PDA

View Full Version : engine hatch fabric?

Rich_G
01-11-2007, 06:03 PM
anybody know what type of material this is on the inside of a 99 engine hatch / sunpad cover.

I am talking about the black nylon material that is used as a liner. It looks exactly like the windscreen at the tennis courts, except its black, and the ones at the courts are green.

I have reinforced the insert you see in the middle (that's just foam padding in the pic, and I've made a panel to go on the underside of the hatch that will fix where it was cracked. If I can cover the new panel with this same material it will have a more finished look, but it's not absolutely necessary.

My wife has already checked all the retail fabric places like Hancock, JoAnn Fabric, etc. This is pretty heavy nylon netting and it must be fairly heat resistant. It sits just a few inches above the exhaust manifold.

If any of our dealer members might know where MC used to source this stuff, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Rich

milkmania
01-11-2007, 06:05 PM
I've seen that same material at our local home depot in the garden center

it was black too

Rich_G
01-11-2007, 06:09 PM
btw, I am playing tennis tonight, and if our courts had black windscreens, there would be a 3'X4' cutout on Court #4 before midnight.

Milkmania, I will check HD and Lowe's; I'm not sure if that's the same stuff but maybe.

milkmania
01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Milkmania, I will check HD and Lowe's; I'm not sure if that's the same stuff but maybe.

it was identical to the black weave fabric that's used on my 91 PS190's rear bench seat.....

I think they use it for reducing the sunlight over something like a sun porch, etc.....

Rich_G
01-11-2007, 06:29 PM
it was identical to the black weave fabric that's used on my 91 PS190's rear bench seat.....

I think they use it for reducing the sunlight over something like a sun porch, etc.....

I assumed you were talking about landscape fabric at first, the stuff you put behind a retaining wall. Now that you mention it, the sunscreen fabric would probably work; maybe is the exact same as the OEM material. Great tip!

milkmania
04-21-2007, 06:10 PM
I found this stuff at Home Depot

Pet Screen (claims to be 7 times stronger than regular non metalic screen)
looks like there's also a product called Super Screen

picked up a roll from Home Depot for behind my bench seat, observer's seat,and driver's seat bottom

Rich_G
04-21-2007, 10:32 PM
I ended up using some stuff I ordered online, which was the sun screen / garden shade type of fabric. I had to make a plywood panel to repair the one-piece hatch, rather than replacing the whole thing meaning new padding, vinyl, etc. It was going to cost $800 to $900. I made this panel below, and covered it with the screen. The plywood in the background is not part of the fix. Not an exact match with the black screening on the underside of the hatch, but real close. this was less than a $50 repair project.

2000205V
04-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Looks good. Did you do anything to preserve the plywood? Untreated plywood in a boat will have a limited life.

Rich_G
04-22-2007, 10:14 PM
it's pressure-treated exterior plywood. I painted it before I covered it. This panel is mounted on the underside of the single-piece engine cover hatch on my 99 205V. It sits directly above the engine. Also, the edges are sealed with 3M 5200 sealant, so water probably won't be getting behind it.

I posted another thread when I was getting ready to do this project; asking about different materials, like the black poly board used as engine dividers. I had to bond this panel to my existing hatch material, and plywood turned out to be the best solution.

Rich_G
04-22-2007, 10:15 PM
it's pressure-treated exterior plywood. I painted it before I covered it. This panel is mounted on the underside of the single-piece engine cover hatch on my 99 205V. It sits directly above the engine. Also, the edges are sealed with 3M 5200 sealant, so water probably won't be getting behind it.

I posted another thread when I was getting ready to do this project; asking about different materials, like the black poly board used as engine dividers. I had to bond this panel to my existing hatch material, and plywood turned out to be the best solution.

Rich_G
04-22-2007, 10:18 PM
sorry for the double post; couldn't find a delete button

2000205V
04-22-2007, 11:10 PM

Nice. Sounds like it will last a lifetime.