PDA

View Full Version : tap power at starter?

kskib046
01-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Can anyone adivse on taping power for 4 ballast pumps (30amp fuse each) at the starter solenoid?

Power goes from the alternator, to the starter solenoid, to battery. I know the starter may draw 130amps, and the battery may give more, up to the cranking amps of the battery, so i would think the solenoid is safe.

I guess my question is, will it mess up the alternator, and the regulation of output on the alternator?

I will be getting my old 51amp to 105amp alternator back soon, and plan to upgrade the wires to 4 guage for the increased amps and would rather not toast it right away.

Any thoughts?

jimmer2880
01-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Can anyone adivse on taping power for 4 ballast pumps (30amp fuse each) at the starter solenoid?

Power goes from the alternator, to the starter solenoid, to battery. I know the starter may draw 130amps, and the battery may give more, up to the cranking amps of the battery, so i would think the solenoid is safe.

I guess my question is, will it mess up the alternator, and the regulation of output on the alternator?

I will be getting my old 51amp to 105amp alternator back soon, and plan to upgrade the wires to 4 guage for the increased amps and would rather not toast it right away.

Any thoughts?

I would not do it. If you ever have a problem starting your boat, I've seen the connections where the cable connects to the starter get RED hot. Enough to melt the shielding on the cable.

I'd run a seperate line.

rick s.
01-11-2007, 06:46 AM
I agree. I would run separate power for the ballast pumps from the battery. My second biggest fear when boating is not being able to start the motor. Biggest fear.....why are my feet getting wet?

Diesel
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
As long as the hot power cable between the starter and battery can handle the additional amperage there should be no problem. Given the cable is of adequate size there is no difference between hooking it up at the starter or directly to the battery. The battery cannot distinguish where the ballast pumps are hooked up nor does it care. Currnet is current and as long as the cable can handle the additional current you will be fine.

jimmer2880
01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
As long as the hot power cable between the starter and battery can handle the additional amperage there should be no problem. Given the cable is of adequate size there is no difference between hooking it up at the starter or directly to the battery. The battery cannot distinguish where the ballast pumps are hooked up nor does it care. Currnet is current and as long as the cable can handle the additional current you will be fine.

While I agree with you - I will say that I have seen "factory" cables (on auto's though - not MC's yet) get that hot.