PDA

View Full Version : Dead at 35...

BriEOD
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
I wanted to share with you all that I lost a friend and former colleague, 2 days ago in Iraq. I met Tim about 10 years ago while we were both deloyed to Kuwait and our paths have crossed many times since. As some of you know, I was previously a military Explosive Ordnance Disposal Tech (Bomb Tech) (hence Brian+EOD=BriEOD) for nearly 10 years, as was Tim. I have since left EOD for another position with the Air Force. I have yet to read the "real" report on this incident and have only seen the press release. However, I know Tim was very competent. Unfortunately, I did not know the other 2 airman killed. The three of them were stationed at Hill AFB in Salt Lake City, Utah. Tim was married and had a few children. Dead at 35 years old. Wow. Tim was a Techincal Sgt, an E-6. He probably made between $30 and $40K a year and I imagine this was at least his 5th or 6th deployment to the Middle East. Tim was probably less than 5 years away from retirement. Recently I read that we (the US) have lost approximately 3000 airman, soldiers, sailors and marines in Iraq since transitioning from offensive operations to the reconstitution and policing phase (this phase we have royally screwed the pooch on in this officer's opinion) of OIF. I'm sure each one of those individuals had a story like Tim's. I share this with you as a humble reminder that their are some very noble people who serve our great country, for little money and who don't sit on the "hill" and squabble over their "agenda." Please keep Tim's family in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you,
Brian

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123037010

DOD identifies Air Force casualties

1/9/2007 - WASHINGTON (AFNEWS) -- The Department of Defense announced Jan. 8 the death of three Airmen who were killed Jan. 7 by a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device while performing duties in the Baghdad area supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The Airmen were assigned to the 775th Civil Engineer Squadron, Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

Killed were:
Tech. Sgt. Timothy R. Weiner, 35, of Tamarac, Fla.
Senior Airman Elizabeth A. Loncki, 23, of New Castle, Del.
Senior Airman Daniel B. Miller Jr., 24, Galesburg, Ill.

Tim's name, along with the other 2 airman, will go up on the EOD Memorial at the US Navy EOD School at Eglin AFB, FL (Ft. Walton Beach, FL). The memorial recognizes EOD personnel who gave their lives while in performance of EOD duties. Unfortunately, a lot of names have gone up the past few years. Their had been a huge lull since Vietnam.

http://www.eodmemorial.org/

sanjuan23
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
My thoughts prayers and condolences to his family and friends. Everyday we take advantage of the sacrifices that so many make to protect our freedoms.

Monte
01-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to all the men and women who have fallen, and to those still fighting for our freedom. My condolences Brian

PendO
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Brian, thank you for your service, and that of your fallen colleagues ... reading your post makes me both sad for the loss and angry that it ever happend ... when will it ever stop

betsy&david Harrison
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I am so very sorry to hear this. It is so difficult to lose a friend and colleague. I went through a similar loss this past summer. Please be there for his family if you can. They will need all the support you can give. My deepest sympathy

bcampbe7
01-09-2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear this Brian. My thoughts and prayers are with the family. Take care brother!

92 190 PS
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Brian sorry to here about this. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family especially the children.....

While I'm sure we all have opinions of the way this war has been handled, we need to be sure we're behind these guys and gals 110%. No question that freedom isn't free and every day I say a prayer for all of these folks that sacrifice so much for all of us that live in this great country. They truly are the best this country has to offer.....

Again, sorry to hear about the loss and thanks to you for your service....

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow, makes you really think about things. Dont take anything for granted. Very Sorry to hear this Bri, as I am sorry every time I hear of our soldiers falling. I just pray for some type of peace and relief for all of their families during such a tragic time of loss. :( I cant even imagine what they are going through.

mitch
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear Brian, our thoughts are with the family. Take care...

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 10:14 PM
Our prayers are with the families of all current and former military personnel. I also pray this "War" in Iraq will be over soon and our people return home!

Mikey
01-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Brian, I am sorry to hear about this. Its always hard to hear about the loss of a fellow airman.

victorff
01-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Our thoughts are with his family. If there is a need, has a Account been set up for the family if people wanted to give $?For myself, being former military it is honor to have known friends who have paid the ultimate price for freedom. Eventhough freedom is trying to be established in another country.

BriEOD
01-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the kind responses.

I'm not sure about an account. It has only been 2 days, I'm sure more to follow. I'll let you know if their has been.

Additionally, thank you for your service.

victorff
01-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Many people may not realize that 3000+dead does not include the hundreds of Contracted gunmen we have there who have given there life.

milkmania
01-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Many people may not realize that 3000+dead does not include the hundreds of Contracted gunmen we have there who have given there life.

