PDA

View Full Version : More Y-pipe ?'s

TOO-TALL
01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I got the y-pipe today in the mail from DIM and I give a big shout out to those guys for speedy delivery.

I take the y-pipe out of the bag and this thing is cast metal not pcv..and it is rusting already...what the heck!!!.So i look down were the 1/8 hose attaches and see a very tiny,tiny hole for the water to return thru.Do you guys think this is right?? I work in a machine shop and can drill out the inside to open up the hole....What do you think this will do? better or worse?? I donno maybe the tiny hole is that size for a reason maybe it restricts the return flow from the heater thus leaving warm water in the heater for a longer amount of time. Here are som pics.

bigmac
01-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I got the y-pipe today in the mail from DIM and I give a big shout out to those guys for speedy delivery.

I take the y-pipe out of the bag and this thing is cast metal not pcv..and it is rusting already...what the heck!!!.So i look down were the 1/8 hose attaches and see a very tiny,tiny hole for the water to return thru.Do you guys think this is right?? I work in a machine shop and can drill out the inside to open up the hole....What do you think this will do? better or worse?? I donno maybe the tiny hole is that size for a reason maybe it restricts the return flow from the heater thus leaving warm water in the heater for a longer amount of time. Here are som pics.Yeh, it's supposed to restrict the return. Drill it out and it won't work.

If it's rusty on the outside and you don't like the looks, I'm sure it could be painted. If it's rusty on the inside, I'm sure it still looks better than the inside of your exhaust manifold.

TOO-TALL
01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeh, it's supposed to restrict the return. Drill it out and it won't work.

If it's rusty on the outside and you don't like the looks, I'm sure it could be painted. If it's rusty on the inside, I'm sure it still looks better than the inside of your exhaust manifold.

Guess I never thought about the rust in the exhaust manifoilds......

I'm not going to drill it out....I'll try to install it ths weekend..

Thanks...

kwood
01-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Does anybody know why MC doesnt put this "Y" pipe in from the factory, any long term problems?

prostar205
01-10-2007, 11:40 PM
I have the SKIDIM Y-pipe on my L-18 and it works great. The small hole is suppose to be that way to slow down the flow of water thru the system so ALL of the heat can be extracted from the water at the heat exchanger.

Put it in and you'll love it.

VTJC
01-11-2007, 02:29 AM
If you drill the hole out larger it will draw water through the heater to quickly so you wont get anymore heat. I had the same question when I got mine. It should almost have a label on it. Mine was nicely powder coated, no rust…

RobertT
01-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Where do you get these animals, and what is the best price?

prostar205
01-11-2007, 03:16 PM
SKIDIM

www.skidim.com

I think they are about $30.