PDA

View Full Version : Why MasterCraft?

KCskier
01-04-2005, 02:19 PM
My husband and I are just starting to research for a new boat. Would like to find a top-notch ski boat for our cabin in MN. I live in Missouri now, but grew up in Minnesota and basically lived in the lake. I am relatively new to the boat market myself (have always skied behind boats of friends and relatives). My husband has only been skiing a few years, but he has fallen in love with the sport. And, we figure if we are going to make the investment, we want the best. I have started looking at various brands. Was wondering what you all thought about Mastercraft vs. competitors, specifically Malibu and Nautique. Any advice on which is best? So far I like MC, but wanted to get insight from those of you who own one as to what makes it stand above the others (assuming it does).

jayderwin1
01-04-2005, 02:48 PM
if i had to choose i would choose in this order 1 Master Craft 2 Malibu 3 Ski Nautique. If you look at used boats you will notice that you see alot more older Master Crafts than the others, older i mean like 15 to 25 years which means they hold up better than the other brands. if you and your husband bought a Master Craft today it would probably last you the rest of your life.i am 23 years old and i have no dought that my 1986 MC will last me forever. As far as water skiing MC is the king, there is no other boat that pulls like a MasterCraft.

gene dobies
01-04-2005, 03:05 PM
I was just at the MasterCraft factory to see my boat being built and the next day I had a tour of the Malibu factory and you can see the difference in quality and how everything goes together. MasterCraft is built very well, anything bolted is mostly bolted into metal reinforcements which are bonded to the fiberglass and then fiberglassed over. Bolts are lock-tited into the metal to assure they won't come out after. I had the opportunity to see on even the seats, the plastic is drilled and a metel insert epoxied into place and then screws or bolts gointo the metal and not directly into plastic as other brands do. I know a few Malibu owners and the main reason they didn't get MasterCraft is the price. The price does reflect quality and resale value also. If you go to the Malibu boat owners site you will see how often they mention MasterCraft and use MasterCraft as the measure of quality. I think many of them would like to MasterCraft owners.

bradamerry
01-04-2005, 03:18 PM
I have an 87' and know folks with mid 90's Malibus and CCs. My boat has held up better than theirs. I have skied all three and they all ski well, but MC just builds a better boat.

G-man
01-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Talk with your local owners about the service they receive from their dealer and the distance for you to the dealer. All three boats are great but without dealer support any of three manufactures turn to junk. This was a major reason I went to the dark side after having a MC for 11 years.

bradamerry
01-04-2005, 03:30 PM
That is true, we just happen to have a great dealer within 80 miles of us.

east tx skier
01-04-2005, 03:34 PM
I own a 93 Prostar 205 and have been very happy with my decision. It performs well for slalom and affords me room in the bow to accomodate friends and family. I am very satisfied with the build and performance of my 11 year old MasterCraft, of which I'm the second owner. While it has not been trouble free, most of the improvements have been predominately "want to do" as opposed to "need to do." My family has two MasterCraft Prostar 205s, my 93, and a 98. My brother in law has a 99 Supra Comp. We are a ski-only family.

That said, both Nautique and Malibu make good boats as well. I've ruffled some feathers here in the past by relating my positive experience last summer behind an 04 Ski Nautique 196. From my few sets behind it, I found the wake to be very soft and flat, and the pull from the gear-reduction tranny to be quite nice. My experience behind an 02 Malibu Response LX was very nice as well. But having not owned a SN or a Malibu, I can't say much about them other than nice wake, good pull.

The best advice I can give you is ski behind all three manufacturers' boats. Then, drive 'em hard. Ask specific questions about construction. MC often points to the fact that the glass is hand laid on its boats. What are the other guys doing?

In the end, while I'm convinced I've made the best decision for me. Another brand might be a better fit for you. If someone tells you otherwise, he might be trying to sell you a boat.

I hope you go MC! :steering:

jake
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
KCSkier: further to George's point, the Mastercraft dealer in Minnesota is Midwest Mastercraft in Crystal and the Malibu dealer (that I know of) is Minnesota Inboard in Excelsior. Can't say enough good things about both of them. Don't know who the main Natique dealer is, I think there's one in Ramsey.

