PDA

View Full Version : Slot Car Racers....

milkmania
01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
my 9 year old son is wanting a slot car race set.....

I was telling him about my old electric set when I was a kid.

anybody got any recommendations?
what scale?

are they all made in Japan now?

Hoosier Bob
01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
I have a bunch of Scalextric cars. They are a blast! They even handle extremely well and are very tunable. Extremely realistic. Buy him a couple of more available models and you can go shopping for some limited edition models! I will post a couple of pics when I gety some time.

EO

milkmania
01-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I have a bunch of Scalextric cars. They are a blast! They even handle extremely well and are very tunable. Extremely realistic. Buy him a couple of more available models and you can go shopping for some limited edition models! I will post a couple of pics when I gety some time.

EO

looks like their supplies are endless on ebay

Hoosier Bob
01-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Milk,

Some day you will need to tell me how to post quality pics!:o

Hoosier Bob
01-14-2007, 09:52 PM
One more! I have a bunch oof these things!;)

milkmania
01-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Milk,

Some day you will need to tell me how to post quality pics!:o
nothing wrong with those pics!

good looking collection:headbang:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 10:28 AM
my 9 year old son is wanting a slot car race set.....

I was telling him about my old electric set when I was a kid.

anybody got any recommendations?
what scale?

are they all made in Japan now?
I'd suggest 1/64th scale. Good for kids and adults...:D (And you won't feel the need to keep them on display and you can actual use them..:rolleyes: )

Ric
01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
man I always wanted to race those when I was a kid! never did it though. I thought I was deprived but maybe my parents did me a favor because they knew I'd turn out like Hoosier Bob if I did!

mpm32
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
I was researching them for my son (he's only two so I'm ahead of the game)

The digital sets look cool. The lane change feature seems to add realism to the racing. Carrera and I think selectrix make digital sets.

Hoosier Bob
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM
They both have digital. They are fun if you setup the track even regardless of lane change or not. The cars run much like the design. The stockers/Trans Am cars are awesome but slower in the corners. The F-1 cars are very fast in the corners but the old GP cars you will have to drive! Kids play all the time WFT but with select cars. All of my kids have a car or to which ='s Winter fun! WFT I thought the "T" was for toys? Try these slot cars AFX/Tyco will not do after this ride. An awesome set is $130-$200 with some theme sets available.

http://www.scalextric-usa.com/scale_sets.asp

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
WFT I thought the "T" was for toys?You have it right....It's not for "Too nice to drive"...;)
I still have a 1/24th scale car or two from many years ago....The sad part is the track was thrown out:cry: maybe 20 years ago, along with MANY MANY cars. We had probably 200' of track maybe more and was able to create 4 car wide tracks, and LONG dragstrips....I recall the burnout box we made:D ... I do still have many parts from those cars axles, chassis, tires, gear sets, maybe a body or two.

Hoosier Bob
01-16-2007, 10:19 PM
Have you looked at them as of late? I would let the kids, and do, trash the 350Z drifters, Mini, and the Batman/Police cars. There are collector cars as well and those are for me. My next is gonna be the 69 Sunoco Penke Camaro. Blue and Yellow looks real! They run like a dream. The Boss 302 Mustangs really run! Anyway this is as close to driving a Trans Am Camaro as I may come for awhile and I can beat the kids!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Have you looked at them as of late? I would let the kids, and do, trash the 350Z drifters, Mini, and the Batman/Police cars. There are collector cars as well and those are for me. My next is gonna be the 69 Sunoco Penke Camaro. Blue and Yellow looks real! They run like a dream. The Boss 302 Mustangs really run! Anyway this is as close to driving a Trans Am Camaro as I may come for awhile and I can beat the kids!
Nope, I have not looked at that stuff in a LONG time. There was until recently a race track set up for those not too far from me. Its gone now, I guess I should have gone inside before they closed up shop.
I'll stick with the 1/64th scale, easier to set up and take down. Unless I can turn the entire basement into a race track, then I might consider getting back into the 1/24th...Until I get that approved, I'll stick with the throw aways in lieu of the realistic.:cool:

Hoosier Bob
01-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Just as easy weak stick! I have both and the Scalextric is easier than the AFX by far! Stop with the whining! You can do it!8p

Workin' 4 Toys
01-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Just as easy weak stick! I have both and the Scalextric is easier than the AFX by far! Stop with the whining! You can do it!8p
You have 1/24th scale....??

Hoosier Bob
01-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I don't know? They are probably close to that or 1/32nd. My brother growing up had 1/24th I thought. My dad made the track and used a wire tape for the contacts. I am beginning to believe WFT stands for WE Freakin Try to make everything difficult! Scalextric! Search, don't ask Hoosier!8p