PDA

View Full Version : cover leaving scratches........

Jerseydave
01-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Never-ending problem, surface scratches from the cover rubbing the gelcoat. I hate to cover the boat while traveling, but sometimes I have to because of weather.

What's the best product to use to get rid of these scratches? Is there a better solution to covering while trailering?

Maybe MC should make these covers with a soft lining (felt?) so it doesn't scratch the gelcoat. (just a thought)

dpolen
01-13-2007, 05:51 PM
I've had the same problem with my cover on my Maristar...my only solution has been to just lose the cover when towing...I'd rather clean a little dirt than have to buff out some scratches in the gel coat.

I've used the 3M fiberglass wax that has a little bit of rubbing compound in it...cleans it up nice...my boat is a dark green, the marks from the cover moving weren't as bad to get off as Ithought they might be.

vogelm1
01-13-2007, 05:53 PM
You'll find that many others experience the same thing here. My cover has those ratchet things back by the transom...if I get them really tight, it minimizes any scratches. However I prefer to tow with it off now unless its raining.

For removing scratches, I've found what works best is 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound. You can use this by hand on a cotton cloth, but it will take some 'elbow grease'. Keep rubbing/buffing by hand (in little areas at a time) and keep going in a circular motion until the compound has dried and been taken up with the towel. It will take a couple trys to get 'em out completely. An easier method is to borrow/rent a circular polisher and use the Perfect-It on a foam pad. It's very easy to clean up the entire top deck this way. The only disadvantage is the pad will "sling" compound all over the place. I use some old bed sheets and lay them in areas I don't want it (like the carpet and seats).

If there are just a couple small areas with scratches, Flitz metal polishing compound (found at most hardware stores) will work too, but it comes in a small tube and won't go too far if you use if regularly. If you go the cirular polisher route, PM me your email and I can send you some pictures of the set up I use. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

TMCNo1
01-13-2007, 06:40 PM
We found out early when trailering over 25 miles or so to use clean old sheets, big towels and blankets over EVERYTHING and tie the cover down real TIGHT. I doesn't take but one 700 mile 1 way trip with the cover just on it alone against the gelcoat to teach you some lessons. Every trip we learn something new and we make adjustments. We have traveled over 25,000 miles with original MC covers on the boat.

tex
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Never cover while traveling.

east tx skier
01-13-2007, 09:01 PM
Never cover while traveling.

Second that. Get out the polishing compound and get to work on it. I'd rather take a downpour in the boat than trailer with the cover on having paid the price in elbow grease for trying it.

TX.X-30 fan
01-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Second that. Get out the polishing compound and get to work on it. I'd rather take a downpour in the boat than trailer with the cover on having paid the price in elbow grease for trying it.

I tow with my duramax diesel, took the first year to figure out what was all over the seats after every trip. We had to clean the seats every trip (not just wipe them off). What option is there but to trailer with the cover on? :confused:

tex
01-13-2007, 09:48 PM
I tow with my duramax diesel, took the first year to figure out what was all over the seats after every trip. We had to clean the seats every trip (not just wipe them off). What option is there but to trailer with the cover on? :confused:
How far do you trailer?

TX.X-30 fan
01-13-2007, 09:53 PM
How far do you trailer?

All over, sommerville,travis, lbj,waco. why? I just assumed the black on the seats was from the diesel.

Bye the way that martini sounds good.

Maristar210
01-13-2007, 10:27 PM
I cover mine in the winter for storage only. Otherwise maybe if its sitting in the drive and it starts raining but never when towing. Understand your frustration.

tex
01-13-2007, 10:30 PM
It's got to be the diesel. Where do you go on LBJ? We like to stay at these places.

Heart of Texas

Valentine Lake Resort

Opposite ends but great places

Leroy
01-14-2007, 12:36 AM
Is this good for the environment? I hope I don't follow behind you for long! :D

I never tow with cover. THe worst was after downpour leaving it in my garage for few days to dry out.

TX.X-30 fan
01-14-2007, 12:40 AM
It's got to be the diesel. Where do you go on LBJ? We like to stay at these places.

Heart of Texas

Valentine Lake Resort

Opposite ends but great places

We have done condo's and houses I would like to find a good place for the family and the boat. Do they have slips at those spots.

We really like lake lbj, the boys love it there.

Jerseydave
01-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone!

I just picked the boat up friday and had to trailer 600 miles, mostly in the rain. Plus the roads were real dirty from them being salted earlier.

The scratches aren't too bad (black gelcoat) so they should come out easily. I'll try the 3M stuff first and work my way up to more aggressive cleaner from there.

I agree on not covering while trailering. In the summer I never cover it, even in the rain. At least with the new x-star I can remove the carpet and some seat cushions to keep them dry/clean.

tex
01-14-2007, 12:52 PM
We have done condo's and houses I would like to find a good place for the family and the boat. Do they have slips at those spots.

We really like lake lbj, the boys love it there.
Both have slips. Valentine's have covered boat lifts. Heart of Texas is in a better location.

Not to be accused of threadjack-I towed uncovered to both places. No scratches!

TX.X-30 fan
01-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Both have slips. Valentine's have covered boat lifts. Heart of Texas is in a better location.

Not to be accused of threadjack-I towed uncovered to both places. No scratches!

Thanks Tex (any lasting effects from the Mexican martini's). 8p

tex
01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
They got a hold of me pretty good last night. I do feel fine today...cold, but fine! I'm ready for some cocktails and football!

erkoehler
01-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the advise everyone!

I just picked the boat up friday and had to trailer 600 miles, mostly in the rain. Plus the roads were real dirty from them being salted earlier.

The scratches aren't too bad (black gelcoat) so they should come out easily. I'll try the 3M stuff first and work my way up to more aggressive cleaner from there.

I agree on not covering while trailering. In the summer I never cover it, even in the rain. At least with the new x-star I can remove the carpet and some seat cushions to keep them dry/clean.

Where's the pics of the new boat?

east tx skier
01-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Grew up skiing on LBJ. Get down to my wife's uncle's place on the Llano about once a year or so. Great place. As for the options, see TMCNo1's thing about a tight cover and towels wherever the cover touches the deck.

BUSSTUFJ
01-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Your instincts are correct, take your cover to any upolstery shop and have them sew a felt or soft cotton lining inot it. It solves the probem.