PDA

View Full Version : wakeboarders ... shoreline

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 05:55 PM
This IS, what's left of MY shoreline :rant:

roddydog
01-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I know you can't answer this but WHY THE #U*( are they SO CLOSE!!!!!

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 06:07 PM
I know you can't answer this but WHY THE #U*( are they SO CLOSE!!!!!Good question.
Now that they stopped for the moment, I'll go down to the dock and ask 'em then be rt back to give you an answer.

roddydog
01-13-2007, 06:14 PM
OK I'll be waiting.

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I'm back and here's how it went down.

Considering there were 5-7 ppl on the boat our conversation went fairly smoothly.
After the rider went down and the boat went into idel, retriving the skier - nearly in front of me
I asked him why he was in so close to our docks.

He replied, "It's the only smooth place on the lake".
I said, "but dude you got the whole side of the lake to run on"!

He said, "everywhere else was to rough and that the rider would be hurt".
I said. "that's the kinda sport you can do in any kind of water condition, if your that good".

roddydog
01-13-2007, 06:44 PM
I call BS on their part. You are right, they can board almost anywhere.

Do you have a 'no wake' law on your lake?? On our it's within 100', kinda hard to enforce ourselves but take down their #'s if you have to.

wakebrdr142
01-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Only wakeboarders leave wakes? What about all the tubers, jet ski's, footer's who power turn, etc???? Oh, and wakeboarding is not a sport to do in rough waters.

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 07:03 PM
I call BS on their part. You are right, they can board almost anywhere.

Do you have a no' wake law on your lake?? On our it's within 100', kinda hard to enforce ourselves but take down their #'s if you have to.I agree w/ ya roddydog re: the BS part :)
Great point you raise regard'n the no wake law ... there's never been an issue until now.

I'll look into that first thing Monday morn'n w/ the proper authorities.

Most of the other wkbrdrs that use the lake who live here on it, board out near the middle so the rollers have sufficent time to decipate by the time they hit the shoreline.

These guy's trailered their Supra to the lake, (outsiders) I know they don't live here.

Leroy
01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I need smooth water for skiing or wakeboarding. WHy not put one of these 100ft from your dock?

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Only wakeboarders leave wakes?
What about all the tubers, jet ski's, footer's who power turn, etc???? Oh, and wakeboarding is not a sport to do in rough waters.Only wakeboarders leave wakes, like these!
There called T s u n a m i s !

shepherd
01-13-2007, 07:20 PM
This IS, what's left of MY shoreline :rant:

Are they damaging your property?

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 07:21 PM
I don't have anything against Wakeboarders or even ppl associated w/ the sport. In fact, I have and know plenty of wkbrdrs in the sport and close frinds that board.

What I'm against is the effects it causes along my shoreline :rant:

The photo above is only a pic' of the first set of many rollers that followed behind these, those either you nor the driver of this vessel ever saw after he procceded further down course.

peason
01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Could be worse. At least you don't have to tow your boat to the lake!

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Are they damaging your property?YES! :rant:

ski_king
01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
You didn't tell them about the 2 big gators you saw in that same area earlier today?

atlfootr
01-13-2007, 07:32 PM
You didn't tell them about the 2 big gators you saw in that same area earlier today?Good one :D
Next time, I will 8p

ski_king
01-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Wakes are tough on most all shore lines.

Is it actually any worst than a typical summer wally weekend?

At my place I have to put up with all the wallys as well as tugs pushing gravel barges.

RickDV
01-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately it is the bad apples in the crowd that cause lake property owners to push for more restrictions. They are getting fed up with the property damage, noise, and congestion. More and more lakes are going to no wake, limiting wake hours, and restricting motor sizes. As boat operators we are reminded to follow the rules and have a bit of courtesy for others (including property owners) on the lake.

Ladybug
01-14-2007, 01:27 AM

teddy
01-14-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree w/ ya roddydog re: the BS part :)
Great point you raise regard'n the no wake law ... there's never been an issue until now.

I'll look into that first thing Monday morn'n w/ the proper authorities.