Where is your cabin?

gene dobies
01-04-2005, 03:51 PM
MY 2005 PS190 is my second MasterCraft. I would say you could not go wrong with a CorrectCraft or a MasterCraft but I would not consider the Malibus in the same league.

jsonova99
01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I have a '91 PS190, and I can't say enough good things about it. :love: I am the second owner, and probably a lot easier on it than the first, but for a boat that was obviously used regularly for 13 years, 2 guages, a few original seat cushions, and a couple cosmetic blemishes are the only things that I can find wrong with it. The boat doesn't even have a rusty screw anywhere in it. If I didn't plan on restoring this one to near new condition, I wouldn't think twice about buying a new one. :woohoo:

rodltg2
01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
my o4 mc is my third boat, had a 91 brendella and 00 mb. brendella became old looking very fast, my mb eventhough built by brendell as well ,was a far better boat. neither compare to the quality of my mc. i use the my boats quite a bit , sold my brendella with 1200hrs and my mb is for sale now with 490 hrs. i am confident my mc will remain strong even after alot of hard hours. not to mention it skiis great!

Lance
01-04-2005, 05:08 PM
I would echo the comments above about dealer support especially if you are not inclined to do your own maintenance or are buying a newer boat where much of the troubleshooting / maintenance is above the capability of the garage mechanic.

I have an 87 Prostar and love the boat and it might very well be with me for the duration. Luckily, I have been able to do all the maintenance on it. The few run ins that I have had with the dealer out here have been miserable. If I were forced to deal with them on a regular basis I would have sold my MC long ago. In fact, I had often said that I would by a new MC when my first child was 7 years old but will likely not do that due to the poor dealer support (and the fact that there isn't really anything wrong with mine).

This has been my consistent gripe for the 15 years I have owned the boat (to be totally fair I guess I should say that I haven't actually been to my dealer in the last 10 years due to the totally miserable experience the first 5).

With a good dealer I would totally recommend an MC.

KCskier
01-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks everyone for all your help. I can see now that the dealer can make a big difference--something I had not given a ton of thought to before. Any other advice/information on MasterCraft vs. its competitors--Malibu and Nautique would be welcome.

Jake--the cabin is on Gull, but also ski frequently on Tonka when we are in the cities.

6ballsisall
01-04-2005, 10:41 PM
Order of which I would purchase in:

1. Mastercraft
2. Correct Craft
3. Malibu

I think anymore, all 3 of these are really good boats. MC and CC seem to hold value a little better and personally I like their looks more. As said before, alot of weight should be put on the local dealer and their service to you. When I get the deniro to buy new that will weigh heavy even though I am pro-MC!!

Farmer Ted
01-04-2005, 11:59 PM
KCSkier: further to George's point, the Mastercraft dealer in Minnesota is Midwest Mastercraft in Crystal and the Malibu dealer (that I know of) is Minnesota Inboard in Excelsior. Can't say enough good things about both of them. Don't know who the main Natique dealer is, I think there's one in Ramsey.

Where is your cabin?

Those guys at Midwest Mastercraft rock! I stopped in there to see what they had and spent about 2 hours shooting the $hit with them. I believe they are the ones who put together the Mastercraft/Malibu construction comparision poster you see in all the dealerships.

Farmer Ted
01-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks everyone for all your help. I can see now that the dealer can make a big difference--something I had not given a ton of thought to before. Any other advice/information on MasterCraft vs. its competitors--Malibu and Nautique would be welcome.

Jake--the cabin is on Gull, but also ski frequently on Tonka when we are in the cities.

My brother-in-law used to Captain the QE2, what a party barge!

