41 PM
There may not be a big difference in the sale price, but there may be a difference in saleability. When buying anything used I tend to look for an engine upgrade. The thought is that the engine hasn't been worked as hard if there are more ponies there to draw from.

Chief
01-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks for all of the information. Another question I had was if the 350 HP MCX uses more fuel than the 310 RTP and if any one had a preference on engines. On the new boats I know it is about a $ 2500.00option, but on the used boats there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in price.

MCX is pretty decent on fuel. Work the dealer and you can get the bigger engine with little increase in cost. I believe the MCX is more efficient than the LTR engine I had with more torque, now for top end the LTR kicks the MCX's a$$.

Ric
01-15-2007, 09:40 AM
MCX is pretty decent on fuel. Work the dealer and you can get the bigger engine with little increase in cost. I believe the MCX is more efficient than the LTR engine I had with more torque, now for top end the LTR kicks the MCX's a$$. I'd have to agree with crosby's statements having many hours on each setup

mcx is good on fuel if you get the 1:1, but the slot will have you filling the tank more often when out at the big lake with the kids

tbw is really something that I like
I will say this, if you buy an 05 tbw setup and you want perfect pass, either make sure it's already on the boat and test ski it or figure on having a dealer install it. TBW Perfect pass is a super easy install but the 05 didn't have the provision for perfect pass built into the boat's ecm. My salesman had a fit reflashing my ecm and reinstalling update chips til the system worked right for slalom and for rpm mode both.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Have any of you with TBW ever touched bottom (sand) while driving (idling)? Is there is a safety that shuts the motor down if there is throttle applied and the prop is "stuck" even if it really isn't "stuck"...
In a cable controlled throttle you could power through it, but with TBW would you be pushing???

Ric
01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Have any of you with TBW ever touched bottom (sand) while driving (idling)? Is there is a safety that shuts the motor down if there is throttle applied and the prop is "stuck" even if it really isn't "stuck"...
In a cable controlled throttle you could power through it, but with TBW would you be pushing??? we got in some sand one morning at the big lake while idling. as soon as I heard the motor shudder, I shut it down because I was aware that we'd drifted into shallows. Trouble is, I cannot remember if it was the 04 team boat with cable or 05 TBW we were in when I did it:rolleyes: either way, I have idled into mud with an LTR and the motor acted as if it were going to quit. I dont know if it was a safety or not but I damn sure wasn't going to throttle up :eek:

MYMC
01-16-2007, 11:25 AM
In a cable controlled throttle you could power through it, but with TBW would you be pushing???
The system is not a "smart system" and doesn't have these type capabilities at this time. You would need to controll the transmission as well as the throttle before moving on to this type application.