Most of the other wkbrdrs that use the lake who live here on it, board out near the middle so the rollers have sufficent time to decipate by the time they hit the shoreline.

These guy's trailered their Supra to the lake, (outsiders) I know they don't live here.

When wakeboarders get banned who's next to be banned? I think education and respect are the better approach.

Wakeboarders are no different than slalom or trick skiers or barefooters they want smooth water to ride on.

Leroy
01-14-2007, 11:31 AM
For the retired gang I'm sure every boat other than their pontoon is a problem.

Atlftr; Does your lake have an active neighborhood association? Can this be discussed there?

atlfootr
01-14-2007, 11:33 AM
When wakeboarders get banned who's next to be banned? I think education and respect are the better approach.

Wakeboarders are no different than slalom or trick skiers or barefooters they want smooth water to ride on.Well Mr. Teddy,

When it's your shoreline that get's washed away from repeated wave errosion , one day you'll understand.

mitch
01-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Can you show pics of the actual 'damage'? all I see are rollers, geez, I've never seen those on a lake. Before and after pics would be great. You'll see some erosion on our lake, but at least on my lake, it's tends to repair itself. My shoreline shows no permanent damage in the 9 years I've been on my lake, and it gets frieking busy as he(( on the weekends. It's mostly wally's and the fata$$'s sitting on top of their bayliners seats going 8 mph 80ft from shore that cause the most churn, but I don't HATE em, or the slalom guys and and footers that blast by our place at 6AM EVERY frieking DAY during the season, up to 44mph, screaming when they fall etc. We all have to get along, eh? *and* we're lucky as he(( to be on the water, right? Looking forward to the before and after pics of all the 'damage' Not bashing, but I dislike seeing someone hatin' and painting with such a broad brush. :confused:
BTW, we're a mostly slalom family. 70/30

rstitson
01-14-2007, 12:32 PM
My son needs relatively smooth water to wakeboard. We don't own lakeside property but attempt to respect shore owners... My parents and my wifes parents both had camps on lakes,so both of us grew up on lakes, and had to deal with wave action on the shoreline. Don't remember either of them loosing part of their dock to it or any significant erosion. I do have an issue with shore owner believing they own the lake unless it is completely manmade as far as I am concerned water is a common resource generally starting in the mountains and ending in the ocean.

TX.X-30 fan
01-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Can you show pics of the actual 'damage'? all I see are rollers, geez, I've never seen those on a lake. Before and after pics would be great. You'll see some erosion on our lake, but at least on my lake, it's tends to repair itself. My shoreline shows no permanent damage in the 9 years I've been on my lake, and it gets frieking busy as he(( on the weekends. It's mostly Wally's and the fates sitting on top of their bayliners seats going 8 mph 80ft from shore that cause the most churn, but I don't HATE em, or the slalom guys and and footers that blast by our place at 6AM EVERY freaking DAY during the season, up to 44mph, screaming when they fall etc. We all have to get along, eh? *and* we're lucky as he(( to be on the water, right? Looking forward to the before and after pics of all the 'damage' Not bashing, but I dislike seeing someone hating' and painting with such a broad brush. :confused:
BTW, we're a mostly slalom family. 70/30

Very well stated Mitch everyone loves to hate wakeboarders. If my property was being damaged so severely by boat traffic I would invest in a bulkhead and sit out back and enjoy a cold beer watching the boarders trying to break their necks. 8p 8p

( All boats moving through the water create wake )

Farmer Ted
01-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm back and here's how it went down.

Considering there were 5-7 ppl on the boat our conversation went fairly smoothly.
After the rider went down and the boat went into idel, retriving the skier - nearly in front of me
I asked him why he was in so close to our docks.

He replied, "It's the only smooth place on the lake".
I said, "but dude you got the whole side of the lake to run on"!

He said, "everywhere else was to rough and that the rider would be hurt".
I said. "that's the kinda sport you can do in any kind of water condition, if your that good".

As much as I hate to say this,,,,,you need to buy a jet-ski for times like this.

When guys like this show up, take the opportunity to jump their wakes with your jet-ski or you could go out on the jet ski and work on your bat turns or perfect your looping figure eights.....

