PDA

View Full Version : manifolds

mrm2083
01-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I have an rtp-1 that i use in salt, it has freshwater cooling but the exhaust is raw water. I flush it with salt away after every use but the manifolds are getting real rusty after only 7 months and seem to be leaking a little. I want to replace them with eddie marine manifolds which are aluminum and have a 5 year warrenty in saltwater. I heard that they would void my warrenty, is this true? do i have any other options?

Also i want to replace my motor mounts with the crusader ones, would they fit?

east tx skier
01-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Are they leaking at the gaskets? If so, this may be a $12 fix. With aluminum and saltwater, there may be a bit more potential for erosion because of a term I've (at the moment) forgotten.

Ryan
01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Aluminum does corrode quickly in salt water, HOWEVER, as it does, it creates a protective layer of Aluminum oxide upon itself giving MUCH better saltwater life than steel or cast iron in the case of your manifolds. You do need to replace your gaskets from time to time as they become saturated with salt. Salt in itself isn't so bad, it's the way it absorbs moisture in the air or water and holds the oxidizing water right on exposed metal. Or you could go for a non paper silicone type gasket... but they have drawbacks too.

mrm2083
01-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Do you know about the warrenty problem? Also, ryan, I ran a search and i see you use your boat in salt. HOw long have you had it in salt, what problems have you encountered?

Ryan
01-12-2007, 07:22 PM
My boat is for sale, therefore it is perfect.

Seriously, though. The previous owner maintained some aspects of saltwater use, but not all of them. In the 3 years I've owned the boat I replaced my manifolds and risers because the previous owner did not replace gaskets. BUT, I don't have a warranty to worry about. The platform brackets have some noticible pitting and I have a new set to go on if I ever get the time. I also replaced the starter motor. Other than a bit of rust on the trailer it is totally worth the trouble to flush and maintain to get good water. Salt water is not the acid that a lot of people think it is. There are a lot of things you can do for preventative maintainance. As long as you ski/board and flush right away you'll be fine. If you hang out all day you will run into more challenges sooner.

I've been typing too much today. If you want more on good preventative habits, PM me and we can talk over the phone.

mrm2083
01-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Ryan thanks for the help. One last question, some people have told me to wash the actual engine with salt away after use, but others say i'm better off not wetting it. What do you do?

Ryan
01-13-2007, 02:08 AM
I do not spray down the engine. I do not want puddles sitting on the intake manifold. Now, if your impeller shreads and/or you blow a hose/forget to reconnect and get salt water sprayed all over your engine then it's a good idea to spray it down with Salt-A-Way. I do spray the bilge every other time out to keep salt residue/re-crystalized grains form acumulating. I know people that spray their engines down with WD40 or similar, but it gets grimey and I see little exterior corrosion anyway, so why make it worse? I leave my engine cover open to dry out though. I've seen salty engines that are put away wet and it's not pretty - rinsed off or not.