PDA

View Full Version : 214 comments

Farmer Ted
01-14-2007, 02:14 PM
looks like this aint the boat for a boom, side window goes all the way to the tower mount, is there a tower boom for the new style tower?

nice cup holder on the right side of the observers seat, looks like there's one next to the driver also

lack of cup holders on aft of the driver would be an issue, why did the 197 get 4 on the motor box and the 214 only 3?

lots of places to "bump fuzz" :banana:

I guess ski storage is under the new wrap around seating, looks like its going to be a pain to get into with the big cushion

Looks like it will be a great boat, especially if you have a big family that likes to do lots of different things on the water

It would be nice to see some pictures, large pictures, of this boat posted here by MasterCraft.

JohnnyB
01-14-2007, 02:29 PM
You could probably fit a jump seat like that behind the driver's seat of most 197s......would be good for those that use it for rec....that's where we store all our skis, wetsuits, cooler, etc

Ryan27r
01-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Well I saw one yesterday at Midwest MC the boat looked great with acception to the graphic. But it looks like the boat is very functional and the sales man said the slalom wake is like the 197's and alot better then the 209

JohnnyB
01-14-2007, 02:39 PM
How much bigger is it than the 209 (Beam, length, draft)??? How 'bout vs. the 197? Are the 214 specs out there....guess I'll go look.

PendO
01-14-2007, 03:21 PM
you can get a boom that mounts to the tower ... I have one for my mini tower, but they make one for the standard tower as well ... the graphics on the X-14 are lame, it would look better w/ prostar 214 graphics IMO ...

erkoehler
01-14-2007, 03:28 PM
you can get a boom that mounts to the tower ... I have one for my mini tower, but they make one for the standard tower as well ... the graphics on the X-14 are lame, it would look better w/ prostar 214 graphics IMO ...

Have they designed a new "clamp" to fit around the new style tower though?

PendO
01-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Have they designed a new "clamp" to fit around the new style tower though?

good question erk, I don't know, I see what you are saying with the new tower, it is not just standard round tubing.

I think you are right ... so can you order one with the mini tower?

erkoehler
01-14-2007, 03:59 PM
good question erk, I don't know, I see what you are saying with the new tower, it is not just standard round tubing.

I think you are right ... so can you order one with the mini tower?

I think the next demo boat will be a 214....have to test it out.

As far as I know, the mini is NOT available on anything other than the 197/190.

PendO
01-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I think the next demo boat will be a 214....have to test it out.

As far as I know, the mini is NOT available on anything other than the 197/190.

hopefully it has the LY6

atlfootr
01-14-2007, 05:22 PM
looks like this ain't the boat for a boom lots of places to "bump fuzz" :banana: Makes one question, what the heck where the designers thinking?

erkoehler
01-14-2007, 06:57 PM
hopefully it has the LY6

For sure.....

SKI*MC
01-14-2007, 08:04 PM
i heard that the LY6 has been having some trouble with callebration with the perfect pass. The LQ9 was the same way, but its a completely new engine to be working with perfect pass, so i guess problems will happen..

BIGBADBLUE
01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Story I got from the MC rep was that there will be no boom untill fall or later. What the heck ... if it is a ski machine with a good wake should we have not thought about a boom? Kinda makes you go hmmmmmm. It sounds like you lose a lot of storage with the X-14 vs 214.

My dealer will not get one until mid-march ... guess I will wait and see.

erkoehler
01-14-2007, 08:07 PM
i heard that the LY6 has been having some trouble with callebration with the perfect pass. The LQ9 was the same way, but its a completely new engine to be working with perfect pass, so i guess problems will happen..

We haven't had any problems as of yet in any of our LY6 w/ PP boats.

Have almost 100 hours on an X-Star and 25 hours on an X15.

SKI*MC
01-14-2007, 08:18 PM
We haven't had any problems as of yet in any of our LY6 w/ PP boats.

Have almost 100 hours on an X-Star and 25 hours on an X15.

I actually talked to the guy that runs TT at the factory, with Chad, and this is what i heard from him. Idmar just hasn't spent a lot of time calebrating it. But this was also for slalom, where surges occur with it. You might not experience it because you are using it for wakeboarding at low speeds, and wakeboards aren't going to slow down a weighted boat that much. IMO

skisix@38
01-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I actually talked to the guy that runs TT at the factory, with Chad, and this is what i heard from him. Idmar just hasn't spent a lot of time calebrating it. But this was also for slalom, where surges occur with it. You might not experience it because you are using it for wakeboarding at low speeds, and wakeboards aren't going to slow down a weighted boat that much. IMO

I'm not disputing what you heard the guy tell you but, that doesn't make any sense to me about slalom speeds. PP is slalom mode just goes to a RPM and stays there. There's no hysterisis from the paddle wheel or being weighted differently and so on. Surging from trying to hold one RPM shouldn't be difficult.