TX.X-30 fan
01-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Well Mr. Teddy,

When it's your shoreline that gets washed away from repeated wave erosion , one day you'll understand.

Look at Mr Teddy's profile (not a boarder) he makes a great point and nothing he said should have provoked such a tasteless response IMHO.

( east tx. may be right after all ) :(

jimmer2880
01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
I hate ALL people who buzz the docks. Many of whom are big fat oafs sitting on the gunnel while driving doing 7 mph 15' off the docks. Fortunately, wakeboarders aren't in the majority of offenders where I'm at.

Now that my rant is finished, you should really start looking at shoreline prevention because the waves will always be there. You'll never stop even 1/2 of the offenders. The individuals in our club have been putting stones on our shoreline for the past 20 years (do it once for your area & you're done for generations). Where we are, floods (especially the winter ones with ice chunks) will remove 20' of shoreline at a time if everything aligns right. Without lining the shoreline of the river with 5" to 10" rocks, we wouldn't have 1/2 the bank we have now.

mitch
01-14-2007, 01:46 PM
As much as I hate to say this,,,,,you need to buy a jet-ski for times like this.

When guys like this show up, take the opportunity to jump their wakes with your jet-ski or you could go out on the jet ski and work on your bat turns or perfect your looping figure eights.....

Jet-Ski? Tim, pull yourself together man:eek3: :D

JohnnyB
01-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Look at Mr Teddy's profile (not a boarder) he makes a great point and nothing he said should have provoked such a tasteless response IMHO.

( east tx. may be right after all ) :(

Sometimes folks read too much into posts.....I read the second sentence as fun sarchasm more than a serious statement.

I will agree that the typical wally weekend will create as much or more churn than a wakeboard boat. I don't believe in making rules/laws to ban boats or set ski hours....as someone else said, what's next, banning ski boats, etc.

However, there is something to be said for having a calm discussion with folks to educate them on the problems and dangers caused by being too close to docks and shores, and general courtesy on the lakes we all enjoy.

The lake we use has no lake hours and we are very careful to be quiet and courteous to others enjoying the lake early in the morning when we're out enjoying the quiet glass. Through mis-haps, at times we've gotten closer than necessary to docks or boats (call it <100ft) and ALWAYS go back to appologize. Most folks are very receptive and we've made lots of friends this way. Most of them honk their horns/wave/cheer/raise their beers when we're footin' bye at dawn or dusk.

bigmac
01-14-2007, 03:47 PM
About 10 years ago, my next door neighbor and his kids put up a slalom course in our bay. It requires a permit from the Sheriff. After one season there were complaints from fishermen and other boaters that wanted to use our bay (including recreational skiers that use our bay when the wind is from the north). The course was entirely legal, but the permit wasn't re-granted the next season. Hasn't been a slalom course on this lake since.

It strikes me that the issue here is irresponsible boaters who violate the law, not any particular group. IMHO, one should be careful about pointing fingers. Times change, attitudes change, neighbors change, lake associations change. Might not take any time at all before fingers are pointing at an entirely different group. Maybe your group.

tex
01-14-2007, 08:02 PM
I've told this story on another thread but it's worth rementioning. A couple of years ago I was at the Texas Fly In on the Brazos. We were hanging out on the beach inbetween sets when a boat went by on the other side of the river pulling a cat surfing. They were at least 200-300 yards away. The waves took about 5 minutes to get to us but when they did, they were huge! They rocked out boats to the point that there would have been major damage if we were tied up to each other. It made me think about my normal position on weighting down boats.

bigmac
01-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Now that my rant is finished, you should really start looking at shoreline prevention because the waves will always be there.

Good point. We get erosion here on our lake too. Lack of shoreline vegetation, muskrats, ice ridges, wakeboarders, tubers, slalom skiers, and barefooters all contribute. I guess it never occurred to me to blame any particular group - I just called around to price rip-rap.

shepherd
01-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Are they damaging your property?

The reason I asked:

Florida Statute 327.33 "Reckless or careless operation of vessel.--

(1) It is unlawful to operate a vessel in a reckless manner. A person is guilty of reckless operation of a vessel who operates any vessel, or manipulates any water skis, aquaplane, or similar device, in willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property at a speed or in a manner as to endanger, or likely to endanger, life or limb, or damage the property of, or injure any person."

