PDA

View Full Version : '07 Ford Expedition & EL

Ryan
01-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Anyone on here have a new '07 Ford Expedition or Expedition EL?

I'm shopping and want to hear some impressions. Particularly whether it feels underpowered when towing your boat, and to get real world MPG info. Especially since the 4x4 EL is pushing well over 6000lbs with the engine listed below. I read that a larger engine and diesel option are coming in 08 or 09. But, I don't want to wait that long.
5.4-liter 3-valve Triton™ V-8
• 300 hp @ 5,000 rpm, 365 lbs.-ft. @ 3,750 rpm
• Standard 6-speed automatic transmission

SteveO
01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Getting rid of the 4Runner? That would be a tragedy. New Sequoia, or wait for the new body styled sequoia...

Ryan
01-11-2007, 05:26 PM
The Ford is no where near as much fun to drive as the 4Runner. The HP and torque are about only about 30 less on my 4Runner and it's almost 2000 pounds lower in weight. But my family is getting bigger and I'm afraid the pricing on the 08 Sequoia will far outpace the Ford. I will probably wait until after my move...which will be close enough to the Seq launch to make a decision then. I hope the styling is a little more refined than that of the '07 Tundra. I have searched for spy photos but only found some drawings and a very camo'd pic. If anyone has any '08 Sequoia info pass that on too.

Sodar
01-11-2007, 05:36 PM
The Ford is no where near as much fun to drive as the 4Runner. The HP and torque are about only about 30 less on my 4Runner and it's almost 2000 pounds lower in weight. But my family is getting bigger and I'm afraid the pricing on the 08 Sequoia will far outpace the Ford. I will probably wait until after my move...which will be close enough to the Seq launch to make a decision then. I hope the styling is a little more refined than that of the '07 Tundra. I have searched for spy photos but only found some drawings and a very camo'd pic. If anyone has any '08 Sequoia info pass that on too.
With all that camo I could easily mistake it for a Tahoe. Ryan, my man, come on here this whole Ford this is KILLING me... Pony up and buy a Suburban or Tahoe. About the only SUV that Ford ever made that was cool was the Diesel Excursion... even though the Excursion itself drove like crap, it was still a diesel in an SUV and that was totally cool!

JKTX21
01-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey hey hey! I love my Expedition. I originally wanted a Tahoe, but couldn't justify spending the extra $$$ for the essentially the same vehicle with the same options. I had a z71 before my Ford, and I'm happy to report that I am a changed man. (I would probably buy a Toyota or Nissan if I were going to spend that much). :rolleyes:

Sodar
01-11-2007, 05:51 PM
(I would probably buy a Toyota or Nissan if I were going to spend that much). :rolleyes:

I had a 2001 Tundra... it was a really good truck and was still pulling strong at 110,000 miles, but Toyota's interiors are seriously lame for the price you pay. I even think that the Lexus's lack interior appointments. Toyota has the reliabilty part down... we all know that... but they need to make there vehicle a little more "luxurious." Then they have been.

bstrom-tt
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Here's a web site I follow, might give you some more info. www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php I am looking also at the 07 expi. (don't think I need the EL) For me and my needs, the fold flat third row seat is a must. Looked at Chevy products, they look nice, but they don't have a fold flat 3rd row seat, so there out. Call me crazy, but I have always liked the look of the expeditions.

Ryan
01-11-2007, 06:01 PM
JKTX21, those are my sentiments. However, as much as I like the Armada, I won't do it because my kids won't be able to reach the rear door handle until for a couple years. For those who have kids you know how nice it is when they can climb in and buckle up all by themselves.

I thought this would be a Suburban Sequoia battle for me, and maybe I will go GM for the right price. However, while the front dash is nice and refined I feel there are quality, comfort, ease of entry-egress, challenges. And I'm not seeing good pricing on the Z71 that I prefer. The interior of the Ford is what wins for me from the two domestics. And while I don't get excited about the exterior styling, it's not horrible.
If I go Ford, I'll wind up getting the EddieBauer and have the lower sand cladding painted white to match - since they don't offer a white Limited.