Ric
01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
I want to see one.
I missed the boat show here and am not sure there was one here anyway.
Farmer, is that a storage rail along the port floor?

looks more roomy than those factory pics we saw.

Diesel
01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
:confused: :(

erkoehler
01-16-2007, 10:06 AM
It is a VERY roomy boat. I'll see about snapping some pics of the 214 at the Chicago Boat Show!

Sodar
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
looks like this aint the boat for a boom, side window goes all the way to the tower mount, is there a tower boom for the new style tower?

Don't most boats with towers have the inability to put a boom on? Don't they make tower booms as well?

Mag_Red
01-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Don't most boats with towers have the inability to put a boom on? Don't they make tower booms as well?They make them but they are set up for towers with round tubing:twocents:

Sodar
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
They make them but they are set up for towers with round tubing:twocents:
I got ya!!

MYMC
01-16-2007, 12:10 PM
There is more than one factory tower available for this boat...wait till Charlotte boat show:rolleyes:

BTW, I would guess that BI Intl will have a boom ready for this by summer.

DanC
01-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Don't most boats with towers have the inability to put a boom on? Don't they make tower booms as well?
Towers do not affect the ability to use a boom off the center ski pylon. The X-9 can run a standard double contour boom. The problem with this boat is the windshield's sides extend so far back that the boom mfgs will need to make a double contour boom that drops waaayy back (putting the skier/footer into the side spray).

SKI*MC
01-16-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm not disputing what you heard the guy tell you but, that doesn't make any sense to me about slalom speeds. PP is slalom mode just goes to a RPM and stays there. There's no hysterisis from the paddle wheel or being weighted differently and so on. Surging from trying to hold one RPM shouldn't be difficult.

If the boat stays at the same RPM it can still slow down, whats the point of PP then? I always thought that it went off the speed, because then it corrects it my noticing that the skiier has pulled and the engine needs to speed up so much.

PendO
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM

tj/ but I had issued w/ PP on my 06 197 MCX 1.26:1 ... worked fine for wakeboarding, but it would sugre in both rpm and speed (when pulling a slalom skier)... irregardless of whether I ran it in PP Pro or in WB Pro (the master module can be set to run either system) ... anyway, the shop ended up replacing the master module ... and it fixed all problems

east tx skier
01-16-2007, 11:12 PM
If the boat stays at the same RPM it can still slow down, whats the point of PP then? I always thought that it went off the speed, because then it corrects it my noticing that the skiier has pulled and the engine needs to speed up so much.

PP only compensates for pull in slalom mode if you have the switch installed. Otherwise, the only rpm adjustments are (1) it ramps up the remaining 22% of skier weight when the mag sensor keys on the entry gate and (2) it pulls back rpm at the 3 ball gate based on the user inputed SSB (second segment balance) value.

There's also an adjustment for a headwind or a tailwind.

SKI*MC
01-16-2007, 11:29 PM
are you talking about the PP switch that is attached to the pylon and to the ski rope? If you are thats what we use. we also use magents in the course.

east tx skier
01-16-2007, 11:35 PM
Right, the switch on the pylon. And then the magnets for course times (and the triggers for what I mentioned above).

skisix@38
01-17-2007, 08:50 AM
PP only compensates for pull in slalom mode if you have the switch installed. Otherwise, the only rpm adjustments are (1) it ramps up the remaining 22% of skier weight when the mag sensor keys on the entry gate and (2) it pulls back rpm at the 3 ball gate based on the user inputed SSB (second segment balance) value.

There's also an adjustment for a headwind or a tailwind.

Not exactly ETS, for a lawyer this is terrible consulor. The PP in slalom mode only goes to and holds a rpm called a baseline. Further, the PP will remove throttle to stay at that baseline. The switch will only add a percentage of skier factor when there is 125 lbf applied to the switch and it closes it's contact, and then removes that percentage when the switch is opened again. I don't know for sure on the gate percentage but, I'm convinced that only a few folks do know what PP does for the gate anymore.

east tx skier
01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Consulor? :confused:

Thanks for the better explanation of the switch. I've skied behind a boat with one on a few ocassions, but I'm not the guy who would be able to tell the difference.