Now, if all they're doing is speeding up the erosion of your shoreline, you may have trouble proving actual damage caused by their wake. Maybe you should look into some other measure within your control that will protect your shoreline?

tommcat
01-15-2007, 12:05 AM
i try to be respectful when boarding, our neighbors on the water are a ski club and we seem to get along pretty damn well. they often board behind my boat.
that being said, if i found that people were pushing to have wakeboarding banned in any way i would have to push for a 20 MPH speed limit and see how the ski boats and b*******s enjoyed that.

etakk7
01-15-2007, 02:02 AM
As a lakeshore owner, you should count your blessings. I own lakeshore property. With the number of boats out on the lake no matter how close they may be, you are going to have waves washing up on your shoreline no matter what, it is your responsibility to prepare yourself. By the way, how can you not be aware of what the restrictions are on the distance they can be from the shore when you have lived there for so long. If they aren't putting you in physical danger, I think there is nothing wrong with them being the distance that they are. Wakeboarders "need," er, want smooth water as much as barefooters, slalomers, whatever you are passionate about you are going to want to do it the best you can.

erkoehler
01-15-2007, 02:07 AM
I will have to agree, wakeboarders do need calm water. Until this past summer, I would have never known that boarders really did need the calmer water to be able to ride. After seeing some of the tricks and inverts in person, I was educated! :) There is no way wakeboarders would be able to land the majority of the tricks in rough water.

Get out there and try to do some of the tricks that they pull off behind the "huge wake boats" it will give you a new look on them.

I spent more time in a V-drive wakeboard boat this summer than my 197...had a blast and learned a ton! You'd be surprised at how much it really takes to learn to do inverts on a wakeboard!

Is it summer yet:o

jimmer2880
01-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Good point. We get erosion here on our lake too. Lack of shoreline vegetation, muskrats, ice ridges, wakeboarders, tubers, slalom skiers, and barefooters all contribute. I guess it never occurred to me to blame any particular group - I just called around to price rip-rap.

Call around. A bunch of us were able to get junk bricks from the local brick manufacturing place. Free - all we had to do was supply the transportation. After they were dumped, 3' thick along the shore, we bought in a couple loads of stone to cover them up to keep the "natural" look.

bigmac
01-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Call around. A bunch of us were able to get junk bricks from the local brick manufacturing place. Free - all we had to do was supply the transportation. After they were dumped, 3' thick along the shore, we bought in a couple loads of stone to cover them up to keep the "natural" look.Things are a little more complicated in Minnesota. All Minnesota lakes are state jurisdiction and there are a lot of rules about shoreline management . The DNR has control over the entire lake up to the ordinary high-water mark and they tightly regulate it. One has to get a permit, and they regulate the type of material used and what percentage of a homeowner's shoreline it can cover. Big rocks are OK, but they specify size. Wooden posts, retaining walls etc or other permanent modifications aren't allowed. Rip-rap is OK, but what they call "rubble" isn't, and they include "bricks or other construction materials" in that category. Likewise, permanent docks aren't allowed. A neighbor here dug a set of concrete steps down to the water and the DNR made him take them out and restore to "natural appearance" while the county zoning commision made him take the rest of it out. New proposed shoreline development rules control such stuff as far as the proposed set-back. On our lake, those rules would specify "natural vegetation" for 30 feet back from the OHW mark. They would allow me to mow a 4 foot wide path through such "vegetation" to my dock. Boat houses at the shoreline have been outlawed for years. Ones that already exist are grandfathered in, but good luck getting a building permit to modify them, or even renovate them.

Anyway, it's all designed toward decreasing shoreline erosion. It's not clear how much of those proposals will find their way into law since local zoning agencies can elect to supersede some of those rules, but none of those agencies have any proposals about what kind of boating can be done on Minnesota lakes. Local groups like lake associations or neighborhoods can't control that either - it would be against state law.

Ric
01-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Sometimes folks read too much into posts.....I read the second sentence as fun sarchasm more than a serious statement.