H20skeefreek
01-05-2005, 09:16 AM

are you planning on buying new?

if so, here are MY feelings:

if $$ is not a concern, I'd look at MC and CC.
if $$ is a concern, I'd look at 'Bu.
if $$ is a BIG concern, I wouldn't discount some other brands. but keep in mind, if pay little dollars, you are going to get back even littler dollars.
if coolness is a factor, but a MC or a 'BU, CC's look wierd to me (nitro bass boat ripoff), though I like thier swim platforms MUCH more.

personally, i think CC is just WAY too overpriced, so even if $$ is not a concern i'd lean towards MC, though both make a really nice boat.

IMHO, 'Bu, right now, makes the best quality boat FOR THE MONEY. If I were to buy a brand new boat today, i couldn't afford a MC or CC. Thier boat's used to suck, but they make some VERY nice boats now. I also think that as far as Towers go, 'bu has them all beat, but MANY will disagree on that. They also have thier new Iride and Vride boats (very entry level, affordable). I haven't seen one yet, but seem to be just as good of quaility as thier other boats.

now, used is a totally different story.

if you are looking at '80's boats DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BUT A MC!! '80's CC throw a horrible slalom wake. not too bad for wakeboarding though. I think that the early-mid 90's MC's are the best boats ever. even better than today. not until the early 90's did CC make anything worth looking at, but the price has to be low. For some reason, CC's of that vintage hold value really well, so they are very high priced. Stay away from 'Bu till about 98-99.

east tx skier
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM
One other thing to consider, if you're buying used, and your nearby MC dealer turns out to be less than desireable, is that you can still buy MC and let another dealer work on it. My nearest tournament boat dealer is a Correct Craft dealer, and given that the nearest MC dealer to me can't even bother to return my phone calls, I give the CC dealer all my maintenance that I can't do myself. They treat me extremely well even though I didn't buy one of their boats.

So if you're not under warranty, just because you either don't have a nearby MC dealer (or they happen to be among the minority of dealers that apparently don't give a rip), don't let that stop you from going MC. Plus, as far as parts, there are plenty of MC dealers that are only a phone call away (and are mentioned time and again on this board), who are more than eager to help you with a parts request.

jimmer2880
01-05-2005, 12:36 PM
if $$ is not a concern, I'd look at MC and CC.
if $$ is a concern, I'd look at 'Bu.
if $$ is a BIG concern, I wouldn't discount some other brands. but keep in mind, if pay little dollars, you are going to get back even littler dollars.
till about 98-99.
If $$$'s are a concern, buy a USED MC instead of a new Cheap boat.

Ben
01-05-2005, 12:42 PM
KC Skier:

Please let everyone know approx what age / price range you are looking into. It seems that may affect a few things.

The market I was in (early 90's, ~15+K $$) really led me to MC, although I was pretty partial to begin with. From what I found, 'bu didn't structurally or aestetically get their act together until the mid to late 90's. And there weren't a lot of CC's in the area (mainly MC & 'bu where I'm at), and their open bows weren't too appealing.

I am perfectly happy with my '94 205. That being said, my next MC boat would probably be a 197, for better skiing, and we don't use the open bow too much yet (no kids yet). However, I would also consider other brands, but would know a lot more what to look for now. I have friends with '01 & '04 CC 196's and a '99 'bu response. All are good boats, the '99 bu w/monsoon & 4 blade will rip your arms out. However, it is hard for me to hold on the transom & jump in the water with the ski on, since the transom is lower than mine. That is one example, everyone has their own quirks, so drive / ski as much as you can. If you are testing a CC, mention you are looking at other brands to see what the seller says about that.

The dealer service thing may also be important, I do all my own, so I don't really care, other than an occasional part. That depends on the individual.

Good luck and get ready for a good summer...

bonedoc
01-05-2005, 01:00 PM
After owning several other boats, I can honestly say the performance and quality are better than anyone elses, and the ride is more solid and quieter. After a few warranty issues, I can also say that Mastercraft does hold their boats to a higher standard in regards to the way they resolved any after-purchase issues I had with the boat. Of course as already stated, a dealer can make or break an ownership experience even on the best built products, and mine is exceptional. It would be nice if they caught up a bit in some of the "luxury" conveniences that companies like Malibu put in their boats as standerd equipment, but the quality quickly outweighs the lack of extra netting for storage/drying stuff. Mastercraft will never leave you regretting your purchase........that's been my experience.

