PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Tracking Fins Polish

Slinkyredfoot
01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
I was wondering what best brings back the original luster to the rudder, tracking fins and anything else that is brass on our boats? Got one of my brass props back today and it looks like new. Trying to make everything else look like as good as the prop...any suggestions?
I have seen a link or five about people who know. I am sure TMC1 knows.

milkmania
01-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I was wondering what best brings back the original luster to the rudder, tracking fins and anything else that is brass on our boats? Got one of my brass props back today and it looks like new. Trying to make everything else look like as good as the prop...any suggestions?
I have seen a link or five about people who know. I am sure TMC1 knows.

sic em Harold!

TMCNo1
01-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Can't speak for original ground or CNC finished brass, bronze or nibral, but professionally highly polished items can be brought back to full luster after being tarnished with (starting with hardest to easiest to use) Brasso, Neverdull, Magic Wadding, Flitz, Mothers Paste Metal Polish, BlueMagic Metal Polish and Tarnite. I have used them all of the over the years and use Tarnite most of the time with a buffer pad on a cordless drill, the wipe off with a dry towel. Same for polished aluminum too. But remember, the first time you put the boat back in the water, after about 4 hours the tarnish will return. Hope it helps!

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Like Harold said but begin with a light sandpaper, 500 or so. Then go through the motions above. Once you get home after a day of boating spray with "The Works" and rinse. Shine will last a long time and it will only take a cuple of minutes to return to form.:D

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 11:35 PM
This is the result after a bunch of hours in the water and next will be the kit you will need!:D

Hoosier Bob
01-11-2007, 11:36 PM
The "Kit."8p

milkmania
01-12-2007, 12:06 AM
The "Kit."8ptell us about your platform cover:popcorn:

oh yeah, you missed a spot....
THE WHOLE STRUT8p

Hoosier Bob
01-12-2007, 12:09 AM
I don't know, it came with the ride!