. If you comprehend much of what footr posts, you must submit a urine test to tmc immediately

jimmer2880
01-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Things are a little more complicated in Minnesota. All Minnesota lakes are state jurisdiction and there are a lot of rules about shoreline management . The DNR has control over the entire lake up to the ordinary high-water mark and they tightly regulate it. One has to get a permit, and they regulate the type of material used and what percentage of a homeowner's shoreline it can cover. Big rocks are OK, but they specify size. Wooden posts, retaining walls etc or other permanent modifications aren't allowed. Rip-rap is OK, but what they call "rubble" isn't, and they include "bricks or other construction materials" in that category. Likewise, permanent docks aren't allowed. A neighbor here dug a set of concrete steps down to the water and the DNR made him take them out and restore to "natural appearance" while the county zoning commision made him take the rest of it out. New proposed shoreline development rules control such stuff as far as the proposed set-back. On our lake, those rules would specify "natural vegetation" for 30 feet back from the OHW mark. They would allow me to mow a 4 foot wide path through such "vegetation" to my dock. Boat houses at the shoreline have been outlawed for years. Ones that already exist are grandfathered in, but good luck getting a building permit to modify them, or even renovate them.

Anyway, it's all designed toward decreasing shoreline erosion. It's not clear how much of those proposals will find their way into law since local zoning agencies can elect to supersede some of those rules, but none of those agencies have any proposals about what kind of boating can be done on Minnesota lakes. Local groups like lake associations or neighborhoods can't control that either - it would be against state law.

Wow - that really stinks. We are regulated by the state also - but nothing that severe. Sorry to hear about that. It must be extremely frustrating.

bigmac
01-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Wow - that really stinks. We are regulated by the state also - but nothing that severe. Sorry to hear about that. It must be extremely frustrating.Actually, it's not, and generally I'm a supporter of reasonable shoreline management. God only knows what kind of boat houses people would be putting up, what kind of erosion-producing landscaping, fertilizer run-off, septic tank leaching etc. I do get irked at some of the DNR's recommendations, like no more than 500 square feet of dock/lifts, but that one in particular is unlikely to go through. Likewise, there are limits as to what we can do with lake vegetation. I can cut weeds in the lake for 50% of my shore line out 25 feet into the lake without a permit, but more than that, or any use of a herbicide requires a permit. The usual solution to that is a broadcast aquatic herbicide applied in darkness. However, I have been told that the DNR occasionally uses aerial surveillance with infrared photography to observe vegetation growth patterns on lakes and they will notify a lakeshore owner if "unusual patterns of vegetation suggest use of herbicides without a permit. I'm not too worried about it.

Ric
01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Sometimes I just thank my lucky stars I'm in TEXAS.

bigmac
01-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Sometimes I just thank my lucky stars I'm in TEXAS.Personally, I prefer Minnesota, although I confess these 40 degree winters without snow pretty much suck. Most here would agree that 20 degrees with lots of snow would be preferable.

Texas is a fairly common winter destination for 70-80 year old Minnesota snowbirds. I don't get the attraction, but maybe I will when I get to be that age.;)

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 01:25 PM
Sometimes I just thank my lucky stars I'm in TEXAS.

AMEN BROTHER :D

Ric
01-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Personally, I prefer Minnesota, although I confess these 40 degree winters without snow pretty much suck. Most here would agree that 20 degrees with lots of snow would be preferable.

Texas is a fairly common winter destination for 70-80 year old Minnesota snowbirds. I don't get the attraction, but maybe I will when I get to be that age.;) I gotta better idea. You just let me know when you want to know the weather in TX.
I'll tell ya the weather report, you stay home, everybody is happy huh?

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Personally, I prefer Minnesota, although I confess these 40 degree winters without snow pretty much suck. Most here would agree that 20 degrees with lots of snow would be preferable.

