PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT let this guy drive your boat!

Sodar
01-09-2007, 01:23 PM
U.S. Submarine Collides With Japanese Ship

AP

TOKYO (Jan. 9) - A U.S. nuclear-powered submarine collided with a Japanese oil tanker in the Straits of Hormuz, through which 40 percent of the world's oil supplies travel, officials said.

No one was hurt in the accident that happened Monday night in the 34-mile wide straits, which are bordered by Iran and Oman and serve as the entrance to the Persian Gulf.

Damage to the fast-attack USS Newport News submarine and the supertanker was light and there was no resulting spill of oil or leakage of nuclear fuel, officials from the U.S. Navy and the Japanese government said.

Both ships remained able to navigate, Navy officials said.

The bow of the submarine was traveling submerged when it hit the stern of the supertanker Mogamigawa as the vessels were passing through the Straits, causing minor damage to the Japanese vessel, the U.S. Navy and Japan's Foreign Ministry said. The Japanese government said it was informed of the crash by the Navy and the U.S. Embassy in Tokyo.

Commander Kevin Aandahl of the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet in Bahrain confirmed there had been a crash and that there were no injuries aboard either ship. Aandahl said the submarine had surfaced and its crew was evaluating damage.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/us-submarine-collides-with-japanese-ship/20070109100909990002?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 02:16 PM
I've been in one of those Subs...I wouldn't want to be the "driver"

And if I were on that tanker and saw it coming:eek3: ...There are no words to decribe what I would be thinking...

bigmac
01-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Rather than just taking the word of the Associated Press and calling this highly trained naval officer an idiot right off the bat based solely on a newspaper story, I think I'd be inclined to wait and see how the rest of the story unfolds. I realize that it's extremely rare that the news media ever gets these things wrong, but just on the off-chance, I think I'll reserve judgement.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Rather than just taking the word of the Associated Press and calling this highly trained naval officer an idiot right off the bat based solely on a newspaper story, I think I'd be inclined to wait and see how the rest of the story unfolds. I realize that it's extremely rare that the news media ever gets these things wrong, but just on the off-chance, I think I'll reserve judgement.
Completely agree.........

jsc0324
01-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Hate to say it, don't like to see anything bad happen to anybody, but I have to agree with Workin4Toys, it looks pretty bad for the sub driver. The Navy does not look favorably upon "drivers" that find themselves in these situations. This is up there with beaching your ship and jeopardizing your entire crew, mission and one enormous asset. How big was that oil tanker anyway? Perhaps they missed it when they scanned the horizon? Did that thing pull out in a crazy way in front of the sub?

On the flip side, maybe they were practicing to see how close they could get?

I understand the point of not being judgemental, but the reasoning is going to be interesting on what caused this.

Sodar
01-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I would think that the Associated Press is a pretty reliable source, considering it was a legitimate source for many on my research papers in my undergraduate courses, but I do undertand where you are coming from Mr. Mac and all I can say is "TOUCHE"!

I do however think that when you are dealing with a billion dollar peice of machinery with state of the art navigation and positioning equipment aboard that mistakes like this should not happen!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I can't recall (And I don't feel like searching right now:o ) but wasn't it a year or two ago that a fishing boat got "hit" in a similar manner?

Sodar
01-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I can't recall (And I don't feel like searching right now:o ) but wasn't it a year or two ago that a fishing boat got "hit" in a similar manner?

Yes, off the coast of Hawaii. It was also a Japanese ship!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Maybe we all have too many "at" sea....:o

Ryan
01-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Let me get this straight. The sub rear-ended the tanker? LOL!!!! Maybe that shouldn't be funny, but it cracks me up!

River Rat
01-09-2007, 04:01 PM
[QUOTE=SodarSki73]I would think that the Associated Press is a pretty reliable source, considering it was a legitimate source for many on my research papers in my undergraduate courses,

But thats usc 8p were the song girls wear no undies:D

shepherd
01-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Think they'll declare war on us? :cool:

Sodar
01-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Think they'll declare war on us? :cool:

I hope not... they already got us good once before!! :rolleyes:

Davo
01-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Something doesn't add up....with all of the navigational capablities/systems of that sub (or so I would assume)...maybe they were trying some stealthy manuver or covert operation type stuff? Hmmm.

shepherd
01-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Maybe they were trying to sneak into the Persian Gulf behind/under the tanker (like in that old WWII movie "Destination: Tokyo"). Just got a little too close. Remember, even with all the sophisticated equipment, those guys are still basically driving blind.

Sodar
01-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Here is another report, but it is again from the Associated Press, so I am not sure if it is reliable or just a hoax!!

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/01/09/news/latest_news/f63b262594066e1f8625725e00188e20.txt

WTRSK1R
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I especially like the way they use spell check in the Sioux City Journal.
Here is the headline

"U.S. sub, Japanes ship collide
1:15 AM "

DanC
01-09-2007, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=SodarSki73]
WHAT AN IDIOT! ;)

Since you put it in caps I assume you are serious. In which case, I ask what are our qualifications to decide who is the idiot? I have spent enough time on military ships in commercial lanes to have seen first hand how these scenarios occur. You have no idea what idiotic or illegal maneuver the commercial captian may have made. And it's not like in the movies. These things don't handle like a MasterCraft and you have no idea what the sub commander's mission was.
If you were joking, I apologize for not recognizing the humor.

bigmac
01-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Oh yeah...hitting anything with a Big Grey Boat most definitely tends to have negative career impact, and I'm not really sure that the Navy cares very much WHO was at fault - highly unlikely that any such captain would escape with career intact.

Commander Kirk Lippold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Lippold)

Cody
01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
I had several friends on that boat. Alot of people will lose their jobs.