PDA

View Full Version : steering issue

madison
01-11-2007, 10:08 PM
this is a new issue that has come up in the past day, while in gear at idle and at a stop the steering gets tight. takes both hands to turn it sometimes! and thats not easy when approaching the dock!! but at speed you can steer with one finger!!

my guess is that the bearings in the rudder assembley are worn. does that sound correct? if the cable was worn it would hang all the time and not be affected by forward speed.. how hard is it to change out the bearings if that is the cause??

any ideas??

thanks!
madison

TMCNo1
01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
this is a new issue that has come up in the past day, while in gear at idle and at a stop the steering gets tight. takes both hands to turn it sometimes! and thats not easy when approaching the dock!! but at speed you can steer with one finger!!

my guess is that the bearings in the rudder assembley are worn. does that sound correct? if the cable was worn it would hang all the time and not be affected by forward speed.. how hard is it to change out the bearings if that is the cause??

any ideas??

thanks!
madison

There are two O-rings in the rudder port that can be replaced, but there are no bearings. The zerk fitting is between the O-rings and the grease lubes and seals the ruddershaft and port at the same time. I would change the O-rings, regrease and see what happens. Keep us informed. Others may come along and add to this, hope it works for you. Have you just greased the steering cable at the strut? If you put more than a couple pumps into it, it can lock up the cable till it squirts out!

madison
01-11-2007, 10:37 PM
ok I will take a look at that tommorow. the boat is in a boat lift.. im guessing I will need someone under the boat in a canoe or jon boat to hold the rudder so it wont fall into the water when I remove the bolt on the top? or is there an easier way?

thanks

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Agreed, grease all of the zerks! Steering and rudder. There may also be a grease fitting at the wheel. Check it out I could be wrong.:D

bigmac
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM
There aren't bearings per se in the rudder assembly, it's just a closely machined rudder port with matching rudder shaft. Lubrication and watertightness are maintained by grease in the shaft, and the function of the O-rings Harold mentioned are to keep the grease in. I would re-grease the zerks, then remove the rudder clevis from the tiller - see if the rudder binds when disconnected from the cable and see if the wheel and cable bind while disconnected from the rudder. I''d also grab the rudder and jiggle it to see if there's an excessive amount of play in the rudder port/shaft unit.

I can see a bad cable (probably most likely) causing binding at idle speeds but when the boat speeds up, the water flow across the rudder counteracts the binding.

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I need to quit drinkin', nice one BM!:D There aren't bearings per se in the rudder assembly, it's just a closely machined rudder port with matching rudder shaft. Lubrication and watertightness are maintained by grease in the shaft, and the function of the O-rings Harold mentioned are to keep the grease in. I would re-grease the zerks, then remove the rudder clevis from the tiller - see if the rudder binds when disconnected from the cable and see if the wheel and cable bind while disconnected from the rudder. I''d also grab the rudder and jiggle it to see if there's an excessive amount of play in the rudder port/shaft unit.

I can see a bad cable (probably most likely) causing binding at idle speeds but when the boat speeds up, the water flow across the rudder counteracts the binding.

madison
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
I should have mentioned that I added grease to all the zerk fittings a few weeks ago..
If it turns out to be the cable needs replacing, how hard of a job is that?

TMCNo1
01-11-2007, 11:40 PM
There aren't bearings per se in the rudder assembly, it's just a closely machined rudder port with matching rudder shaft. Lubrication and watertightness are maintained by grease in the shaft, and the function of the O-rings Harold mentioned are to keep the grease in. I would re-grease the zerks, then remove the rudder clevis from the tiller - see if the rudder binds when disconnected from the cable and see if the wheel and cable bind while disconnected from the rudder. I''d also grab the rudder and jiggle it to see if there's an excessive amount of play in the rudder port/shaft unit.

Thanks Big, I had a brain poot and forgot about the procedures you outlined to check out the system completely!

H20skeefreek
01-11-2007, 11:54 PM
The cable is easy to replace, less than an hours work. I should add, that not all of them have o-rings. In '85 they did not. You are right about having someone under to make sure you don't have to go diving for your rudder.