SD190EVO
01-05-2005, 02:08 PM
I am on my third one if generating 'brand loyalty' means anything.

Footin
01-05-2005, 02:17 PM
I am on my third MC also; however I keep buying them because I have so many tshirts and other items that say Mastercraft!

Seriously, I have looked at others and keep coming back to MC.

Brent
01-05-2005, 05:43 PM

lakes Rick
01-05-2005, 05:49 PM
After owning several other boats, I can honestly say the performance and quality are better than anyone elses, and the ride is more solid and quieter. After a few warranty issues, I can also say that Mastercraft does hold their boats to a higher standard in regards to the way they resolved any after-purchase issues I had with the boat. Of course as already stated, a dealer can make or break an ownership experience even on the best built products, and mine is exceptional. It would be nice if they caught up a bit in some of the "luxury" conveniences that companies like Malibu put in their boats as standerd equipment, but the quality quickly outweighs the lack of extra netting for storage/drying stuff. Mastercraft will never leave you regretting your purchase........that's been my experience.

Bonedc.. Didn't your EX get the boat???? Just stirring the pot...

bradamerry
01-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Bonedc.. Didn't your EX get the boat???? Just stirring the pot...

Rick are you rubing that in :confused: , since your EX didn't get the boat? Nice boat name to Rick :uglyhamme !

Professor
01-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Just curious...how many boats are built each year by MC, CC, BU, etc?

André
01-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Those are Top Secret numbers i beleive...But i think right now the sales numbers must be Malibu,MasterCraft ,Correct Craft.
ICBW on those first two!

NeilM
01-05-2005, 10:51 PM
The numbers of boats sold in the USA for each are published every year -- I think I have a trade rag somewhere with the numbers, but André has the order of the top 3 correct. {In fact, I think I had a thread here with the 2003 sales in it...} I have yet to find an article that lists total built every year in every facility..

André
01-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Neil
Is that thin set dry yet?

Vern Swieringa
01-05-2005, 11:32 PM
The main thing I considered before purchasing our 2003 MC 230 was resale. I wanted to know that in a few years I wasn't going to loose my shirt. My dealer (Action Water Sports/super dealership!!!) pulled some old invoices and showed me the retail of boats they sold 5-6 years ago. I compared those prices to what I saw on Boattradder.com and was very impressed. :woohoo:

dmac
01-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Just curious...how many boats are built each year by MC, CC, BU, etc?
I think I read in the Star Mag that they build @ 3,000 boats a year. There was a number provided in the piece on the plant manager.

KC, you have gotten a lot of feedback to your opening question. From my perspective, I knew on the front end that I wanted a MasterCraft, specifically a MariStar. I had seen several on the water over the summer and had been on a buddy's ProStar. From that experience I was dead set on MC.

I found the boat I wanted at the dealership and this is where I will echo others who have responded. Your dealer has to be strong. I was (and still am) unhappy with the way that the delivery process was handled. I have been corresponding with them and MC about it. I think that when you buy a $50k boat they should roll out the red carpet instead of making sure that I give them an excellent rating on the follow-up survey I was going to receive.

I am setting the sales department aside and will allow the service department to be the factor that determines future business with them and referrals as well. So far, so good.

The boat itself is top shelf. I can't wait for spring. It is everything I wanted and more.

I'm done, thanks for listening.

aprgriggs
01-06-2005, 11:09 AM
i looked at everything and bought a MC. I'm glad I did. The boat is solid and I think the other brands I looked at felt cheep. Spend the money, you will be glad you did.

Also, resell on a MC is great. So don't worry, you could probably sell it if you needed to.

Good Luck

east tx skier
01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
So, April, did you sell your boat? Have you gotten your new one yet? If so, let's see some pics!

ski36short
01-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Vern those prices didn't give you sticker shock on the new ones? I bought my 99 for what a two-year old boat goes for now! I have probably bought my last new boat. I can't justify $45k for a new ski boat!!