The percentage at gate is either the remaining 22% of skier weight or 28%. I'm getting the numbers confused in my mind, but a friend of mine (Ric) finally got fed up and got the explanation from the horse's mouth. So I can categorize this as some good second hand info for 6.5 n/ng. ;) The explanation closer to the time I learned it is on here somewhere though.

Apart from the switch, we agree that it's just holding an rpm value. But it's not just baseline that's being held if I understand correctly. We have baseline + skier weight +/- wind factor + rpm factor + crew weight (and probably something else I'm forgetting) with weights being calculated at roughly 1 rpm per pound. Then, at the 3 ball gate, depending on what SSB is set at, there may be a reduction in rpm (I assume a factor of the baseline) to get a close second segment time.

Don't ask me why I remember this stuff. I don't exactly use it frequently.

MYMC
01-17-2007, 10:14 AM
I believe the term he was looking for is consigliere;)

skisix@38
01-17-2007, 10:35 AM
Oooops! I fault brain freeze! Counselor,

You are technically more correct than I stated, it is baseline + all that stuff and with the exception of Crew weight, everything is 1rpm for 1lb. Crew is something less then 1 rpm for every 1 lb.

You've got the general idea though, PP is just guessing.

Thanks for the better explanation of the switch. I've skied behind a boat with one on a few ocassions, but I'm not the guy who would be able to tell the difference.

The percentage at gate is either the remaining 22% of skier weight or 28%. I'm getting the numbers confused in my mind, but a friend of mine (Ric) finally got fed up and got the explanation from the horse's mouth. So I can categorize this as some good second hand info for 6.5 n/ng. ;) The explanation closer to the time I learned it is on here somewhere though.

Apart from the switch, we agree that it's just holding an rpm value. But it's not just baseline that's being held if I understand correctly. We have baseline + skier weight +/- wind factor + rpm factor + crew weight (and probably something else I'm forgetting) with weights being calculated at roughly 1 rpm per pound. Then, at the 3 ball gate, depending on what SSB is set at, there may be a reduction in rpm (I assume a factor of the baseline) to get a close second segment time.

Don't ask me why I remember this stuff. I don't exactly use it frequently.

east tx skier
01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, we had a snow day today. My counselor hat is at work. Today, I was dear ole dad.

georgea0731
01-18-2007, 07:25 PM
I went this past weekend. I'm sorry I didn't take our camera. X14 was on display. IMPO it's just an updated 209! I was told the hull is better than 209, more like a 197, BUT still not as good as a 197 for skiing. The X14 had very little storage and didn't seem real easy to get at. I originally thought the seat behind the driver was moveable to either side. This was not the case. It has a fixed base. It had the traditional walk thru windshield, not the step thru like the 197. No storage in the rear, across the back. The storage under the observer seat is also limited due to a plastic tank. Price MSRP was around $70K, but boat show special I believe it was only $62K.
I'll be keeping my X7 for sure.

captain planet
01-23-2007, 09:55 AM

nice cup holder on the right side of the observers seat, looks like there's one next to the driver also

lack of cup holders on aft of the driver would be an issue, why did the 197 get 4 on the motor box and the 214 only 3?

lots of places to "bump fuzz" :banana:

I guess ski storage is under the new wrap around seating, looks like its going to be a pain to get into with the big cushion

Looks like it will be a great boat, especially if you have a big family that likes to do lots of different things on the water

It would be nice to see some pictures, large pictures, of this boat posted here by MasterCraft.
Hey Farmer, I talked with the guy from MasterCraft at our booth about the X-14 and the issue about the window and the tower mount. He said that the X-14's that went out to the shows haven't been validated yet and that there will be room between the tower mount and the windshield for a boom to go through. Those boats at the shows aren't exactly how they will end up as far as tower placement so rest assured, there will be room for a boom.

kazzapped
01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
here's a bunch of pictures i posted of the x14 for anyone who hasnt had the luxury of seeing it in person

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/theguyfromplaces/Mastercraft%20X-14/

Diesel
01-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Okay so I have to ask. Why would anyone trade their 197/X7 for this boat? It's a boat of contractions…………………………

It's bigger but has less storage
It's bigger but seats the same amount of people as long as you like to rub knees with your buddies'
It’s bigger but does not have room for you cooler
It’s bigger but does not have a sunpad
It has a skier's wake but you cannot use a boom
It’s bigger and so is the price tag.

Like the CSX I just don’t get it :(

Ric
01-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Okay so I have to ask. Why would anyone trade their 197/X7 for this boat? It's a boat of contractions…………………………

It's bigger but seats the same amount of people as long as you like to rub knees with your buddies'

Like the CSX I just don’t get it :( can we not say the same about the new rage of crew cabs with mini cargos and mini motors in comparison to the seating and storage and power of an extended cab?