Texas is a fairly common winter destination for 70-80 year old Minnesota snowbirds. I don't get the attraction, but maybe I will when I get to be that age.;)

They go to the valley slip across the boarder and get their viagra half price. :D

Rich_G
01-15-2007, 01:57 PM
in the very first picture on this thread it looks like they are wake "surfing", not wakeboarding. A minor point, but in wake surfing they are trying to create one giant wake on one side. The sport is growing and is going to cause more restrictions; some of the big boats a 4 ft wave with a trough and it's curling over at the top.

On my lake we have had no choice but to go with retaining walls. Solves one problem but creates the inevitable bounce back.

bigmac
01-15-2007, 02:04 PM
I gotta better idea. You just let me know when you want to know the weather in TX.
I'll tell ya the weather report, you stay home, everybody is happy huh?
I like my idea better. But thanks.

Ric
01-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I like my idea better. But thanks. You're welcome .

puck_11
01-15-2007, 03:58 PM
I am currently stationed in Texas, and I wish I had access to Minnesota's great lakes...you never realize what you have until its gone. Texas lakes blow...

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I am currently stationed in Texas, and I wish I had access to Minnesota's great lakes...you never realize what you have until its gone. Texas lakes blow...

Lake Travis, 60 miles long dam to dam, huge rock bluffs, emerald green water, cool to swim in even when its 100 out, wildlife all over(saw bald eagle marker 46 last year), flat water areas too numerous to count, secluded coves to anchor(kids swim picnic ect.) restaurants, bars, live music(on the water). :confused: :confused: :confused:

Ric
01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Lake Travis, 60 miles long dam to dam, huge rock bluffs, emerald green water, cool to swim in even when its 100 out, wildlife all over(saw bald eagle marker 46 last year), flat water areas too numerous to count, secluded coves to anchor(kids swim picnic ect.) restaurants, bars, live music(on the water). :confused: :confused: :confused: Texas lakes Blow. Current visitors are urged to please return to Minnesota as soon as possible.

Sodar
01-15-2007, 05:09 PM
I am going to send all the YAHOO's in California out to Minnesota as well! All our lakes here suck, so they should all just leave!! :D

Maristar210
01-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Footr

Aren't you the guy from last night standing next to your grill in shorts and a T-shirt drinking a Mickey's?

And I am supposed to feel sorry because some wally Supra guys rocked your dock?

Mmmmmm NO

(Miserably cold and blowing here)

puck_11
01-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Lake Travis, 60 miles long dam to dam, huge rock bluffs, emerald green water, cool to swim in even when its 100 out, wildlife all over(saw bald eagle marker 46 last year), flat water areas too numerous to count, secluded coves to anchor(kids swim picnic ect.) restaurants, bars, live music(on the water). :confused: :confused:

I stand corrected, Texas has at least one nice lake :) Too bad its the only one within a four hour driving radius. I guess I've just been spoiled growing up in MN where clean, clear, uncrowded, lakes are a dime a dozen. Didnt' mean to disrespect TX, just a little frustrated being down here and not having access to a nice lake.

And don't send the looneys from CA up to MN:confused:

FlatBoard
01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Don't hate the whole group just because of a few mindless inconsiderates. Not all wakeboarders act this way. My guess is they act like this in everything they do!!

dog paw
01-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Man those are paddle boat wakes:D You want to see ugly try lake Anna Va on a weekend.

I got a chuckle when someone said to get a jet ski. We did, now we have several. I don't even think of putting the MC in ugly water anymore. I'd never ski in it anyway. Now I just fire up the Doo hook up with friends and watch the tubes go round and round:rolleyes: I do sympathize with the waterfront owners. Thats not a easy or cheap job to keep a shoreline up regardless of how it is destroyed.

TX.X-30 fan
01-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Don't hate the whole group just because of a few mindless inconsiderates. Not all wakeboarders act this way. My guess is they act like this in everything they do!!

This was an ingenious ploy to isolate all the wakeboard sympathiser's and mark them for termination. :mad:

(Never believed that warren report either). :noface:

SkiDog
01-15-2007, 09:29 PM
Man, this thread is gettin' good!!!!!!!!!:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

bigmac
01-15-2007, 11:51 PM
I stand corrected, Texas has at least one nice lake :) Too bad its the only one within a four hour driving radius. I guess I've just been spoiled growing up in MN where clean, clear, uncrowded, lakes are a dime a dozen. Didnt' mean to disrespect TX, just a little frustrated being down here and not having access to a nice lake.