Vern Swieringa
01-06-2005, 02:19 PM
ski36, No doubt, new boats are not cheap. However, my 230 was a factory demo with 35 hours on it and came with new boat warranty. As I look on Boattrader today. The prices for a 2003's are making me feel pretty good that I made the right choice.

jj209
01-06-2005, 03:16 PM
When I purchased my 02' Prostar 209 it was only the 2nd boat I ever owned, the first a 17' Four Winns I/O. I had been in and skiied behind a buddies 1999 Prostar 190, but was not impressed w/ the finish. My girls were getting to skiing age, so I talked my wife into looking at true ski boats. We visited the dealer who had the 209 we purchased on the showroom floor. After sitting inside of it for almost 3 hrs, we couldn't help but fall in love. What I like most about the boat is the finish, top to bottom, no one can compare to MC. The interior vinyl is incredible, cushions are comfortable and stand-up. And the engines cannot be beat (I would love to hear mine running right now but am burried under 14" of snow). We vacation in MN every year and as far as I'm concerned as many lakes as there are up there, there are certainly not enough MC's. So do us all a favor, put another one on the lake Up North. You will not be disappointed. If you are looking for room and skiiability I recommend a 209. I wouldn't trade mine for any other boat. I'll own mine till I die.

edwin
01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
I owned a 98 Sammy Duvall PS190 for almost 3 seasons, have had my Malibu Sunsetter LXi for over 4 seasons so far. Here's my thoughts, hope this helps:
Pro's
The fit and finish of my PS190 was outstanding. The gelcoat was beautiful, almost got too slick when waxed. Held value pretty well.

Con's
Slalom wake was fair...absolute crime for MC to charge for the hyrdorail upgrade to help fix the wake. Dealer I bought boat was dropped by MC, went to a dealer that sold / serviced boats in the evening after he completed his 9-5 job elsewhere.

Sold that, bought my Malibu.

Observations on my 'bu vs MC - the fit and finish is a notch higher on the MC. MC using lock nuts on all through bolts is nice. Layout of the interior of my Malibu is equal in my eyes to the 209. My Malibu has a bigger rear trunk. After 4.5 seasons, mine still performs as new. Appears that the boat has continued to hold it's value quite well also.

Biggest difference for me (28' - 32' off, 34mph skier) is the performance of the boat. Holeshot is much better behind the Malibu. Top speed is also better, not an issue unless you barefoot (which I do). Most important - the wake quality of my SLXi is as good as it gets for a 21' boat. Check the Waterski Mag boat buyers guide over the past 4 years if you care to dispute these facts.

Some dislike the Malibu Wedge. For me, it's perfect. Boarding is the last thing I'll do for the day. Drop the wedge in 10 seconds, put it back up in 10 seconds. I'm intermediate level at best.

Finally, I prefer the nimble handline of my Malibu over the 209. The 209 seems to be penalized by it's wider beam.

I can't compare v-drives as I have little experience with them. For the family size ski boat, I can't find a better boat for me than my Malibu. I've heard great things about the wake quality of the MC wakeboard boats. That, coupled with the great build quality, should make the MC board boat a winner.

Any of the top 3 make a great boat, each has it's own feel. As mentioned, the dealer cannot be discounted. Not everyone will have a trouble free boat, even a MC. I seem to recall reading stories here from folks with major issues... one being a 35th Anniv. PS197 that was back to the factory for ????, a recent poster with issues on the gelcoat blistering, etc. A supportive dealer can be a huge asset, regardless of the brand you buy.

Good luck

AbunDiga909
01-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I apologize if I'm posting on the wrong site, but I'd like to share my oppinion.

Sorry again if this is stating the obvious, but if you post this question on this site, you are obviously going get get responces to go with the MC. You won't get all the reasons why you should go with a BU or CC. Try posting this on MBO or PlanetNautique.com and see what they have to say.