Ric
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
here's a bunch of pictures i posted of the x14 for anyone who hasnt had the luxury of seeing it in person

http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/theguyfromplaces/Mastercraft%20X-14/ Hey! look at pic 4042 .... nobody mentioned the X14 having a crapper on board?

G-man
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I say the seating should work out very good for surfing, everybody to the drivers side please

Diesel
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I say the seating should work out very good for surfing, everybody to the drivers side please

As long as you ride goofy :rolleyes:

BrianM
01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I think that those are the best X graphics going. Are they in the gel or decals? Also really like the embroidered MC logo on the seat backs.

Farmer Ted
01-24-2007, 06:19 PM
I've seen several pictures of the 214 and as I'm looking at them all the one thing that plays over in my mind is that episode of the Simpsons when Homer met his long lost brother Herb.

Who let Homer design this boat?

WIll it be available as a Supersize 197?

Standard seating with the sunpad?

captain planet
01-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Like the CSX I just don’t get it :(
Why can't you use a boom?

Diesel
01-25-2007, 10:51 AM

It's rumored the windshield is swept too far back and the tower interferes. I am sure over time someone will come up with a solution.

captain planet
01-25-2007, 10:54 AM
It's rumored the windshield is swept too far back and the tower interferes. I am sure over time someone will come up with a solution.
The solution is, once the boat completes its validation the tower is going to be moved back. Currently, all the X-14's you are seeing haven't been validated. I talked with a guy from MC that was in our booth at the Cleveland boat show about this very issue. He told me currently the towers aren't in the right spot and it will change. He said there will be room for a boom. It sounded like it was a rush to even get these boats out to the shows.

Mag_Red
01-25-2007, 11:06 AM
As long as you ride goofy :rolleyes:THat would be me!:banana:

Diesel
01-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Still looks like the window is too far swept back. Maybe you could use a v-drive contoured boom and flip it around.:D

Either way it looks like you will be so far back that the spray will kill you. Time will tell.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p122/theguyfromplaces/Mastercraft%20X-14/IMG_3880.jpg

G-man
01-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I just wonder if the guy or girl behind the computer doing the design has ever skied? I don't think it is completely necessary but I don't think the design was based on skiers needs but asked to design a pleasing to eye boat.

DanC
01-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Still looks like the window is too far swept back. Maybe you could use a v-drive contoured boom and flip it around.:D

Either way it looks like you will be so far back that the spray will kill you. Time will tell.

My point exactly. Sure you can build a boom to fit but the spray that far back will be killer.

kazzapped
01-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I just wonder if the guy or girl behind the computer doing the design has ever skied? I don't think it is completely necessary but I don't think the design was based on skiers needs but asked to design a pleasing to eye boat.

i may be wrong but i think they fell behind when designing this boat. therefore not taking all factors into account. thats just my opinion

but when i was talking to the dealer they were saying the wake is incredable for skiing (out of the x-series), which is why they replaced the x9 for it. they were saying the x9 didnt have a very good wake for skiing. ? ... maybe i dont know i dont ski

captain planet
01-25-2007, 03:45 PM
i may be wrong but i think they fell behind when designing this boat. therefore not taking all factors into account. thats just my opinion

but when i was talking to the dealer they were saying the wake is incredable for skiing (out of the x-series), which is why they replaced the x9 for it. they were saying the x9 didnt have a very good wake for skiing. ? ... maybe i dont know i dont ski
The old X-9 hull wasn't that great. That hull was based off of the Maristar 210. This is sopposed to be MILES ahead of the 209 and real close to the 197.

RobertT
01-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Looking at it again made me think that it would be awesome to take the rear seat completely out of my X7.

Have a seat cushion made that dang near covers the entire rear half of the boat, then a vertical one for your back to cover the gap.

Once huge seating/laying/playing surface in the back. Kids would love it, momma would love it, safer, and everyone steps on my dang seats anyway.

Could probably get it done for less than a thousand bucks, less than the taxes on the X14 and would be much more usable. Same seating space, just keeps the rear ski storage!

Ryan
01-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Fish Carcass - that's all I can think of when I see the X14 graphic. Let's hope they keep that the heck of the X7.

Diesel
01-25-2007, 05:02 PM
The old X-9 hull wasn't that great. That hull was based off of the Maristar 210. This is sopposed to be MILES ahead of the 209 and real close to the 197.