BriEOD
01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
My wife has an 04' Eddie Bauer Expedition with 5.4L Triton (same motor as my F-150). We have been very pleased with the vehicle. No major issues except the interior. I have had to have the entire back (2nd row) seats replaced. The leather started cracking on just about every piece. It tows my PS 190 without issue. In fact we took about a 9 hour trip a few summers ago and had the Expedition loaded with people and gear while towing the boat. It did fine.

RobertT
01-11-2007, 06:14 PM
I just bought an 07 Expedition like you described for one of my employees as his bonus. I only picked it up from the dealer and drove it to my office but...

It has a bit more pep than the 07 Suburban that I just got for my wife. The interiors on all of the new big SUVs while plush and cool looking feels very much more cramped than even a few years ago. I liked the looks of the Ford, but the Suburban is the favorite for real world use.

Mileage on the Ford is 14.7, suburban is 15.5 but that is ALL driving in shopping mall parking lots (grrrrrr).

Never towed with either, sorry.

The fold flat seats of the ford are awesome! Thats a pretty big deal.

I have an excursion, and planned on getting rid of it and getting a new 3/4ton Suburban when the 07s came out but to be honest I decided to keep my Ford. Its just so dang nice and comfy, rides like crap and mechanically is not near what the GM product is but man, nothing like that room and capability.

All in all, if my truck were to get stolen and I could pick any vehicle, I would probably find a very low miles Excursion with the V10 and put about five grand worth of toys in it. Much more capable, and probably 20 thousand cheaper.

If not that, DEFINITLY the 3/4ton Suburban over the Expedition. The new GM platform is really nice...rides and handles much better than the Ford.

Again, this is based on driving the new Ford about five miles, and riding in it about two hundred. I have driven and/or ridden in the Suburban pretty often for three months.

For what its worth.

Ryan
01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
I just bought an 07 Expedition like you described for one of my employees as his bonus. I only picked it up from the dealer and drove it to my office but...

Wow! Nice bonus. You hiring?

CHaus21
01-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I would highly recommend the 07 Exped or Exped EL. The way this vehicle drives and handles is amazing. It is night and day from the previous generation Expeds.

One of the nicest features of the Exped is the power fold flat 3rd row seat. No heavy 3rd row seats to take in and out and store. It is especially nice when throwing all the boat gear in the back of the vehicle.

The 300 HP engine has more than enough power to get up and go and also tow b/c it is mated to a new 6 speed auto transmission.

If you haven't seen one, sit inside (you'll be amazed how nice the interior is) and drive it. Fantastic vehicle.

H20skeefreek
01-11-2007, 11:46 PM
I would have to say that the Expy is probably a bit overkill for pulling a 190/197, I am pulling with and old body style tahoe, but only b/c I got it for a SMOKIN' deal. I frequently pull with my v6 S10 4x4, and it does an good job.

That 5.4 seems awfully small for the Expy EL, I would think you'd want a bigger motor than a 332 cubic inch for a monster like that.

Can it be overkill for the boat, but underkill for haulin' it's own big but around?

H20skeefreek
01-11-2007, 11:49 PM
you beat me to it, so are you hiring?

PendO
01-12-2007, 02:30 AM

It has a bit more pep than the 07 Suburban that I just got for my wife.

That is why you get the Suburban with the 6.0L - or at least why i did:) HP/Weight ratio.

Still though, when I see the 07 Expy's they are damn nice looking ... one thing I don't care for in the suburban is that my kids can unbuckle the seatbelts from their booster seats pretty easy.

As far as engines go, you will likely see an upgrade to the navigator's hp/torque ahead of an increase to the expd. performance specs. 300hp/365torque

It's too bad they can't put the 6.8L gas engine that the put into the F250's into an expedition, 362hp/457tq which would be better than the 366/380 on the chevy 6.0L

prostar205
01-12-2007, 03:21 AM
If I go Ford, I'll wind up getting the EddieBauer and have the lower sand cladding painted white to match - since they don't offer a white Limited.

Ryan -

I have a '99 Expedition and I painted the Eddie Bauer trim white to match the rest of the truck. I absolutely LOVE my Expy. I have added everything short of a supercharger to that thing. I love the styling and it tows the X30 great - even over a 4,500 foot mountain pass in 85 deg weather.