Now from personal experience, and being a diehard CC fan, take what I have to say with a grain of salt. My friend has an '00 205V. The whole side panal where the throttle is has almost fallen off, you have to hold it up sometimes. Every cushion is tearing and needs to be replaced. The tower (good they've changed this now) shakes much and feels like it is going to crash down on us every time we go over a relatively large wake. Mechanical problems such as the relay not working and normal start-up problems keep us from going on his boat many times.

Now I could go on and on why I like my CC better, but then I will be hated and seem biast... ;) Best thing to do is to test drive them both, and see for yourself which you like better when it comes to handling, wake characteristics, company reputation, and quality. And maybe post this on PlanetNautique, I'm sure we would have some things to say about why you should consider a Nautique.

jkpierce
01-07-2005, 12:39 AM
I own a 99 205V and totally agree with the side panal problem and shaky tower. Runs, drives and rides great, Just wondering about build quality of my '99 vs slightly newer Sante.

east tx skier
01-07-2005, 11:49 AM
I'd iterate that the last thing you should do is buy a boat of this price without skiing behind/driving the competition. As AD909 notes, if you ask the question on a MC board, the majority will tell you to get a MC. Go to planet nautique, the answer will be CC. Drive it. Then decide.

Ric
01-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Ya, I don't lurk those other boards, but the bias on each is a given.

My experience has been that the look, the trailers and the price (in that order) turned me off to cc and I am quite confident that they are good boats. Skiing behind MC & CC in the 80's, I could tell you night and day difference between the two in favor of MC, but I don't think the wakes are all that different between each brand's current models.

If you are a pro, you not only have to be able to ski well behind all three, but you will certainly be able to tell the difference between the three as well.

Why MC? For ME it's the warranty support, the way an MC ski's and Drives and the appearance, and the fact that a quality trailer is part of the deal and part of the same warranty. You MUST ski and drive a pull before you will ever know what's right for you, no matter how they look to you or what their price is.

When you step outside the main 3 brands, you will notice noise, vibration and other issues which may not be a big deal to your family but definitely play into the difference.

edwin
01-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Ric brought up a great point, one I forgot to mention in my review. The trailer under my PS190 was a work of art. Pulled great, loaded great, fit and finish was perfect.

Clearly on par with the trailers I see from Extreme out on the west coast.

OhioProstar
01-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Seriously folks, does anyone have an opinion :)

MC and CC are the top of the heap for function, reliability, and market value. I have owned both and compare(d) all the others and really it comes down to MC or CC being the best made, best backed boats in the industry. I am sure there are value equations you can run against BU, Tige, and Supra but when it comes down to selling the one you have later in life you will be glad you bought the BMW or Mercedes rather than a Honda or Toyota. Just MHO.

KCskier
01-09-2005, 02:02 AM
Again, thanks for all the great advice. I have been overwhelmed with great information and feedback.

I went to the KC Sportshow this week and saw both MCs and Malibus. I really liked the MCs, especially the X-series. But you are all right in saying that it makes sense to get behind the boats to test them, as it seems somewhat difficult to pick out the differences when looking at them from the outside alone.

My husband and I were talking to another couple who went to the show with us. The were intrigued by our passion for boating, unsure how someone could justify dropping $50,000+ on a boat. They said they must not "get it". I thought the whole gap between those who understand the passion of boating and those who don't was interesting. Was difficult to explain why we would want to make such an investment (i.e. a MC) in a boat. Thought I would post it just to see what you all think. What is the justification? What makes it worth it? I know why for me, but for all of you, curious to know, what is being out on the water about for you and how would you explain it to friends who thought you were crazy to spend so much on a boat?

H20skeefreek
01-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Again, thanks for all the great advice. I have been overwhelmed with great information and feedback.

I went to the KC Sportshow this week and saw both MCs and Malibus. I really liked the MCs, especially the X-series. But you are all right in saying that it makes sense to get behind the boats to test them, as it seems somewhat difficult to pick out the differences when looking at them from the outside alone.

