PDA

View Full Version : Late to the Tivo Party

BrianM
01-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Well my wife and I have been debating on whether or not to get a Tivo for the last couple of years. I had a VCR go out a couple of years back and at the time we didn't want to spend the extra money for the Tivo box or the monthly service fee so I bought another HiFi VCR for $39 and called it done. We have always taped our regular shows since our schedules are crazy so we can watch at a later time ect. I am a master at the VCR programming and it has served us well.

Fast forward two years to yesterday. We got some money from the inlaws as a christmas gift and decided to bite the bullet and splurge on the Tivo. Bought the Series 2 Dual Tuner and paid for 3 years of service up front (I hate monthly payments for anything and the added bonus is you get a free year of service). Got everything hooked up yesterday along with the wireless network connection and am absolutely amazed. This thing has got to be the best thing since sliced bread. Set up your season pass for shows and forget about it. Not to mention the live TV pause rewind etc. I honestly don't know how we lived without it and I have only spent an evening with the thing. We are not really TV people but do have a handfull of things that we like to watch and this makes it even better.

The added bonus with the wireless network connection is being able to listen to music and browse photos on the TV/Home theater off of the computer. People come over and you want to show them photos no more gathering around the computer or having to plug the camera into the back of the TV. Click click click with the remote and everything is on screen.

So to anyone like me that has been thinking about it just do it.

east tx skier
01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I don't have a "Tivo," but have really enjoyed the dish dvr for the last couple of years. The wireless would be nice, as would an option to dump things to DVD.

BrianM
01-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I don't have a "Tivo," but have really enjoyed the dish dvr for the last couple of years. The wireless would be nice, as would an option to dump things to DVD.

Yeah with the wireless you can dump stuff to your computer and burn DVDs or load up the laptop with shows for the plane. Pretty neat stuff.

milkmania
01-10-2007, 05:26 PM

which Dishnetwork DVD's you got?

just got my second DVR625:woohoo:

phecksel
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM
Tivo is better then sliced bread :) We don't watch live TV anymore. Will your unit do the 30 sec skip ahead? I've unfortunately been needing to reprogram it daily with all the Direct TV system reboots :(

mitch
01-10-2007, 07:56 PM
What's a VCR? I think I remember seeing one on an episode of Dallas

KnoxX2
01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the Dark side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leroy
01-10-2007, 08:31 PM
It's the thing sitting next to a record player!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-10-2007, 10:08 PM
It's what I have on the shelf right next to this.....:o

east tx skier
01-10-2007, 10:10 PM
which Dishnetwork DVD's you got?

just got my second DVR625:woohoo:

Not too much. Just some old Simpsons episodes.

milkmania
01-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Not too much. Just some old Simpsons episodes.

oops:o

I meant to say "which Dishnetwork DVR you got"

I've got the 625 dual tuner DVR, and ordered the single tuner DVD 510..... 3 hours after install, told them to come get it! and bring me another 625

jeffrpod
01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Wife fought tooth and nail not to get a Tivo. The day we got it she said she didn't know how we lived without it. It's been 2 years or so now - and all we do now is fight over whose shows get saved because we're always running out of space. Can't beat the Tivo interface - although iTV looks promising - as does iPhone.

Didn't think my 2006 X2 would have the same kind of effect on my life - well I kind of thought it would.

milkmania
01-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Wife fought tooth and nail not to get a Tivo. The day we got it she said she didn't know how we lived without it. It's been 2 years or so now - and all we do now is fight over whose shows get saved because we're always running out of space. Can't beat the Tivo interface - although iTV looks promising - as does iPhone.

Didn't think my 2006 X2 would have the same kind of effect on my life - well I kind of thought it would.

I could watch "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel all day long

http://www.exn.ca/OnTV/series.asp?series=43901582&TZ=0

watching them build a kayak right now

east tx skier
01-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I probably have the one you sent back. Works for me.

suedv
01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I love TIVO!!!! Only thing I don't like is it adds to our collection of remote controls. We have a basket with about 5 of them next to the couch in our den.

kdr
01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Anyone here use dish network with Tivo. I have a Dish network receiver and you have to reset it every morning by pressing select on the Dish Network remote. It wasn't bad until I got tivo for Christmas. Now, I come home and find that all that Tivo recorded is the stupid Dish network logo. About 3/4 of what tivo has recorded on it's own is like this. ANyone know how to bypass the dish network reset?

BrianM
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I love TIVO!!!! Only thing I don't like is it adds to our collection of remote controls. We have a basket with about 5 of them next to the couch in our den.
Yeah one more remote but with the Tivo remote I don't really need the remote for my TV anymore so it just sits in the coffe table drawer along with the one for the VCR which will probably never get used again. So now I am pretty much back down to only 3 remotes.:rolleyes:

phecksel
01-12-2007, 01:55 AM
I have my receiver remote programmed to 95% of what's needed on all the components. Tivo remote has RF "batteries" installed, so I can control the TIVO from anywhere in the house. What's funny is if my wife has the Tivo remote and I have the receiver remote and we both try to operate the system.

suedv
01-12-2007, 08:10 AM
What's funny is if my wife has the Tivo remote and I have the receiver remote and we both try to operate the system.

At our house Rick sits with the "most important" remote in his hands at almost all times when we're in the room with the TV. ;) That's OK, I can deal with it. If he picks a show I don't like I either leave the room and get on the computer or fall asleep. :)

milkmania
01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Anyone here use dish network with Tivo. I have a Dish network receiver and you have to reset it every morning by pressing select on the Dish Network remote. It wasn't bad until I got tivo for Christmas. Now, I come home and find that all that Tivo recorded is the stupid Dish network logo. About 3/4 of what tivo has recorded on it's own is like this. ANyone know how to bypass the dish network reset?

on my dishnetwork 625, I can set the inactivity timer

and ALSO disable it

on mine go to menu, preferences, inactivity standby
set it for shut off after 4, 5, 6, 8 hours or turn it off completely.

but, yours may not have this feature since it's not DVR:o

btw, what model is it?

RickDV
01-12-2007, 12:43 PM
At our house Rick sits with the "most important" remote in his hands at almost all times when we're in the room with the TV. ;) That's OK, I can deal with it. If he picks a show I don't like I either leave the room and get on the computer or fall asleep. :)

You know the difference between how men and women use the remote: Women use to find out what's on TV; men use it find out what else is on TV. ;)