Go for the Expy EL - that is what I would get if I did not love my '99 so much.

bcampbe7
01-12-2007, 09:39 AM

X2! I'm looking to move to the St. Louis area ya know! :D

RobertT
01-12-2007, 11:43 AM
X2! I'm looking to move to the St. Louis area ya know! :D

If any of you did what he did....you would get whatever you wanted too. I drive a two year old dirty ford, his bonus was a heck of a lot bigger than mine. I hired an older gentlemen that was pretty much written off by his previous employer. He gave me his word that if given the opportunity he could bid, manage, and complete the most profitable work we have ever seen.

I believed him, and went out on a limb.

In one year, because I gave him a LONG leash, he increased his divisions revenue and profit 850%.

I asked him what he wanted. Anything. A check, cash, trips, what? He said he had never had a nice new vehicle. His company car prior to this was a 2000 Ford 150 work truck. The largest bonus he has ever had prior to this was $1,000.00 several years ago. It felt really good to take care of somebody that deserved it.

He deserved it, and yes it is friggin nice!

Funniest thing is that he wanted one with a DVD player. He doesn't even have young kids obviously, so it will never get used.

Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Sodar
01-12-2007, 11:49 AM
That is really cool of you Robert!

Ric
01-12-2007, 11:53 AM
you know what to do .

JKTX21
01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I think the consensus is that you should buy the EL. :friday:

Sodar
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
And the angel on his right shoulder says:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/streetbeatcustoms_1928_801299177

bcampbe7
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
If any of you did what he did....you would get whatever you wanted too. I drive a two year old dirty ford, his bonus was a heck of a lot bigger than mine. I hired an older gentlemen that was pretty much written off by his previous employer. He gave me his word that if given the opportunity he could bid, manage, and complete the most profitable work we have ever seen.

I believed him, and went out on a limb.

In one year, because I gave him a LONG leash, he increased his divisions revenue and profit 850%.

I asked him what he wanted. Anything. A check, cash, trips, what? He said he had never had a nice new vehicle. His company car prior to this was a 2000 Ford 150 work truck. The largest bonus he has ever had prior to this was $1,000.00 several years ago. It felt really good to take care of somebody that deserved it.

He deserved it, and yes it is friggin nice!

Funniest thing is that he wanted one with a DVD player. He doesn't even have young kids obviously, so it will never get used.

Anyway, I thought it was funny.

That's awesome Robert. Good for you and him! :toast:

vegashomeexpert
01-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Just to chime in.... we have a '98 Expedition with the 5.4l. At that time it only put at 265 hp. This expidition only does 3 things these days: 1) Sit on the side of the house backed up to the X30 ready to... 2) pull the boat to the lake and 3) Since it is the only 4wd we have, it gets to go snow skiing a couple of times in the winter. Mechanical problems: zero. Mileage: 13 mpg at 80 mpg. Pulling the boat: 10.5 +/-. Oh yeah, 110k miles. 10K in the last 2 years, 90% of which is towing the boat and it does tow great.

BriEOD
01-12-2007, 10:25 PM
you know what to do .
WFT, you want to handle my light work.

Chief
01-12-2007, 10:34 PM
I still think the F250 Crew Cab Diesel is the best overall vehicle on the planet.

My top ten:

10. Pulls a house
9. Holds the whole family
8. Pretty decent on fuel
7. looks cool
6. Interior comfortable
5. rides nice
4. Lots of room for an awesome stereo
3. Pretty good on fuel while towing that house
2. Great engine warranty 5 years 100,000 miles.

And the number one reason for owning:

1. Great for making the neighbors think the garbage truck is early when you leave for work early on pickup day.

PendO
01-13-2007, 01:56 AM
So Ryan, how goes the search?

For any of you in the seattle area, when I was looking at fords the best prices I found was at a place over there called Millenium Ford (it is in Burien, WA), and there internet mgr's name was Craig (I think Craig Perkins) ... there are times when the 3rd fow fold flat seats would be nice, but with only the 2 kids (until june) we never really use the 3rd seat unless friends are in town, so I just keep it folded forward anyway. Anyway, their pricing was the best I found if you want something for comparison sake.

sludema
01-14-2007, 01:24 AM
I had a 2005 Tahoe, 06 Sequoia and a new 07 Expedition. Part of the comp plan - its a good gig!
Anyway, the Sequoia isn't in the same league as either the Tahoe or new Expedition, and to make matters worse it got worse mpg than either the Ford or Chevy! I put 17k miles on the Toy in about 10 months and after getting the Ford I couldn't believe the difference.