My husband and I were talking to another couple who went to the show with us. The were intrigued by our passion for boating, unsure how someone could justify dropping $50,000+ on a boat. They said they must not "get it". I thought the whole gap between those who understand the passion of boating and those who don't was interesting. Was difficult to explain why we would want to make such an investment (i.e. a MC) in a boat. Thought I would post it just to see what you all think. What is the justification? What makes it worth it? I know why for me, but for all of you, curious to know, what is being out on the water about for you and how would you explain it to friends who thought you were crazy to spend so much on a boat?

they won't understand the value of making that purchase until they get to go out on your boat. give them a few times and they'll love it.

phecksel
01-10-2005, 12:34 PM
After owning two NEW M/C (bought 16 years apart), I wouldn't hesistate to buy another. CC may have a slightly better wake, but it comes at a hefty price tag.

Thrall
01-10-2005, 04:56 PM
KC, just my 2 cents, but you don't have to spend $50k on a new MC or other ski boat to have an awesome ride. If you look at used boats, 200-300 hrs is like buying a used car w/ 30k mi. It's still almost new and someone else has absorbed the initial depreciation.
If you get an older MC, you won't be dissapointed, performance or appearance wise. My boat is almost 10yrs old, new to me this year, performs flawlessly, and looks good. I get compliments all the time from people w/ much more expensive boats.

The8Ball
11-11-2010, 12:51 PM
It's been 5 years since someone posted to this thread. Well here it goes...

I was looking all summer for an inboard... and was only really looking at MC and CC. Generally, a boat 10-12 years old, less than 500 hrs, direct drive (easier to work on), ~21 feet, open bow, original equipment/interior (unmolested), and CLEAN. In the 15K to 17K range. It took a while to final find a boat that met all these screening criteria.

So it came down to either the Sport Nautique or the Pro Star 205, late 1990's models.

These were the tipping points, in favor of the 205, for me:

1.) Open WALK THRU bow. Not the 'play pen' that the SN had.
2.) More choices for GM engines on the MC vs. Ford on the nautiques.
3.) Corvette LT1 option on the MC... not an option for nautique.

For me... #3 was the final straw. How often can you own an LT1 powered anything... for the price of a nicely equipped Toyota Corolla? That's how I looked at it.

aswile
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I bought my first Mastercraft, a 1993 PS205, 10 years ago and just sold it- for $500.00 less than what I paid for it. I added a tower, new upholstery, put in oil and changed impellers. The boat started every time and ran flawlessly the entire time I owned it. The interior gave up two years ago, but the boat has been kept outside its entire life with only the factory cover. The boat was well designed, well made, stylish and high performance. I routinely got compliments about the boat even though it was 17yrs old. Cost of ownership, less fuel, was about $350/yr which included all my upgrades. Where else can you get that kind of cheap fun and great memories?

I know lots of folks who have major boat drama, but no one I know has trouble with their MC boats. I have found them to be a solid product that holds its value. Hopefully my new-to-me 2003 PS197 will provide the same cost-effective fun for the next 10 years!

kevkan
11-15-2010, 01:29 AM
I bought a used 1985 MC in 1986 for $13,000. Traded it in last summer for $5,500. And I think the dealer made money on the boat. So, in 24 years of ownership the boat lost $7,500 in value. I probably spent $1000 on repairs, in 24 yrs.

Abe
11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
I Got my First mc 2 years ago a 1990 pro 190. It cost me £8.500 here in the UK from Preston Marina. The main reason I got this boat was That a new Engine was put in along with most other new parts. Yes you probably will think that is expensive, but here in the UK you pay more than US. The dealer was fantastic, I had a few niggley issues with the boat once I got her home and onto the Loch, But The dealer just sent me the parts I needed Free. I bought this boat mainly cos its a mc, and for Resale value, And it hasn't let me down. All my Buddies here at the Loch cant believe its a 1990, and It gets a lot of admirers whilst sitting at the dock on a busy day. I don't think I will sell it and I,m confident that if I did I would not loose too much on it. The maintenance part is not that difficult, Oil, Filters, Winterizing ETC. The boat performs Superb wether skiing or wakeboarding or just cruising. :).
Hope you make the right choice.

aaron.
11-15-2010, 06:21 PM
MC's + (@)Y(@)'s = god's gifts to man