PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen these trailer wheels?

TRBenj
01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I came across this boat a while back on Boat Trader, and the trailer wheels caught my eye. I havent seen any quite like them, and cant figure out where to get some. Does anyone else have these, or know where I can find more info about them? Thanks!

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/MCtrailerwheels.jpg

BrianM
01-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I believe that those are the wheels that MC just put on the trailer for the 35th Anneversary boat. Good luck finding a set. Maybe MYMC or BAWS can help.

TRBenj
01-09-2007, 05:35 PM
I believe that those are the wheels that MC just put on the trailer for the 35th Anneversary boat. Good luck finding a set. Maybe MYMC or BAWS can help.

Surely they werent manufactured solely for MC for such a short production run? Perhaps they were/are also available on other trailers/vehicles? Anyone know the original manufacturer?

Ric
01-09-2007, 05:58 PM
anybody got any sneak peaks of the 40th anniv boat?

TMCNo1
01-09-2007, 06:03 PM
Try Carlyle Tire and Wheel, Rick Willey @1-800-510-0560, at one time they were the supplier of wheels and tires to MasterCraft. Most OEM trailer wheels are trailer specific and there are distributors to boat and trailer manufacturers that they serve. I have also found that trailer wheels normally do not have a match for use on your tow vehicle, unless you just accidently come across a simular match.

Stritt
01-09-2007, 06:37 PM
As a past owner of a '03 anniversary, I can tell you they were American Racing Rims on GoodYear tires....18" if I remember correctly. Ask MyMC, I think I saw he has/had one for sale recently.

Sodar
01-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah, 35th has it right! They were American Racing wheels. I went on there website, but did not see much from them. I did not know American Racing bought out Coddington...

Jim@BAWS
01-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Good Old Jimbo at BAWS can get em

Give me a call or email me

jim.baws@verizon.net

(813) 996 2297

erkoehler
01-10-2007, 12:09 AM
As a past owner of a '03 anniversary, I can tell you they were American Racing Rims on GoodYear tires....18" if I remember correctly. Ask MyMC, I think I saw he has/had one for sale recently.

Not anymore :)

TRBenj
01-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Jim@BAWS, I sent you an email. Thanks!

TMC1, trailer axles use a common bolt pattern (my dual axle uses 5x4.5"). The same pattern was/is used on many cars and trucks, so as long as they have an appropriate size, backspacing and weight rating, I would imagine they could be used on a trailer pretty easily.

They dont look big enough to be 18" wheels (I would guess 15") but I could be wrong. Sure do look nice though. Anyone have any better pics?

TMCNo1
01-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Jim@BAWS, I sent you an email. Thanks!

TMC1, trailer axles use a common bolt pattern (my dual axle uses 5x4.5"). The same pattern was/is used on many cars and trucks, so as long as they have an appropriate size, backspacing and weight rating, I would imagine they could be used on a trailer pretty easily.

They dont look big enough to be 18" wheels (I would guess 15") but I could be wrong. Sure do look nice though. Anyone have any better pics?

It was explained to me by the gentleman I listed previously that as a general rule, trailer wheel/tires need to be somewhat stronger, especially for single axle trailers, because there are different weigh loads and stresses on trailer tires then on cars/trucks and since a majority of trailer boats are single axle and 5 on 4.5", they then use them on tandems as well to reduce inventory for everyone. I run 8"x15" chrome steel automotive wheels on our single axle trailer and on the van, but I did some research prior to purchase to be sure they met trailering requirements. I found a set of MC Aluminum wheels 5 on 4.5" once and tried to find a match for the van, 5 on 5", but no match was available, because they were trailer specific. Things have changed in recent years because of the CNC Billet and other forms of manufacturing that make most aluminum wheels stronger than needed and have allowed trailer manufactures like MC to use production line wheels from the automotive side or limited edition one-off wheels manufactured to the companies specifications with the manufactures name CNC'd or cast into the wheel, especially on tandem axle trailers as you have pictured. Still there are stresses on tandem axle trailers (sideways) that single axle trailers don't have, but the load is 1/2 as much per wheel/tire.

TRBenj
01-10-2007, 02:14 PM
trailer tires need to be somewhat stronger

I assume you meant trailer wheels, but youre right. Small truck wheels would be a safer bet than those intended for a car, and each wheel would carry less weight when installed on a tandem trailer.

Im guessing that some automotive center caps may be too small to fit the hub of a trailer axle through, so thats another consideration.

Im still curious if those 35th wheels were originally made for a trailer or a car- I havent seen anything quite like them before.

TMCNo1
01-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I assume you meant trailer wheels, but youre right. Small truck wheels would be a safer bet than those intended for a car, and each wheel would carry less weight when installed on a tandem trailer.

Im guessing that some automotive center caps may be too small to fit the hub of a trailer axle through, so thats another consideration.

Im still curious if those 35th wheels were originally made for a trailer or a car- I havent seen anything quite like them before.

In earlier replies, several say they are American Racing wheels, but probably aren't made and sold today. Jim@ BAWS (post #8) says he can get them or has them, contact him.
Most wheel center holes are fairly close, somewhere around 2 1/4", but because the hub with the bearing buddie or oil wash bearing is longer the center caps for wheels with covered lug nuts or the bullet type center caps are closed and won't work unless you have them drilled or cut for the hub to go thru. The trailer wheel manufacturers produce all types of center caps open for the hubs and are usually specific to that wheel or style of wheel. I fought that battle till I found some S/S centercaps open on the end, but had to use a exhaust pipe expander to open up the holes for the larger BB and the bra that covered the BB.

TRBenj
01-10-2007, 03:41 PM
In earlier replies, several say they are American Racing wheels, but probably aren't made and sold today. Jim@ BAWS (post #8) says he can get them or has them, contact him.

I already emailed Jim.

Searched for American Racing and youre right- those wheels arent in their lineup. A search for "American Racing trailer wheels" came up empty.