My Expedition is a Limited 4x2 short wheelbase, totally loaded incl Nav and rear seat DVD. It is incredible to drive. Smooth, quiet and powerful. Just went over 3000 miles and averaging 17+ mpg. Not bad for being brand new with a high mix of city driving. Have not had a chance to tow yet, which should be interesting with the new 6 speed tranny. I've driven the new Tahoe and it is also very nice. The 3rd row seats in the Ford can't be beat as far as ease of use/up/down vs. folding and hauling them out like in the Chevy and Toy.

In Dallas they are advertising $7k off new 07 Sequoia's. If anyone drove the Ford, Chevy and Toy, I can't imagine anyone buying the Toy.

Ryan27r
01-14-2007, 04:18 PM
With all that camo I could easily mistake it for a Tahoe. Ryan, my man, come on here this whole Ford this is KILLING me... Pony up and buy a Suburban or Tahoe. About the only SUV that Ford ever made that was cool was the Diesel Excursion... even though the Excursion itself drove like crap, it was still a diesel in an SUV and that was totally cool!

Wait till there s a Dmax in the sub and the new 4.4 Turbo Diesel in the expedition and El.

We got a new EL and I love it. It does take a while to get used to driving it but once you get used to it it is amazing. The rear seats are to narrow though not comfy for long trips and no heated rear seats *** or airconditioned ***. The air conditioned seats make it feel like you pissed your pants though:confused:. It pulls are boat fine 4500 pouds with gear and gas it also tows the sleds fine in the inline all aluminum trailer (4-Place 2200 pounds with out sleds about 5k with gear).

IF you live in a snowy climate take off the ****ty tires no profile or grip in wet snow! Double tow the snowmobile trailer out with the neibors tahoe and the EL. That pissed me off 2 hours to get the snowblower out of the trailer and the sleds. Anyways theres some new tires and wheels in the mail for the El.

Ill get some pics uploaded later

PendO
01-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Wait till there s a Dmax in the sub and the new 4.4 Turbo Diesel in the expedition and El.

not gona happen

not enough units to justify ford to invest in 2nd diesel that will fit the expedition

and the dmax is for a 3/4 ton platform, now, if they put a dmax into a 3/4 (2500) suburban that would be interesting, but again, it likely would not work on the 1500 platform (otherwise you cold get a dmax in a 1/2 ton gm truck.)

Ryan
01-15-2007, 02:07 PM
So Ryan, how goes the search?

Over the weekend I decided to hold off buying a new car until after we get into a house in OH. Unless I come accross a deal I cannot pass up. I am mostly tempted to buy now, because I have had a really easy time selling cars private party in So CA. I fear that Columbus being a smaller market will prolong the process of selling my 4Runner or affect my pricing.

I drove my brother-in-law's Yukon XL Denali around this weekend with the 6.0L and was please that it can accelerate at a rate close enough to my 4Runner to not get too bored driving. It still drives like a tall tank and there are already some squeaks and rattles, particularly in the door pannels. 10.4 avg mpg is a little disturbing though.

PendO, what kind of mileage are you seeing?

Sodar
01-15-2007, 02:22 PM
and the dmax is for a 3/4 ton platform, now, if they put a dmax into a 3/4 (2500) suburban that would be interesting, but again, it likely would not work on the 1500 platform (otherwise you cold get a dmax in a 1/2 ton gm truck.)

There has been a letter writing campaign from a few offshore boat sites that I vist, begging GM for a diesel to be put into a Suburban/Yukon XL. My neighbor had a '90 Suburban with a diesel and I would do anything to find one like it and restore it... those things were BEASTS!!