And don't send the looneys from CA up to MN:confused:

Apparently, Texas is highly underrated as a lakes destination;) .

http://wcco.com/minnesotaliving/local_story_169195504.html

Ric
01-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Apparently, Texas is highly underrated as a lakes destination;) .

http://wcco.com/minnesotaliving/local_story_169195504.html I agree with rodney, that report cannot be true. check out minnesota folks, its just better

mitch
01-16-2007, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Maristar210]Footr

Aren't you the guy from last night standing next to your grill in shorts and a T-shirt drinking a Mickey's?

Mmmmmm NO

(Miserably cold and blowing here
)

He's been very quiet;)

TMCNo1
01-16-2007, 10:11 AM
Look what big waves did to this shoreline,

bigmac
01-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with rodney, that report cannot be true. check out minnesota folks, its just betterWell, the satellite used for that "lake" count could resolve a 1 acre body of water. I'm sure Texas has a lot more cow ponds than Minnesota, so you're probably right.

Ric
01-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Well, the satellite used for that "lake" count could resolve a 1 acre body of water. I'm sure Texas has a lot more cow ponds than Minnesota, so you're probably right. Yes, verryyy muddy too. I wouldn't bother to make the drive if I were you

88 PS190
01-16-2007, 01:33 PM
I won't have peaves with boarders that control the direction of their wakes when they are turning around to pic up dropped boarders, and will empty their wakesacks for beginners etc.

Its only the guys that fill their ballast because they have it, and have riders falling all the time.

Though your tsunamis are tiny compared to the waves our lake will make naturally.

TX.X-30 fan
01-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes, verryyy muddy too. I wouldn't bother to make the drive if I were you

Don't forget the gators and snapping turtles(out of control):( :(

SkiDog
01-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Look what big waves did to this shoreline,
You're ALWAYS starting trouble!!!!!!:D

atlfootr
01-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Mmmmmm NO
(Miserably cold and blowing here)
He's been very quiet;)
Not my fault, you live in the trundra, Maristar.
And as for mitch, my quiteness is cause by large amounts of ( a real job) "work".

Monte
01-17-2007, 12:57 AM
I don't have anything against Wakeboarders.

That helps, but it doesn't make TT seem too inviting.. Just sayin

east tx skier
01-17-2007, 01:28 AM

Yep, all of them are worthless. I'll save you the trouble. Don't go looking for good water. ;)

east tx skier
01-17-2007, 01:29 AM
Lake Travis, 60 miles long dam to dam, huge rock bluffs, emerald green water, cool to swim in even when its 100 out, wildlife all over(saw bald eagle marker 46 last year), flat water areas too numerous to count, secluded coves to anchor(kids swim picnic ect.) restaurants, bars, live music(on the water). :confused: :confused: :confused:

No, you're mistaken. No such place exists. Nothing to see here. Move along. ;)

mitch
01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Not my fault, you live in the trundra, Maristar.
And as for mitch, my quiteness is cause by large amounts of ( a real job) "work".

Is that right? I checked and you logged in many times while this thread was chugging along. Nice try........I just thought you'd be here defending the 'wakeboarders are a PITA thing, instead of throwing it out there and bailing. Don;t work too hard today.....;)

atlfootr
01-17-2007, 09:46 AM
That helps, but it doesn't make TT seem too inviting.. Just sayinYOU FORGOT :rolleyes: to show the rest of my statement ... as I said.

"I don't have anything against Wakeboarders or even ppl associated w/ the sport.
In fact, I have and know plenty of wkbrdrs in the sport and close frinds that board".

atlfootr
01-17-2007, 09:52 AM

Farmer Ted
01-17-2007, 10:01 AM

what kind of campgrounds do they have there? sounds like a nice lake

JKTX21
01-17-2007, 10:05 AM
YOU FORGOT :rolleyes: to show the rest of my statement ... as I said.

"I don't have anything against Wakeboarders or even ppl associated w/ the sport.
In fact, I have and know plenty of wkbrdrs in the sport and close frinds that board".