I was once watching a news account of the 3000 men & women killed....

they tried to spin it off by talking about how many hundreds of thousands were killed in Vietnam, Korea, Phillipines, etc......

:mad:

victorff
01-09-2007, 11:45 PM
That number should be less. Considering the "Modern Age of Warfare."

east tx skier
01-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Brian, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sorry, too, for his family. They'll be in our prayers.

stevo137
01-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Brian,
This is really tough news to read especially since he was a personal friend and was so young.

Thoughts and prayers and taking a moment of silence to reflect while reading your post...

dapicatti
01-10-2007, 01:24 AM
Brian
Sorry to hear about your friend and fellow soldier.
Thanks to you and all like you who protect all of us.

quincyfirefighter
01-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Brian I will say a prayer for your Friend and his family and thank you from the bottom for my heart for you service.

Jesus_Freak
01-10-2007, 02:36 AM
My family and I have continually prayed for our valiant military. Thank YOU.

Maristar210
01-10-2007, 07:35 AM
Brian,

Puts a lump in my throat. I am sorry for your friend and his family.

Steve

Chief
01-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss brother.

SkiDog
01-10-2007, 08:17 AM
Seems like every time I run into any armed forces person, I tell him or her Thank you! And that certainly goes to you too Brian - Thank you! I really appreciate the sacrifice that you and every troop out there, does for us.(US) Sorry for your loss pal, I know it must be a tough one! I pray for and end to this damn war! Eddie

chudson
01-10-2007, 09:25 AM
Brian,
I feel as if I am in a line here at the Funeral Home for your friend and I guess in a way I am. I never know what to say to the family for their lose, words sometimes just can't make them fell better about what happened. My Church has a prayer chain list through email and when it's sent out for someone who has passed away it goes something like this: "Lord please look over his family and comfort them and may God hold him in the palm of his hand". I pass this on to you.
Cec

Ric
01-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I don't have the words, but I'll try..
I know guys are going to die protecting us, but it stings every time I read, hear about it or see it on tv. I don't know anyone personally who has died over there and hope I never do. But I can tell you that my deepest appreciation is felt for each and every single person doing what they do for me and my family every day that they are in the service.
Thank You and God bless the souls and the families of those we have lost.

Davo
01-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I too am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Sincere thanks to you for your service and, likewise, thanks to all of you who may be reading this that are currently enlisted in the military and/or veterans for your service. You, people, are what makes this country great!

Well said, Ric.

Harvey
01-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech. Sgt. Timothy R. Weiner, 35, of Tamarac, Fla.
Senior Airman Elizabeth A. Loncki, 23, of New Castle, Del.
Senior Airman Daniel B. Miller Jr., 24, Galesburg, Ill.

I salute all three of these servicepeople. They gave their lives for the safety and happiness of others. Everytime I hear about a serviceperson who has died a little piece of me dies. I feel for your loss Brian but it really pains me to know the loss that these three people's families have experienced. Once again thanks to these three people, Brian, and the rest of the men and woman who help protect our way of life.

RexDog1
01-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I am so sorry for you loss, My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Hoosier Bob
01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Sorry Brian for yours and our great loss. Take care and we will all pray for his family and be thankful yet regretful for his sacrifice.

BriEOD
01-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Thank you for all of the kind words on this thead and the PMs. I know his family appreciates it.

I was able to read the incident report "on the high side" yesterday. A sanitized version of what happened is that they were targeted. Meaning the bad guys set up a trap to lure them in and then killed them.

Sad, sad, sad....

I talked to some colleagues about him and we looked at some old pictures of him. He has a 13 year old and a 8 year old. Both girls. My heart goes out to them.

Ric
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I want em I mean we heard it last nite, we have the green lite
this is BS :mad:

we go over there, tearass and then get targeted by some punks?!

Saddamm is dead. I don't care who we offend, we need to start killing people and breaking things until this **** stops and our sons and daughters can come home with honor and pride for a job well done!

I was fishing last summer with a marine from the somalia years.. It's hard to get guys to talk about what they saw, but from what I gather, you get gungho hardass bloodthirsty marines up at 4am ready to kill (that is what they do) and then rush them into a room for an hour and a half to listen to a lawyer tell them what they cannot do today and then load them for bear, putem on a helo and go out and remember what they cannot do?! **************!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I know we will lose guys but a crappy old car set as a targeted trap for our guys?!

I'll shut up now. I am not the prez and I am not over there but fighting like this pizzes me off. It's like me telling Bri, I'm coming after you today, be warned, I am the one in the uniform making all the noise... you be the one in the bedshirt.. I will have one arm tied behind my back, ya cannot miss me!