PendO
01-15-2007, 02:28 PM
PendO, what kind of mileage are you seeing?

in town around 12-13 (it's winter so most of the time we waste some gas letting the car warm up) ... on the hwy (spokane to billings) 17-18 ... that it with a lot of elevation changes ... I suppose the denali could see slightly better mileage with the 3.73, versus the 4.10 rear end on the suburban w/ the 6L

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I try not to look....seems like we are gettting 11-12 in town, 18-19 hwy in our 07 Denali. It seems dismal, but love the Denali so its worth it to me.

dapicatti
01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
double post

Ryan
01-15-2007, 02:54 PM
There has been a letter writing campaign from a few offshore boat sites that I vist, begging GM for a diesel to be put into a Suburban/Yukon XL. My neighbor had a '90 Suburban with a diesel and I would do anything to find one like it and restore it... those things were BEASTS!!

I had a '86 3/4ton Suburban, 4x4 with that Detroit Diesel in High School. It was great. At the time I really envied the '94 (I think it was) that had the turbo diesel decal down each of the two grooves in the hood and the better engine of the two IMHO.

bcampbe7
01-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Ryan, you should go back to the Land Rover famliy and pick-up a LR3! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My wife and I just bought a 2004 Yukon XL and couldn't be happier. Most everything about this vehilce is way better than our D2. The only thing I don't care for is that you see these vehicles everywhere you turn. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you, but... I wanted a nice smooth comfy ride due to the fact that we take long road trips a few times per year.

A firend of mine has a '06 4 runner and to be honest, I didn't care for the ride. His is a SE with V6 though, so take that for what it's worth.

Ryan
01-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Ryan, you should go back to the Land Rover famliy and pick-up a LR3! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My wife and I just bought a 2004 Yukon XL and couldn't be happier. Most everything about this vehilce is way better than our D2. The only thing I don't care for is that you see these vehicles everywhere you turn. Not necessarily a bad thing mind you, but... I wanted a nice smooth comfy ride due to the fact that we take long road trips a few times per year.

A firend of mine has a '06 4 runner and to be honest, I didn't care for the ride. His is a SE with V6 though, so take that for what it's worth.

I can't justify a Disco again. The LR3 is nice, but geeze they hiked the price more than the improvement in my eyes. The volume of Yuk/Subs sure helps with spare parts I suppose.

I agree the 4Runner isn't perfect for the passengers. Did you get to drive it? The V6 is pretty good night and day better than my '94 was. But the V8 combined with taught SE suspension is fun to drive for me.

I'm still waiting to find out what my next co. car will be. That may sway my buying and timing decisions in a lot of different directions.

Utahfoiler
01-16-2007, 12:17 AM
go with the Nissan Armada. It is slightly bigger, weighs less and has more power and better gas mileage.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/nissan/VehicleComparison?NissanSessionId=null&op=0&tab=advantage&isbasecar=true&modelid=&styleid=&refid=&maxvehicles=3&vehicleindex=&removestyle=&numCars=2&just=left&modelId0=100519483&styleId0=100804607&modelId1=100505831&styleId1=100782780

I have an 04 with 58,000 miles on it. I can tow my X-30 with no problem.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
WFT, you want to handle my light work.
If I ever meet her, I'll let you know....;)

Ryan
01-16-2007, 01:53 PM
go with the Nissan Armada. It is slightly bigger, weighs less and has more power and better gas mileage.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/nissan/VehicleComparison?NissanSessionId=null&op=0&tab=advantage&isbasecar=true&modelid=&styleid=&refid=&maxvehicles=3&vehicleindex=&removestyle=&numCars=2&just=left&modelId0=100519483&styleId0=100804607&modelId1=100505831&styleId1=100782780

I have an 04 with 58,000 miles on it. I can tow my X-30 with no problem.

Though I once disliked the mixed styling on the Armada, I really like it now. There is a lot more second row leg room than both pre-'06 and '07 Suburban. However, I have to pass it by since none of my kids can reach the rear door handle without a step ladder. I wish they'd have saved a few bucks in production and just used the rear doors on the 4d Titan.

I was doing some math last night. If I buy a used large SUV rather than new, I can raise my home purchase price by more than $20k. Those Excursions are going for CHEAP. My wife isn't a fan of the dutch doors though.

CHaus21
01-16-2007, 02:01 PM
not gona happen

not enough units to justify ford to invest in 2nd diesel that will fit the expedition

The redesigned Exped will get a diesel, as well as the Navi and the F-150. However it is going to be until at least 2009/2010 before you see a diesel in those vehicles.