I think that's everyones point. The 209 has a more runabout style hull with an interior and features designed for skiers. Now the 214 has a skiers' hull with a runabout interior and functionality. Makes ZERO sense to me :confused:

RobertT
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Actually I have to disagree Diesel. It makes all the sense in the world.

If you could get Xstar room with a 190 wake and handling nobody would think about another boat. A direct drives seating arrangement has its limitations and flaws, building a record capable boat demands certain design limitations that the seating/etc reflects.

Its similar to wanting Ferrari handling and performance with Suburban seating room and comfort. How popular would a 21' long Ferrari with a third seat be? How about if you just squished it all in?

However, I just don't see how this helps. You cannot combine the two easily and make it work.

The idea makes all the sense in the world, but in practice hybrids are rarely as good as their dedicated parents. The higher your expectations are performance wise the less a hybrid of any kind will satisfy.

G-man
01-25-2007, 05:40 PM
Looking at it again made me think that it would be awesome to take the rear seat completely out of my X7.

Have a seat cushion made that dang near covers the entire rear half of the boat, then a vertical one for your back to cover the gap.

Once huge seating/laying/playing surface in the back. Kids would love it, momma would love it, safer, and everyone steps on my dang seats anyway.

Could probably get it done for less than a thousand bucks, less than the taxes on the X14 and would be much more usable. Same seating space, just keeps the rear ski storage!

Just more reason to own a 91-94. They had a sunpad option where you removed the rear seat and a sundeck went across. The best part was you could store all sorts of stuff underneath it like a wakeboard and cooler or a fat sack and still have walk around room. It is interesting how much changes in these boats that were all ideas that use to be in these boats.

Diesel
01-25-2007, 05:42 PM
A direct drives seating arrangement has its limitations and flaws, building a record capable boat demands certain design limitations that the seating/etc reflects.

But that's clearly not the case here. The limitations were self imposed by the designer. This boat has the potential to ski like a 190 and haul all your friends (sans knee knocking), haul your cooler, haul your all your gear, and allow you to effectively use a boom. In this case if you make a few changes and I think you could easily have boat performs like a Ferrari and hauls like a Suburban.

To me it's like they had no clear idea about the target customer. :confused:

Farmer Ted
01-25-2007, 06:37 PM

The 2008 Retro Kit will probably fix everything that was flubbed so this boat could be rushed to production.....

The windshield looks like it was pulled off the Vector Drive production line and slapped on after the tower was installed, should a normal Inboard style windshield find it's way onto the boat a boom would work great.

Prostar19
01-25-2007, 07:35 PM
I just got off the phone with Mike Siepel about the tower mount boom. It will work on the X14 and all MC's 2007 towers. Part #W209 fits the X-Star and W207 fits all other 2007 MC's, W206 fits 2006 Tower. The 2006 tower mount boom attached to the back leg of the tower. The W207 and W209 attach to the front leg of the tower. Moving you even more forward on the boat away from any spray. So when you are on the sort line you will be back around the back leg of the boom. The main issue is no more easy jumping out of the boat straight to the boom. Looks like a water start only. Hope this helps.

http://www.barefootinternational.com/

Farmer Ted
02-17-2007, 10:21 AM
I got to climb around another X-14 at the Arkansas Boat show yesterday.

The more I see this boat, it's growing on me.

This one had the tower mounted a little farther back than the one I saw at Dallas but I still wouldn't put a contour boom on it for fear of dorking up the windshield.

Met Chris Wingo and spoke with him for a bit, really nice guy.

MC Boats of Arkansas, as expected had an awesome display tons of boards, skis, shirts, stickers, and boats!

I would definately go out of my way (5 hours) to buy a boat from them or take my 98 back for service.

Those guys are dialed in!

Overdraft
02-18-2007, 01:08 PM
target market I think was me..

Overdraft
02-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Computer acting strange ....sorry for two previous posts. The target market of the 214/ x14 (x 14 in my case) was to have a great DD ski wake/ great wakeboard wake with room for the kids. It was important also for the boat to be able to manage chop on a larger lake - which we are hoping it does. I also wanted it to look like the 197 - which is does - I ordered my X 14 with traditional MC logo on the side. As previously stated, I am counting n the pedigree of the Mastercraft marque to deliver in that I made the commitment to a virutally new model without water test - to compound the risk, I ordered with the LY6 400 HP which is a relatively next power plant.

When you try and find all those elements (styling included) it seems to be the best of all the big three to bring it home imho. The only other one I sort of considered at the very end of my research was the CC 211 which although it might have done the job nicely, was really quite hmmm...butt ugly..

east tx skier
02-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Stopped by the TX Ski Ranch today, but no 214 (at least not inside).