Haha, that brings the thought to mind... anytime anyone has something negative to say about a particular group and then gets the backlash... the first response is ALWAYS "But I have a lot of friends that are XXXX..." :D

TMCNo1
01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Haha, that brings the thought to mind... anytime anyone has something negative to say about a particular group and then gets the backlash... the first response is ALWAYS "But I have a lot of friends that are XXXX..." :D

Skidog has a lot of XXXX friends! Just watch his "Brunswick Girls Gone Wild" video's!:D :rolleyes: :cool:

mitch
01-17-2007, 10:31 AM

of course, you knew it was coming :D

mitch
01-17-2007, 10:45 AM
That's right!
And frankly, you can keep check'n all the hell you want!

Unlike some, I don't live in front of my computer.
Once I log on, I may leave it runn'n for hrs on stand bye before I ever post again.

Yup, when someone paints w/ a roller I just like to see the reaction, or lack of, when the inevitable backlash comes..... nicely done.....:D

BTW-
'These boarders are a PITA' would have been a much wiser start to this silly thread...:rolleyes:

east tx skier
01-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Play nice, people. Play nice.

Monte
01-17-2007, 11:32 AM
YOU FORGOT :rolleyes: to show the rest of my statement ... as I said.

To be honest.. I'm glad you made the statement rescending some of the negative effects of the thread. All I was really trying to say is by singling out one major segment of the H2O sports, new folks coming in might think the board does not welcome them. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.. I have developed great deal of respect for many on this board, including you. I feel that your grievance should be focused toward the general lack of respect shown by some unH2Oeducated. Not Wakeboarder's as a whole...

Everybody on here makes a wake... heck in the whole scheme of things those guys probably need to see TT so they can learn the er's of their ways..

TX.X-30 fan
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
what kind of campgrounds do they have there? sounds like a nice lake

It is a beautiful place, The campgrounds are another issue. I think all are 1st come and the majority are primitive. Someone else may know of some good spots? We stay at lago vista in rental townhouses. It sits at marker 26, away from the big water around the dam. When there is water (low this past year) the pedernales river is only 10 mile run. It has some great ski & boarding water.

Harvey
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
It is a beautiful place, The campgrounds are another issue. I think all are 1st come and the majority are primitive.

There are no campgrounds on any lakes in Texas. In fact all you get on the lakes in Texas is rattlesnakes, brown dirty water, and country bumpkin fisherman trying to catch the state record bass. There is no such river as Perd whatever! :D

Seriously, there are some people out there who don't have a lot of common sense. Most of the boarders I know, and I know A LOT, try to run a bare shoreline. The reason boarders like to run a shoreline is this: If we run a shoreline then one of our "Tsunamis" disapates itself on the shore while the other goes out into the center of the lake where the wallies and yahoooooos are boating. This way the line that we are running tends to stay smooth all day. Now given a choice I will run a shoreline like the damn or one without any docks, which in Texas is easy since most lakes are corp run, however I will run a shoreline with docks and homes if that's where the smooth water is located. I do try to space myself as far as I can from the docks and shoreline when I do this. The further out I can run that line the better for me and for the shoreline. On a side note those people look to be wakesurfing which I would get pissed at them for doing in calm water. Go surf in the middle of the lake where you can mess up the water all you want.

FlatBoard
01-21-2007, 11:46 AM
It's all about when and where. I know there are fishermen out there who don't like skiers as well as wakeboarders!!

sand2snow22
02-12-2007, 11:43 AM
I think you guys are reading too much into this, the problem is that these guys are driving a Supra. Just ban Supra's and problem solved!! :D

atlfootr
02-12-2007, 11:51 AM
sounds like U have an infestation of Soups, over there on UR lakes :rolleyes:

sand2snow22
02-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Just trying to make light, actually the Supra guys bring out a lot of girls that look like your avatar, so I can't hate them. Plus, they have the water etiquette down. If someone throws rollers at anyone, they'll chase them down with the jet ski and teach 'em a little lesson!!

JKTX21
02-12-2007, 12:43 PM
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/JKTX21/ah-no.jpg